• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

For those expecting a podcast release this weekend, don't. All of the information you're getting at this point is from leaked scans of the GI article. As is the case with all cover stories, the magazine needs to start hitting more hands before we offer full clarifications.

I will say this, some of the conclusions that are being reached are not entirely accurate. Some of the mp items mentioned in the story have changed since the media visit. I can't really say too much more at this time, but please be patient while we begin clarifying and answering questions in the near future.

As Frank has said previously, we knew some elements of the Halo mp evolution would be controversial in some circles, while many others would be less so. Keep in mind that none of these design decisions have been made lightly, but have been carefully thought out and continue to be tweaked based on feedback from people playing the game.

And yes, Spartan Ops is as awesome as it sounds. Can't wait to share more.

How was it a careful decision to decide for weapons to magically fall from the sky in random locations? Or allow insta-respawns...

Karl2177

Pre-order cancelled. 343 just shot themselves in the foot.

Har har. Until I have a full picture of everything, I'm just going with the information I have been presented. I'm not going to blindly say it is good, because "things are subject to change" or "they are going to clear it up later". I'm fully capable of readjusting my viewpoint when more is presented and/or clarified. At the current moment, if I were to make a decision on purchasing the game, I would because of the single player. When the time finally comes to make a decision, I will use all of the evidence presented to make that decision.

How was it a careful decision to decide for weapons to magically fall from the sky in random locations? Or allow insta-respawns...

5f916611f927b87da83560df23d824c09e5f799b.jpg

Ken

Forerunner/X-ray vision isn't that game-breaking if they add certain balancing mechanisms to it. Blacklight Tango had it, and there were a ton of counters and cons to walking around while seeing through walls, IIRC.

I don't mind any of the leaked/listed changes to the game, at least not until I play the game for myself. While I get the dislike over Halo borrowing ideas from CoD, in the end CoD is still a fun shooter so it's not like Halo 4 will now turn out bad because it shares similarities with CoD.

Har har. Until I have a full picture of everything, I'm just going with the information I have been presented. I'm not going to blindly say it is good, because "things are subject to change" or "they are going to clear it up later". I'm fully capable of readjusting my viewpoint when more is presented and/or clarified. At the current moment, if I were to make a decision on purchasing the game, I would because of the single player. When the time finally comes to make a decision, I will use all of the evidence presented to make that decision.

Well it's good to know you're agreeing with what I have maintained all along :p

Ken

If anything weapon drops should be broadcasted slightly beforehand. IMO it should promote games with less camping and more map movement. Now your team can't just camp some spot and pop out to take the timed rocket launcher and run back to your camping spot and repeat until the game ends. While I do dislike random factors in competitive multiplayer games, I don't play Halo with a competitive mindset so it doesn't bother me.

Karl2177

Well it's good to know you're agreeing with what I have maintained all along :p

Well, when everyone comes in saying "Look at the reactions people are making here lol" I can't help but back my viewpoint. Currently, I don't like the multiplayer. A ViDoc focusing on it, a sample of a match+prematch viewing of Infinity, or a beta might sway my mind. Take the hint 343. You're gonna need something to Boss Nasti prove it to us otherwise.

Forerunner/X-ray vision isn't that game-breaking if they add certain balancing mechanisms to it. Blacklight Tango had it, and there were a ton of counters and cons to walking around while seeing through walls, IIRC.

I don't mind any of the leaked/listed changes to the game, at least not until I play the game for myself. While I get the dislike over Halo borrowing ideas from CoD, in the end CoD is still a fun shooter so it's not like Halo 4 will now turn out bad because it shares similarities with CoD.

I was actually hoping for a similar armor ability in Halo Reach back in the day. Maybe not being able to shoot while using it, and a long activating/deactivating time would work as counters for it. I thought it worked pretty well in Blacklight Tango.

Same. I think the biggest problem is everyone wants Halo 2.5, which as great as that would be, we aren't going to get in this era of shooters.

feel

^ Glad you're having fun.

I remain very, very, very skeptical. Frankie and David's posts become less and less reassuring as more information comes out. :(
Yeah, they're good people and I'm sure they really mean everything they're saying but the Bungie employees also honestly thought and then had us believing that forge world, bloom and armor abilities were amazing additions to Halo in the Reach vidocs. :(

Just saw the full scans. MY LORD THE VISUALS! *drools*

Overdoziz

Banned
If anything weapon drops should be broadcasted slightly beforehand. IMO it should promote games with less camping and more map movement. Now your team can't just camp some spot and pop out to take the timed rocket launcher and run back to your camping spot and repeat until the game ends. While I do dislike random factors in competitive multiplayer games, I don't play Halo with a competitive mindset so it doesn't bother me.
"Armor Abilities look pretty cool"

As said earlier, I can't wait for 343 to spin this shit just like Bungie did. Remember all that BS about how awesome bloom, armor abilities, Invasion, Arena, the race gametypes, the armory, commendations, "all-this-blue-and-grey-shit-looks-the-same" Forge maps, and such would be for Halo? They made it sound like sweet sweet gravy on a Thanksgiving turkey, and all of it either sucked (bloom) or ended up being a total non-factor (commendations). Prepare for explanations of how random fucking weapon drops and perks make Halo better, complete with the typical Halo buzzwords like "sandbox".

EXACTLY, My god, im glad someone came out and said it.

I got soooo amped for Reach because I followed Bungie's podcasts and everything so closely to get every minute detail. I took their word for it that it would be a great Halo game. I was severely disappointed.

Now because of Reach i've been looking at everything with a skeptic's view, and quite honestly, i was amped when the H4 cover was revealed, but after hearing this, my heart sunk, this is NOT Halo. So much of this stuff just doesnt seem like it's going to work in a Halo setting. I dont know, i guess i'll wait till I actually see gameplay before I go too crazy, but I honestly wouldn't be suprised to watch pre-order numbers shrink in the next week or two if things don't get cleared up.

WJD

^ Glad you're having fun.

Yeah, they're good people and I'm sure they really mean everything they're saying but the Bungie employees also honestly thought and then had us believing that forge world, bloom and armor abilities were amazing additions to Halo in the Reach vidocs. :(

Just saw the full scans. MY LORD THE VISUALS! *drools*

The most redeeming thing from all 14 pages. Looks gorgeous.

Maybe this is all a ploy, maybe they're actually making Halo bad so I'll go on to get my masters this fall instead of play H4?!

(Clarification: Was never going to get my master's haha)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
reach was an evolution of halo 3, which was an evolution of 2, which evolved from CE. halo 4 continues this. people have this warped (self centered?) sense of what halo is.

i fully expect that 343i has IMPROVED the systems they are continuing from reach, which admittedly had flaws. to think otherwise is being disingenuous to 343's abilities.

EDIT: removed quote. i have a bad habit of quoting one person only to add in responses to other arguements throughout the thread. my original post was not directed to any one individual.

Well, when everyone comes in saying "Look at the reactions people are making here lol" I can't help but back my viewpoint. Currently, I don't like the multiplayer. A ViDoc focusing on it, a sample of a match+prematch viewing of Infinity, or a beta might sway my mind. Take the hint 343. You're gonna need something to Boss Nasti prove it to us otherwise.

I just laugh it off though. We have little or no context to base our opinions off of. No gameplay footage, no concrete examples, nothing. Why would I form an opinion so soon? It's really foolish to. Sure, reactions to buzz words are all we have right now but I'mm going to wait for substantial information before I start getting mad/upset.

I simply do not know what to feel until then... besides amusement :p

Damage control needs to be done 343...damage control... :'-(

Random thoughts so far:

There is at least one thing that will still distinguish Halo from Call of Duty, thankfully: no aim down sights. So you will still have the traditional encounters in matchmaking, which is still the most important part of the game that 343 could leave intact. Well, I guess that's assuming people don't mind AA's. That leaves Gears being the main 3rd person shooter, Call of Duty the ADS FPS, and then Halo the non-ADS FPS.

The perks system, which I don't really care for, should at least become a non-factor over time as everyone maxes out their armor/weapon upgrades. I do find it a bit odd that 343 is implementing random power weapon spawns to prevent the better/veteran players from taking advantage of the newer players. But they are also adding these perks that will essentially give the players who have spent more time in the game an advantage of the same new players.

I can deal with the random power weapon spawns, because I prefer the focus of the game being on combat and not on how soon a person can get their hands on a power weapon for the easy pew pew kills. "zomg look at my sniper highlights - i'm so good!" But it will remove the strategy involved in fighting over the power weapons and I think most people will dislike that. I definitely can envision scenarios where you're chasing someone down and they randomly find a rocket launcher, turn around, and kill you, instead. Those type of situations are going to suck. Whether or not random power weapons will make it easier for the casual crowd or not, having power weapons set as static spawns is the only true fair option. I'm not a big fan of randomness in game. It makes things even more frustrating when you're on the losing end. Power weapons need to be balanced by the other weapons and then it wouldn't be a problem. In Reach, they weren't.

The instant spawn thing is probably the biggest eye sore for me right now. But, it also seems like something that will be the easiest to alter after release if it doesn't work. And I imagine it will be adjusted. Random spawns have been a big problem in the past games, and I just don't see any way that adding instant spawns to the equation is going to improve the issue. I guess I'll wait and see.

Along the same lines, if forerunner vision turns out to be a pile of crap, it too can be removed. Although how long did it take for AA's to be adjusted in Reach? /sadface

Havok

reach was an evolution of halo 3, which was an evolution of 2, which evolved from CE. halo 4 continues this. people have this warped (self centered?) sense of what halo is.

i fully expect that 343i has IMPROVED the systems they are continuing from reach, which admittedly had flaws. to think otherwise is being disingenuous to 343's abilities.
The thing is, folks are generally fine with change in the end as long as it's executed well - the "people just want Halo 2 in HD" jibe has always been silly. But what we have to go on is a history of really poorly executed changes in this series with a few gems mixed in, and so people see this huge list of things that could very well fundamentally change Halo in drastic, crazy ways and they overreact. Especially when the list is comprised largely of a list of things that today's homogenized military shooters have standardized and Halo has always separated itself from, which contributed to the series keeping its identity. That's not to say that it can't be added to Halo, just that it has to be done very carefully, which is not really conveyed well in the article (which is all we have to go on, and blind faith hasn't always worked out with Halo).

I don't blame people for having misgivings over this stuff. A magazine is an extremely poor avenue to detail massive changes like this to a franchise - no context for what any of this actually means, no back-and-forth with developers (either in a Bulletin sense or with those that post here) from not wanting to cannibalize magazine sales or whatever, and no ability to see any of this stuff in action for ourselves. It's all well and good that some people can adopt a wait-and-see approach (I certainly am, with some trepidation), I just don't think that it's all that crazy for people to draw conclusions from the information that's out there.

Random thoughts so far:

There is at least one thing that will still distinguish Halo from Call of Duty, thankfully: no aim down sights. So you will still have the traditional encounters in matchmaking, which is still the most important part of the game that 343 could leave intact. Well, I guess that's assuming people don't mind AA's. That leaves Gears being the main 3rd person shooter, Call of Duty the ADS FPS, and then Halo the non-ADS FPS.

You just wait, you just god damn wait..

ANNOUNCED AT E3:

HALO 4 WILL HAVE AIM DOWN SIGHTS BY HOLDING THE LEFT TRIGGER!!!!

hahaha.

But seriously yeah, these buzz words were a buzz kill. I'll have to wait to see more, but i've never thought Reach looked so good.. my god.

feel

EDIT: removed quote. i have a bad habit of quoting one person only to add in responses to other arguements throughout the thread. my original post was not directed to any one individual.
Why is it just Halo that is always in constant need to evolve into something that it's not? You don't see Street Fighter, Starcraft, Counter-Strike and Call Of Duty evolving into something the longtime fans don't want. This always puzzled me.

That being said, I still kinda expecting (hoping) to be blown away by the changes and fixes to AAs brought forth by 343i here and eat some crow. What's the ETA on the podcast??

edit-

@Gui Hepburn

Karl2177

I just laugh it off though. We have little or no context to base our opinions off of. No gameplay footage, no concrete examples, nothing. Why would I form an opinion so soon? It's really foolish to. Sure, reactions to buzz words are all we have right now but I'mm going to wait for substantial information before I start getting mad/upset.

I simply do not know what to feel until then... besides amusement :p

Little to none is correct, but it is still something. I don't think it's foolish to form an opinion early on, but I like to have a viewpoints on everything.

Now I'm off to play some Halo 3 campaign. The Ark looks promising. : )

Why is it just Halo that is always in constant need to evolve into something that it's not? You don't see Street Fighter, Starcraft, Counter-Strike and Call Of Duty evolving into something the longtime fans don't want. This always puzzled me.

That being said, I still kinda expecting (hoping) to be blown away by the changes and fixes to AAs brought forth by 343i here and eat some crow. What's the ETA on the podcast??

Don't think there is an ETA on podcast.

It would make sense to put make it sooner then later with the large amount of chaos happening. All bout dat damage control at this point

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

edit-

@Gui Hepburn

to be fair though, thats one of the reasons people knock SF and, especially, CoD. i actually commend bungie and 343 for striving to improve the core halo experience by adding different ways to play and more layers of depth rather then releasing the "yearly installment" of new maps (or characters, in SF's case). again, its arguable reach succeeded in this, but i have hope that 343 learned from reach's mistakes (from base player traits affecting all modes - vanilla to classic, bleedthrough, bloom, as well as unbalanced AA's) and have fine tuned its additions while adding their own to that system.

I'm pretty sure we're going to get a few BTS videos detailing everything from the GI articles and more.

It's a matter of patiently waiting for them.

Yeah, I'm patiently waiting for such videos, but I'm just thinking that maybe there would be less backlash if these things were explained as they were being revealed. Right now, we're kind of left in the dark with only our ability to jump to conclusions.

TheOddOne

So goddamn true.

I wonder if there will still be weapons spawning on maps without the random thing. Will there be needlers, BR's etc at fixed spots? And what about the semi-power weapons? I really need some answers about the random spawning :(

Top Bottom