• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh wow I didn't even notice all that going on in this thread earlier. pretty insightful post from my dude Alf. dat Mel Gibson hot button issue.

I understand why people would be averse to watching any mel gibson movies, he's said some vile shit. and his apology for it didn't sound particularly meaningful either. it wouldn't wash everything away but man he really needs to legitimately come forward and outright discuss his past one of these days, or risk always having it held against him.

i like the actor though particularly in film and behind the camera too so I'm there for a mel gibson directed suicide squad 2. if it's those other 3 useless bums then I'll pass in theaters unless the trailers/reviews are amazing.

but yeah boycott it if he directs by all means, it would be an understandable action to take.

Yager

Banned
Raptor is Donal Trump, confirmed.

Bro, you could have said that in a PM considering it's a message for Raptor. Thing got out of control, Raptor apologized, there's no need to derail this damaged community anymore.

Mel is probably not a good human being, but he's a great director, so yeah, I'd like to see his version of SS.

oh wow I didn't even notice all that going on in this thread earlier. pretty insightful post from my dude Alf. dat Mel Gibson hot button issue.

I understand why people would be averse to watching any mel gibson movies, he's said some vile shit. and his apology for it didn't sound particularly meaningful either. it wouldn't wash everything away but man he really needs to legitimately come forward and outright discuss his past one of these days, or risk always having it held against him.

i like the actor though in particularly in film and behind the camera too so I'm there for a mel gibson directed suicide squad 2. if it's those other 3 useless bums then I'll pass in theaters unless the trailers/reviews are amazing.

but yeah boycott it if he directs by all means, it would be an understandable action to take.

And, brother, I appreciate your understating of the issue, and your willingness to look past it. I don't feel that I (personally, of course,) have said anything to the contrary. I watched (or rather, slept through) Passion, which was brought to my home by an acquaintance. I thought (brought by same acquaintance multiple times until I watched it) Apocalypto was a phenomenal flick.

I still have my reservations because that "apology" was anything but/weak as all fucks. That's me, though. I'm not demanding that anyone view Gibson through my lens. That's lazy, preposterous, and frankly, unfair. What I WON'T ride with is this sentiment that anyone is soft, too sensitive, or needs to get over shit. That's a bridge too far..particularly from those who weren't the ones he disparaged.

He ain't your fucking daddy..stop being so defensive..

Bro, you could have said that in a PM considering it's a message for Raptor. Thing got out of control, Raptor apologized, there's no need to derail this damaged community anymore.

Mel is probably not a good human being, but he's a great director, so yeah, I'd like to see his version of SS.

Guy..I said I'd respond in a while to his post, so I did. Not sure how exactly I "derailed" anything, but I guess I should just keep my opinions to myself. He didn't PM what he said. Didn't realize continuing a conversation was a no no. Any random person can come in here and either agree or be appalled.

Congrats on the get tho..SS2 will be the tits, I'm sure. Let me know how I should go about open discussing from this point forward, as to not disrupt the harmony in here..😕

Good grief..

---

Sorry for the double post, and joining at this point..

Yager

Banned
Guy..I said I'd respond in a while to his post, so I did. Not sure how exactly I "derailed" anything, but I guess I should just keep my opinions to myself. He didn't PM what he said. Didn't realize continuing a conversation was a no no. Any random person can come in here and either agree or be appalled.

Congrats on the get tho..SS2 will be the tits, I'm sure. Let me know how I should go about open discussing from this point forward, as to not disrupt the harmony in here..😕

Good grief..

---

Sorry for the double post, and joining at this point..

Yoooooooo, don't take what I said so personal man. I don't mind that you wanted to post that stuff for all us to read, it was just a suggestion that after that fireball got out of hands things seemed to be calm again, and then you post that. Nothing else.

And the derail thing was a joke (hence the damaged community comment). I mean, the tone of my post it's pretty clear when the first thing I sad is "Raptor is Donald Trump confirmed".

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Pfft, and you people thought Snyder would tear us apart! Gibson hasn't even been confirmed yet.

Also, goddamnit Raptor. Why is it always you?

Yoooooooo, don't take what I said so personal man. I don't mind that you wanted to post that stuff for all us to read, it was just a suggestion that after that fireball got out of hands things seemed to be calm again, and then you post that. Nothing else.

And the derail thing was a joke (hence the damaged community comment). I mean, the tone of my post it's pretty clear when the first thing I sad is "Raptor is Donald Trump confirmed".

Fires, or fireballs, should be dealt with, not ignored..unless we're ok with the forest burning down. I guess I missed the joke..wasn't my intention in the slightest.

To be fair, the tone of Raptor's post was taken EXTREMELY fair by myself, initially. Unfortunately, in life, folks tend to disappoint. If I misunderstood you, then I apologize. I've had people in my home, whom I've JUST MET, their kids playing with mine, pass me a beer, and ask me "What's the difference between a nigger and a bucket of shit?"

Not the "internet" as folks love to call the collective of human beings behind a keyboard or iPhone/Android. To my face. Not a laughing matter. Not a thing to discuss in private, to me. It's hard to tell at times. Again, I stated that I would address it later on, so I did. Apologizes if I came off too strongly..

This was absolutely NOT the conversation I was expecting to have tonight..here, or otherwise..and I live in Florida lol.

Yager

Banned
Fires, or fireballs, should be dealt with, not ignored..unless we're ok with the forest burning down. I guess I missed the joke..wasn't my intention in the slightest.

To be fair, the tone of Raptor's post was taken EXTREMELY fair by myself, initially. Unfortunately, in life, folks tend to disappoint. If I misunderstood you, then I apologize. I've had people in my home, whom I've JUST MET, their kids playing with mine, pass me a beer, and ask me "What's the difference between a nigger and a bucket of shit?"

Not the "internet" as folks love to call the collective of human beings behind a keyboard or iPhone/Android. To my face. Not a laughing matter. Not a thing to discuss in private, to me. It's hard to tell at times. Again, I stated that I would address it later on, so I did. Apologizes if I came off too strongly..

This was absolutely NOT the conversation I was expecting to have tonight..here, or otherwise..and I live in Florida lol.

No I get what you're saying, but at the same time I know Raptor and I believe 100% he didn't intend to make this discussion a thing. I've experienced something like you said myself (not for being black, but for being from southamerica) countless times, and while I get what you're saying, I don't think this situation is comparable.

Anyway, a damaged director for a damaged crowd kinda fits.

No I get what you're saying, but at the same time I know Raptor and I believe 100% he didn't intend to make this discussion a thing. I've experienced something like you said myself (not for being black, but for being from southamerica) countless times, and while I get what you're saying, I don't think this situation is comparable.

No worries, Yager. I know the deal. I 100% don't believe it was his intention either, for what it's worth..but it never hurts to educate. Have a good night, man.

Yager

Banned
No worries, Yager. I know the deal. I 100% don't believe it was his intention either, for what it's worth..but it never hurts to educate. Have a good night, man.

No worries and agree. Good night to you man, I'm at fucking work, so no good night for me.

So, if Gibson agrees to do it, do you think he'll push for an R movie?

He only started fearing and wonderin what his role in the world would be after Lex's machinations. He tries to save Lois and villagers from being killed by drone strike, it leads to according to news media power vacuum that causes people to be slaughtered, he tries to explain himself and the events that took place and he thinks a crazy guy tries to blow up the govt building, said crazy guy thinks he is too blame for collateral damage thatr was 99% caused by Zod. I'd be pretty pissed off too.We live in a world where the press can distort events like crazy, lies can spread faster than the truth and where unseating crazy leaders leads to power vacuums whether it's Libya, Iraq, Syria etc> the more i think about the film the more respect I have for it.

Nothing here refutes my point. He has Lois, and the core of Superman is doing the right thing regardless of circumstance. The animated series had him do a reign of terror on Earth and guess what? He still did the right thing, kept Lois and led the JL to atone for that even with everyone questioning him.

BvS misses the point, clumsily explores interesting concepts and bungles everything else except the action scenes.

Oh and Mel "wild niggers" Gibson? Instant pass.

IconGrist

I appreciate your effort, Gordon. It's always better to try and educate when you can rather than to attack. I'm not in a position to do that myself so thank you for taking the time. As said from one of my favorite movies, "Evil begets evil."

How did Mel Gibson go from shittalking CBMs to looking to direct one?

Seriously though, shitty behaviour aside, Gibson would be a pretty good get for WBs and to me it says they are not looking to make more typical CBMs. Although same could be said about Ayer and look how that turned out. Wait and see I guess.

What I'm saying..there's room for PG-13 and R.

What I am saying is... I don't wanna see a damn PG-113 movie from Mel Gibson ever again.

Seriously though, shitty behaviour aside, Gibson would be a pretty good get for WBs and to me it says they are not looking to make more typical CBMs. Although same could be said about Ayer and look how that turned out. Wait and see I guess.

While some might say he said he would never do a comic book movie, heard he is more intrigued by this cast then material.

https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/832064734690054144

Suicide Squad was a neutered down ass movie thats why. Think about it for a second. Somehow Batman has been a more menacing villain than a group of "murderers, cannibals, rapists(?) and thieves"

that's both a testament to the BvS team in convincingly selling the villain role Batman is in throughout much of that movie and also Ayer being so awful at making what essentially should have been the Dirty Dozen with superheroes.

I don't think they're gonna abandon the hot topic look though, the children love it.

Maybe it's a different culture in the US. I haven't seen any kids at Suicide Squad nor BvS. Well, BvS maybe 2 or 3.

My man. There was more kids the second time I saw Deadpool than the first..it was terrible.

Yea, for me there were plenty of kids in Deadpool, BvS and SS. Little brats wouldn't shut up during Deadpool.

Fucking exactly right lol..I only laugh now. The WORST.

Suicide Squad was a neutered down ass movie thats why. Think about it for a second. Somehow Batman has been a more menacing villain than a group of "murderers, cannibals, rapists(?) and thieves"

that's both a testament to the BvS team in convincingly selling the villain role Batman is in throughout much of that movie and also Ayer being so awful at making what essentially should have been the Dirty Dozen with superheroes.

I don't think they're gonna abandon the hot topic look though, the children love it.

Don't agree with all that villain Bat praise, unless we're talking the uncut version..even then. But I'll agree with no issue that SS was just managed poorly. When ANY hero comes off more menacing than "the bad guys" you've got a problem on your hands. Movie was way too bubbly, and yet, took itself way too seriously at times..amazing that they could pull those both off at once, for sure. Seemed like a movie of two (or three) minds..

Too many hands in the pie.

I think people tend to forget or ignore the fact Ayer had a bunch of shitty movies under his belt before Suicide Squad.

Yeah, let him do his shit. I doubt most viewers of Suicide Squad were 13 year olds, lol.

Half of my packed showing for Suicide Squad were kids who looked to be under 18. First time ever (as far as I can remember) I've witnessed a ratio like that.

I swear, parents were just on some DGAF shit with those two movies (Deadpool being the other)..annoying as all hell.

I go to a theater in a large college town. So I usually see people mostly 18-30 and older. Sure there are teenagers, but it's never a sizable chunk of the audience. So when I walked into the first Suicide Squad showing on the early release Thursday and it looked like a most were there on a field trip, it definitely stood out.

Going to bat for Mel Gibson in 2017 as a person? Nah B. I agree with Gordon. That behavior shouldn't be normalized. Now, you can like his movies, or even him but there's a legitimate reason why people don't take kindly to the horrible hate he spewed back then.

I go to a theater in a large college town. So I usually see people mostly 18-30 and older. Sure there are teenagers, but it's never a sizable chunk of the audience. So when I walked into the first Suicide Squad showing on the early release Thursday and it looked like a most were there on a field trip, it definitely stood out.

UGH..I live in a retiree town, which is only packed when the snowbirds from up north come to town. They don't usually though my nearest theater, but DAMN if they didn't bring every family member to those movies. 3 strollers for Deadpool, plus the 8-10y yo kids screaming for everything!

---

Tip of the hat, thehypocrite..

UGH..I live in a retiree town, which is only packed when the snowbirds from up north come to town. They don't usually though my nearest theater, but DAMN if they didn't bring every family member to those movies. 3 strollers for Deadpool, plus the 8-10y yo kids screaming for everything!

---

I've had a pretty shitty run of babies being brought to movies lately. I saw Dr. Strange like two or three weeks after it released and someone brought some newborn to the showing. Wasn't exactly expecting the breastfeeding either (I've got zero issues with it, but it caught me off guard out of the corner of my eye). Had another newborn during Batman v Superman, cried for almost a minute or two before the parents finally threw in the towel and left.

For some movies I go to the theaters at odd hours to avoid the kids and teens.

Going to bat for Mel Gibson in 2017 as a person? Nah B. I agree with Gordon. That behavior shouldn't be normalized. Now, you can like his movies, or even him but there's a legitimate reason why people don't take kindly to the horrible hate he spewed back then.

Yeah. I do like his movies and personally don't believe in boycotting collaborative arts for one man, but I understand why others would and I'm not about to defend his actions.

Ahasverus

tumblr_n6eejhw8BB1taao3wo1_500.gif

He probably wants to get into the mainstream again, and the last movie was a hit. The good thing is that it saves us from Ayer.

I think it's kind of meta that a bad guy is going to make the bad guys movie. The jump in quality will be insane between SS1 and SS2 if he gets in, probably the biggest I can think of in any series.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

---

That is what you get for living in Florida. Smh.

Effect

Wow. Didn't expect this thread to turn into one where it was hard to keep up. So Mel Gibson.....hmm....hmmmmm. One can't defend what he's said in the past. Period. Especially with him I guess unwilling to even properly apologize. That's column A. Column B would be his ability to direct. I've enjoyed all the movies he's directed. I guess column C is him as an actor, which again I have no problem with. I guess one is able to separate the different aspects and look at them independently but that doesn't mean you forgive, forget, or even dismiss the negative. Compartmentalize. You have to do that in life a lot of the time when you work with certain people. I've had to do that with him if I'm going to keep enjoying films of his before he went out and fucked himself. One does not have to do this at all and that's 100% acceptable.

However I don't understand in general how or why WB would be willing to take the potential headache over this I don't think it would be a normal PR problem given that I believe the entertainment industry to some degree is willing to separate the work from the person. Especially if that person does good work and their negative is limited to something they said vs something they physically did. Gibson does good work regardless of what one believes about him personally or what he's like. The PR problem will come from outside of the industry itself with customers, fans, etc. General acceptance assuming he even wants to be involved.

Suicide Squad is a controversial film. The entire premise (overall be it in comics or movie or tv) generally is. Perhaps WB just wants to keep that particular property that way right down to the possible director.

Ninjimbo

I doubt he cares about money, but yeah, image.
He probably cares about the advantages that come with partnering up with a major studio. If he can work out something with WB where he can realize a passion project like Nolan did, I would assume that at least piques his interest. Mel might be rich but he probably doesn't want to be financing his own films.

Ninjimbo

Sooo... what if the reason Affleck wants out is because of Gibson?
You think he would risk losing his reputation just because he disagrees with the hiring of Mel? I know he threw that tantrum on Mahrer but wanting out of Batman because Mel got hired seems kinda stupid. Hollywood isn't exactly a bastion of morality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom