• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 bricked after latest update?

Hey guys,

Long story short, I recently decided to update to the latest version of iOS, which was 10.3.1 when I was updating. I know that another new version has been released after that but my issue started with the above listed update. Keep in mind I have never touched jailbreak or any other third party software like that so it is a clean phone.

The update kept bugging me to install it so last Friday, I finally decided to go ahead with it and installed it while making sure the phone had full charge. I wasn't looking at the update process so I have no idea what happened but when I tried to start it, I was greeted with the Red Itunes Logo in Recovery mode. Since then, I have tried almost every method to restore and re-install firmware but the process never finishes. With iTunes, I get stuck with restoring firmware portion when on the actual iPhone, the progress bar is stuck at 50-60%. The update process stops with an error 56 saying the iPhone could not be restored.

So yeh, it has been 4-5 days since my iPhone is bricked and I am stuck with it because I live in a third world country without official warranty support of any kind. So is there any hope for me to recover my iPhone or is it forever bricked?

P.S I have tried DFU mode along with recovery mode but same issue happens for both of them.

Xando

Can you try it on another computer? Preferably in a different network?
Do you have some security software on your PC? If so, disable it

If that doesn't work we usually adviced to send the device for service(Worked for Apple Support).

knitoe

If the firmware update was the issue, it would be all over the news and forums. Something like that would have been heard worldwide within the first hour let along 4-5 days later. Have you tried restoring using a different USB port, a lightning cable and/or another computer? If you tried all that, it could be the dreaded hardware failure which happen around the same time as the update. Thus, making you think the update was the problem. A trip to the Apple Store will tell you.

Metalmarc

My gf had a problem with a ipad during a newer update she took it to a computer repair shop (not apple) that does repairs and they sorted it for her

Hey guys,

Long story short, I recently decided to update to the latest version of iOS, which was 10.3.1 when I was updating. I know that another new version has been released after that but my issue started with the above listed update. Keep in mind I have never touched jailbreak or any other third party software like that so it is a clean phone.

The update kept bugging me to install it so last Friday, I finally decided to go ahead with it and installed it while making sure the phone had full charge. I wasn't looking at the update process so I have no idea what happened but when I tried to start it, I was greeted with the Red Itunes Logo in Recovery mode. Since then, I have tried almost every method to restore and re-install firmware but the process never finishes. With iTunes, I get stuck with restoring firmware portion when on the actual iPhone, the progress bar is stuck at 50-60%. The update process stops with an error 56 saying the iPhone could not be restored.

So yeh, it has been 4-5 days since my iPhone is bricked and I am stuck with it because I live in a third world country without official warranty support of any kind. So is there any hope for me to recover my iPhone or is it forever bricked?

P.S I have tried DFU mode along with recovery mode but same issue happens for both of them.

First, the following iTunes support articles will be of assistance:
iTunes Error Codes, HT203174: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT203174
Get help with an iOS Update, HT204770: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT204770
If you see an error updating, HT201210: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/ht201210

Some general troubleshooting steps include (https://support.apple.com/en-ie/ht201210):
1) Restart your computer
2) Disable any security software
3) Try another USB Cable
4) Make sure iTunes is up-to-date; regardless of whether you think it is, try update the software for iTunes from inside the program.
5) See if you can use another computer to try.

The troubleshooting steps for Error 56 in particular (from HT204770) are:

1) If iTunes is already open, quit and reopen it.
2) Check your third-party security software (https://support.apple.com/en-ie/ht201413)
3) Make sure that your USB cable, computer, and network are reliable. Then try twice more to restore your iOS device.
4) Check for outdated or modified software.
5) If you still see the error, contact Apple Support (you may be able to avail of chat or phone support depending on your location).

It can take awhile to determine what exactly may be the cause of an iTunes error, but those are some steps you can take in the mean time to try and resolve it. If an error pops up at some point, search for the error code on one of the first two HT articles and see if you can follow the troubleshooting steps for that code to resolve that error.

Top Bottom