• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Racers STREET: Forza meets Micro Machines, $1

Extensive single player mode // 12-player online multiplayer with career integration // Leaderboards // Great gameplay

jB0Lq.jpg

--DOWNLOAD THE GAME TO YOUR XBOX 360 WITH THIS HANDY LINK!--

Little Racers STREET is amazing. There. I’ve said it. milkstone have made some fine games but this one is absolutely the best to date, and
it’s deservedly riding high in the Top Rated charts because it’s really that good. And it’s one tiny little dollar.

MlOJd.png

That’s one dollar. Here’s a list of things you can buy for a dollar, and how much entertainment they will provide for that dollar.

Little Racers STREET: TONS OF HOURS
A can of Coca Cola: 10 minutes
An mp3 on iTunes: 3 minutes
This week’s HYPEGAF iOS game: 57 seconds
A lady of ill repute: 24 seconds

I think you can see where the value lies. It's Little Racers STREET, before anyone says anything.

c3qz4.png

So what is it? You may have guessed by now, but it’s a racing game, the cars are quite small, and it takes places on the STREET. That’s
‘the street,’ rather than ‘da street,’ there’s no stupid Need for Speed shit here.

The game is more like Forza, in a way. You start with a bank of credits and have to earn more to buy better cars or upgrade the ones
you’ve got to be more competitive in faster fields, thus earning more credits. The customisation options aren’t as in-depth as Forza, but
they do have one awesome quality.

They noticeably change the way the car feels to drive.

You can upgrade your power, turning, grip and nitro.

Power affects your top speed.
Turning affects how quickly your car can turn.
Grip affects... how much grip you have.
Nitro affects how long your nitro takes to recharge.

Each of those can be levelled up five times, and even going up a few levels and then taking your car out for a race will result in a car that
feels so different to how it did before. Faster. More efficient round corners. All sorts of subtle tweaks. It’s really quite incredible, and means
that you can genuinely customise the cars to your own preferred driving style. The handling in this game really needs to be experienced,
because as top-down racers go it’s basically the nicest feeling one I can remember. It’s certainly far, far better than anything on Xbox LIVE
Arcade, by quite some distance.

For further customisation, you can also change the colours of the cars and the patterns. Pimp your rides.

So you’ve customised your car, what now? Take it out for a drive!

Little Racers STREET features one huge area with loads of tracks based on different sections and orders of corners. The city is brilliantly
designed, with chicanes, hairpins, wide straights, tiny alleyways, a roundabout, a waterfall, jumps, drops, just so much variety. Every track
feels different and offers a different challenge, and it never gets boring. All you do is choose the track you want to enter (from a choice of
five at a time) and go! Overall, there are something like 250 events or more to play in. You won’t run out any time soon.

While you’re racing events, you’re earning credits for upgrades and new cars, and also completing challenges. Challenges are things like
winning a certain number of races, or using certain cars, or reaching higher ranks among the AI drivers. The best thing about the career
mode?

It can be done online as well as offline.

Aside from the AI rankings, you can complete every challenge online, whether it’s winning with a certain car or just completing races at B
Class, your career carries on when you’re online. You’ll also earn credits online exactly the same way you earn them offline. The whole
thing is integrated wonderfully.

I honestly don’t have a bad word to say about it. Sometimes when it snows there is a small amount of slowdown when the screen is busy
but it honestly feels absurd to complain when the game is so good, and so cheap. The next update is probably going to include the world on
a stick, and it’ll still be one dollar.

9oVes.png

5ST4s.jpg

Gtw3A.jpg

mVVtm.jpg

1snBQ.png

NeoGAF is basically the last place on the internet to catch on to this gem. SORT YOURSELVES OUT, GUYS. Here are some impressions from
players on other forums that are playing the game.

agparrot on Eurogamer said:
It's an excellent title, and one that makes me want to buy other games by the developer, just so I can give them more money for
how much I like Little Racers: Street, which seems woefully underpriced.

That's a rare feeling, wanting to pay developers more money, but is the best measure of how good the game is, I think.

It also has a surprising amount of depth to its career mode, with car upgrades, the ability to change your paintjob, and a sense
that it is almost like a mini-Forza in a Micro Machines outfit.

multiClunk on rllmukforum said:
... fucking wow, its glorious. I've paid full on XBLA points for games that aren't even half as good as (or as polished) as this.

Only done about an hour in single player career mode (felt more like 10 minutes) but I'm hooked.

Beetroot_Bertie on Eurogamer said:
I think what [monkeyspasm] said about it just being fun hits the nail on the head. To me, it plays how I remember games playing
when I'm being all misty eyed and nostalgic and taps into those games I loved so much when I was younger.

69 pence for a bucket of joy, amazing.

mrpranny on rllmukforum said:
I was playing a b class race last night and held back a bit to let the guy damage his car from trying to desperately stay ahead.
Sure enough he slowed his car right down through damage and I just sailed past in the last 2 laps of 25. Endurance like this for
about 100 laps would be amazing. Best Scalextric simulator ever!

Popzeus on Eurogamer said:
I am somewhat underwhelmed by Motorstorm RC after this, it has to be said.

Literally not a single person anywhere said:
LRS isn’t very good.

2XxOH.png

So here’s a look at what your dollar gets you:

30 cars.
Over 50 tracks spread over five classes of car, making 250 events.
Tons of challenges.
12-Player online multiplayer.
Time trials.
Leaderboards.
Me, as an AI driver.
A developer that cares.

Don’t underestimate that last one. Seriously. When LRS launched, it did so as a purely single-player game. The fans (and there were fans
very quickly) requested multiplayer and so milkstone had an update ready within days and we had our multiplayer – they just threw in
online leaderboards as a bonus. The leaderboards cried out for a time trial mode. We asked for it, and a few weeks later milkstone had
updated the game again with time trials. Obviously there’s a limit to what they can do, but it’s just so awesome to see a developer love
their game and love the community around it so much that they just want to do everything they possibly can to make people happy.

There’s a tear in my eye, you guys.

Their love for the community is how I’ve ended up as an AI driver. They asked on twitter for people to send their names to them so that
they could be inserted as AI drivers, for no reason other than for lols. And so there I am.

6MYdv.png

I’ll tell you what. I’m so confident that you’ll love this game, that if you download the free trial and you don’t enjoy it, I’ll give you your
money back. Can’t say fairer than that.

So you’ve played the trial and decided that it’s so good that you feel almost guilty just paying one single dollar for something so packed full
of awesome? Here’s the rest of milkstone’s back catalogue on Xbox LIVE Indie Games, so you can throw a few more pennies their way and
have even more awesome. Games are in order of excellence.

9D72N.png

Seriously, NeoGAF. It’s that good. If you’ve enjoyed literally a single game about driving before, you have to try this.

--DOWNLOAD IT HERE!--

(If you're in a country that doesn't get XBLIGs, download there after setting up a free gamertag for a country that does get them!)

M.W.

It's 80pts ($1). It's pretty solid for an isometric racer. I found out about it in another forum, and am sorry if a thread has already been made about it. I bought it earlier today and had a lot of fun with the career mode.

Debut Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnfH6Z46NDc

I assume the 12 player MP is pretty fun, but currently no one is playing it. Just thought I'd let the GAF nation know about it. At least DL the trial and check it out.

Xbox.com Link

M.W.

Yeah, I just bought it since I had 100pts I haven't used in awhile. Very fun game, and I can imagine the online racing would be fun.

Gaspode_T

The online gets crazy because well, you can slam into each other pretty hard

Maybe I will jump on later tonight, I think the devs have an account here so hope they notice the thread!

Dachande

Incredibly impressive work. I love 360 indie games that have had some effort put into them, I've got a nice collection of cheap gems, and I may well be adding this one when I get home.

Will try the demo later. Looks fun.

Is this the best 2D racing game on indie games ?

It really is. Magic Racing GP2 had that crown for about a month, but then this came out and basically destroys every other downloadable racing game on Xbox. It's better than 98% of the racing games on XBLA, too.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
Its a fantastic game I have sunk quite a few hours into the career mode and a few games of multi with EG friends where the community for this game is quite active.

Fully agree with the comments that the devs deserve a lot more money and exposure. They have listened to the players and are patching in new additions regularly too.

Its so good I wanted to buy it twice.

WaaghMan

Neo Member
Thank you for the love shown, guys. It's a wonderful sensation to play your game with other people :).

The latest update (1.2) is currently undergoing peer review, but it's going at a very slow pace, so I don't think it will be available until this weekend, and that if we're lucky.

We have lots of ideas to improve the game (starting with a new city, and adding more cars), but we need a little better sales level to justify the effort.

Also, an idea we've had: Create some themed cars, locked with codes you could get by purchasing our other games.

Dachande

Thank you for the love shown, guys. It's a wonderful sensation to play your game with other people :).

The latest update (1.2) is currently undergoing peer review, but it's going at a very slow pace, so I don't think it will be available until this weekend, and that if we're lucky.

We have lots of ideas to improve the game (starting with a new city, and adding more cars), but we need a little better sales level to justify the effort.

Also, an idea we've had: Create some themed cars, locked with codes you could get by purchasing our other games.

Since so many people love Micro Machines, well... you've done a whole city. What about a whole HOUSE? Yeah? Yeah? You get me?

Gaspode_T

If you are entertaining feature requests maybe demolition derby mode where you have to smash other cars into explodable walls or barrels (and keep lapping until no one is alive), but that is more because I'm a huge fan of Rock n Roll Racing and Galaxy 5000...

It would be cool if you put out numbers that would take to get mode X, Y, Z like Dead Pixels guy did.

If you are entertaining feature requests maybe demolition derby mode where you have to smash other cars into explodable walls or barrels (and keep lapping until no one is alive), but that is more because I'm a huge fan of Rock n Roll Racing and Galaxy 5000...

You should play some A-Class races, my car is basically fully destroyed after six laps just trying to race normally. The AI is properly aggressive in this, which makes it quite fun to be aggressive back, smashing into them to get around corners, etc.

There's one tiny little piece of road that it's quite hard to get down, but if there's another car there you can get down it really easy!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
remember seeing a video for this a while back and was sold then. didnt realize it was out. bought.

WaaghMan

Neo Member
It would be cool if you put out numbers that would take to get mode X, Y, Z like Dead Pixels guy did.

It's a good idea, but I don't really think this would benefit sales at all. Let's be honest, if we had set goals before releasing the game, multiplayer would have never been added.

The game got past 5,000 sales just recently, which can sound like a big thing, but if you take the 30% cut and convert it to dollars, well, it's not that much for a full time job. The game needs 10,000 sales in order to break even financially. So all this extra work in updates is being made for the fans, more than for the money.

It's weird to me that Microsoft wouldn't see a game like this, lend the developer a coder for a month to polish it up, and just publish it themselves for $5 on XBLA. Would it really be that big of a risk?

Top Bottom