• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony shares rally on hopes it could see the best profit in 20 years

Yjynx

They don't have the Bond license right and will have to bid, high, to get it again as 5 studios are bidding for it. Spiderman will make money. Homecoming 2 will make money. Their little wet dream of a spideyverse will fail, especially if they have to reboot spiderman yet again. And more than any other franchise, it's a big ass risk when they put up 200MM plus marketing on something that they can only make money off the theatrical run and home video sales whereas Disney will make money regardless on merchandising. Kaz definitely needs to "restructure" the movie division by calling Leslie Moonves and seeing what he's offering for SPE.
Most likely they will get their James Bond license though and It will be worth it. Venom and other spiderverse movie are going to make money no matter what far better than having none.

LOL if the wish for spinoff is for better returns in share. They could have done spinoff since along time ago when they need it the most. And now? I highly doubt it would happen.

"The primary reasons for the upward revision in the segments that are anticipated to improve are expected decreases in amortization of deferred insurance acquisition costs and other costs in the Financial Services segment and lower costs than anticipated in February in the other segments, particularly Semiconductors."

Doesn't sound like the upward revision has much, if anything, to do with gaming?

Impossible! It has to because they're currently winning the console wars!!

Most likely they will get their James Bond license though and It will be worth it. Venom and other spiderverse movie are going to make money no matter what far better than having none.

LOL if the wish for spinoff is for better returns in share. They could have done spinoff since along time ago when they need it the most. And now? I highly doubt it would happen.

You do know they barely make any money on Bond right? They come up with 50% of the budget + marketing and only get 25% of the profit. Even if they do get it, it will be a one movie deal (that's what Eon and MGM is offering right now). Spiderverse is a laughable concept and it's chasing the "Cinematic Universe" that hollywood is chasing now. If it comes to fruition, it'll fail, especially if it requires a 4th spiderman reboot.

Yes, it's about money. Why would it not be? I am a fan and loyal to no company and what I want - when I invest - is to make money. Spinning off and selling SPE will give me better return on my investment, why would I not want it? I have been wanting it for awhile, but Sony is stubborn. Their movie division has been struggling more and more in the last few years, both financially and in marketshare. They need to dump the movie division asap.

Yjynx

You do know they barely make any money on Bond right? They come up with 50% of the budget + marketing and only get 25% of the profit. Even if they do get it, it will be a one movie deal (that's what Eon and MGM is offering right now). Spiderverse is a laughable concept and it's chasing the "Cinematic Universe" that hollywood is chasing now. If it comes to fruition, it'll fail, especially if it requires a 4th spiderman reboot.

Yes, it's about money. Why would it not be? I am a fan and loyal to no company and what I want - when I invest - is to make money. Spinning off and selling SPE will give me better return on my investment, why would I not want it? I have been wanting it for awhile, but Sony is stubborn. Their movie division has been struggling more and more in the last few years, both financially and in marketshare. They need to dump the movie division asap.
I strongly belives Spiderverse worth it. It have so much potential.

And LoL I absolutely have no problem with your statement and totally agree with it. Its just that I already know since along time ago that Sony just wont do it. Its not gonna happen, thats all.

I strongly belives Spiderverse worth it. It have so much potential.

And LoL I absolutely have no problem with your statement and totally agree with it. Its just that I already know since along time ago that Sony just wont do it. Its not gonna happen, thats all.

I'm willing to take a bet this spiderverse idea of theirs will either be scrapped, again, or it'll fail.

Never say never. Their movie division has been struggling for a couple of years now, this is probably a key year for them, if they can't deliver it this year, they have to start considering options.

DieH@rd

Banned
"The primary reasons for the upward revision in the segments that are anticipated to improve are expected decreases in amortization of deferred insurance acquisition costs and other costs in the Financial Services segment and lower costs than anticipated in February in the other segments, particularly Semiconductors."

Doesn't sound like the upward revision has much, if anything, to do with gaming?

Gaming is holding steady pace. Others part of Sony have better potential for earning more.

Rymuth

Shout-out to their TV division for giving us Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.

The Black List seems to be doing well, too.

DieH@rd

Banned
It would be incredible shame if their TV division do not makes good proffit. Their 2016 models were good, but 2017 models are even better.

Radec

That's great! I would consider another Sony phone.

This year don't.

XZs and XZ Premium isn't a better phone against other flagships this year. Unless you really like the design.

They keep half-assing the camera and in the US it doesn't come with a fingerprint sensor.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Kaz did it.

I remember doing a marketing report on Sony back in 2012... it was grim.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Return of the king.

So happy to see this. Especially because it shows how successful you can be by being pro consumer.

longdi

Banned
If i was in US, i would have bought AMD and Sony shares few years back.

And yes, Sony needs to sell away their movie division, it keeps making stupid decisions and losing them money. Maybe trade them in for more cmos or oled factories.

And yes2, they need to also straighten out their mobile division. Since post Z3, it has gone down the shitter. The old Xperia pioneered lots of features, like IP68, long battery life, doze standby, light skin, AR photos, wide-color screens, stereo speakers....

If i was in US, i would have bought AMD and Sony shares few years back.

And yes, Sony needs to sell away their movie division, it keeps making stupid decisions and losing them money. Maybe trade them in for more cmos or oled factories.

I bought a bunch of Sony shares back in 2011. I never buy or sell stocks I just had a feeling. The next day I chickened out and sold what I bought the day before lol. Gosh I wish I kept em now.

Memento

It really is incredible their turn around.

I remember when everyone was sure they wouldnt last long and all the jokes about selling their headquarters.

Now they are back to the top. Quite a feat.

Joco

I would not want to be put in charge of turning around their mobile division. Apple and Samsung have almost the entire high end market, while the Chinese manufacturers have been eating up the lower to middle end with prices Sony really can't compete with. I can see why Kaz has kept it around, but it will be very, VERY difficult to make any significant headway into the market.

Not really. Underworld bombed. Life bombed. Passengers bombed. Smurfs may break even. RE did relatively well. It's a race to the bottom between Paramount and Sony to see which one sucks more ass. Lionsgate is currently beating both of them in NA which kinda puts things in perspective.

Passengers made $300 million worldwide on a $100 million budget. It more than likely broke even (or will after home video is accounted for), as opposed to outright bombing. The thing Rothman was brought in to do, more than likely, was cut the spending of the movie division, and it seems like he's done a decent job at that. While I don't really think he's good enough with creatives to pull off a full turnaround, he's arguably good enough to get them to a place where they might be able to bring in someone who can. Or, worst case scenario, get the balance sheet in a decent enough place to make it a desirable purchase.

CEJames

Does this mean we are getting Vita 2? please say yes.

lol

Oh my sweet summer child, let the dream go

This shall never be forgotten.

Sony-Hanheld-Patent.jpg

vivftp

This year don't.

XZs and XZ Premium isn't a better phone against other flagships this year. Unless you really like the design.

They keep half-assing the camera and in the US it doesn't come with a fingerprint sensor.

The XZs already seems to hold its own against the S8 performance-wise and offers superior real-world performance based on the one side-by-side test we've seen so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b6oxPeJas8

The Premium should give even better performance than the XZs given its superior hardware. I am curious to see how the screen of the XZ Premium will fare against competitors.

As for the camera, low light performance of the XZs seems like it could use some improvement, but otherwise it seems to have a great camera. The XZ Premium should be the same.

And the US model does indeed come with a fingerprint sensor, it's just not active in the software. Flashing the firmware from a different region will enable it just hunky dory.

I'm going with the XZ Premium once it's out in Canada :)

O_Atoll

This year don't.

What model zx premium does not have fingerprint sensors?

Gitaroo

Good for now, but real competitions are about to come in full force in the gaming space in the upcoming years. I think switch will dominate Japan unless Sony brings out an new handheld with huge ip which we know that won't happen. Xbox too with the upcoming scorpio will be getting a lot of attention in the NA market, xbone s already already made the xbox brand bouncing back from the dead. Scorpio may not be a mass market device but will help generating a lot of buzz for the brand. Sony had it easy after the first couple years of ps4, but that is about to change. Sony pictures is such a crap show do the even have a ceo for sony pictures yet? They have pretty much given up on their phones, and TV division sales are barely competing with samsung it looks like without PlayStation they are still very screwed.

vivftp

And yes2, they need to also straighten out their mobile division. Since post Z3, it has gone down the shitter. The old Xperia pioneered lots of features, like IP68, long battery life, doze standby, light skin, AR photos, wide-color screens, stereo speakers....

IIRC they're one of the few companies actually turning a profit these days with their mobile divisions, so it can't be all that bad. Indeed there is room for improvement though, so we'll see what they do.

Rumors seem to say we'll see their new design for mobiles next year.

casiopao

Sony need to kill their movie and mobile division asap. Both bad been money pit for Sony.

Then they can focus more on finance and insurance +gaming.

spwolf

Gaming is holding steady pace. Others part of Sony have better potential for earning more.

some do and some do not... it is ever changing of course. Few years ago when gaming was down, mobile was revenue driver for the company.

But good part is that they are producing better things. From TVs to Cameras to Audio to Movies (check 2017 slate), it is full of good product.

As to mobile, it is finally profitable. I am not sure if they can hope for much more there.

Melchiah

Mobile & Movies were Kaz's fail-points.

Doubly so for mobile since it was one of his big 3 pillars that he hoped Sony could become a core business, but unfortunately we know what happened with Xperia... =(

Which is a damn shame, as Xperias are some of the best Android phones on the market. I bought Z3 Compact based on the glowing reviews, and I haven't been disappointed with it. Great specs for a smaller phone, a very good battery life, and it receives Android updates sooner than Samsung models these days.

Gitaroo

some do and some do not... it is ever changing of course. Few years ago when gaming was down, mobile was revenue driver for the company.

But good part is that they are producing better things. From TVs to Cameras to Audio to Movies (check 2017 slate), it is full of good product.

As to mobile, it is finally profitable. I am not sure if they can hope for much more there.

In a insanely competitive space, they are doing good but will never be amazing since they are non existence in the north American market. I remembered Kaz said they will keep mobile division because they also wants to have a r&d ready to work on the next paradigm shift. Suggesting arm devices or new gadgets will be built with mobile parts.

Which is a damn shame, as Xperias are some of the best Android phones on the market. I bought Z3 Compact based on the glowing reviews, and I haven't been disappointed with it. Great specs for a smaller phone, a very good battery life, and it receives Android updates sooner than Samsung models these days.

Rocking the X Compact. It's a terrific phone. Had the Z3V before and it was a great phone too. In fact, I even gave up Verizon just so I could use a Sony phone again with the X Compact. Reviews of Sony phones always complain about things but they are really top notch.

Melchiah

Rocking the X Compact. It's a terrific phone. Had the Z3V before and it was a great phone too. In fact, I even gave up Verizon just so I could use a Sony phone again with the X Compact. Reviews of Sony phones always complain about things but they are really top notch.

Yeah, it seems like a good compact phone as well, but it didn't get as good reviews as Z3 Compact. Dunno why exactly, as I didn't do much research on it since I wasn't looking for a new phone. Anecdotally, the local stores have a very small and modest space reserved for Xperias, and some don't sell them at all, so it seems like a chicken-egg kind of situation; they need more visibility to increase the sales, but they need more sales to increase the visibility.

Sony makes running a phone division look like an incredibly hard thing to do. I don't even understand why they release so many regional varients. They would surely save a lot of money by consolidating. Make one phone, maybe two different models. Two colors max, one storage size.

That's it, no midrange, no lowend. Just try it, and put all your resources into it. Nearly stock Android, newest Snapdragon chip, a revamped design as good as your past stuff. Don't do anything weird, keep the headphone jack, USB-C, allow microSD cards, wireless charging. Put a fingerprint sensor somewhere reasonable

And maybe hire someone to manage your camera software so photos don't look like shit

That's a horrible idea, as far as I'm concerned. Getting rid off the mid-range compact phones would just mean I'd have to buy a competing product. I imagine I'm not the only one, who doesn't want to carry a large phone around. EDIT: Or pay more than 350€ for a phone.

Sony

Nintendo
If only their mobile decision stopped being so disappointing. They have some great ideas but the execution is rubbish.

samar11

Sony pictures just needs better management,I doubt they would get ready of it. Isn't Kaz looking for a new management team?

spwolf

In a insanely competitive space, they are doing good but will never be amazing since they are non existence in the north American market. I remembered Kaz said they will keep mobile division because they also wants to have a r&d ready to work on the next paradigm shift. Suggesting arm devices or new gadgets will be built with mobile parts.

I think only company profitable right now (might change in the future) while producing less than 100m handsets is Sony. Apple and Samsung are very profitable and then there is Vivo/Oppo/OP company that produces well over 100m phones that is also profitable (but low margins).

With Sony they are finally profitable and they now are releasing more phones to compete.

XZ Premium looks fine but I dislike large top/bottom bezels... somehow that one got pretty good previews and their software is probably one of the best now.

Generally if I had to pick worst thing about latest Sony phones is smallish batteries. They should do what chinese do and add big batteries.

I wouldn't imagine their gaming division was a big enough slice to propel the company upward even if it was doing phenomenally well.

Sesha

Passengers made $300 million worldwide on a $100 million budget. It more than likely broke even (or will after home video is accounted for), as opposed to outright bombing. The thing Rothman was brought in to do, more than likely, was cut the spending of the movie division, and it seems like he's done a decent job at that. While I don't really think he's good enough with creatives to pull off a full turnaround, he's arguably good enough to get them to a place where they might be able to bring in someone who can. Or, worst case scenario, get the balance sheet in a decent enough place to make it a desirable purchase.

Let's look closer at Passengers. Take all of this with a pile of salt. I'm not versed in movie industry moneymaking math or statistics.

Production budget: 110m

This doesn't include marketing and distribution. We don't know how much that was, so let's say it was the same as the production budget, as it was a big budget movie that got a fair amount of marketing and screen presence WW.

Total budget: 220m

Now let's break down the box office take.

US BO: 100m
WW BO: 199m

US distributors' cut of the domestic BO take is about half. So let's say that's 50m.

WW distributors' cut is way more, but let's be generous and say they took 60%. 60% of 199 is about 119. So that would be 119m for the distributors, and 80m for the studio.

There might be percentages for the main actors, but we don't have any info pro or con so let's just assume there aren't.

So 50 + 80 = 130. Minus the costs of production and marketing/distribution budgets: 130 - 220 = -90.

That would equate to a $90m loss on Passengers. But there's creative Hollywood bookkeeping and subsidizing and stuff, so it's hard to say how much the studio actually spent, and how much of a loss or profit they would actually take.

Home distribution and licensing and syndication isn't all that much for most movies AFAIK (although I plead a lot of ignorance on this front so forgive me). I'm no expert and the numbers aren't accurate, but Passengers does not look like it made much money for SPE.

Top Bottom