• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PnP RPGs OT || Come play the REAL RPGs

Experien

I might be getting into a group that's going to play Edge of the Empire (Star Wars) or DnD 5e, depending on how it all shakes out.

Any opinions on the Star Wars title?

Also curious if anyone here has played Shadowrun or the new Starfinder (sci-fi Pathfinder)? Interested in maybe trying one of those at some point.

Either way, this'll only be my second time playing a tabletop RPG like this -- only have played Dungeon Crawl Classics for a class last year otherwise. Looking forward to it.

I recently finished an Edge of the Empire campaign and I can't say that I was a big fan of the system. Maybe it was the people I played with but the GM barely rolls any dice and if the players are sticklers for "overusing" the advantage/disadvantage, it can feel like a slog.

Guess I didn't feel like I had any control and at times felt like I was just watching them play while I made commentary. I will give it another go but I got two other systems to play before getting back to that.

Numenera 2 Kickstarter going gangbusters. Already funded in the first couple of hours, and first stretch goal up.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/numenera-2-discovery-and-destiny/

I'm really interested to see the further stretch goals. I funded at the corebooks in print+pdf level, but if they stretch goals end up being enough I'd bump up to the all books one.

I haven't been disappointed in an MCG KS yet, the value proposition is usually really high.

Numenera 2 Kickstarter going gangbusters. Already funded in the first couple of hours, and first stretch goal up.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/numenera-2-discovery-and-destiny/

Looks neat. I might be down to back this if I get more into the tabletop RPG scene.

Still kinda want to buy the Starfinder core rulebook (at least PDF version -- the hardback is out of stock on Amazon at least, though the reviews seemed to indicate that it had binding issues on most copies).

ultron87

Time to back Numenera with little expectation of actually playing Numenera. I already have so many RPG books. Why am I doing this.

I know why. I like reading them and having them on the shelf/PDF shelf and dreaming of playing all of them.

Time to back Numenera with little expectation of actually playing Numenera. I already have so many RPG books. Why am I doing this.

I know why. I like reading them and having them on the shelf/PDF shelf and dreaming of playing all of them.

This. This. This. A thousand times this.
Honestly, I just don't have 4+ hour blocks of time to play anymore, but I love reading them.

Keasar

Same for me. I have a bunch of RPG books from Coriolis, Tales from the Loop, Shadowrunner, Pathfinder, Drakar och Demoner and much more.

I never get to play these game, but I just love reading them. Rule systems and their interactions with each other interests me plus all the interesting worlds you can read about in detail, like the one of Numenera.

Speely

Banned
I just realized something: I want/need to make a comprehensive Elder Scrolls: Cypher System game.

It would take (maybe heavy) modifications. Cypher System characters start off more powerful than ES characters, for starters. Then you have spell schools and the fact that races impact characters quite a lot in ES games.

Damn. This is going to take some work if I want to do it right. I could just flavor generic fantasy Cypher System with an ES skin, but that feels wrong. I don't think that would feel like an Elder Scrolls game at all.

Considering a big rework of the way Types, Descriptors, Flavors, and Foci interact. Hmmm....

Keasar

Fria Ligan (Coriolis, Tales from the Loop, Mutant) have also launched a Kickstarter for a new game called Forbidden World.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/forbidden-lands-retro-open-world-survival-fantasy

8eGyliO.jpg
Looks cool, a survival RPG about trying to not die in a cursed world of ruins and monsters rather than going on a quest as heroes.

Oh man...

So a while back I gave my party a bag of holding in our Strahd campaign, but changed it so it didn't have a weight limit. That way I wouldn't have to worry about weight limits and stuff.

Anyway... that was a terrible idea. Ireena was kidnapped and taken to the Ravenloft crypts. One of them came up with the asinine plan to fill the bag of holding with water and then use it to flood the Castle.

One of the characters legitimately spent two in game hours filling the bag. That's not even close to enough water to flood the castle... but man still lol.

I love it.

Mik2121

I'm playing some DnD with a few coworkers and it's been around 12 years since the last time I played. I got the Player's Handbook and the Dungeon Master guide book, but I was wondering what would be a good screen to have. I will be the DM in the group since I'm the only one with DnD experience (back then I played for around 4-5 years I'd say), and I like coming up with cool stories.

Other than a nice screen with cheat sheets, is there something that I could get (either bought or printed PDFs or whatever) that would make the experience smoother? I will make a tiny campaign that can be done in 2 days, to see whether the rest of the group likes it or not, so I don't wanna use an existing campaign or characters (most of the members probably will want to make their own character).

Speely

Banned
I'm playing some DnD with a few coworkers and it's been around 12 years since the last time I played. I got the Player's Handbook and the Dungeon Master guide book, but I was wondering what would be a good screen to have. I will be the DM in the group since I'm the only one with DnD experience (back then I played for around 4-5 years I'd say), and I like coming up with cool stories.

Other than a nice screen with cheat sheets, is there something that I could get (either bought or printed PDFs or whatever) that would make the experience smoother? I will make a tiny campaign that can be done in 2 days, to see whether the rest of the group likes it or not, so I don't wanna use an existing campaign or characters (most of the members probably will want to make their own character).

What edition? 5E released with a kinda meh DM screen imo, but they just released a great one based upon DM feedback. If you are rolling with 5E, get the most current one, because it was made with the help of actual DMs.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/dungeon-masters-screen-reincarnated

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
What edition? 5E released with a kinda meh DM screen imo, but they just released a great one based upon DM feedback. If you are rolling with 5E, get the most current one, because it was made with the help of actual DMs.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/dungeon-masters-screen-reincarnated

Damn, not that long ago I got the old one. However I found some good resources on RPG geek that I printed out and taped over what was there.

I'm also a first time DM and going to be talking the start of the adventure from the Stater Set this weekend. Looking forward to it.

Speely

Banned
Damn, not that long ago I got the old one. However I found some good resources on RPG geek that I printed out and taped over what was there.

I'm also a first time DM and going to be talking the start of the adventure from the Stater Set this weekend. Looking forward to it.

Have fun bud! It can be SO fun. 5E is awesome. And lol @ the taping over the screen thing. Like every DM I know did that with that screen. ;)

Lost mines is a fantastic adventure.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Have fun bud! It can be SO fun. 5E is awesome. And lol @ the taping over the screen thing. Like every DM I know did that with that screen. ;)

Thanks! Looking forward to it.

Lost mines is a fantastic adventure.

Everyone playing is basically rookies. I'm starting out the first part of the adventure with the Goblin cave with only two PC' so I've scaled back the number of monsters.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Can't decide how I want to handle mapping. For the first part in the Goblin Cave I pre mapped it all out and covered undiscovered parts with paper. Not sure if I like that though.

Maybe it will be better to have the players map, but it will slow things down a bit or I could have the entire map revealed.

Also we are using minis.

Speely

Banned
Can't decide how I want to handle mapping. For the first part in the Goblin Cave I pre mapped it all out and covered undiscovered parts with paper. Not sure if I like that though.

Maybe it will be better to have the players map, but it will slow things down a bit or I could have the entire map revealed.

Also we are using minis.

Asking the players if anyone wants to be the map-maker can be great. I like to provide in-game incentives to do so. Oftentimes, it gives a player a sense of responsibility and agency that can make sessions more memorable as they consult their self-made map and strategize. Then I show them the actual map after they move on and award them notoriety in the lore community based on their accuracy. Leads to some fun side-quests and characters if you've a taste for going off-script (which you might after running a few straight modules.)

Sometimes no one wants that responsibility, though. In those cases, I would advise against demanding it.

Edit: this can also lead to a change in the flow of the game. If players know that good mapping has associated benefits, it can make them more inclined to exploration. Not a bad thing, per se, but many adventures have a kind of balance between sticking to the objective and offering carrots to distract players and pull them off course (potentially fatally,) and emphasizing the latter affects that balance, so it's worth considering if you offer map-making incentives.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Asking the players if anyone wants to be the map-maker can be great. I like to provide in-game incentives to do so. Oftentimes, it gives a player a sense of responsibility and agency that can make sessions more memorable as they consult their self-made map and strategize. Then I show them the actual map after they move on and award them notoriety in the lore community based on their accuracy. Leads to some fun side-quests and characters if you've a taste for going off-script (which you might after running a few straight modules.)

Sometimes no one wants that responsibility, though. In those cases, I would advise against demanding it.

Edit: this can also lead to a change in the flow of the game. If players know that good mapping has associated benefits, it can make them more inclined to exploration. Not a bad thing, per se, but many adventures have a kind of balance between sticking to the objective and offering carrots to distract players and pull them off course (potentially fatally,) and emphasizing the latter affects that balance, so it's worth considering if you offer map-making incentives.

Thanks for the advice!

We played yesterday and it went great. They had fun and are looking forward to the next part of the adventure. Already learned a few things and how I want to organize things in the future.

A few times I had to modify my roles to stop from killing them. Once they have a full party and more experience I'll probably be a little less forgiving.

So glad we started to do this and it went well.

Speely

Banned
Thanks for the advice!

We played yesterday and it went great. They had fun and are looking forward to the next part of the adventure. Already learned a few things and how I want to organize things in the future.

A few times I had to modify my roles to stop from killing them. Once they have a full party and more experience I'll probably be a little less forgiving.

So glad we started to do this and it went well.

Awesome! Fudging the rules to make the story better is a big part of DMing, and it's nice to hear you embraced that. That said, once they are comfortable with their characters, don't be afraid to put them in check by showing them that death is a real threat. Being too kind for too long will make them feel invincible.

I say this not because the DM needs any kind of advantage, but I find that it's far more fun for players if they know they can straight-up die. I always plan for player deaths and give them options.

A) Resurrect your character with disadvantages.

B) Re-roll a new character one level lower but let them catch up if they survive their first session. This option can introduce some fun interactions. ;)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome! Fudging the rules to make the story better is a big part of DMing, and it's nice to hear you embraced that. That said, once they are comfortable with their characters, don't be afraid to put them in check by showing them that death is a real threat. Being too kind for too long will make them feel invincible.

I say this not because the DM needs any kind of advantage, but I find that it's far more fun for players if they know they can straight-up die. I always plan for player deaths and give them options.

A) Resurrect your character with disadvantages.

B) Re-roll a new character one level lower but let them catch up if they survive their first session. This option can introduce some fun interactions. ;)

Cool, good ideas. Definitely don't want them to feel invincible.

Had my first session of Edge of the Empire yesterday!

Most of the time was spent finishing character creation though really. Besides that though, we got through maybe half the initial adventure.

Dice system is interesting, but I don't know if I necessarily like it more than d20 or not yet. Sort of reminds me of the dice game "Bang!" The notion of "advantage" as a secondary modifier/outcome is a cool thing though.

Funny thing though, none of the player characters really have any speech skills (yet), so our attempts at charm/persuasion/coercion have pretty much all failed. Thus, we've mostly resorted to force :p

Speely

Banned
My friends wanna to GM shadowrun. Is 5e good?

5E Shadowrun is silly good, but it's VERY crunchy. Prepare to approach chargen with hours to spare, and whoever is running the game will have to be very prepared and familiar with the (very granular and specific) rules.

Very worth it if you're into crunch and detail vs streamlined play.

So, I ordered a D&D 5e Core Rulebook off Amazon earlier today.

Even though I'm not actually playing a DnD campaign right now! (As mentioned, I've currently just started in an Edge of the Empire group.)

I guess I just want to see what the deal is. Maybe get inspiration for something else. Should be an interesting read, even if I don't have a game to play with it right now.

Xanathar's Guide to Everything that releases near the end of November I might end up picking up too, if I like what i see in the core rulebook. It seems like it'll provide a decent chunk of interesting new content, being billed as an "expansion", rather than just an adventure module.

Anyway, I'm just excited about the genre right now! Especially since we just went over the origins of tabletop RPGs (as descended from wargaming) in my history of video games class. It's interesting stuff that has no perfect analog in computer/video games. The power of the imagination is far more potent than anything we can currently program a computer algorithm for.

Speely

Banned
So, I ordered a D&D 5e Core Rulebook off Amazon earlier today.

Even though I'm not actually playing a DnD campaign right now! (As mentioned, I've currently just started in an Edge of the Empire group.)

I guess I just want to see what the deal is. Maybe get inspiration for something else. Should be an interesting read, even if I don't have a game to play with it right now.

Xanathar's Guide to Everything that releases near the end of November I might end up picking up too, if I like what i see in the core rulebook. It seems like it'll provide a decent chunk of interesting new content, being billed as an "expansion", rather than just an adventure module.

Anyway, I'm just excited about the genre right now! Especially since we just went over the origins of tabletop RPGs (as descended from wargaming) in my history of video games class. It's interesting stuff that has no perfect analog in computer/video games. The power of the imagination is far more potent than anything we can currently program a computer algorithm for.

I feel like you will like what you see. D&D 5E is the best version of the game imo, and the design sensibilities are very appealing even as just a subject of analysis. Be warned: you'll end up wanting to play it ;)

I might be getting into a group that's going to play Edge of the Empire (Star Wars) or DnD 5e, depending on how it all shakes out.

Any opinions on the Star Wars title?

Also curious if anyone here has played Shadowrun or the new Starfinder (sci-fi Pathfinder)? Interested in maybe trying one of those at some point.

Either way, this'll only be my second time playing a tabletop RPG like this -- only have played Dungeon Crawl Classics for a class last year otherwise. Looking forward to it.

I like FFG's system, but I kinda hate EotE because it embodies all the things I find least interesting about Star Wars.

Shadowrun is, as others have said, very crunchy. Combat takes a fair while to resolve, but I like it.

My friends wanna to GM shadowrun. Is 5e good?

For anyone interested in Shadowrun, download Chummer. Creating a character without it is a painful experience.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Since D&D went over well I want to try a Call of Cthulu scenario with pre made characters. I love the setting and the Keeper Guide is stunning.

Anno

Kinda silly question but are the rulebooks for the more recent D&D editions still as, I dunno, cool as in the past? I played a ton in 2/3 edition days and though I don't really expect to be able to play these days recently I've longed for a couple books to procure and read through. I loved the art and lore and even just looking at monster and item stats. Any recommendations? Even from other games. Numenara looks like it could be interesting as well.

dude

dude
Did anyone here try the playtest for V:tM 5e that went around a while ago? My group never got to try it and we thought we might give it a whirl. Is it any good?

Kinda silly question but are the rulebooks for the more recent D&D editions still as, I dunno, cool as in the past? I played a ton in 2/3 edition days and though I don't really expect to be able to play these days recently I've longed for a couple books to procure and read through. I loved the art and lore and even just looking at monster and item stats. Any recommendations? Even from other games. Numenara looks like it could be interesting as well.
I know squat about D&D 5e, but Numenara is a nice read, and the art is awesome. Pathfinder is very close the D&D books of the 3e era. Exalted has a lot of interesting shit, but the fluff writing in the third edition is, sadly, quite terrible.

ultron87

I think the 5E books are pretty good reads in general. The DM Guide in particular has a lot of really good content on running RPGs in general that can be applied to a ton of different games along with all the requisite charts and tables. The Monster Manual also has a lot of flavor text since the generally reduced stat block size in 5E gives them room to be more flavorful when describing things.

The 5e core books are fantastic. Great art, great writing. It kicks 4e in the butt

Keasar

If Trudvang Chronicles is anything like it's classic Swedish counterpart Drakar och Demoner Trudvang, then those books have some of the most amazing art and lore you could possibly read in a fantasy game. The game itself never stuck for me cause of quite complicated rules (might be better now in the updated versions) but I was a complete sucker for the world and got whatever world books I could get my hands on. Special favourites are the Jorge's Bestarium book (a lovely "in-lore" bestiary book) and all their world books about the different continents and races of the world (especially dwarves, holy shit they are awesome in this world).

I also recommend checking Coriolis - Third Horizon, a game set in a far future of a shut off segment of space colonised long ago by humans, cut off from the rest of humanity during the portal wars. A very middle eastern inspired sci-fi setting of commandeering your ship, solve mysteries of space derelicts, murders, smuggle goods, exact justice upon wrongdoers, wrestle with bureaucracy and avoid the darkness that watches from between the stars. Much easier gameplay to get into, but also just a fantastic read in terms of lore and setting.

If Trudvang Chronicles is anything like it's classic Swedish counterpart Drakar och Demoner Trudvang, then those books have some of the most amazing art and lore you could possibly read in a fantasy game. The game itself never stuck for me cause of quite complicated rules (might be better now in the updated versions) but I was a complete sucker for the world and got whatever world books I could get my hands on. Special favourites are the Jorge's Bestarium book (a lovely "in-lore" bestiary book) and all their world books about the different continents and races of the world (especially dwarves, holy shit they are awesome in this world).

I also recommend checking Coriolis - Third Horizon, a game set in a far future of a shut off segment of space colonised long ago by humans, cut off from the rest of humanity during the portal wars. A very middle eastern inspired sci-fi setting of commandeering your ship, solve mysteries of space derelicts, murders, smuggle goods, exact justice upon wrongdoers, wrestle with bureaucracy and avoid the darkness that watches from between the stars. Much easier gameplay to get into, but also just a fantastic read in terms of lore and setting.

Coriolis one looks neat. It’s on Amazon too for about $42. Might pick it up sometime later when I have some spare cash. Do you have any experience actually playing it? Says it released this year? No PDF version though it seems.

Keasar

Coriolis one looks neat. It's on Amazon too for about $42. Might pick it up sometime later when I have some spare cash. Do you have any experience actually playing it? Says it released this year? No PDF version though it seems.

I haven't sadly gotten to play this version, I played the first edition that was released a looooooong time ago by another company until Fria Ligan got the license (who was first a group of people actually writing supplements for that edition of Coriolis, the name Fria Ligan (Free League) is a organization in Coriolis), but the rules are easy to understand and play from what I read and it's based on the same system FriaLigan used for Mutant: Year Zero and (after Coriolis) Tales from the Loop which has been awarded prizes now.

And there are PDFs on DriveThruRPG. :)

Got my Player's Handbook for DnD 5e delivered last night.

Flipped through most of it.

Interesting book, but maybe not as detailed as I was expecting in some ways.

Might grab the DM guide and/or Monster Manual later on, as they might contain more of the stuff I'm looking for. And again, the Xanathar's Guide to Everything expansion book that releases in November I'll probably give a good look, as it's supposed to introduce new sub-classes and various other new systems/rules.

------

In other news, I learned that apparently there was a Stargate SG-1 game? Out of print now though, but kind of a shame as it would've been a cool universe to see continued in the format. Love the Stargate setting.

Also, still interested in Coriolis, might get that book later. Also discovered this other game: Polaris, that's sort of sci-fi but set underground after the surface has suffered some sort of apocalyptic event. Might be worth a look.

Famassu

Fuuuuck we had an intense battle against 8 orcs, 2 wolves & an ogre today with lvl 3 characters (paladin, rogue, sorcerer, fighter)!

The battle started out really well. We got 2 orcs at first, soon followed by 4 more. With the fighter's cleave feat, we managed to take out 4 of them in a single turn (I was the only one who didn't even hit one, let alone one-shot it). Then, two more appeared from the some distance, followed closely by the two wolves with the ogre one turn behind.

Killing the rest of the OG 6 orcs didn't pose too much of a challenge. I took some damage (11 or 12) and our rogue suffered a little less (4 or something). Killing the two orcs & two wolves that followed didn't go as well (missed hits, low damage, dodged spells). So as we failed to do much against them, the ogre also descended among us. A well placed Burning Hands killed one orc and damaged the other & wolves.

The ogre quickly took care of our rogue with a single hit (we didn't think she was in its reach because it was still quite a few spaces away from us). Another round and we got the last orc & one of the two wolves dealt with. The ogre hit our fighter to 1HP, I had 15 and our Sorcered had, like, 9. So the situation was kinda dire.

What happened is that I charged at the ogre to save our fighter (at this point we had dealt 15 points of damage to it out of 44), hit it with 10 points of damage thanks to having a Bastard Sword and spending my Smite Evil against it. Our sorcerer spent his turn at that point taking care of the last wolf. I now have an AC of 18 and the ogre had a couple of turns of lucky (for us) misses that saved me from certain death. Then our sorcerer used Daze and that was a success. Me and the fighter both missed our first attacks and the fighter didn't hit with his second attack either before the ogre would resume attacking. Our sorcerer, mostly out of spells, threw an Alchemist's Fire bottle at the ogre and set it on fire. It dealt a decent amount of damage in its first turn. I hit the ogre down to 1HP and then the fire from Alchemist's Fire killed it.

We had REALLY good luck in the beginning. This battle had TPK written all over it, but killing so many orcs within a couple of turns & not taking too much damage from the initial batch of orcs helped us deal with the "second part" of the battle with the ogre & rest, when the battle took a bad turn. Then we had a lot of luck with the two essential misses the ogre had (that would have surely killed me) and then the successful daze helped us get the extra attacks (& misses...) in without the ogre posing much threat that helped us deal enough damage to kill it.

Our GM later said he was absolutely certain that there would be almost certainly be at least 1 death, probably 2, quite likely 3 and with a decent chance of a TPK if we didn't make the right tactical retreat choices, if we even retreated (as in, if two us fled, one could've survived if we would've been wise enough to split ways, so the ogre could've only chased down one of us).

That feeling when the party completely ignored all of the stuff that he prepared for that night and decided to go to a town that the never been to before and you hadn't read up on that town yet.

Experien

Finally finished my first RPG campaign and edited and posted it online for podcast.

Now to figure a campaign storyline for two more RPGs. Sometimes it is just so hard to pick an end goal.

DnD 5e Rountable discussion about ot go live on twitch.com/itmejp

With Adam Koebel (Co-Author of Dungeon World)
Matt Mercer (VA in like everything, DM/Creator of Critical Role)
Mike Mearls (Lead Designer on D&D)
Matt Colville (Lead Writer at TurtleRock / Great DM)

Dreavus

Thanks for this.

This is like an all-star DM line up holy shit.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Cool, thanks. Starting to get hooked on D&D. Looking forward to my next session.

Famassu

I try not to read any Twitch chat, majority of the people in there are the worst.
I usually hide it as well but had forgotten it visible after watching the last Critical Role episode. That chat was just so full of hype thanks to being the final boss fight that there wasn't much room for the usual online/twitch chat stupidities and it was fun participating in it for once.

But I guess "hide chat" it is again.

Dreavus

Fucking chat shitstains of humanity getting triggered by a little bit of serious gender/sexuality/race talk. -_-

Yeah that was a bit disappointing, although not too many were shitting it up out of the 5k watching. Mods were all over it. It looked like a majority of the chat were throwing up hearts and words of encouragement which was cool.

I noticed that block of text they were talking about in the rules when I played a quick one-shot 5E game in the summer, and I thought it was pretty cool even though it doesn't mesh with how I play my characters. Leaving those doors open is nothing but a positive step for the game/culture/hobby IMO and I'm glad it's on the radar in some capacity.

Mike M

Nick N
Anyone else looking forward to Xanathar's Guide to Everything next month? Add someone who gets all obsessive about having as much material to reference as possible, it'll be nice to have an official book of finalized Unearthed Arcana stuff.

But as I understand it, they're not introducing any player races with this, leaving the Eberron races, minotaurs, Eladrin, and Gith on the table? Boo-urns.

Top Bottom