• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

-Pokemon should never become an MMO. Ever.
-I want my games to be fun, not immersive or cinematic.
-Xbox Live is a scam.
-Wii Sports Resort was the most fun I've ever had in a multi-player console game. Besides Mario Party 1.
-The Dual Shock controller is uncomfortable and always has been. I wanted to try the Boomerang.
-It's been 30 years and the most common thing that developers have come up with for non-motion controllers is jumping, moving, and shooting.
-The GTA franchise is not fun to play at all and anyone who derives pleasure from its story is probably aged 10.
-Pokemon RBY/GSC are glitchy messes, have aged terribly and are not the peak of the series.

Terrell

Handhelds in the game industry are an abomination. I'm not so content-deprived that I need a fucking gaming experience in my pocket, that just makes people look like damned video game junkies. Use the resources put into this market to, y'know, stop making the console market suck so hard!

Esiquio

Beyond Good & Evil is a terribly average game.

BooThisMan.gif

BG&E 2 will never come out. ;_;

El Sloth

Banned
Offtopic, I hate this match up so fucking much. WHY IS HER GROUND GAME SO FULL OF SHENANIGANS? :lol
As a person who plays a character with a 100% stun combo (which in many cases is essentially a 100% life combo), has crazy range on her command grab because of the kara, and can combo her big damage super off said command grab I don't think you should be complaining about any other character with shenanigans that aren't Ken, Yun, or Chun-Li.

Practice your parrying and all but the best Elena's won't give you much trouble.

But to sorta answer your question I think another better Elena player said it best, "Elena is just a shittier Chun with shittier supers."

The Legend of Dragoon is the BEST RPG ever.
Motion Controls are garbage.
Final Fantasy 10 has the best battle system and level system in any RPG.
Halo 1 was the best in the series.
Stocke is the best main character for an RPG this gen.

Volcanooooooooo

Dizzy-4U

- Nuts & Bolts is fantastic and is the best Banjo game.

- Snowaboard Kids is the best "Kart" racer ever. It shits all over Mario Kart, Diddy Kong, Crash team, etc.

Patapwn

I think people who supplant buzzwords like 'shallow' 'uninvolved' 'conventional' tend to do so because ironically they have no substance to their criticisms, and/or they perhaps lack the mental backbone to do so.

I also think it's typical to find a great deal of this posting style in regards to the Uncharted series.

sp3000

Deus Ex 2 is a ridiculously underrated game, and it's better than Human Revolution. I never played the first.

This is true. However, you should play the first to experience what I think is the best product the industry has ever made.

I have an ATI card and played through the whole thing at 19 fps because of it. Come at me bro!

If you finished it at that framerate then I'm not sure it would be enjoyable. However you did finish it which is more than most people ever will.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
- Demon's Souls looks and plays boring. FFXIII was more interesting than this game.
- Star Ocean 4 is a good game
- Vanquish bored me

The only one that comes to mind is I think MGS: The Twin Snakes is far superior to the original.

edit: I have a few more.

- I think ICO sucks.
- I think RE5 is the best Resident Evil game.
- I think FFXIII is a great game.
-

Here we go

Final Fantasy XIII is a really fun game. (Controversial on here) It evolves the most fun battle system in the series, and the presentation alone made it an enjoyable experience. I like Vanille.

GTA III was never a great game. GTA IV is much better. Naturally the gun-play and car psychics are significantly improved.

There hasn't been a great Zelda since The Minish Cap from 2004. The fetch quests and hand-holding keep getting worse.

Sonic Generations was easily one of the best games of 2011.

Fable II is one of the best games on the XBOX 360 because of the leisurely freedom and charming Dickensesque style.

The game-play of Halo 1 is barely above average. The flood and samey environments made it extremely repetitive.

Johnny from MGS4 is awesome.

Dead Space is average.

Final Fantasy Tactics is boring and slow yet I enjoyed FFXII: Revenant Wings a lot.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a good game although DE 1 is boring because of how dated it is.

Both System Shock 2 and BioShock are fantastic for different reasons.

Super Mario 64 DS is a lot better than the original.

FF XII has a really good story.

Resistance Fall of Man is much better than the original Halo, there's more interesting weapons and more enemy variety.

Uncharted 2 has a really bad story, Uncharted 3 has a much better story because it's not all predictable.

Gears of War is barely above average even when it first game out.

The fade from Dragon Age is one of the best parts.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes is better than the original.

TESIV: Oblivion is generic and I'll recommend people avoid it.

The original Half-Life wasn't great, going through the tunnels, warehouses and sewers gets boring.

Devil May Cry is too repetitive.

The Jak games are much better than the Uncharted games.

The Wii is Nintendo's best console

There's nothing wrong with the "floaty" psychics in the LittleBigPlanet games.

GASP

Agreed, but that is no longer a controversial opinion. More and more are seeing the light.

HAHAHAHA.

And in what universe are more people seeing the light?

It can't possibly be a better game. All it is is the same game with additions that don't improve the game at all. It can't stand on its own. Every good point about the game already was in the original. As a remake it fails.

Kritz

Banned
Rockstar games are fucking garbage. They're full of filler even in story missions, they have terrible controls, the caricature NPC design is tiring and I'm at the point where I barely find the exaggerated dialog and character interactions engaging or amusing, the sidemissions have almost universally been terrible, the random generation of vehicles has always been weighted to spawn the same car that you are driving so the moment you get a good vehicle, everyone else has the good vehicle (due to memory issues probably), the games takes too long to complete, the first 5 hours of each game is a tutorial teaching you every single mechanic in the game, one mission at a time, there are too many uninvolved or tedious novelty mechanics / minigames introduced and each game relies entirely on the same tropey mission design as the previous game.

The only aspect of Rockstar's open world games that I find interesting are the emergent moments during gameplay where something unexpected happens, or when you can creatively solve a problem. The GTA3 trilogy did this the best, though it's since really just boiled down to "chase this dude and then shoot him". At no point do I feel like the Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead (specifically redemption) games take advantage of being in an open world and having so many interconnected mechanics going on. The transition between modes of gameplay is often way too slow (eg, needing to find a car, having to stop your car to get out to shoot dudes, needing to find some way to get into the air), but not in the way where you feel like any of this is intentional pacing. Or more accurately, it never ever feels like it evolves into something more.

I would almost make an exception for bully, except I've unfairly never given it a proper chance. I played it up until the point where I needed to do some lock-picking minigame that was just so unwieldy with a mouse and keyboard I didn't even want to plug in a controller to do it.

While most of these criticisms I have are mostly directed towards GTA4 and RDR, there are still a lot of issues I have with the GTA3 trilogy.

--

So, I'll say some positive things too, I suppose. About other games, that is.
Edit: Also, apparently, some bad stuff.

Call of Jaurez: Bound In Blood was a fantastic, enjoyable game.
The Darkness is one of the best console games this generation.
Mafia 2 was good because it had no distractions from the main story.
Simulation games are actually way better than most people give them credit for.
Complexity and attention to detail in games is one of the best things a game can have. Games like Project Reality and those fucking helicopter sim games and ARMA and Dwarf Fortress are some of the best games out on the market because they do not hold your hand - instead you are expected to learn, and from that, the game becomes so much more rewarding even when you fail.
The more digital distribution services, the better. Steam having all the weight and power behind PC gaming is a bad thing, even if nothing bad has happened from it (and even if nothing bad happens from it in the future).
Fable 1 was an amazing action RPG.
Mirror's Edge's gunplay was really, really good. They could make an entire game revolving around it. Weighty, inaccurate and low resource gun battles make for good tension and rewarding resolutions. Having said that, they should never have been in that game at all.
Left 4 Dead 2 wasn't a fun game, even if it was a better game than Left 4 Dead 1.
Payday: The Heist is a really tense game to play with friends, although is absolute rubbish with randoms.
Trine 2 is one of the most disappointing indie games I've played in a long time.
Two Worlds 2 looked like rubbish, even when it looked amazing.
KOTOR's gameplay was bullshit.
Amnesia would be a better game if you were given a machine gun and grenades and it was brightly lit and there were monsters that just came out of the walls every single hallway. (I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Though I'd love someone to ruin that game by modding it like that. Like, a deconstruction of everything that game did well and try to convert it into your usual AAA title. That'd almost be as fun as it would be pretentious and wanky.)
Resident Evil 4 is a bad zombie game, and as a "monster mash" game, it is completely uninteresting. Don't get me started on Resident Evil 5.
I have really good opinions on video games and everyone should listen to me (nobody fucking read this far into my post I can say what I want)
All of Twisted Pixel's games take too long to play considering the complexity and engagement levels their games' mechanics provide. Including The Maw, which is already a two hour game. Expecially including Splosion Man.
People who object to Dead Rising's timer, save system (barring the complaint that it needs multiple save slots) and difficulty are game babies.
Borderland's key selling point - the amount of guns - is bullshit considering all guns feel the same to shoot. When a shotgun, sniper and rocket launcher feel all identical to shoot, you have done something so seriously wrong while making your game.
RAGE looked like garbage visually, even with the best high resolution texture mods and downsampled resolutions. The shooting wasn't that great, either. It was good, just... not great.
Call of Duty 3's multiplayer was better than Call of Duty 2's multiplayer (on console at least).
Dead Space is a sorry excuse for a horror game - at no point did I ever feel as if I was immersed in the game world. The scripting triggers were obvious and the monsters were uninteresting and nothing about it was scary. Not even attempts at jump scaring were scary.

TL;DR: I like ambition and punctuality. I dislike games that fail at the fundamental idea they're trying to make a game from (or in some cases, the fundamental idea that I think is the most fun about the game and should have been expanded on further).

Terrell

Forgot one: Publishers have over-saturated the games market because they know we'll buy total and utter shit. I remember days when there was a MANAGEABLE release lineup that didn't cost $300 a month to keep up with. It's like everyone heard the money being made in video games and started queuing up for their chance to have the next big thing, but so many titles being around means almost NONE of them have a chance like they used to in previous generations.

The excuse that military shooters don't need compelling single player content is complete and utter crap. "it's all about the multiplayer" is one of the worst things I've ever seen come out of this generation.

Seda

Forgot one: Publishers have over-saturated the games market because they know we'll buy total and utter shit. I remember days when there was a MANAGEABLE release lineup that didn't cost $300 a month to keep up with. It's like everyone heard the money being made in video games and started queuing up for their chance to have the next big thing, but so many titles being around means almost NONE of them have a chance like they used to in previous generations.

I always play catch up in the summer, when there's usually only 1 or 2 releases that I'm interested in. Costs a lot less too.

sp3000

Rockstar games are fucking garbage. They're full of filler even in story missions, they have terrible controls, the caricature NPC design is tiring and I'm at the point where I barely find the exaggerated dialog and character interactions engaging or amusing, the sidemissions have almost universally been terrible, the random generation of vehicles has always been weighted to spawn the same car that you are driving so the moment you get a good vehicle, everyone else has the good vehicle (due to memory issues probably), the games takes too long to complete, the first 5 hours of each game is a tutorial teaching you every single mechanic in the game, one mission at a time, there are too many uninvolved or tedious novelty mechanics / minigames introduced and each game relies entirely on the same tropey mission design as the previous game.

The only aspect of Rockstar's open world games that I find interesting are the emergent moments during gameplay where something unexpected happens, or when you can creatively solve a problem. The GTA3 trilogy did this the best, though it's since really just boiled down to "chase this dude and then shoot him". At no point do I feel like the Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead (specifically redemption) games take advantage of being in an open world and having so many interconnected mechanics going on. The transition between modes of gameplay is often way too slow (eg, needing to find a car, having to stop your car to get out to shoot dudes, needing to find some way to get into the air), but not in the way where you feel like any of this is intentional pacing. Or more accurately, it never ever feels like it evolves into something more.

I would almost make an exception for bully, except I've unfairly never given it a proper chance. I played it up until the point where I needed to do some lock-picking minigame that was just so unwieldy with a mouse and keyboard I didn't even want to plug in a controller to do it.

While most of these criticisms I have are mostly directed towards GTA4 and RDR, there are still a lot of issues I have with the GTA3 trilogy.

--

So, I'll say some positive things too, I suppose. About other games, that is.
Edit: Also, apparently, some bad stuff.

Call of Jaurez: Bound In Blood was a fantastic, enjoyable game.
The Darkness is one of the best console games this generation.
Mafia 2 was good because it had no distractions from the main story.
Simulation games are actually way better than most people give them credit for.
Complexity and attention to detail in games is one of the best things a game can have. Games like Project Reality and those fucking helicopter sim games and ARMA and Dwarf Fortress are some of the best games out on the market because they do not hold your hand - instead you are expected to learn, and from that, the game becomes so much more rewarding even when you fail.
The more digital distribution services, the better. Steam having all the weight and power behind PC gaming is a bad thing, even if nothing bad has happened from it (and even if nothing bad happens from it in the future).
Fable 1 was an amazing action RPG.
Mirror's Edge's gunplay was really, really good. They could make an entire game revolving around it. Weighty, inaccurate and low resource gun battles make for good tension and rewarding resolutions. Having said that, they should never have been in that game at all.
Left 4 Dead 2 wasn't a fun game, even if it was a better game than Left 4 Dead 1.
Payday: The Heist is a really tense game to play with friends, although is absolute rubbish with randoms.
Trine 2 is one of the most disappointing indie games I've played in a long time.
Two Worlds 2 looked like rubbish, even when it looked amazing.
KOTOR's gameplay was bullshit.
Amnesia would be a better game if you were given a machine gun and grenades and it was brightly lit and there were monsters that just came out of the walls every single hallway. (I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Though I'd love someone to ruin that game by modding it like that. Like, a deconstruction of everything that game did well and try to convert it into your usual AAA title. That'd almost be as fun as it would be pretentious and wanky.)
Resident Evil 4 is a bad zombie game, and as a "monster mash" game, it is completely uninteresting. Don't get me started on Resident Evil 5.
I have really good opinions on video games and everyone should listen to me (nobody fucking read this far into my post I can say what I want)
All of Twisted Pixel's games take too long to play considering the complexity and engagement levels their games' mechanics provide. Including The Maw, which is already a two hour game. Expecially including Splosion Man.
People who object to Dead Rising's timer, save system (barring the complaint that it needs multiple save slots) and difficulty are game babies.
Borderland's key selling point - the amount of guns - is bullshit considering all guns feel the same to shoot. When a shotgun, sniper and rocket launcher feel all identical to shoot, you have done something so seriously wrong while making your game.
RAGE looked like garbage visually, even with the best high resolution texture mods and downsampled resolutions. The shooting wasn't that great, either. It was good, just... not great.
Call of Duty 3's multiplayer was better than Call of Duty 2's multiplayer (on console at least).
Dead Space is a sorry excuse for a horror game - at no point did I ever feel as if I was immersed in the game world. The scripting triggers were obvious and the monsters were uninteresting and nothing about it was scary. Not even attempts at jump scaring were scary.

TL;DR: I like ambition and punctuality. I dislike games that fail at the fundamental idea they're trying to make a game from (or in some cases, the fundamental idea that I think is the most fun about the game and should have been expanded on further).

I couldn't agree more. Especially about Rage, Steam, and Mirror's Edge, Rockstar games are also overrated to no end.

Keikaku

Metal Gear Solid is fucking awful, always has been, always will be, and if you enjoy the story you are my enemy.
I like you.

Metal Gear is juvenile, overcooked trash. It's story is made of the same stuff that WWE stories are made of. It's easily the most over-hyped series in gaming for me.

El Sloth

Banned
The excuse that military shooters don't need compelling single player content is complete and utter crap. "it's all about the multiplayer" is one of the worst things I've ever seen come out of this generation.
Incidentally, what's your opinion on fighting games and single player?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Dark Souls > Skyrim

This isn't controversial at all. It's truth.

Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 is terrible. Skyrim is the same reskinned game. Zelda isn't relevant anymore. Aerith is her name, not Aeris, Aerith. Resident Evil 5 is better than 4. FF13 is a wonderful game, and infinitely better than the horseshit 7 is.

Marlowe89

I consider myself a Zelda fan, yet I never, ever play Zelda for its dungeons (although I enjoy them, too).

I like Chrono Cross more than Chrono Trigger.

Final Fantasy XII is my favorite in the FF series.

Super Mario Sunshine was a fantastic game.

ICO/SOTC are both flawed, mediocre games whose gameplay shortcomings are overlooked or ignored by those who are easily entertained by artsy-fartsy visual design and storytelling.

Steam is currently fantastic but it is (IMO) inevitable that some day it will come under the control of greedy, evil people and many will regret that they made it the de facto "closed platform" of PC gaming. People will not want to split up their libraries and so they will just put up with whatever happens, essentially making the PC more closed as a result. Devs and publishers will have to play ball with Steam, there will be little choice for heavy hitting games that want to do well.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Nearly all 360 exclusive games are terrible.
Call of Duty 2 was the last good game in the series.

I agree with a lot of what others have said so I haven't bothered saying them again.

MrPliskin

Banned
HL2 is, in almost every way, a mediocre game, but it has great art and a good narrative / universe.

But the game? Not that great.

hey you. yeah you. person reading this post. you know you're (you are) favorite game? it's bad. it's a bad video game and people shouldn't play it or like it. heh. jump in.
0R2Lh.gif

Emitan

Uncharted is the worst new series of this generation. Horrible platforming, "puzzles", and "gameplay" designed around setpieces instead of being fun. And the worst fans of any series. ANY SERIES.

Skyrim is a boring game that had too much time focused on making a huge world full of content and not enough time making that content fun. I've put 15 hours into it and I don't think I will play it any more.

The Gamecube controller is the best console controller of all time.

Skyward Sword has some of the worst controls in a game since Sonic 06 and Little Big Planet.

The best Banjo-Kazooie game is Nuts 'n Bolts.

The only Resident Evil I can tolerate is 5, because almost any game can be enjoyable in co-op even if the controls are terrible.

Games focus too much on killing and there are hundreds of ways to make fun games without violence.

I don't like any Megaman game besides Megaman 64.

God of War is boring and stupid.

The Xbox Live Marketplace is worse than the PSN store or 3DS eShop.

The Wii U controller looks awesome.

The best Zelda is Wind Waker.

Jedi Academy > Jedi Outcast

Super Smash Bros. Melee is the greatest game of all time.

I play Halo games for campaign co-op, not multiplayer.

Top Bottom