• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon - Fall 2012 - Developed by PlayGround Games

Shaneus

It surprises me that they'd not use the PGR license rather than Forza. Project Gotham World has a nice ring to it. Also, given that quite a number are ex-Bizarre it wouldn't be such a bad thing.

S1kkZ

There was another thread by Sebull which said few days ago :
"J-14 avant 2 GROSSES annonces sur Forza"
"D-14 before 2 BIG announces for Forza"

I followed Sebull threads since one month. I participate in the Hotlap championship of France (Forzamotorsport.fr).

maybe the forza-world thing is something like halo waypoint, but for forza?

It surprises me that they'd not use the PGR license rather than Forza. Project Gotham World has a nice ring to it. Also, given that quite a number are ex-Bizarre it wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Forza currently has better brand recognition, it's probably as simple as that. Turn 10 seems to be involved in some way, too.

saladine1

maybe the forza-world thing is something like halo waypoint, but for forza?

I'm not a Halo guy, so what's so big about that?

With regards to the potential harm Forza Horizon can have on the Forza franchise, I agree with others here. Turn 10 and MS have over the years, tried to ensure that Forza was a quality product with the utmost passion and dedication thrown at it. I don't believe that they will allow a dud of a game to spoil that reputation now just for a few more bucks.

What helps this new game is the fact that it's also made up of guys with years and years of gaming experience and in particular, racing game experience. From what i've seen from Playground Games employee portfolios and such, they are avid, real life motorsport and car fans in general as well..

Forza currently has better brand recognition, it's probably as simple as that. Turn 10 seems to be involved in some way, too.

I wonder what Turn 10's role is in this game. We know that PG have their own vehicle artists and such, which could rule out Turn 10's vehicle assets I would imagine..

Xun

I'm still hoping for a future PGR, and I hope that's what Lucid Games are up to.

Forza Horizon could be a completely different concept to the PGR series.

I hope this game ends up being PGR5, just named after Forza because of brand recognition.

I like the Forza games, but PGR is more fun and goes back to the old Metropolis Street Racer, played the crap out of that!

saladine1

Just some random thoughts..

I remember when Bizarre had those troubles with MS regarding Turn 10's "favoritism" and such and finally resulted in the collapse of said developer. Something about not being able to sustain two racing devs. .......so why the sudden change now?

Also, I remember that MS had the idea of alternating PGR and Forza every year. One year Forza, PGR the next.
If the game becomes successful, could this now happen with Forza Horizon?

TheOddOne

Just some random thoughts..

I remember when Bizarre had those troubles with MS regarding Turn 10's "favoritism" and such and finally resulted in the collapse of said developer. Something about not being able to sustain two racing devs. .......so why the sudden change now?

Also, I remember that MS had the idea of alternating PGR and Forza every year. One year Forza, PGR the next.
What? Bizarre's closure was on Activisions hands.

From what I can recall, Bizarre were mostly unhappy with the commercial side of things. Microsoft obviously thought highly of them and PGR, that's why they gave them spots in launch line-ups of both Xbox and Xbox 360, and PGR 2 was one of premier early Live-enabled games. However, that also meant that their potential audience was always rather small because of practically non-existent hardware installed bases.

Microsoft screwed them over with PGR4, though, they really should have given them more time and launched the game in early 2008.

Like I said earlier, if this new game turns into a successful franchise, I think we'll see them alternate between Horizon and PGR (which I'm almost certain will be coming back in the next couple of years), while giving the main Forza team a bit longer development cycles.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I really hope MS and EA resolved their differences and that Porsche is in the game. Not having them in Forza 4 is a big hole that can't be filled.

If one were to look at what was in the footage I would think this is less like PGR and more like a cross country Gumball Rally. Which would be cool kind of like TDR and NFS the run hybrid.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

In which case, I don't think Forza Horizon is PGR anymore if it's confirmed to be "Forza." From the sound of it, and branding, this will use full simulation physics in a less track-oriented world.

And, if it is indeed scheduled this fall, unless the 720 is releasing this fall (unlikely), it isn't PGR5 because that was rumored to be a 720 launch title. I still think they're seperate projects.

Forza World = Fall 2012, probably Kinect enabled open-world simulation 360 driving game
PGR5 = 2013/720 Launch arcade racing game

Also, how big is Lucid games? I keep hearing people wanting them to handle the entirety of the project but if they're just a fragment of Bizarre, do you think they'd be able to handle it? Or Microsoft would entrust their small team instead of getting Codemasters, etc.

EDIT: I agree with Remember Citadel, an alternation of PGR/Forza Horizon/Mainline Forza game could be in the cards. Possibly even in a 2 year cycle still.

saladine1

But there was also some rumors suggesting FM5 being a 720 launch title.

Anyway, if they decide to release PGR/Forza/Forza Horizon in a 2 year cycle, then I would be in racing game heaven. No such thing as too much of a good thing here....

MorphBZH

News from ForzaMotorsport.fr

http://www.forzamotorsport.fr/news/forza-horizon-un-nouveau-forza-pour-automne-2012-76228.html
The article isn't written by himself. Nothing more that we already know :
Cependant une chose est sûre, contrairement à ce que vous avez pu lire ci et là, il s'agit bel et bien d'un jeu complet, et non d'un titre qui sera distribué sur le Xbox Live Arcade.
--
An information is sure, unlike what you can read on web, this is a full retail game, not a XBLA release.

In the thread (sorry for english translation :) ):
Donc pour éclaircir tout ca enfin autant qu'on puisse en dire aujourd'hui :

Forza Motorsport et Forza Horizon sont 2 jeux différents, donc on ne peut plus parler de Forza Tout court sur Xbox (pas de jeux XBLA)

Forza Motorsport est développé et sera toujours développé par Turn10 avec un rythme d'un jeu tous les 2 ans comme depuis Forza 1. Donc si on suit ce rythme faut attendre Forza 5 pour fin 2013

Forza Horizon est développé par Playground (qui sont tous des anciens de TOCA, GRID, codemaster,... donc tu bon quand meme) avec tout ce qui fait Forza amené par Turn10.

Donc pas de soucis sur le fait que Forza restera Forza enfin plus exactement Forza Motorsport restera Forza Motorsport et Forza Horizon sera Forza Horizon (on vera en fin d'année).

Donc ca change rien pour FM et pour FH faudra attendre de l'avoir en main pour juger non ? mais de ce que j'ai pu voir ca semble prometteur mais je peux rien dire de plus aujourd'hui.
D'ailleurs c'est pas un trailer de jeu mais juste une vidéo qui montre ce que sera "l'univers" Forza Horizon et donc faudra pas trop en tirer de choses.
--
To clarify, what we can say today about it :
FM and FH are 2 different games, so we can't say "Forza" anymore (for Forza Motorsport).

Forza Motorsport is and will always be developped by Turn10 with an every-two-years release schedule (Words from Sebull, not official, not developper..) like since FM1. So, by this way, Forza 5 could be released in 2013 (hypothetic).

Forza Horizon is developped by Playground (all of them are veterans from TOCA, GRID, Codemasters... so it must be good) with everything that make Forza what it is.

Forza is Forza, more exactly Forza Motorsport is Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon is Forza Horizon (we will see later this year).

Anything change for FM. For FH, we must wait a hand-on gameplay to have an opinion, mustn't we ? From what I could see, it's promising but today, i can't tell you more.
Also, this is not a game trailer, just a simple video showing the FH universe and there is not much to see.

saladine1

Thanks Morph, appreciate the input.

If the games are two completely different beasts, then why even have 'Forza' in the title?
Why wasn't Horizon named something else?

saladine1

Well that sucks for Playground Games doesn't it?
Having poured blood,sweat and tears into your first game only to have 'Forza' in the title and the assumption that Turn 10 are the sole devs of the game...

Oh well...

eso76

meh, i'm not sure i like the bastardization of the brand.
would have preferred an open environment for mmo racing 'add-on' for fm4.

the good news, going by that article, is fm5 is probably going to be a launch title for xbox720 as expected.

Having poured blood,sweat and tears into your first game only to have 'Forza' in the title and the assumption that Turn 10 are the sole devs of the game...

Making sure that doesn't happen is up to Microsoft, but on the other hand, it also means that more people will be interested in their game from the outset so they'll get a better chance to prove themselves.

I still don't expect to see FM5 at launch, by the way. A sim, even when it's as inclusive as FM, just doesn't have a wide appeal that a spectacular arcade racer does.

ConayR

I did some digging and it turns out they are Porsches, not RUFs in the video. They are from tuner Evo Motorsports (the orange Gumpert is theirs too). Probably means nothing depending on the validity of the trailer.

This is a tone trailer. This video is not supposed to be indicative of which exact cars are going to be in the game, what music will get, in and so on. It's about setting a mood and tone for the title so everyone working on the game as well as people who are supposed to green-lit the production get the overall feel of the end product and work towards the specific goal.

saladine1

Wait for what will be announced to the public. then judge! ;)
Like a punch in the face..

So, not a good thing for Forza fans?

Bring down those expectations from up on high?

Or is it a good thing?

I'm confused, kind a like the naming process over at MS..

Djrds

Neo Member
I really hope MS and EA resolved their differences and that Porsche is in the game. Not having them in Forza 4 is a big hole that can't be filled.
Seriously doubt that, even though I believe all this Porsche drama took place due to the launch of the new 911 and nothing more. So in all seriousness, EA and MS could actually reach an agreement that would benefit both.

frontieruk

Oh well...

I'd assume Playground Games were aware of the branding when they got involved with MS, I doubt they got to this stage an MS said oh btw we're rebranding your uber cool racer to fit with our existing franchise, the fact T10 is mentioned in the clip suggests they've had input even if it's only creative so I'm under no pretence Playground Games didn't know it was going to fall under the Forza brand.

Brakara

meh, i'm not sure i like the bastardization of the brand.
would have preferred an open environment for mmo racing 'add-on' for fm4.

An open world MMO add-on for FM4 would be incredible stupid from a financial standpoint. Why limit your audience with something that would require such substantial development resources?

Top Bottom