• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

ss_lemonade

The HDMI Black level should be greyed out when HDR is running as it's not applicable.
I never realized this was supposed to be the case. My non pro ps4 also still allows me to change black level settings with HDR content. I do know that it's running in HDR though because of the tv's HDR text popup and because it makes my receiver's UI turn pink

philm87

I never realized this was supposed to be the case. My non pro ps4 also still allows me to change black level settings with HDR content. I do know that it's running in HDR though because of the tv's HDR text popup and because it makes my receiver's UI turn pink

This was only because the PS4 Pro runs HDR in YUV422, not RGB colour mode as the original PS4 seems to. I've only just found out that this is the case. I can only suggest that this means the original PS4 only outputs HDR in 8-bit, but need someone to confirm this.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Best Buy and Sam's Club (850D, which is the same TV) both seem to have it still.

Thanks, it's getting hard to find and so many places are selling the new MU 2017 models. And it doesn't seem to be a better TV (which is surprising to me).

kmfdmpig

Thanks, it's getting hard to find and so many places are selling the new MU 2017 models. And it doesn't seem to be a better TV (which is surprising to me).

Agreed. From what I've read the new ones are both more expensive and not as good, which is quite a 1-2 punch. On the plus side it encouraged me to pull the trigger on a 65 inch refurb and I've been thrilled with the choice.

Stiler

Was lucky enough to get a new 65" ks8000 on jet today for $1200 new, can't wait to get it!

Going to save this thread to test the settings. I'm glad I left Horizon unfinished and can enjoy it in HDR goodness now.

bubumiao

Agreed. From what I've read the new ones are both more expensive and not as good, which is quite a 1-2 punch. On the plus side it encouraged me to pull the trigger on a 65 inch refurb and I've been thrilled with the choice.

If you don't have a KS8000, grab your credit card and order asap. I don't imagine they'll be around much longer.

New KS8000 owner here! Had a couple of questions off the bat:

1) I was wondering if it's normal on GAME mode -- for, say, regular Xbox One 1080p content (not HDR) -- for its inherent setting to be washed out. At least, washed out with the rtngs settings I have on the TV. (Right now I have the rtngs settings applied, and am using Standard instead of Movie, but otherwise the settings and options are the same)

I started off by playing Modern Warfare Remastered and the picture was overly bright (I did not have the in-game brightness settings set too high either). I turned down the Gamma on the set to -2 and upped the Dynamic Contrast and the picture seemed much, much better and comparable to the plasma I'm coming from.

I realize I'll have to tinker with this more once I pump HDR content on there, but just doing those things while keeping the rest of the settings as is seemed to work well for that content at least. Is this typical for Game mode?

2) Does HDR viewing (say from a UHD or Netflix) pretty much require the same alterations to settings than HDR gaming does? i.e. massively turning up the backlight, etc.? Or is that just related to how the TV behaves with gaming?

The rtngs settings look good to me on all 1080p content, Blu-Ray/Directv, etc. so far, but Game mode looks like it's own animal so to speak in terms of requiring more adjustments. Thanks in advance!

MazeHaze

Banned
New KS8000 owner here! Had a couple of questions off the bat:

1) I was wondering if it's normal on GAME mode -- for, say, regular Xbox One 1080p content (not HDR) -- for its inherent setting to be washed out. At least, washed out with the rtngs settings I have on the TV. (Right now I have the rtngs settings applied, and am using Standard instead of Movie, but otherwise the settings and options are the same)

I started off by playing Modern Warfare Remastered and the picture was overly bright (I did not have the in-game brightness settings set too high either). I turned down the Gamma on the set to -2 and upped the Dynamic Contrast and the picture seemed much, much better and comparable to the plasma I'm coming from.

I realize I'll have to tinker with this more once I pump HDR content on there, but just doing those things while keeping the rest of the settings as is seemed to work well for that content at least. Is this typical for Game mode?

2) Does HDR viewing (say from a UHD or Netflix) pretty much require the same alterations to settings than HDR gaming does? i.e. massively turning up the backlight, etc.? Or is that just related to how the TV behaves with gaming?

The rtngs settings look good to me on all 1080p content, Blu-Ray/Directv, etc. so far, but Game mode looks like it's own animal so to speak in terms of requiring more adjustments. Thanks in advance!

Make sure your xbox is set to RGB full amd the TV is set to HDMI black level Normal.

As for 2. No, when not in game mode, the tv will switch to your HDR settings automatically.

philm87

I'm not really sure, maybe there does need to be specific content coded for it similar to dolby vision. Hopefully future video games can take advantage of it.

Reading up about it it's basically so the HDR tone level can be optimized for darker and brighter scenes throughout a playback of a film/program. I'd have though this wouldn't effect games as they are being rendered live and therefore would effectively be able to do this already?

chaosaeon

@Wishmaster92

There is definitely something right with those settings you posted. Everything does pop more. BUT, on my set this does ramp up the colors to a cartoonish level. And lowering the saturation doesn't fix what I'm seeing. In Horizon for example (if you have it you could test), the fog/haze walking around Meridian in mid day appears to cover more of the screen than on other settings when I reload the same save file and check.

It's like it lightened and gave a slight blue hue to just the fog/background. I changed quite a few of the values now from those settings you posted and managed to not only remove that issue, but also managed to reduce some of the crazy green at night issue by adding blue to the green color space. It didn't affect how greens look at any other time either so no drawbacks as of yet. I'm going to keep working on them too.

And for anyone who knows how the 10 point balance works, what difference is there between the 10%-100% settings. Specifically, what does changing values in the 10% category do vs the 80% for example ?

@Wishmaster92

There is definitely something right with those settings you posted. Everything does pop more. BUT, on my set this does ramp up the colors to a cartoonish level. And lowering the saturation doesn't fix what I'm seeing. In Horizon for example (if you have it you could test), the fog/haze walking around Meridian in mid day appears to cover more of the screen than on other settings when I reload the same save file and check.

It's like it lightened and gave a slight blue hue to just the fog/background. I changed quite a few of the values now from those settings you posted and managed to not only remove that issue, but also managed to reduce some of the crazy green at night issue by adding blue to the green color space. It didn't affect how greens look at any other time either so no drawbacks as of yet. I'm going to keep working on them too.

And for anyone who knows how the 10 point balance works, what difference is there between the 10%-100% settings. Specifically, what does changing values in the 10% category do vs the 80% for example ?
That's strange, do you have uhd color enabled? The settings from the last page are specifically calibrated for HDR and the settings a couple of pages back are for SDR. The difference should be around a 30-40% more saturated image but nothing cartoonish level to where you would have to modify any setting. Here is an off-screen shot of my tv:

hdrcomparisonbosqr.png

pgharavi

Banned
@Wishmaster92

I can't do Warm 2. Warm 1 itself was a long struggle and I'm totally fine with it now, but Warm 2 is a bridge too far for me, haha.

I mention this in order to ask whether that temperature setting is vital to all your picture settings? In other words, can someone stick to Warm 1 and proceed to use the HDR/SDR calibrated settings you've posted?

or does that compromise the calibration?

Melubas

I'm confused: does this TV support true 4k resolution (4096x2160)? Because when I hook my pc up to the TV, if I want UHD color enabled the TV goes to that resolution. If i press the middle button on the remote to see what resolution it's running at it even says 4096x2160. I thought the tv:s max resolution was 3840x2160? I can only set the screen to 3840x2160 in windows though, but when playing games I have to use 4096 instead of 3840, otherwise I get constant black screens like the kind you can sometimes get on the ps4, but these are much more common, like one every minute. Did I make sense? Anyone know how to fix the tv to default to 3840x2160 instead?

Edit: Finally solved it (just after posting here, naturally). If anyone has the same problem with an AMD card it is most likely due to the scaling mode in the GPU options being set to "keep aspect ratio". Set it to full screen and the tv defaults to 3840x2160 like it should. This also gets rid of the constant flickering black screens. I hope this helps someone :)

laxu

I'm confused: does this TV support true 4k resolution (4096x2160)? Because when I hook my pc up to the TV, if I want UHD color enabled the TV goes to that resolution. If i press the middle button on the remote to see what resolution it's running at it even says 4096x2160. I thought the tv:s max resolution was 3840x2160? I can only set the screen to 3840x2160 in windows though, but when playing games I have to use 4096 instead of 3840, otherwise I get constant black screens like the kind you can sometimes get on the ps4, but these are much more common, like one every minute. Did I make sense? Anyone know how to fix the tv to default to 3840x2160 instead?

I think it supports 4096x2160. If you get black screens then you need a better cable. I had tons of issues with cables that were supposedly HDMI High Speed but could not handle 4K properly at 4:4:4.

Melubas

I think it supports 4096x2160. If you get black screens then you need a better cable. I had tons of issues with cables that were supposedly HDMI High Speed but could not handle 4K properly at 4:4:4.

I edited my post just now with the solution. After reading up on it the 4096 aspect ratio is apparently 17:9, and thus the tv doesn't truly support it without distorting the image? At least that's how I understood it. I got it to 3840x2160 now, and the flickering is gone. Before if I put it to 4096 the flickering went away, too, so I guess it was some weird bug when the tv and the windows resolution didn't match up.

That's strange, do you have uhd color enabled? The settings from the last page are specifically calibrated for HDR and the settings a couple of pages back are for SDR. The difference should be around a 30-40% more saturated image but nothing cartoonish level to where you would have to modify any setting. Here is an off-screen shot of my tv:

hdrcomparisonbosqr.png
I was trying the hdr settings you posted on the previous page but noticed many of them aren't available. Is this because I'm using Game Mode? Are you deciding against game mode for the sake of more picture tweaking options? If so, do you notice the input lag?

pgharavi

Banned
I was trying the hdr settings you posted on the previous page but noticed many of them aren't available. Is this because I'm using Game Mode? Are you deciding against game mode for the sake of more picture tweaking options? If so, do you notice the input lag?

Yes, he is. He stated as much. With respect, doing so is unfathomable to me. It's an absolute dealbreaker.

chaosaeon

hdrcomparisonbosqr.png

Oh no I absolutely have UHD color on otherwise I wouldnt be getting the HDR popup or the HDR in the dropdown info (and you know it would look different lol). See the bluish haze in the background of the left pic ? It's like mine goes a vibrant blue instead of getting darker like the right pic. I will get a pic or two using the exact settings from your post in a bit.

Melubas

So I noticed that the occasional black screen for two seconds flicker I've had on my pc (which got better once I got the resolutions sorted out as I described above) completely goes away if I disable HDMI UHD color for the pc. Is there any reason to have it enabled if I'm not using anything with HDR? I still get 4k 60hz.

laxu

So I noticed that the occasional black screen for two seconds flicker I've had on my pc (which got better once I got the resolutions sorted out as I described above) completely goes away if I disable HDMI UHD color for the pc. Is there any reason to have it enabled if I'm not using anything with HDR? I still get 4k 60hz.

It should enable 4:4:4 color space I believe. As already mentioned, if that causes no picture or flickering then your cable might not be good enough.

So, I *shouldn't* use those settings for my game mode HDR?

THis is all so confusing.

You guys can input the hdr settings in game mode, just lower the contrast about 2-3 points since game mode has a slight dynamic gamma or contrast effect the whites tend to be slightly more blown out. There is also no 10 point white balance control but you still retain the 2 point control and cms. There's a slight difference in picture quality compared to movie mode. The input lag as of now hasn't bothered me that much but i don't really play any competitive games, maybe i'm not that susceptible to it? Either way i might look at game mode more in detail later on and see if i can completely match movie mode.

Belker

You guys can input the hdr settings in game mode, just lower the contrast about 2-3 points since game mode has a slight dynamic gamma or contrast effect the whites tend to be slightly more blown out. There is also no 10 point white balance control but you still retain the 2 point control and cms. There's a slight difference in picture quality compared to movie mode. The input lag as of now hasn't bothered me that much but i don't really play any competitive games, maybe i'm not that susceptible to it? Either way i might look at game mode more in detail later on and see if i can completely match movie mode.

Thanks for posting this. I think once you try game mode for a while, you'll notice something a little 'off' about movie mode. It feels a bit like trying to use an in-game menu, but the game is contacting a server before letting you scroll through. Tolerable, but not enjoyable.

Is this confirmed? I read an article awhile back, but haven't heard any recent updates for the dynamic metadata firmware.

Yeah i think it is. They said later in the year.

But dont you have to turn off game mode for it? Im pretty sure i wont be able to use it with games anyway.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So is the youtube app buggy or is it just me? I am having issues with the "go back" button text staying on screen forever. Also casting issues, also all preview videos are stacked rather than lined up horizontally.

So is the youtube app buggy or is it just me? I am having issues with the "go back" button text staying on screen forever. Also casting issues, also all preview videos are stacked rather than lined up horizontally.

Yeah, it's buggy as hell. You'll have to hold the back button down on the remote until Youtube force closes and then re-start it. I have to do this about 50% of the times I go to use it, and it's been like that for months. Since the PS4 and Xbox One S versions of the YT app don't support HDR I've had to just put up with it.

Melubas

It should enable 4:4:4 color space I believe. As already mentioned, if that causes no picture or flickering then your cable might not be good enough.

I've read that only the PC input mode supports 4:4:4 color space on this tv. If you use game mode it converts to 4:2:2 instead. With this information at hand, does it matter if you have UHD-color enabled or not if you're not going to be using HDR content? This is so confusing.

Edit: Looking at this test http://cdn.avsforum.com/b/b4/b4a44044_vbattach208609.png there definitely is 4:4:4 in game mode from what I can see (look at the bottom two rows), and the text gets worse with HDMI UHD color off.

its buggy

I was told to hold down the back button when i leave youtube in order for that not to happen. havent tried it yet.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Yeah, it's buggy as hell. You'll have to hold the back button down on the remote until Youtube force closes and then re-start it. I have to do this about 50% of the times I go to use it, and it's been like that for months. Since the PS4 and Xbox One S versions of the YT app don't support HDR I've had to just put up with it.

That's what I figured. I use it to show Google Play rented movies, which don't have HDR, so maybe I'll just cast to the standard Chromecast or to the Tivo.

Jim

If it's really just a few feet then I would run an Ethernet cable to the TV and be done with it.

Easier said than done when the router in a cabinet and I have a bundle of wires running behind a brick wall and can't pull another cable easily.

Anywho, totally resetting the Smart Hub fixed it. Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > Reset Smart Hub

jfoul

I don't know if I'm describing this correctly, but I'm seeing pixelated (Haloing?) blacks/dark colors. Mostly noticeable with static images, like the FFXV (PS4 Pro) loading screens, and the initial Amazon (APP) splash screen. Do I have my settings wrong, or is this just a thing with LCD/LED Panels? I'm coming from a Panasonic Plasma.

Also noticing a lot of edge light bleed in almost all black scenes. I know this is a limitation of the technology, but I surely miss the perfect blacks of my plasma.

For any switch owners out there - what do you have your RGB setting (under the switch settings) and color space (TV settings) set to?

Mine is currently set to auto for both, but it seems that setting native for the color space makes the reds/pinks pop out a lot more.

I read that setting color space to native was the way to go until they patched it, and that auto is the way to go for. Is this the case for the switch as well?

Top Bottom