• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS launching March 27 at $250 in the US!

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Price is irrelevant to me, as I would happily pay $500 for a 3DS and a break-out debut (like Ouendan for DS). However, I'm staying away from the 3DS until that hot new debut game comes out. Nintendo 1st party games are the same game over and over and don't appeal to me anymore.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
£10 off my estimate, heh. I'm dying to see what competition Sony can bring.

Eh, wrong thread. At least in the USA there is an RRP.

Using a service that will be provided after the hardware’s launch, Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™ owners will be able to transfer games downloaded from the Nintendo DSi Shop onto their new Nintendo 3DS systems

Ahh bollocks! It's not gonna be possible to transfer DSiWare content at launch. They're gonna be providing a service AFTER launch :(

Sai-kun

Banned
I wish I had the money for this, but it's just too expensive for me :/ I'll probably have to wait a looooong while for a price drop.

Lard

Banned
This means it will *likely* in the neighbourhood of $280 for Canadian launch.

Plus tax that puts it over $300.

Price + region locking + ports means I'm out.

thefro

Considering they're selling DSi XL at $190, this is around what you'd expect.

I was a little worried they'd go with $270-$300 for a while.

Still going to wait for a price drop.

Lard said:

Everyone else is pricing consoles in US and Canada the same. Nintendo needs to start this process with the 3DS or I'm out as well.

Deku

Banned
Price was expected. $200 would have been a $100 subsidy which would be unthinkable. US gamers are essentially getting a $50 subsidy at $250.

Given the weak Dollar, Yen 25,000 3DS should convert to a $300+ launch price.

apana

300 dollars would have been too much of an oppurtinity for everyone to scream about 300 dollars, and 275 or 280 is a weird number. It's clear why they went with 250.

I'm actually quite shocked that Nintendo is debuting a handheld at over $200.

It seems very un-Nintendo, but I'm guessing the bean counters refused to let them go with a lower price point.

Deku

Banned
BertramCooper said:
I'm actually quite shocked that Nintendo is debuting a handheld at over $200.

It seems very un-Nintendo, but I'm guessing the bean counters refused to let them go with a lower price point.

You'll get your $199 3DS in 18 months when the 3DS XL launches.

I'm almost certain, with the success of the DSXL and Ipad, they'll go big on the revision, rather than microsizing it.

apana

Deku said:
You'll get your $199 3DS in 18 months when the 3DS XL launches.

I'm almost certain, with the success of the DSXL and Ipad, they'll go big on the revision, rather than microsizing it.

Doesn't it all depend on sales. If 3DS is sold out, then they could just charge 300 for 3DS XL or whatever revision they have.

seady

I think you guys are crazy for expecting less.

The PSP was launched at $250 with games at $40-50 in 2005. We are 2011 now and the price is in the same range.

Medalion

Banned
Laff at those who seriously thought $199 or somewhere around that for 3DS

And a sigh of relief to those who thought $279-$299

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Nuclear Muffin said:
Ahh bollocks! It's not gonna be possible to transfer DSiWare content at launch. They're gonna be providing a service AFTER launch :(
Hopefully its a few days after, and they just want to wait to the sever strain dies down. I think the Wii Shop had connection problems its first few days, and having the connection fail midtransfer would likely be a nightmare.

Or it may be 4 years later. Who can say.

Mrbob

250, eh. Not great, not bad. Looking at the Nintendo press release the launch window lineup looks awful. I'll probably wait 6 to 12 months to see some better software hit.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I'll wait until the first hardware revision and there are some new games I actually want. I have zero interest in 3D versions of games I already own.

Clott

Pre ordered a blue on amazon. Exactly the price I expected. I never had a DS, none of them, so for me I will be opening a generation of games that I always wanted to play!! I can't wait. Till the release I will start to buy the titles I missed.

PW 2 and 3(beat 1 on iPhone)
The world ends with you
The 999 game
=D

Deku

Banned
seady said:
I think you guys are crazy for expecting less.

The PSP was launched at $250 with games at $40-50 in 2005. We are 2011 now and the price is in the same range.

But it has PSP level tech!

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
apana said:
300 dollars would have been too much of an oppurtinity for everyone to scream about 300 dollars, and 275 or 280 is a weird number. It's clear why they went with 250.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo went around the internet seeing how much people were willing to pay, and when it comes down to it, $250 was the price most people were saying. I can see Nintendo having taken that into account.

theBishop

Banned
A little high but some ace games could convince me. Cell-shaded high-production Zelda. Something original from Platinum. Maybe a new Mario Galaxy.

Gravijah

dankir said:
I can't wait to see how much the PSP2 costs. If it really does have PS3 level of power, it should be interesting.

350 dollars!

theBishop said:
A little high but some ace games could convince me. Cell-shaded high-production Zelda. Something original from Platinum. Maybe a new Mario Galaxy.

no more galaxy damn it

$250 is exactly what I expected. Was hoping for $200 but that was a fool's hope. $300 would have been too high, but at this price, day one.

Deku

Banned
Lard said:

Unlikely, with the dollar at parity, most gaming prices right now are same as US. it will be $250 , even if some retailers try to squeeze a few bucks by overpricing launch games. MSRP will be $250 in Canada.

Pyrokai

Clott said:
Pre ordered a blue on amazon. Exactly the price I expected. I never had a DS, none of them, so for me I will be opening a generation of games that I always wanted to play!! I can't wait. Till the release I will start to buy the titles I missed.

PW 2 and 3(beat 1 on iPhone)
The world ends with you
The 999 game
=D

And about 80 other titles, right? ;)

Top Bottom