• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida responds to PS4 gameplay capture rumor

people can use the share button to upload vids on youtube, etc.

the concern of the minority is that they will not be able to capture direct-feed footage of gameplay on their own, because of hdcp. now, obviously gaming media will gain access to debug units which will enable them to capture footage on their own (or in other forms) hence no one is complaining about capturing footage.

but that minority are peeps like machinima, who most likely won't have debug units like ign. machinima contracts and makes money off of let's players so they are upset. problem with this is, their business model is entirely dependent upon the hardware manufacturer, and the hardware manufacturer does not owe nor do they have to cater to machinima or other peeps who do let's plays.

add the fact that there is a share button that lets people broadcast and upload videos on their own, which means doing a let's play does not require sophisticated equipment anymore and basically a potential audience of 80+ million people can do it with a press of a button.

case-in-point, people who do let's plays, who pay people who do let's plays, or people who make video game commentaries/revies on their own without a debug unit will find their expensive investment from last-gen to be useless this gen, hence they are spreading misinformation about the system.

its clear that machinima has a agenda in this

What if I want to edit the footage that I capture?

skilletor will not be able to capture, only share and broadcast.

editting the uploaded vids, well it just means skilletor would have to download the video after he uploaded it, maybe. after all, direct-feed footage will run in the gigabytes. although using the compression/decompression chip would've been nice to store compressed footage locally, but then again it is illegal to capture footage in the first place. technically, all the ps3 let's plays on youtube are illegal but sony just lets it go. sony might have struck a partnership with twitch, ustream, and youtube therefore they do not want anyone to just store gameplay vids and upload them on dailymotion or vimeo or something.

AngryBird

Banned
people can use the share button to upload vids on youtube, etc.

the concern of the minority is that they will not be able to capture direct-feed footage of gameplay on their own, because of hdcp. now, obviously gaming media will gain access to debug units which will enable them to capture footage on their own (or in other forms) hence no one is complaining about capturing footage.

but that minority are peeps like machinima, who most likely won't have debug units like ign. machinima contracts and makes money off of let's players so they are upset. problem with this is, their business model is entirely dependent upon the hardware manufacturer, and the hardware manufacturer does not owe nor do they have to cater to machinima or other peeps who do let's plays.

add the fact that there is a share button that lets people broadcast and upload videos on their own, which means doing a let's play does not require sophisticated equipment anymore and basically a potential audience of 80+ million people can do it with a press of a button.

case-in-point, people who do let's plays, who pay people who do let's plays, or people who make video game commentaries/revies on their own without a debug unit will find their expensive investment from last-gen to be useless this gen, hence they are spreading misinformation about the system.

Well that's not good, the share functionality only allows you to record for a short limited time(?).

There's ALWAYS gonna be a way to record with third party hardware or software from these machines, the thing is will it be allowed by Sony if it goes up on youtube because technically you're not supposed to do it.

With PS3 it was ok to strip the HDCP or something because they couldn't tell if it was done via HDMI or through component. But if the next ones are HDMI ONLY then they're gonna know if you used something else.

I really don't wanna have to be forced to use the built in stuff, I'm far more comfortable doing my videos the way we can now

Mandoric

Banned

If it worked on the PS3 HDMI, it will still work. If it worked on component, it is gone and gone for everything except WiiU.

If they previously had a rig that could record X360 and PC but not PS3, it will need a $35 box from Monoprice.

KoopaTheCasual

What if I want to edit the footage that I capture?

That's where this becomes a problem for LPers. People who like editing their videos and making them more presentable/professional might have trouble. But do we know if we can save the footage with the share button directly onto the HDD and then move it onto a computer to edit?

Also did they mention the resolution of the share quality? is it full 1080p? If both of these things are possible, then this isn't even an issue to anyone at all.

FINALBOSS

Banned
So what's the big deal here? I can't understand the problem here.

Isn't it obvious as all hell we'll be able to capture game footage and upload it?

I'm like lost in here.

I understand what HDCP is--it's not like we're going to capture footage of a blu-ray or something. I dunno I'm just lost here.

Is Machinima complaining because you won't be able to upload to Youtube or just Facebook or?
That's where this becomes a problem for LPers. People who like editing their videos and making them more presentable/professional might have trouble. But do we know if we can save the footage with the share button directly onto the HDD and then move it onto a computer to edit?

Also did they mention the resolution of the share quality? is it full 1080p? If both of these things are possible, then this isn't even an issue to anyone at all.

You'd use the built in editor.

And if you're already a serious Let's Player, you already have a capture device.

Or does the HDCP disable the capturing from those devices? I'm so lost.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Well that's not good, the share functionality only allows you to record for a short limited time(?).

It will most likely work like a DVR. A DVR is always recording no matter what. For instance, my DVR will always record the last 1.5 hours no matter if I hit record or not, but it's not limited to 1.5 hours. Hit record at the beginning of a show and it will record everything. I'm assuming PS4 will work the same way.

Can't you get an HDCP stripper for like five bucks?
Maybe not 5 bucks, but a cheap HDMI splitter will usually do the trick.

And if you're already a serious Let's Player, you already have a capture device.

That's the issue. We don't know if they will have HDCP on during gameplay. Machinima mixed in a bunch of other bullshit to get attention.

Can't you get an HDCP stripper for like five bucks?

Of course you can but you might get flagged after you upload it because what you did isn't allowed

It will most likely work like a DVR. A DVR is always recording no matter what. For instance, my DVR will always record the last 1.5 hours no matter if I hit record or not, but it's not limited to 1.5 hours. Hit record at the beginning of a show and it will record everything. I'm assuming PS4 will work the same way.

Didn't they say it records "several minutes" though? I can't imagine the PS4 is going to record huge lengthy segments of gameplay, it's a waste of resources. It also comes down to how good the editor for the PS4 is. Is it just simple effects and fades or can we cut splice,add audio etc.?

hal9001

Banned
The amount of disinformation being spread out by that video is outstanding.

The rumor is that, like the PS3, the video signal for the PS4 will always be protected via HDCP, meaning gameplay and audio can't be captured.

Exactly. Even if its implemented people have ways to circumnavigate it.

alr1ght

Didn't they say it records "several minutes" though? I can't imagine the PS4 is going to record huge lengthy segments of gameplay, it's a waste of resources. It also comes down to how good the editor for the PS4 is. Is it just simple effects and fades or can we cut splice,add audio etc.?

It is always recording the last 15 minutes no matter what. It's my assumption that you will be able to manually control it if you want longer videos.

Except if you do that your videos can be taken down for bypassing the HDCP
HDCP was mainly developed to please movie studios. Who knows why PS3 had it on for everything. Probably just a mistake, seeing as it is able to be turned off for specific sources (for instance 360 doesn't have it for gameplay, but on for Netflix streaming).

Mobius 1

This is not news and should be getting the attention. It's amazing how quickly people are misled and jump to conclusions.

Mandoric

Banned
Of course you can but you might get flagged after you upload it because what you did isn't allowed

HDCP stripping is disallowed if unauthorized. Youtube uploading is also disallowed if unauthorized. If the game publisher doesn't want your videos of their game on Youtube, they're going to just go "hey take these videos of our game down".

Conversely, if you -are- allowed to put up your own footage, then your HDCP stripping is also as part of an authorized use and is perfectly fine.

Orca

HDCP prevents capture from external device, but you can use one of the various HDCP strippers to capture anyway.

I wish both Sony and Microsoft would just do what the 360 did - HDCP for movies, no HDCP for games.

Has anyone actually had that happen? I know people who upload stuff from the PS3 via HDCP stripping and all their stuff seems just fine.

No because PS3 has component, so if you strip the HDCP or record component Sony has no way of knowing what version you recorded. Technically it CAN happen but you could turn around and say "well I recorded through component and that's perfectly legal"

Eliminating component next gen leaves only HDMI and HDCP

HDCP stripping is disallowed if unauthorized. Youtube uploading is also disallowed if unauthorized. If the game publisher doesn't want your videos of their game on Youtube, they're going to just go "hey take these videos of our game down".

Conversely, if you -are- allowed to put up your own footage, then your HDCP stripping is also as part of an authorized use and is perfectly fine.

Only if you're not partnered can that happen. If you have a network partner they pay fees allowing use of games

You're not supposed to monetize videos if you don't have a partner

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Except if you do that your videos can be taken down for bypassing the HDCP

Technically only circumventing HDCP itself is illegal under DMCA.
HDCP license says that the compliant devices should prevent "easy" access and that there should be no device in the middle of the chain that strips the protection away. After the signal leaves the chain it's fair game.
Unless you're using it to do something illegal under some other law and then of course the cookie crumbles.

HDCP prevents capture from external device, but you can use one of the various HDCP strippers to capture anyway.

I wish both Sony and Microsoft would just do what the 360 did - HDCP for movies, no HDCP for games.

Has HDCP got anything to do with Blu ray? I thought I heard someone mention that before and both new systems have Blu ray drives don't they?

Mandoric

Banned
No because PS3 has component, so if you strip the HDCP or record component Sony has no way of knowing what version you recorded. Technically it CAN happen but you could turn around and say "well I recorded through component and that's perfectly legal"

Eliminating component next gen leaves only HDMI and HDCP

That's not how it works at all. Removing HDCP is allowed if if you're doing something you're allowed to do, and there's all sorts of professional-use AV equipment that does it.

And if you're -not- allowed to put footage up, it's going to get taken down because it itself isn't allowed.

alr1ght

and Shuhei actually had to say something. so now it's news (to me at least).

I just think they did it in a sleazy way, but yeah, it's youtube. Rile people up with misinformation and you might get the answer you were looking for in the first place. Take a look at how N4G runs, basically that.

An alternative could be to allow an option to export recorded footage via the HDD onto a machine to be edited later on.

Then we come to how long will the system record for and what will the quality be like? Video bit rate, audio bit rates, resolution,framerates, will recording lock your frames etc.

That's not how it works at all. Removing HDCP is allowed if if you're doing something you're allowed to do, and there's all sorts of professional-use AV equipment that does it.

And if you're -not- allowed to put footage up, it's going to get taken down because it itself isn't allowed.

But isn't HDCP put in place to try and stop you from doing something you're not allowed to do in the first place? I was under the impression it worked that way before but you seem to know more about it so I shouldn't speak in such an assertive manner I guess

LiK

I just think they did it in a sleazy way, but yeah, it's youtube. Rile people up with misinformation and you might get the answer you were looking for in the first place. Take a look at how N4G runs, basically that.

agree with you 100%.

Gorillaz

I think that was the entire point of Machinima making this video.

Wouldn't be surprised since they have a past of being more MS branded. Actually they only dealt with Halo and xbox things for years you would think it was Team Xbox's 2nd channel lol.

Could be honest but wouldn't be surprised it it wasn't, youtube is the easiest way to spread misdirection and the fanboys (of any console) eat it up

alr1ght

Has HDCP got anything to do with Blu ray? I thought I heard someone mention that before and both new systems have Blu ray drives don't they?

HDCP was developed so people couldn't capture digital copies of blu-ray movies/netflix streams/etc. It can be turned off for specific content. It must be on for blu-rays, it's not required for game output/dashboard viewing/etc.

Wouldn't be surprised since they have a past of being more MS branded. Actually they only dealt with Halo and xbox things for years you would think it was Team Xbox's 2nd channel lol.

Could be honest but wouldn't be surprised it it wasn't, youtube is the easiest way to spread misdirection and the fanboys (of any console) eat it up

Well it's clearly something people care about now so at least we might get some actual answers out of it all in the end, even if the way they went about it was wrong

Better to find out now than wait till the systems are out and then going "oh yeah you can't do that"

HDCP was developed so people couldn't capture digital copies of blu-ray movies/netflix streams/etc. It can be turned off for specific content. It must be on for blu-rays, it's not required for game output/dashboard viewing/etc.

So was it put on the PS3 specifically for Blu ray movies or just all blu ray connected content? cos technically a PS3 game is blu ray too. If it IS just for movies then there must be a way of doing what others said, have it on for movies but not for games.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was all to try force people to use the share buttona dn buitl in PS4 features

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Then we come to how long will the system record for and what will the quality be like? Video bit rate, audio bit rates, resolution,framerates, will recording lock your frames etc.

But isn't HDCP put in place to try and stop you from doing something you're not allowed to do in the first place? I was under the impression it worked that way before but you seem to know more about it so I shouldn't speak in such an assertive manner I guess
Well yes, but it should not surprise you that corporations are trying to substitute the law with instructions of their fashion applied in a controlling way of shoot first ask questions later.
Nobody knows why Sony put up persistent HDCP. They didn't have to.

Blu-Ray equipment is required to implement HDCP. Without that, your device will not be Blu-Ray certified.

It's not just Blu-Ray that requires it though. Most video content providers require it on supported devices, for example Netflix.

Hopefully Sony changes it so it will disable HDCP when not in a video app that requires it instead of always having HDCP on even for games.

alr1ght

I don't think it's necessarily that, just that their entire site is built upon users capturing footage. When they didn't get a response from Sony, they threw a fit and released this video, making up a bunch of stuff to get more publicity. In the end, we'll probably end up with an answer regarding HDCP, but misinformation campaigns to get there just rub me the wrong way.

So was it put on the PS3 specifically for Blu ray movies or just all blu ray connected content? cos technically a PS3 game is blu ray too. If it IS just for movies then there must be a way of doing what others said, have it on for movies but not for games.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was all to try force people to use the share buttona dn buitl in PS4 features
It's possible to have it on/off for specific content. 360 turns it on during Netflix, and off for most everything else.

Do you have any proof of this?

I actually don't and the more I think about it and read what others are saying on it the more I'm thinking why HDCP stopped recording of games in the first place

I always assumed it was to protect copyrights etc. for all types of media connected to the PS3 and Blu ray

Blu-Ray equipment is required to implement HDCP. Without that, your device will not be Blu-Ray certified.

It's not just Blu-Ray that requires it though. Most video content providers require it on supported devices, for example Netflix.

Hopefully Sony changes it so it will disable HDCP when not in a video app that requires it instead of always having HDCP on even for games.

So technically it shouldn't have anything to do with games?

Mandoric

Banned

Think of an HDCP stripper like lockpicks. They try to keep them away from normal people, and many uses are illegal, but if you're a locksmith/an authorized recorder...

It wasn't that the share button won't allow upload to youtube, it was more to do with how videos are recorded and uploaded right now using third party hardware/software

Yeah but the video on the OP says the share button won't upload to youtube, and even goes as far as saying that Cerny was wrong when he said you could. Where are they getting that info from?

Top Bottom