• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Edition (JP) |OT| The World is not enough

PKrockin

Was it you looking for how to unlock Hyper Astalos, Dragonlife? I just unlocked HR Hyper Astalos by completing a few easy 6-star Hyper quests.

Lizardus

Hey guys, how do I access the BotW costume dlc?

Download the DLC from main menu or talking to the cat in your room. It's the G rank event quest with Kushala Daora in Frozen Seaway and requires you to be HR13.

Ancient Bow is Basarios event quest in Arena and you need to be HR4.

Korok set for your palico requires mats from Nerscylla event quest in Arena where you have to break its back and you need to be HR9.

Yousefb

Download the DLC from main menu or talking to the cat in your room. It's the G rank event quest with Kushala Daora in Frozen Seaway and requires you to be HR13.

Ancient Bow is Basarios event quest in Arena and you need to be HR4.

Korok set for your palico requires mats from Nerscylla event quest in Arena where you have to break its back and you need to be HR9.
Damn guess i got a ways to go then haha. Thanks.

Lizardus

Got ignored in my own thread...

I'll be honest, I'm still deciphering your post. You want to know what each buttons do and combos for each weapon? Probably try the weapon tutorial videos from gaijinhunter or someone.

Also, what do you mean by "problem of The Claw"? I've never needed to use The Claw after the PSP games.

luulubuu

I'll be honest, I'm still deciphering your post. You want to know what each buttons do and combos for each weapon? Probably try the weapon tutorial videos from gaijinhunter or someone.

Also, what do you mean by "problem of The Claw"? I've never needed to use The Claw after the PSP games.

Well, first of all cut the deciphering part because not all people are native english speakers and some stuff can get weird, no need to be a fucking ass about it.

And yeah, the claw playing with the joycon grip is pretty evident, at least with me and my tiny hands

Lizardus

Well, first of all cut the deciphering part because not all people are native english speakers and some stuff can get weird, no need to be a fucking ass about it.

And yeah, the claw playing with the joycon grip is pretty evident, at least with me and my tiny hands

Not being an ass, your original post was just worded weirdly. I use a Pro Controller and with the help of lock-on, I don't need to have a finger on the right stick at all times so it's helpful.

Lizardus

Cool tips to play a game:

buy a controller

Woah, if only I thought about that by myself alone??

Yes, even with Joycons (handheld mode or the grip), I personally don't need to have a finger on the right stick at all times because of the lock-on. We're not getting anywhere with this so I'll let someone else respond.

Hope to play with you sometimes!

Juraash

My hands aren't particularly huge and I haven't found a claw grip necessary with the joycon or the grip. I also don't use the boss lock camera thing. I'm not sure how to help you :/ I haven't had to use a claw grip for MH in a long, long time.

And I don't think anyone was being rude, we just aren't sure how to help.

luulubuu

My hands aren't particularly huge and I haven't found a claw grip necessary with the joycon or the grip. I also don't use the boss lock camera thing. I'm not sure how to help you :/ I haven't had to use a claw grip for MH in a long, long time.

And I don't think anyone was being rude, we just aren't sure how to help.

Well, not insist in how I worded something even when I stated that enligsh is not my first language is already an improvement, so thanks.

This is my first MonHun that I play in a very long time and my two sessions has been very stressful because my team mates assumed I was a pro for some reason and I kept diying and missing concepts and getting the sword back etc.

They went directly to the monsters and I couldnt figure it out what to do in any moment even if I can read the texts, the controls didnt click with me and it's a very stressful situation. Most of my attacks won't connect, I don't know a real way to put my hands in the grip and I hate being carried, I didn't buy a game to sit back and miss all the fun.

I guess I will wait to buy a Pro Controller and go by myself for a bit and try to learn the synergy of the combat.

Juraash

Monster Hunter is one of those games that can be rough getting back into. I know I felt really rusty in XX as I hadn't played in a while. It might be worth watching a few videos that cover the weapon and/or style you want to play just to refresh your memory.

I'm not sure a pro controller will solve your problems right away. My personal feeling is that the pro controller is more comfortable for larger hands. I bought one and wound up sticking with the joycon grip. Maybe just give it a few more nights and see if you settle into it a bit more. It's easy to get frustrated if you feel like you're a pro and are getting carted a lot.

I also can't tell exactly how long you've been playing XX. You said your two sessions so it sounds like just a little, but maybe just spend some time in village feeling things out again? I know that might sound kind of silly, but it's a much less stressful environment to get back in your groove.

luulubuu

Monster Hunter is one of those games that can be rough getting back into. I know I felt really rusty in XX as I hadn't played in a while. It might be worth watching a few videos that cover the weapon and/or style you want to play just to refresh your memory.

I'm not sure a pro controller will solve your problems right away. My personal feeling is that the pro controller is more comfortable for larger hands. I bought one and wound up sticking with the joycon grip. Maybe just give it a few more nights and see if you settle into it a bit more. It's easy to get frustrated if you feel like you're a pro and are getting carted a lot.

I also can't tell exactly how long you've been playing XX. You said your two sessions so it sounds like just a little, but maybe just spend some time in village feeling things out again? I know that might sound kind of silly, but it's a much less stressful environment to get back in your groove.

Totally, my sessions were pretty much my friends assuming I knew stuff how to do it and going straight for monsters, so I lets say an hour? Half of that I was clueless about what I was doing.

Not very cool

Juraash

Totally, my sessions were pretty much my friends assuming I knew stuff how to do it and going straight for monsters, so I lets say an hour? Half of that I was clueless about what I was doing.

Not very cool

That sounds like a real bummer no matter the game. I'm sorry your first sessions with this one have been that lousy :(

I would say definitely try and play village a bit and just do a little solo stuff. You don't have to spend a lot of time there, maybe a few hours, but enough to find your rhythm again. That's advice I'd give to almost anyone starting a new MH game. And I would certainly give that a try before spending the money on a pro controller.

nick_b

That sounds like a real bummer no matter the game. I'm sorry your first sessions with this one have been that lousy :(

I would say definitely try and play village a bit and just do a little solo stuff. You don't have to spend a lot of time there, maybe a few hours, but enough to find your rhythm again. That's advice I'd give to almost anyone starting a new MH game. And I would certainly give that a try before spending the money on a pro controller.

I agree with the spending time in village quests first. MH4U was my first MH game. I'm around 70-80 hours into it and have never played online yet. I'm not confident in my abilities. I tend to charge in headfirst and get carted a lot. Still on village 8 in MH4U. I don't want to be the person that ruins 3 other people's online game so I am trying to better myself on solo before I jump into online.

There is so much to learn in these games.

About the controls I tend to use the pro controller. I bought it mainly because I experience the left joycon disconnect problem and haven't felt like addressing it. The joycons are pretty uncomfortable to me unless I play with split joycons.

PKrockin

I just use the joycons. I don't see any need to claw when you've got target cam and the second analog stick. It also helps that my ZL/ZR buttons are set to option 3, the one where ZL+X/A/B are the arts, because it frees up the d-pad for camera movement too. That way I can make quick adjustments to the camera with my left thumb while my right thumb is busy doing a hammer triple pound or greatsword charge.

If you're screwing up and dying I'd recommend doing village stuff as well. (Though I think 70-80 hours without ever having played online is kind of extreme, lol.) Watch Gaijinhunter's tutorial video for whatever weapon you're using if you don't understand the moveset.

Was it you looking for how to unlock Hyper Astalos, Dragonlife? I just unlocked HR Hyper Astalos by completing a few easy 6-star Hyper quests.
Nah, it was hyper G Shogun Ceanataur. I unlocked him already, though, thanks! Seems you don't have to do village Teostra like in Generations for it anymore, just the Pokke granny's quest line and actually fighting HR hyper Shogun ceanataur.

Luu, I also recommend just spending time solo in village to get used to movement/positioning with the weapon you chose. If you still feel like you're struggling, try a different weapon. Which weapon are you using, btw?

luulubuu

Nah, it was hyper G Shogun Ceanataur. I unlocked him already, though, thanks! Seems you don't have to do village Teostra like in Generations for it anymore, just the Pokke granny's quest line and actually fighting HR hyper Shogun ceanataur.

Luu, I also recommend just spending time solo in village to get used to movement/positioning with the weapon you chose. If you still feel like you're struggling, try a different weapon. Which weapon are you using, btw?

Long sword, but I think is not my thing, I like to move and be a beast, and this is more about momentum

Long sword, but I think is not my thing, I like to move and be a beast, and this is more about momentum
Maybe try dual blades if you like being up close and personal. You basically go ham with them. Be the speedy beast of your dreams! Sword and shield also requires you to get in their face, and has basic guard capabilities, but it's not as fast as dual blades.

I'm not a big fan of long sword, personally.

nick_b

If you're screwing up and dying I'd recommend doing village stuff as well. (Though I think 70-80 hours without ever having played online is kind of extreme, lol.) Watch Gaijinhunter's tutorial video for whatever weapon you're using if you don't understand the moveset.

I mainly play single player games. I wanted to get through solo before trying multi and didn't think it would take as long as it has. Weirdly anxious about playing online for some reason. I need to work on that.

I mainly play single player games. I wanted to get through solo before trying multi and didn't think it would take as long as it has. Weirdly anxious about playing online for some reason. I need to work on that.
Luckily, most people that play MH aren't total shit at being people. Any anxiety you may have about playing with others might disappear after a while.

Some people kind of show their dumb side with personalized text, though.

Also:

Don't attack monsters that are being mounted by another player, as it will knock it down, ending the mount (you can attack it in Generations/XX, though).

Always tap a room you might wanna join to see what it entails. Hunting specific monsters, doing certain types of quests, etc. People sometimes change the name to reflect the room's purpose (turns, monster, etc) and add more specifics on the other pages.

Really, a lot of people don't talk much, so you might get lucky and have a super relaxed room.

PKrockin

Holy shit I wasn't even close. My memory sucks. lol

Yeah don't worry too much about arcane online etiquette or everyone being a douchebag. The community is far less cancerous than most other games I've played. Most of the time the people who get all pissy at a failed quest or at a party member not being up to their standards are concentrated at level 140 Apex Rajang grinding rooms and other top level hunts.

The etiquette is pretty common sense. Don't join a room labeled Rathalos Farm and post some other monster quest, don't join some HR200 room where they're doing quests you won't be able to join because of your low HR, wait your turn in "turns" rooms, and especially don't jump in some random room and immediately beg everyone to help do your urgent--make your own room or wait your turn.

Sometimes I enter a room marked for farming a certain monster only to see some random quest on the board. In that case I just ask if they're doing turns now. Sometimes what happens is everyone in the room gets all the parts they needed from the monster they were farming, and instead of leaving they stay in and start doing turns because they like the team or whatever. The host often forgets to update the room description to reflect that.

Was watching one of my favorite streamers play XX earlier, when I joined 2 other hunters in the chat. They helped me clear my urgent Lao, G3 keys and urgent so now I'm G4. Plus fought my first
Atoraru Ka
and it was actually really fun! I'm really thankful for those 2 and hope I can repay the favor some day.

Now to farm a bunch of stuff!

Estoc

Not very cool

Sounds like they were power leveling you? ie Fast-tracking you to the endgame to play with them, also getting you good gears later down the line so you can solo easier.

There's pro and con to that, namely that you might find it hard to learn when the lower rank quests posed no risk, or worse, less incentive to continue playing because you're either overpower in quests meant to teach you the game or underpower in quests that expect you to know what you're doing. Funny enough however, that's how I started on MH, my friends fast-tracked me to the endgame.

Let your friends know you would rather learn at your own pace if it's ruining your fun, I always ask if my friends want to be fast-tracked or just need my help to farm some reasonable gears for their level so they can progress at a slightly faster pace(but not too fast).

As for your control problem, if you want tighter camera control(especially if you're gunner, I guess), pro controller definitely helps, but personally, I've just stuck with joycons in that grip thing and I'm fine so far.

If you can be more specific about your weapon and weapon style, I'll try to provide some control help, but I don't really want to type up for each and every weapon in one post. I don't use any English guides, so I have no links to offer.

As for your "momentum" weapon, dual blades are definitely it, though insect glaive is also a good choice.

Hybris

I ended up helping xenoblade in discord with some high rank keys. Btw you guys should hop in discord if you aren't already in it, it will make communicating between hunts less painful

Juraash

I need to remember right actually open discord. I've been on that channel for a while and used to use it quite often. Haven't messed with it much since XX came out though.

Juraash

So if anyone is like me and spending Friday night playing this, I'll be watching the thread.

Hoping to play lots of G-Rank now that it's the weekend.

nick_b

Still getting my bearings on dealing with the language barrier. Played 3 or 4 missions in this before switching over to mh4u. Grinding out an armor set in the latter. I don't know how people advance so quickly. I seem to take forever advancing through quest levels. Albeit it is my first MH(mh4u). Do people generally skip gather quests and such? I like to complete every quest. I need them boxes checked!

Juraash

Still getting my bearings on dealing with the language barrier. Played 3 or 4 missions in this before switching over to mh4u. Grinding out an armor set in the latter. I don't know how people advance so quickly. I seem to take forever advancing through quest levels. Albeit it is my first MH(mh4u). Do people generally skip gather quests and such? I like to complete every quest. I need them boxes checked!

Once you have hundreds of hours with these games it's easy to skip over things. Lots of us will just target key quests at least until we get to where monster we want to farm are. 4U wasn't my first, but I was super completionist with it because either enjoyed it. In XX I was looking to fast track past the Generations stuff as fast as possible since I since I couldn't transfer my character.

So yeah, vets skip lots of stuff at least at the outset. We'll target key quests or ones that unlock specific food or w/e. I'll usually double back and complete stuff after I'm at a point I'm happy with.

You guys playing? I'm up for some hunts. My internet's been awful the past two days so I've stayed away, but I'm itching to hunt.

Juraash

You guys playing? I'm up for some hunts. My internet's been awful the past two days so I've stayed away, but I'm itching to hunt.

I've just been messing around since it's been pretty quiet. But I'm definitely down for some hunts.

G-Rank turns

Room: 40-8666-5595-6977
PW: 4785

Deband

How difficult would it be to play the game if you've played several in the series, but don't read any Japanese?

Tbh that sounds like most of us. You can just plug away looking up guides and learning as you go. I was on the fence at first but this is so good on switch, you'll love it.

Top Bottom