• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who else is dying to play Crucible in Destiny 2?

Too many things wrong with it in Destiny 1. Mainly the lag, 30fps and the fact that you could use "supers" in an online FPS. What a fucking joke, what is this Overwatch?

Deku Tree

I'm not. I played a lot of Destiny 1 but I usually stick to PvE. Don't like that they have to balance my PvE weapons for PvP, so we get a lot of nerfs. I want to feel powerful in PvE and PvP weapon nerfs make guardians weak.

The Dude

I got a feeling that 60hz will be doable, but server stuff not sure... I feel one out of the two will happen and I lean more to them making it 60 frames. I will be highly disappointed if they don't.

Kalamari

Not dying to play it, but I'll give the beta a try if other people enjoy it. We are living in a post-OW world now, if another FPS wants to be successful it needs to be top notch.

Dedicated servers, high tickrate, 60fps, non-shit weapon balance and we'll talk. Not going to dip my toe into crucible without any of these. I have enough great shooters if I want to shoot people online.

Kilau

Did you get into high end pve co-op in a good way, ie: building raid teams via gaf?

PvP requirement was pretty minimal in Destiny, if they separate it more in D2 it could ease a lot of your troubles.

Yes pretty much, I also despise pvp in general. Unless they make them two different packages totally unrelated to each other, I don't see how pvp won't end up screwing with the pve game again.

SirNinja

Every time a quest step came up that was "Do X things in Crucible mode Y", I would always groan. Those steps usually took me forever to do, and completely killed the otherwise-decent pacing of quests. I'm just simply not good at PvP, and tons of practice has done surprisingly little to remedy that.

Also, fuck EVERYTHING about Trials. Literally everything. The fact that there's a whole exclusive area that I'll never ever get even close to visiting just makes my blood boil. It's completely dominated by streamers and other people who play around the clock. There is no hope, no chance, that someone like me can get even close. And now there's a page in the new record book dedicated to it. I managed to fill out every other book, but it's out of my hands this time. Destiny 1's going to end on a slightly sour note, and that's a damn shame for a game that's brought me so many new friends and so many hours of fun.

The first expansion for Destiny 2 looks to revolve around Osiris, as well. I wonder how much of it I'll be allowed to experience this time.

jviggy43

This is the probably the area of D2 that I am least looking forward to. I like trials but other than that PvP in destiny is pretty meh for me. Doesn't feel competitive at all.

The Dude

It's amazing the total opposite ends of the spectrum many seem to be on the PvP. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but I also destroyed in most matches so maybe that had something to do with it. I'm a solid 2.0 type player, except CoD... I hate that series with the white hot intensity of a thousand sun's

jviggy43

It's amazing the total opposite ends of the spectrum many seem to be on the PvP. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but I also destroyed in most matches so maybe that had something to do with it. I'm a solid 2.0 type player, except CoD... I hate that series with the white hot intensity of a thousand sun's

Thats odd considering that the two are fairly similar with regards to a low level of entry, low level of skill ceiling based shooter style. They feel very similar to me.

Yeah if you're winning and working as a team it's a blast.

People that want complete balance in a game that offers a variety of perks may have expectations a little too high.

Unless they make PvP weapons seperate from pve weapons it will never happen.

Which is whatever, I'm playing it with friends to have fun and win, I'm not trying to be some elite online champion of the crucible.

The downgrade from halo 2-3-reach to destiny multiplayer is appalling, insulting, disgusting, offensive, and unacceptable.

It's feels like a tacked on multiplayer mode to some 2009 seuqel to a game that didn't have multiplayer.

The framerate is terrible, the ultimate abilities are cheap and mindless, both to use and be killed by. The maps are boring. The interaction between players is shallow.

I didn't think the co-op aspect of destiny was so bad but the multiplayer is just irredeemably forgettable.

The bungie we knew in the 00's is gone. It doesn't exist anymore. There's some souless husk making loot games.

Gotta say this sets the bar for any further hyperbole in this thread. Looking forward to seeing if it can be topped.

I suspect the variance has a lot to do with when a person decided to quit playing. If a person's last taste was before they introduced SBMM nonsense they might be more positive while on the other hand I person may have a real negative view if they stopped during the height of blink/shotgun shenanigans.

The Dude

Thats odd considering that the two are fairly similar with regards to a low level of entry, low level of skill ceiling based shooter style. They feel very similar to me.

They feel not a thing alike to me.. The only game that feels like CoD to me currently is Titanfall 2

WeTeHa

I'm not big on PVP in general, but when I started playing destiny I thought the PVP part of the game was pretty fun. I enjoyed the PVE part significantly more, but I still had fun running around in Iron Banner and occasionally in Trials.

After a while - with decreasing population - Trials was pretty much no fun anymore since you would match crazy sweaty teams across the world in almost every match halfway through a card.
Also, with all the patches they imo made the entire PVP side significantly worse. And not just that, Bungie's PVP-PVE balance philosophy made PVE actually less fun. I still played a match here and there if there was loot to earn though.

But the 2 most recent patches completely destroyed PVP for me. Couldn't even be bothered to get 1 character to rank 5 in this weeks Iron Banner, so I just said screw it. I'm done with PVP until Destiny 2 is released. I really hope Bungie learned a lot from Destiny 1, if not I'll just stick to PVE.

The Dude

Eh twitch based run and gun shooter, very same style. Also yeah TF does have the core makeup of a CoD game as well.

Not really tho, destiny has a ttk that could let people react. Yes most of the time someone gets a bead on you you're dead but there's also the ability to simply take a few hits at times and escape

CoD is in realm of its own where watching the kill cam is embarrassing, even for myself as there are kills where you simply nick someone's dick hair and they die. I just flat out don't like it at all, one of the worst shooter series imho but that's just me

GoaThief

Loved it but I'm very cautious of balancing since they now have that guy who doesn't even play the game doing it all. The Hand Cannon nerfs (just because they wanted to differentiate them from scout rifles), scouts and snipers dominating the late meta (with an odd matador or two thrown in) causing PvP to become far too campy and ridiculous perks/stat boosts such as mini aimbots on snipers. Painful to consider the state of it now.

The first year or so was glorious so I hope they can find that again as it was consistently my favourite and most played part of Destiny.

UberLevi

I'm not much of a competitive player, even Titanfall 2 and Overwatch don't keep me hooked for more than a couple of hours of playtime a month nowadays, but I can play the shit out of some Crucible. Hell, I've even played to Rank 5 in a couple of Iron Banner events and that's saying a lot for me. I love Destiny, both the PvE and the PvP. I'm really stoked to see some Destiny 2 gameplay next month.

Fliesen

I surely hope they're going to normalize weapons even more ... After the first raid was released, people ran around the Crucible with those PvE exotics which gave them that extra edge over similarly skilled players who only played PvP.

Not really no.

Major changes(that many here have already mentioned) are needed before I look forward to anything PvP related in Destiny 2.

I honestly can not remember the last time I enjoyed my time in the crucible... but if I had to guess it was probably sometime after House of Wolves released.

I surely hope they're going to normalize weapons even more ... After the first raid was released, people ran around the Crucible with those PvE exotics which gave them that extra edge over similarly skilled players who only played PvP.
Eh, for most of Y1 the best guns were Last Word and Thorn. TLW was accessible without any PvE and Thorn required both PvE and PvP but didn't require any raiding.

The Dude

Completely fuck up the special ammo economy in the game and "accidentally" break every healing ability in the game for weeks.

I see. Yea my excitement will wane if it sucks, I'm just hoping it is similar to to the first year of destiny. But we will see

...Wait why is it okay to have supers in overwatch but not destiny?

It sucks in both games, but I don't play Overwatch and have no interest in playing Overwatch. I will be buying Destiny 2 for the PvE though, so it's in my interest if they make the PvP actually good. Supers should not be in a FPS, it should be about aim, awareness, positioning and teamwork. Not about HERR DERR MY FIREBALL KILLED UR WHOLE TEAM xD

sjay1994

No.

Destiny to me is what is wrong with so many multiplayer PVP games now, where every fucking little aspect of a character is so micromanaged that its fucking impossible to compete unless you actively keep playing for gear with better stats.

I want to be able to look at a player and go "OK. I can understand what you do". Not go "I don't fucking know what 30 different perks across your guns, gear and character you have on, and I can't fucking compete with your perfectly rolled weapon and shotgun that can one shot me with a range of a primary"

I am only going to mainly play the PVE, and maybe the PVP for the onset of the game where people are still getting used to things, but once I lapse and come back for expansions I am not touching PVP.

It sucks in both games, but I don't play Overwatch and have no interest in playing Overwatch. I will be buying Destiny 2 for the PvE though, so it's in my interest if they make the PvP actually good. Supers should not be in a FPS, it should be about aim, awareness, positioning and teamwork. Not about HERR DERR MY FIREBALL KILLED UR WHOLE TEAM xD

You literally proved you have no idea what you are talking about. Overwatch supers require all the traits you listed "a shooter should need". Its not destiny where a super is a guaranteed kill. They can be shut down by people possessing all the traits you said "a shooter should need" and require those traits to use effectively.

So maybe play the game before acting like you know whats going on in it.

Madness

Start everybody with the same weapon and have power weapons placed on the map and I might consider trying it.

This. I hope Luke is reading and can try and get some of the MP team to add mroe skill based and objective modes to the MP. Was far to casual and unequal to be fun. I still played, but this is the the studio that brought us H1 to H3 mp (Remember Reach) and yet completely have invalidated high level equal starts and skilled play. Naturally the best FPS players still do well but it was unfair and unbalanced.

Destiny may be played regliously by those grinders for SP strikes and raids but it is all but irrelevant for high level competitive play. Hoping this changes with Destiny 2.

Well literally millions of people disagree with you, but yeah you're entitled to your opinion.

I love Destiny pvp and can't wait for D2 crucible. Its my most played fps shooter since Halo 3. I love the feel, guns and maps. Honestly, Destiny has some of the most fun guns to use in a pvp game. HAWKMOON is my bae.

I will say though the nerfs Bungie puts out and the meta periods we go through can be stupid. Also separating pvp from pve in Destiny 2 should be a huge priority for them but idk if stubborn Bungie will budge on that. We will see.

The Dude

If someone dislikes powers in games, there are plenty that don't... Why must every game be exactly the same?

When I'm not in the mood for powers I'll pick up one of the many shooters that don't.

Well literally millions of people disagree with you, but yeah you're entitled to your opinion.

This. I hope Luke is reading and can try and get some of the MP team to add mroe skill based and objective modes to the MP. Was far to casual and unequal to be fun. I still played, but this is the the studio that brought us H1 to H3 mp (Remember Reach) and yet completely have invalidated high level equal starts and skilled play. Naturally the best FPS players still do well but it was unfair and unbalanced.

Destiny may be played regliously by those grinders for SP strikes and raids but it is all but irrelevant for high level competitive play. Hoping this changes with Destiny 2.

Trials of Osiris is probably one of the most competitive pvp modes out there right now. Going to the lighthouse in year one was one of the most craziest things in terms of comepetitive play I have ever done with friends. This is coming from someone who played halo CE, H2, H3 and Reach religiously for hours upon end.

I don't remember what it was like when Assault Rifles were the go to, was that ever the case in Destiny?

If so, how did it effect the overall feel/balance of pvp?

Suros was a beast. Vex too.

I wish those times would return. Buff everything Bungie pls.

As for the multiplayer in general, I thought it was hella fun, nothing better than blink nova bombing a flag capture point with the whole enemy team there.

I will admit that TF2 is awesome too though.

Eh, for most of Y1 the best guns were Last Word and Thorn. TLW was accessible without any PvE and Thorn required both PvE and PvP but didn't require any raiding.

IIRC it was Suros/Vex Y1, HC's domination came near the end of Y1/start of Y2.

It really needs to have a locked 60fps this time. Even if it's only PVP, it's so jarring Destiny is the only current gen online shooter that isn't 60fps, and I can still enjoy it but it feels very archaic. Map balancing needs a huge shakeup too. Don't have 30+ maps in your game and only let me play 15 of them. I understand if some of those maps suck but honestly there's more shit maps in the current rotation than their are that aren't in it. Why they thought the need to completely remove vehicle maps from normal play is such a shame. First Light is amazing.

Top Bottom