• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Hayter not reprising his role as Snake in Metal Gear Solid 5? Statement

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That reminds me, Big Boss needs a haircut. I hope he gets the slicked-back look at some point.

Big_Boss.jpg
He's at that point in his life where he's trying to look like he did when he was young.

Jedi2016

My thinking is that they've simply recast the voice of Big Boss, which implies that either A) Solid Snake will not appear in MGSV at all, or B) He will appear, and they're just being super hush-hush about it, including having Hayter claim that he's not involved in any way.

I am curious to hear what Kojima had to say in the interview on the subject. I have a feeling it won't be as "straight" of an answer as is being claimed, though.. Kojima doesn't really do straight answers, especially not about the MGS series.

Toa TAK

Banned
This really sucks. I loved Hayter as Snake. Thought he was perfect for the series. It'll be as weird as Sam Fisher having a different voice.

Oh wait.

Carnival of Crazy time.

I think Kojima's pulling another character swap on us. In one of these two games you aren't playing as Big Boss. There's a third character on the third bunk who gets swapped in.

David Hayter voices someone.

Said this before in the first thread when he first suggested they didnt ask him.

How you feel about his performance does not detract from the fact that his voice is linked with the game's audiovisual presentation for English speakers.

The grunts, the screams, the gravely delivery of one-liners over codec.

That may not be textbook voice acting, but it has become a staple of Hayter and his Snake.

Baker will do fine, but he wont be "snake", not the one we know.

I'll wait for a proper Metal Gear game where you play as Solid Snake (voiced by David Hayter) and go after Liquid or something.

Series hasn't been the same since they got rid of the main theme and ditched the MGS voice actors for Snake and Liquid

Imagine if this was really a prank, and David Hayter decided to skim this thread to see what the "hilarious" reactions would be only to find out that everybody hates him. Poor guy. You should all feel ashamed.

UrbanRats

I like my Metal Gear voice actors to be over the top and cartoony.
What's up with all this concern about dramatic performance, when Metal Gear's script is what they have to read? That kind of stuff is better delivered by a funny and anime-like voice actor, imo.

Think of Solidus, Liquid, Vamp and all these kind of characters, do you really want serious actors to voice them?

web01

Hayter wouldn't be saying on twitter they didn't even offer him the job if he was secretly doing it because it makes Konami / Kojima look like dicks.

People need to stop the conspiracy BS, he sadly is not coming back unless they decide to shoehorn him in later in a small role / cameo.

OOOO I called this back in Highschool(8-9 years ago) and when 24 was the thing. I said to anyone who would listen that Sutherland would make the best Solid Snake in a movie. I am not a big fan of his anymore... I'll wait and see.

tanuki

Hayter wouldn't be saying on twitter they didn't even offer him the job if he was secretly doing it because it makes Konami / Kojima look like dicks.

Didn't the Hitman voice actor do the exact same thing for Absolution before it was revealed he was in the game after all?

Ferrio

Banned

Actually, I'd say it's the other way around. If it was real, he wouldn't be doing that because it's very unprofessional.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I don't see a problem with this. If Kojima thinks it's time for change, then I support him.

Pyrrhus

It seriously pisses me off that this happens after they ditched the main theme song to some bs plagiarism claim that could have easily been settled.

It's like, how do you not keep one of the oldest popcorn gaming franchises true to its roots when gaming is so cluttered with Hollywood-me-too generic shit?

Us fans NEED these little pats of nostalgia, man... :'(

I agree with this. MGS4 was terrible (which I don't blame Hayter for). But Hayter is Snake. It sounded bizarre not to hear his grunts in that trailer when Big Boss was struggling through the hospital.

And for a man who's built his career on plagiarising as many blockbuster American movies as Kojima has to get huffy about similarities in the theme song and an obscure piece of classical music... You would hope this is all a ruse, but he did shitcan the iconic series theme, so I can believe he would leave the series star out in the cold in order to chase Hollywood even harder.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I like my Metal Gear voice actors to be over the top and cartoony.
What's up with all this concern about dramatic performance, when Metal Gear's script is what they have to read? That kind of stuff is better delivered by a funny and anime-like voice actor, imo.

Think of Solidus, Liquid, Vamp and all these kind of characters, do you really want serious actors to voice them?

The thing is that Kojima is the only one that doesn't seem to realise he's parodying himself with the most recent MGS games. Making them po-faced instead of ironically camp will only make them worse.

Valnen

Good, time for something new.

No. When you have an established voice for a character, changing that ruins the character and (probably) the game. Hayter IS snake. No Hayter, no snake.

If they change Snake's voice, I'm buying this used. Fuck Konami. Don't ruin iconic characters.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Good, time for something new.

Only if it's a whole new non Big Boss or cloned (Snake) character.
Liquid was a clone but sounded totally different & looked completely different.
Oddly the MGS 1 ending ocelot told the president that the inferior clone won, How would Snake be inferior when he is a carbon copy.

Arozay

I always thought it was weird that Hayter voiced Big Boss in MGS3 (regardless of the Japanese version keeping the same actors), even if they are clones it's better to make a character stand on its own (Liquids voice!).

Plus when/if we get to a point where there's dialogue with Boss and Snake (pre-Old Snake) it would be hilarious if it wasn't changed... wait, keep Hayter.

Pyrrhus

Oddly the MGS 1 ending ocelot told the president that the inferior clone won, How would Snake be inferior when he is a carbon copy.

Snake was a clone with all the dominant genes. Liquid was the one with all of the recessives. Neither would inherently be the superior or inferior clone based on that alone. Liquid thought he was the inferior copy because he was stupid and slept through Biology. But in fact, none of these genetically manipulated clones would look, sound, or act anywhere near exactly like Big Boss. And actually, Solid Snake has blue eyes so he couldn't possibly have nothing but Big Boss's dominant genes. Why am I investing this much thought into this?

Spoiler alert:

This is more than likely due to how the "heroic Big Boss" and the "villian Big Boss" can be seen as somehow different characters and personalities. This game will most likely really illustrate how Big Boss transformed into the villianous mastermind role possibly even etching the beginnings on Solid Snake, possibly even him in this game (child or flash to the near future segment)...and it would be strange to have two characters talking to each other, or even in the same game, with the exact same voice...clones or not.

In
MGS4, Old Solid Snake talked with Big Boss at the end, both with different voice actors
. I wouldn't write off Hayter not being here, just not reprising the role of Naked Snake/Big Boss...but Solid Snake. If a later part of this game features him. Even if not, I do think this game might have the cloning process take place instead of just referencing to it like the other games. I think the hospital part may just be where Big Boss was being cloned. Maybe it wasn't on purpose but forced upon him or a mistake, as to why he's trying to escape.

It could also be that the hiring of voice actors part of development simply hasn't happened yet...and if it has, maybe just the Japanese staff, not English yet.

hayter's snake voice, was slowly becoming like bale's batman voice.

No, that was on purpose. The "rugged" touch to it for MGS4 was obvious due to Solid being old, and Peace Walker's rugged touch was relating to how battle-hardened and older Big Boss was becoming...if you can even call it more rugged than before.

Pyrrhus

No, that was on purpose. The "rugged" touch to it for MGS4 was obvious due to Solid being old, and Peace Walker's rugged touch was relating to how battle-hardened and older Big Boss was becoming...if you can even call it more rugged than before.

The man also smoked cigars like a stack.

Sorral

Hayter = Solid Snake. People talking shit about Hayter in this thread weren't around in 98.

Yes. I really don't like that it isn't Hayter anymore. What the fuck was Kojima thinking?
Every time I would turn MGS1 and see it in bold that David Hayter is the VA for Snake and recognize his voice immediately especially since I was still learning English back then, so it made it matter more.

Maybe it is another troll attempt by Kojima, but until that's confirmed, I will be VERY skeptical of buying the game.

Hayter = Solid Snake. People talking shit about Hayter in this thread weren't around in 98.

Well, to be quite honest the Hayter voice from 98 hasn't existed since 98. So I don't really view him as being irreplaceable. He's sounded like a guy doing an imitation of Snake's voice ever since the original. I don't view him as being as important to Snake as Nolan North to Nathan Drake. I absolutely can't imagine Drake being voiced by anyone else. But Snake? Well, he sounds different in every game because Hayter continues to chase that 98 Snake.

RK9039

Well, to be quite honest the Hayter voice from 98 hasn't existed since 98. So I don't really view him as being irreplaceable. He's sounded like a guy doing an imitation of Snake's voice ever since the original. I don't view him as being as important to Snake as Nolan North to Nathan Drake. I absolutely can't imagine Drake being voiced by anyone else. But Snake? Well, he sounds different in every game because Hayter continues to chase that 98 Snake.

Or maybe because Snake was getting older throughout the series...?

Drake was pretty much the same age in every single game, but you're right about that.

ed: Same with Quinton Flynn, MGS2 Raiden, MGS4 Raiden. Completely different. I'm guessing they purposely change the voices a bit to better suit the characters more. I always viewed MGS1 Snake as a bit of a loose cannon, always shouting and being angry most of the time. In MGS2 he seems a lot more calmer and much more experienced. I'm guessing due to the change in the roles he was supposed to come across as a wise person because he was like a mentor to Raiden. Same in MGS3, seemed experienced.

Top Bottom