• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massa

That's fine apart from the fact that we already know the WiiU dev kit had 2GB of ram quite some time ago (with Nintendo aiming for more in future) through Lherre's posts.

I don't know or really care if he's using an older kit, a different kit than others, or whatever. I just don't think "even the X360 kits have 1Gb of RAM" is an excuse to go back to accuse him of trolling or lying, like some already have based on your post.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ok I don't get it. ONE guys makes ONE post and all of GAF believes him? You guys must be joking. I mean, how do we believe him? He could be just some troll who has been watching the thread until he got accepted to GAF. Then made this post in order to see how many would believe him. I mean, he said it had modern hardware in it that was weaker than what was in the 360. Any GPU from AMD 4000 series and up, can not be weaker than an early 2000 series. And even if it's tri-core, out-of-order pretty much puts it above the 360 right there. It makes little sense to me how (s)he's more believable than IGN.

Because I verified his place of employment and further discussed the matter privately.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Even if his credentials check out, it doesn't mean what he says it's true. We have multiple rumors suggesting it will be more powerful than current gen consoles, while we have one rumor that says it's weaker. What to believe what to believe...

tkscz

Because I verified his place of employment and further discussed the matter privately.

I see, your red letters lead me to believe you more than that guy. So can you shed some light on this or have you already done that? If you already did it, can you post a link where you said it?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Even if his credentials check out, it doesn't mean what he says it's true. We have multiple rumors suggesting it will be more powerful than current gen consoles, while we have one rumor that says it's weaker. What to believe what to believe...

Right, and I've never said otherwise. Simply stating that Arkam has made it clear he works for who he says he works for, and I know who he works for has devkits. I will not vouch for the accuracy of his information, because I cannot.

People continually trying to take Arkam the poster down a peg, attacking him not his information, are simply proving how childish they really are.

So did iherre and he said things that were different it seems.

Not really. I suspect Arkam was mistaken about the RAM or referring to the final system's specifications. Most of what they've said has lined up nicely.

It's funny, really, when you think about it.

lherre: "The system isn't all that powerful and some people are getting their hopes up too high."
Chopper: "My source is disappointed with the Wii U's specs."
Arkam: "The system isn't all that powerful and some people are getting their hopes up too high."

I've verified all three. Take that as you will.

Rösti;35332508 said:
Thanks for doing that. If the system will indeed in its final form be less powerful than Xbox 360 I'm even more interested now to know the technical specifications of Wii U, and how developers will utilize the system to optimize the games. Did Arkham provide you with any specific details about the system (no need to talk about it if so happened)?

Nothing worth repeating. We discussed stuff, but mostly he was very forthcoming in proving his place of employment. I don't really feel it appropriate to discuss what else we discussed.

I see, your red letters lead me to believe you more than that guy. So can you shed some light on this or have you already done that? If you already did it, can you post a link where you said it?

Nothing noteworthy posted. People were calling out Arkam's claims of being in the industry, so I verified it. He works for a developer, and that developer has devkits. That is factual.

Donnie

I don't know or really care if he's using an older kit, a different kit than others, or whatever. I just don't think "even the X360 kits have 1Gb of RAM" is an excuse to go back to accuse him of trolling or lying, like some already have based on your post.

Ok first of all my post isn't based on a comparison of the 360 dev kit vs the WiiU dev kit he claims to have. Its based on a person I trust more (and I think most here trust more) saying months ago that dev kits have over 2GB of RAM while Arkam claims only 1GB. Lherre also said that the range of RAM Nintendo were using in WiiU dev kits was 2GB upwards. So the whole "well it might be a older kit with 1GB" is nothing but an excuse IMO.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for doing that. If the system will indeed in its final form be less powerful than Xbox 360 I'm even more interested now to know the technical specifications of Wii U, and how developers will utilize the system to optimize the games. Did Arkam provide you with any specific details about the system (no need to talk about it if so happened)?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
2. He's working with an older dev kit (which Arkam has stated himself)
Yes but even if this is true. It still doesn't bode well that Ninty provided such underpowered devkit in the first place. It's unlikely that the final hardware will be twice as powerful as an early devkit.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
lherre: "The system isn't all that powerful and some people are getting their hopes up too high."
Arkam: "The system isn't all that powerful and some people are getting their hopes up too high."
Pretty much seals the deal for me. Nintendo. How could you.

Speaking of which, where does Nintendo find this kind of dated technology? The hardware which will come out at the end of 2012 is supposed to be less powerful than a console from 2005? It's like with the resistive touchpad, wouldn't you have to specifically search for technology that is so old? Is it even worth the hassle?

Donnie

Not really. I suspect Arkam was mistaken about the RAM or referring to the final system's specifications. Most of what they've said has lined up nicely.

You're really generalising there though and taking what was said out of context. AFAIR Lherre's comment there was in referrence to people talking about WiiU being as powerful as 720/PS4. At no point did he ever claim the kits were weaker than current gen.

The actual details of each posters comments have varied quite a lot and I don't see why that should be smoothed over with "Well he probably meant this or that".

Rösti;35332508 said:
Thanks for doing that. If the system will indeed in its final form be less powerful than Xbox 360 I'm even more interested now to know the technical specifications of Wii U, and how developers will utilize the system to optimize the games.

I would guess the subscreen resolution has been lowered to 360p. That way, Wii U can run Samaritan in the subscreen's native resolution even if the system is far less powerful than 360. Believe.

Speaking of which, where does Nintendo find this kind of dated technology? The hardware which will come out at the end of 2012 is supposed to be less powerful than a console from 2005? It's like with the resistive touchpad, wouldn't you have to specifically search for technology that is so old? Is it even worth the hassle?

Er the resistive touch pad isn't dated technology its just different to what's in fashion and has a huge advantage over capacitive

If he wasn't a hit and run poster, maybe we could.

I get the feeling the NDAs got way too real and he decided to back off from posting. That or he's got a busy and fruitful life and has better things to do with his time than post incessantly on gaming message boards :p

Can I get a link to his WiiU postings? I never realized that he was legit and would love to read his stuff from the beginning.

cyberheater

You're kidding yeah :)

No, not kidding. It does not surprise that Ninty would do the absolute bare minimum required to elevate Wii into HD territory. We've got three verified guys who have said as such and a load of crying fanboys who are jerking over some fantasy hardware dream that simply won't happen.

Give it up.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

I've verified all three. Take that as you will.
While I entirely understand and share your stance in this (I'd do the same in your place), Arkam did say a few things more than what you're saying here. It's those extra things (and not the 'The system isn't all that powerful') that stirred the flurry over the past few pages. Just saying.

Every time I think nintendo is getting it right they always leave out one detail. Can't be the PS2 of the generation if devs can't port to your system.

EatChildren

You're really generalising there though. The actual details have varied quite a lot and I don't see why that should be smoothed over with "Well he probably meant this or that". At no point did Lherre ever claim the kits were weaker than current gen. His comments on people getting their hopes up were in reference to many posts about WiiU being in the same kind of power range as 720/PS4.

The whole point is that it is a generalisation (and I never, not once, claimed lherre said the kits were weaker than current generation systems). People are quite happy to lap up generalisations, but as soon as someone says something 'concrete' that conflicts with their hopes and wishes and dreams it's time for torches and pitchforks. Worse still people trying to dismiss Arkam's claims with the same damn generalisations from other sources. Nobody is willing to humour the possibility of any of Arkam's claims being slightly correct because, fact of the matter is, you don't want to believe it.

And despite all this I too still don't believe Arkam's information is 100% accurate, simply because numerous other sources have stated or implied that you can, in total, squeeze more grunt out of the Wii U than the 360 and PS3. But that is about where this speculation begins and ends. I've heard no concrete specifications that necessarily conflict with what Arkam has said. I don't have any notable reason to believe the system isn't a tri core out of order CPU, or that it doesn't have 1GB of RAM.

Donnie

No, not kidding. It does not surprise that Ninty would do the absolute bare minimum required to elevate Wii into HD territory. We've got three verified guys who have said as such and a load of crying fanboys who are jerking over some fantasy hardware dream that simply won't happen.

Give it up.

You've been convinced by three comments that aren't even direct quotes and have been taken completely out of context in order to look like they mean the same thing? Really?? I think you're in no position to refer to anyone as a fanboy if that's the case.

Mithos

What does this say? Not much because we don't know what THESE developers was expecting/hoping for in terms of "next-gen" hardware.

cyberheater

How can the older dev kits be weaker than the xbox360 if Nintendo has said that the Wii U is more powerful and that devs can easily port over late gen 360 games?
Where did Nintendo say that WiiU is more powerful then Xbox360?

Goodlife

The whole point is that it is a generalisation (and I never, not once, claimed lherre said the kits were weaker than current generation systems). People are quite happy to lap up generalisations, but as soon as someone says something 'concrete' that conflicts with their hopes and wishes and dreams it's time for torches and pitchforks. Worse still people trying to dismiss Arkam's claims with the same damn generalisations from other sources. Nobody is willing to humour the possibility of any of Arkam's claims being slightly correct because, fact of the matter is, you don't want to believe it.

And despite all this I too still don't believe Arkam's information is 100% accurate, simply because numerous other sources have stated or implied that you can, in total, squeeze more grunt out of the Wii U than the 360 and PS3. But that is about where this speculation begins and ends. I've heard no concrete specifications that necessarily conflict with what Arkam has said. I don't have any notable reason to believe the system isn't a tri core out of order CPU, or that it doesn't have 1GB of RAM.

We'll him stating "it's weaker than the 360" has made him into a bit of a joke poster, it must be said and has made it fairly easy to dismiss the rest of his claims.

cyberheater

We'll him stating "it's weaker than the 360" has made him into a bit of a joke poster, it must be said and has made it fairly easy to dismiss the rest of his claims.

He only said the GPU was weaker and the memory was a bit slow. How does that make him a joke poster?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
How can the older dev kits be weaker than the xbox360 if Nintendo has said that the Wii U is more powerful and that devs can easily port over late gen 360 games?
I don't remember Nintendo saying something like that. Though several developers and analysts said last year only good things about the Wii U's power in relation to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

John Carmack of ID Software said in an interview with GameSpot on the 9th of June 2011 the following:
But you know the technology level on there brings it up to parity with the other consoles, which is nice for us.
Source: http://e3.gamespot.com/story/631872...alks-wii-u-playstation-vita-and-next-gen-rage

And Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia said to Industry Gamers on the 13th of June 2011 the following:
Some of the developers we spoke to indicated to us that the console will have 50% more processing power compared to the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360. This is yet to be confirmed by Nintendo.
Source: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/wii-u-is-actually-50-more-powerful-than-ps3---report/

Now, John's comment is a bit similar to what Arkam has written. If Wii U is only slightly less powerful than Xbox 360, it certainly would bring it to parity with both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. At least regarding portability.

z0m3le

Banned

I think Arkam really helped any speculation we could of had, it means 1TFlops is off the table, especially if people think an HD6670 is the base for x720, I will stop speculating with hard numbers, but something based on one of these types of GPUs would have half the memory bus (128bit) in Wii U it would be a low clocked part with maybe twice the Gflops in early dev units, but it would have modern shaders (with "plenty of features" that arkam is talking about and yet have "no teeth")

That is exactly what trinity is, Nintendo did happen to patent Triforce again, maybe they will use it for the code name of their GPU, to be honest this would put the hard numbers around 2x the 360 and I'm ok with that.

If the WiiU doesn't have at least 2008 or so graphic processing tech I'm not buying it until it reaches a mass market price ($99-$150). I borrowed a Wii from friends until recently because I believed it to be overpriced for much of its life, and if the same is true of the WiiU I will likely do that again.

Rhod

Some pertinent quotes from authoritative figures?

Miyamoto said:
Talking about the Wii U, it is going to be compatible with high-definition TV sets, which are now widespread and, with the graphics capabilities catching up to the general trend, some people consider it to be the "next-generation Wii." On the other hand, as far as graphics capabilities are concerned, there are already other hardware systems with similar functions.

Takeda said:
So, how to differentiate the Wii U in terms of brand-new uniqueness with other video game systems is important, and regarding this point, all I can say today is, we now have the new controller which revolves around the original concept of the Wii Remote, and the developers can take advantage of multiple screens, which enable them to leverage upon the unique combination of a big TV screen and a smaller screen in player’s hands.

Goodlife

He only said the GPU was weaker and the memory was a bit slow. How does that make him a joke poster?

Because the 360's memory is slow enough anyway and it's like 5-6 years later.

If Nintendo were going to go really cheap ass on the Wii U why stick 1GB of RAM in?
If they want a box that is weaker than the 360 there is no need for that.

Damn the last couple of days have been hairy.

Maybe we can reboot the thread for GDC whether or not we hit 20k.

Wii U speculation 3: We're tumescent for GDC.

Donnie

No I don't believe him because his info doesn't match up with most other sources and I'm not going to make excuses like "he might have been confused" in order to believe him. I don't see why anyone should be accused of only believing what they want to believe just because they won't do that. Someone needs to be convincing for me to believe them. If they say something that I believe is wrong (because it goes against someone I do believe), then everything else they say comes into question, that's only logical when talking about someone I know nothing about.

I'm not sure what concrete info he's come out with either. Everything he's said is in the public domain. We all knew the CPU was triple core and in order for instance, that's been said before by Lherre. A poster, by the way, who was never over the top or full of praise for WiiU. People didn't believe him because they wanted to believe him, they did so because he was believable.

Door2Dawn

Banned
I refuse to believe that Nintendo would make the same mistake again with Wii U. I mean that would surpass sony levels of stupidity,and those guys have made some pretty fucking stupid decisions.

Goodlife

I refuse to believe that Nintendo would make the same mistake again with Wii U. I mean that would surpass sony levels of stupidity,and those guys have made some pretty fucking stupid decisions.

What mistake? Being the generation leader and making a bucket load of cash?????

EDarkness

My only problem with Arkam is that he stated it was weaker than the 360 which I don't think has been said anywhere when developers discuss the Wii U, so for me that just sends red flags up. I don't think he should be lynched or anything, I just simply think there's something off about the comment. Maybe he's right, but it just doesn't jive with what we've been hearing so far. Is it going to blow everyone's socks off? I don't think so, either.

Maybe Nintendo will find that happy middle ground where most people are happy with the design. But until we know more, there just isn't any way to tell, however if the tech demos are anything to go by, then I'm fine with what they have so far.

What mistake? Being the generation leader and making a bucket load of cash?????

And completely failing to cater to the likes of the people who went solely ps3 and 360 only? I'm sure nintendo would have enjoyed the dollar of 50 millions consumers.

Edit: And even if the damn thing is on par with the 360 it will still effectively be and Wii. Just what is Tecmo, EA, and Crytek telling nintendo that they want in the machine...

cyberheater

Because the 360's memory is slow enough anyway and it's like 5-6 years later.

If Nintendo were going to go really cheap ass on the Wii U why stick 1GB of RAM in?
If they want a box that is weaker than the 360 there is no need for that.

Remember that he's talking about a older dev kit and that they were expecting another revision.
I think the main thrust of what he was trying to say is obvious. I think they were expecting at least 2x current gen and realised that was never going to happen.
Giving what we know now. I expect the final hardware to have a similar performance or maybe just a tad more of current gen with hopefully more memory. If they did ship with 1gig then that would be a huge help for devs and make porting a lot easier.

Nintendo took a monumental risk with its control interface for the Wii, so going low cost on the tech inside the console was a smart way to mitigate that risk. I don't think the tablet controller is anywhere near the risk that the Wii-mote was, so going low cost on the hardware makes a lot less sense to me.

ozfunghi

He did what now? He said something concrete? I must have missed it.

Bottomline, he says PS360 games need to be downscaled to run on WiiU. None of the "concrete info" he gave, explains that. Lherre said it is obviously more powerful, but not as much as people might hope. These are two opposite statements.

How you can pretend they both said the same thing is beyond me. Generalisation or not, because if you are going to generalize like that, your entire argument is without merrit.

Your statement that nobody is willing to believe ANY of his statements is also plain false. I'm willing to believe the amount of RAM, the fact that it's not that fast, the type of CPU, the decently specced GPU lacking pure muscle... but how ANY of that amounts to having to downscale 360 games in order for them to be able to run, i do not see. And when asked about that, he runs while crying "don't shoot the messenger"? It reeks of trolling any way you slice it. Capcom said they had RE5 running on 3DS without too many difficulties iirc, but the WiiU needs downscaled versions of 360 games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom