• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable Trilogy (leaked?)

I never understood the praise for 2 (Yeah yeah opinions). It was painfully easy, the story wasn't good, and the final confrontation was one of the worst in video game history.

The dog was awesome though I'll give it that.

Easy: They were all dirt easy. The actual gameplay itself was better (more smooth, less clunky) than in Fable 3. I did enjoy Fable 1's combat a lot too, it was quite enjoyable. Surprisingly, there was some actual depth to Fable 2's one button combat. I HATED it when I first played it, but after some time I picked it up and gave it a chance and ended up enjoying it, especially getting the timing down on shooting the guns quickly.

Story: Best in the series IMO. Perfectly captures the dark fairytale aesthetic and tone the series tries to go for. Man looses his wife and becomes corrupted in his quest to bring her back.

Final Confrontation: Honestly don't remember it, but the series has always been terrible at endings. Fable 1's was pretty mediocre and the black goo monsters from 3 were stupid too.

Also can't forget that the game has the peak of the series humor as well. The side missions in particular are the best they've ever done some fun DLC missions as well (controlling weather in one and being inside a snowglode town from the first game in another) and they really filled out the game nicely.

It also had a great meta-game where you could buy all the property in the game (another thing that Fable 3 managed to somehow make less enjoyable, even with adding more features and functionality to it).
And there was some well done time jumps that actually let you effect things on a large scale with your decisions (a bit of a cheat, but it works). Whether you funded a town or not will change if it's a nice place or a pirate shithole, and what you did in another place also changes things a lot.

Honestly, I feel like Fable 2 came the closest to what the series was suppose to be out of all of the games. I just want it on my goddamn PC with the rest of the games! :(

abracadaver

I understand companies have more incentive to release these on past-gen consoles, but I would be much more interested to see these types of bundles on the One and PS4.

Same, but that would require actual work (porting the games) from them. This is way cheaper, just put a few download codes in a box and call it a day.

Also fable 3 was already free 6 months ago

Story: Best in the series IMO. Perfectly captures the dark fairytale aesthetic and tone the series tries to go for. Man looses his wife and becomes corrupted in his quest to bring her back.

I don't want to defend Fable 3 - like, I really don't - because the overall experience is just so unsatisfactory, but there are parts of Fable 3 where a genuinely good game with a compelling storyline is really trying to get out and escape from the focus tested inconsistent shit that makes up the rest of the game.

The arrival in the desert sequence I recall being extremely good and compelling that it managed to drag my overall memories of the game up slightly from "irredeemably bad" to just painfully mediocre.

Phediuk

So this is basically the video game equivalent of buying the whole Toby Maguire Spider-man trilogy of movies, except worse.

You get to see a series awkwardly grope towards something great and meaningful, but fail, fall, and die trying.

I like this analogy.

Immensely enjoyed the first 2 (in spite of the ending to 2 being rather sudden, imo) but the inclusion of 3 really kills this for me. It was that bad.

Moertel

I swear to heaven, I must be the only human being who enjoyed each of these games. Perfect? Nope. Technical showpieces? Not really. Customiza n-heavy action-RPG with subtle passage-of-time mechanics, an oddball sense of humor and an interesting, English-influenced fantasy setting? Yup. I'll take it.

Oh hell no. No, you are not. I really adored Fable 3 (its DLCs too), it's almost as good as Fable 2 if you ask me. Couldn't get into Fable 1 as much, but still enjoyed that a lot.

The franchise just tends to be very niche. The elements you've listed...certainly not "mainstream", especially in that combination. But I always loved the setting, the humor, the artstyle, the easy combat.

H3xum

How awful of a person am I that the price point is worth not having to switch discs if you're really into the games, which I clearly am

FyreWulff

How awful of a person am I that the price point is worth not having to switch discs if you're really into the games, which I clearly am

I bought Rock Band 3 GonD just so I wouldn't have to switch discs.

My Rock Band 3 disc was in the disc drive when I downloaded it.

If it's worth the money to you, it's worth the money to you.

GPsych

I would absolutely buy it for X1 - especially if they fix the severe frame rate problems in Fable 3. I love all three of those games, although 2 is my fave.

The franchise just tends to be very niche.

A franchise whose every installment sells in excess of 3.5 million copies can hardly be called niche. I suppose the success of Fable can be puzzling to some core gamers, but the series really appeals to the crowd that usually doesn't play RPG games or action adventures or standard gamers' games in general. For instance, my girlfriend got into Fable 2 because of the dog and the ability to sleep around and have children. She'd do the quests and everything, but those were just side attractions to her.

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed Fable 2, and the first game was not bad either, although it was held back by Xbox 's hardware limitations (which were sadly still evident in the PC port). I've yet to play Fable III and the spin-offs, so I can't really comment on the direction the series took in recent years.

I don't want to defend Fable 3 - like, I really don't - because the overall experience is just so unsatisfactory, but there are parts of Fable 3 where a genuinely good game with a compelling storyline is really trying to get out and escape from the focus tested inconsistent shit that makes up the rest of the game.

The arrival in the desert sequence I recall being extremely good and compelling that it managed to drag my overall memories of the game up slightly from "irredeemably bad" to just painfully mediocre.

Yeah, the desert part was pretty much the only part I liked of that game too. Your second in command friend who gets blind was actually well done.

Fable 3 was like a weird. Especially with how the main character now talks during cutscenes, but continues to be mute (outside of "Follow" or "Stay") in-game and communicated with gestures and farts. And I have no idea just how they tweak the gameplay JUST enough to make me not like it at all. Guns didn't feel as good, swords felt less responsive, and the magic gauntlets was an interesting idea but ended up feeling limiting.

Mr. F

Banned
Ah, Fable...come for the atmosphere and world, stay for the...

....I'll think of something, hold on.

I don't care what anyone thinks, I thoroughly enjoyed all 3, not even as a guilty pleasure, I won't even hide the fact that I love these games.

Release anniversary and part 2 on steam, and I'll double dip just to have them on pc.

Ah, Fable...come for the atmosphere and world, stay for the...

....I'll think of something, hold on.

Come on, the games didn't live up to the immense hype that Molyneux built up, but to pretend the first two weren't fun to play is just silly...

A nice reminder that I wasted all of those precious hours playing through all three of them. There were parts about two that I liked, but I really dislike the series as a whole.

I bought Rock Band 3 GonD just so I wouldn't have to switch discs.

My Rock Band 3 disc was in the disc drive when I downloaded it.

If it's worth the money to you, it's worth the money to you.

Same here. I played Rock Band soooo much (and still do!) that it was easily worth the money.

H3xum

So true. Fable 1 aka Broken Promises: The Game.
And the series only went downhill from there.

I wish I could hop into an alternative universe where Peter didn't say anything but still released the same product. Praise and love would be showered 10 fold

Mr. F

Banned
Come on, the games didn't live up to the immense hype that Molyneux built up, but to pretend the first two weren't fun to play is just silly...

Not pretending, I appreciated what they were trying to do and sunk a good amount of time into them trying to 'get it,' but they just didn't do anything for me.

antitrop

I wish I could hop into an alternative universe where Peter didn't say anything but still released the same product. Praise and love would be showered 10 fold

The first one at release was still like a 7/10 game, at best. Shit story, fairly basic combat, repetitive quests, and extremely short for an RPG (~10 hours).

The insurmountable amount of hype that Molyneux lavished over the game led to a backlash, but even without that, the game never would have set the gaming world on fire.

The first one at release was still like a 7/10 game, at best. Shit story, fairly basic combat, repetitive quests, and extremely short for an RPG (~10 hours).

I know the Fable games are divisive, but I still think that's an unfair assessment, particularly given it's not an RPG, it's an Action game with light RPG elements.

H3xum

The insurmountable amount of hype that Molyneux lavished over the game led to a backlash, but even without that, the game never would have set the gaming world on fire.

"Shit story" is your opinion, it was a serviceable base story and then you can somewhat make your own story with how you complete quests and act, the citizens react differently to you adding another neat layer to the story. The combat was fun and rewarding, mixing all 3 styles, melee, range and magic fluidly was something that wasn't done all that well back then, you must be comparing it to modern games. Repetitive quests is entirely too vague, you can say that about any game given your standards, yes, you have to hunt some stuff, follow some people, and find some things, that's every game ever. Lastly, it's not a pure RPG. If you can find all of the keys and complete the other objectives in 10 hours then you must be amazing at games. You can mainline most any game at 10 hours with the obvious huge exceptions.

Probably wasted my time typing that out given all of your negative responses in this thread, but, I wanted to just put that out there.

Chinner

Banned
to be brunt, the fable franchise is a pretty shit one, and won't be remembered fondly as an rpg. not overly bothered about this

Marc

Can I plant an acorn now?

If not, then screw this game.

Joking aside, and ignoring all the expectations of the game it was incredibly shallow and not deserving of the attention it got by blatantly lying. Bought the first like a sucker, got the second from some discount bin from a blockbuster going out of business. Felt robbed on both occasions.

Still, I would love if the original ideas inspired someone to make that game for the next gen platforms. Would be out of this world.

Bungie

Find it funny for people who buy this & has never played Fable, they are going to be wondering why first Fable looks better than the other to.

Tagyhag

That makes zero sense.

It's hard to explain, but it's like if you were told that you'd receive $1000 free, but when you receive the parcel, it turns out to be only $100.

I mean, you're still happy with getting $100, but you really wanted the $1000 that you were promised.

Doesn't include all the dlc for the games (preorder bonus, le, ce content).... pass, it's the same as the Mass Effect Trilogy. Not worth the purchase.

What a bummer. I think I have most, if not all the DLC for Fable 2 and have a copy of TLC somewhere for Xbox. Didn't buy Fable 3 and have been waiting for a 'complete' edition with the DLC included.

This is easy to pass on then.

Great games with an atmosphere and sense of humour I really like. I even thought number 3 was pretty good, despite being the weakest. The hate this series gets on gaf makes me glad I am able to experience games for what they are rather than constantly thinking "oh man, I can't believe this doesn't live up to the hype created by the guy who made this, worst game ever"

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Another money horse? Another money horse. Peter left Microsoft with good reason and hopefully he comes up with some fantastic games this gen.

Nemesis_

Not surprising tbh, it makes perfect sense now that I think about it.

I find it really hard to believe that nobody already owns Fable 2 and Fable 3 already though.

FyreWulff

Not surprising tbh, it makes perfect sense now that I think about it.

I find it really hard to believe that nobody already owns Fable 2 and Fable 3 already though.

Tradition will state that 2 months after release, Microsoft will accidentally make Anniversary free on Live.

Top Bottom