• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will there ever be another scientific breakthrough as groundbreaking as Relativity

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
Will Einstein's General Theory of Relativity always be seen as the most groundbreaking scientific achievement

has the ship sale,could we ever find a theory that supersedes it

even quantum mechanics which is the other pillar of physics isn't seen as "revolutionary" as GR was or as counter-intuitive

what I am trying to say is the development of Quantum Mechanics followed much more logical sense in a way while GR kind of came out of no where and shocked everyone?

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
Darwin's theory was more influential both scientifically and psychologically.

i dont know about that

evolution as a concept was something that was pondered by even the greeks, it was always a recurring idea throughout the ages, Darwin's big idea was describing the mechanism of evolution

General Relativity was something that was literally out of nowhere, a highly counter intuitive theory that completely changed the way we think about space and time

Darwin's theory of Natural Selection obviously had more social and political ramifications, but alot of that is because his theory is much easier for a layman to get the basic concepts compared to Einstein's work

womfalcs3

Banned
His theories of relativity only opened up more questions about the universe.

For example, if time is placed in the construct of space-time, and it only began with the big bang, then what exists beyond the boundary of the universe (or outside the big bang, since we are presumably expanding into something)? If the past, present, and future are only an illusion to us, and time only exists inside the universe, then they must take place at the same time outside the universe.

i dont know about that

evolution as a concept was something that was pondered by even the greeks, it was always a recurring idea throughout the ages, Darwin's big idea was describing the mechanism of evolution

General Relativity was something that was literally out of nowhere, a highly counter intuitive theory that completely changed the way we think about space and time

Darwin's theory of Natural Selection obviously had more social and political ramifications, but alot of that is because his theory is much easier for a layman to get the basic concepts compared to Einstein's work

You are so very wrong on both counts.

Natural selection was much more revolutionary than you give it credit. Not to mention more contriversial.

And General Relativity did not come out of no where. It was a very logical progression of the ideas of its time.

If I was to point to any single biggest breakthrough in Science it would be Newton. For his descriptions of gravity, orbital mechanics as well as light.

Alx

There probably will, maybe it even happened already, but it won't be the same because that turn in science marked the spot when for most people it went from "I kind of get how it works" to "only scientists can understand that".
Such a major breakthrough won't be acknowledge by common people because all they'll hear is "the stuff that was complicated already became even more complicated".

Razorback

I believe most physicists work under the assumption that physics can be "solved".
By that I mean that there's an actual end to it, an ultimate theory that explains everything.

So when something like string theory (a strong candidate for this theory of everything) is proven experimentally, that would be far more important than general relativity.

llien

even quantum mechanics which is the other pillar of physics isn't seen as "revolutionary" as GR was or as counter-intuitive

I don't agree with this assessment.
As far as impact on our lives goes, GTR does very little. It allows us to correct clock on GPS satellites (which, I'd argue, we'd be able to do even without GTR) and not much beyond that.

Quantum Mechanics allowed us to understand semiconductors, which are pretty much everywhere today, starting with your TV and ending with methods used by your health insurance.

Einstein enjoyed being the most hyped scientist of all times (perhaps for good reasons) and his legacy tends to be overrated.

womfalcs3

Banned
As far as impact on our lives goes, GTR does very little. It allows us to correct clock on GPS satellites (which, I'd argue, we'd be able to do even without GTR) and not much beyond that.

Quantum Mechanics allowed us to understand semiconductors, which are pretty much everywhere today, starting with your TV and ending with methods used by your health insurance.

Einstein enjoyed being the most hyped scientist of all times (perhaps for good reasons) and his legacy tends to be overrated.

By trial and error? And we may have stumbled upon the theory that way, but of course our scientific achievement would have been held back.

Genetic Engineering.

We are close to not only be able to design new medicines, but also new forms of life. We can create new viruses than rewrite the entire genoma, deleting diseases, improving the human body, etc.

Also new quantum computers will increase significantly the IA so a new era of communication human - machine will begin.

womfalcs3

Banned
Genetic Engineering.

We are close to not only be able to design new medicines, but also new forms of life. We can create new viruses than rewrite the entire genoma, deleting diseases, improving the human body, etc.

Also new quantum computers will increase significantly the IA so a new era of communication human - machine will begin.

I am sorry. "Create"? We don't create. Energy and mass cannot be created or destroyed by us human beings. We only transform the molecular structure into new things.

I'm sorry for focusing on it, but I want to combat this sense of arrogance that humans, by nature, adopt.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
A general A.I (Human level intelligence)

Even a human level A.I would be a super A.I very shortly because computers can calculate so much faster then human brains.

A problem that takes a human a year could take an A.I and hour to solve.

I am sorry. "Create"? We don't create. Energy and mass cannot be created or destroyed by us human beings. We only transform the molecular structure into new things.

I'm sorry for focusing on it, but I want to combat this sense of arrogance that humans, by nature, adopt.

I didn't refer to create mass, I'm saying that you have a pot with the 4 nucleotides and you can design a new helix of DNA that can codify a new never before existing being.

llien

By trial and error? And we may have stumbled upon the theory that way, but of course our scientific achievement would have been held back.

By trial and error and, actually, quite easily. Whether that would lead to GRT... I don't know enough to judge that. From what I know, it was not that much Mercury orbit, but the notable equivalence of gravitational and inertial mass and mere attempt to extend Special Relativity Theory.

It is notable that GTR is the most elegant, but not the only theory explaining known phenomena.

A note about trial and error, you'd be surprised how often it is used by scientiests. I've read an article about simulation of an electro static discharge experiment, in which, to get calculated results close to theoretical, researchers introduced "multipliers" of come interim values (they started with 5, then reduced it to 3).

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Erm... yes? So much stuff out there in the universe we still cannot explain with our understanding of physics. Therefore it's pretty much given that one day some new theory will blow our minds again.

-Minsc-

There probably will, maybe it even happened already, but it won't be the same because that turn in science marked the spot when for most people it went from "I kind of get how it works" to "only scientists can understand that".
Such a major breakthrough won't be acknowledge by common people because all they'll hear is "the stuff that was complicated already became even more complicated".

It all works by magic. That's enough for me.

Monocle

Yes, eventually. Genetic modification is going to radically transform human society if we don't permanently ruin it first.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads

I don't think he is overrated at all

QM was developed by a series of scientists all working on the problem around the same time

GRT is Einstein's baby, while its true there were others that had the mathematical principles written down like Hilbert etc.

the physical ideas of GRT is all Einstein, a singular man which makes it more impressive in my opinion

Considering Einstein worked in a patent office at the time, I would not be surprised that his work was an agglomeration of other people's work either, in fact he built his work over Newtonian laws just modified for multiple perspectives.

llien

Magnets for one
I'm still puzzled, unless this was sarcasm.

I don't think he is overrated at all

QM was developed by a series of scientists all working on the problem around the same time

GRT is Einstein's baby, while its true there were others that had the mathematical principles written down like Hilbert etc.

the physical ideas of GRT is all Einstein, a singular man which makes it more impressive in my opinion

All that is true, but how do you define "most groundbreaking"? Compare what Newton's laws led to (mostly by himself, by the way along developing math apparatus where it was lacking), in what way was that less groundbreaking?

My point is, GTR, while fascinating, had very small practical (engineering) impact on our civilization, unlike Newton's laws or QM.

Curios that Einstein got his Nobel's premium for photo effect and not GRT or SRT.

Rick1o1

It's difficult to say if the most groundbreaking discoveries are already behind us or that they are still ahead of us. I'd say the latter is more likely. We are still relatively primitive in lots of stuff like what we use as energy for example. There are so many things left to discover that we probably can not even imagine yet. And history shows us time and time again that what we think we know turns out to not be true at all.

YourMaster

It's difficult to say if the most groundbreaking discoveries are already behind us or that they are still ahead of us. I'd say the latter is more likely. We are still relatively primitive in lots of stuff like what we use as energy for example. There are so many things left to discover that we probably can not even imagine yet. And history shows us time and time again that what we think we know turns out to not be true at all.

I disagree here. I would agree that there's loads more to learn than we already know, and that there will be developments that will fundamentally alter our way of life, but if the knowledge discovered is as groundbreaking as the discoveries we've made so far I strongly doubt,....

We originated from a situation where the only way to communicate was with sounds, and all every day was simply struggling to feed ourselves and any encounter with a predator or disease could prove fatal. We had no understanding of the nature of the world, not just the planet at large, but no understanding of why it rained, why there are seasons, why some things are good to eat and other bad, or where the animals around us came from.
Since than we've learned so much, and yes, we've often been wrong, the earth isn't flat, isn't created by a god, there are more than 4 atoms, the sun is quite big and the universe really large, but by know we actually do have a very functional understanding of everything around us. The gaps in our knowledge are in the details or in the things further away than we could ever reach or smaller than we can ever see.

We know we are on a planet, we can calculate and predict the movement of it and all other objects in our universe, we can communicate through time and space, we understand toxins, diseases and nutrients, we understand spacetime itself and we can go anywhere on our planet and back quickly and safely. We have easy lives without any real worries.
Arguably the only changes that can impact our lives more than they already have from our beginnings are either the start of intergalactic live, or complete virtualization. And we already know and understand more about those things than we did about getting to the point we are know.

My guess is that the next major step(or stop?) in human development is the development of artificial being that has an intellect superior to our own.

Kimawolf

Of course. Warp/higher dimensional/ worm hole travel. Definite proof(or disproof) of life after death. Immortality.

GuT( grand unification theory). Lots of other things.

Top Bottom