• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve likes the Wii, not so much the PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

element

Moderation Unlimited said:
Half Life 2 is great and all, but it sounds like bitter PC developer tears. They just can't seem to be able to wrap their head around CELL (assymetrical processing). I don't hear the final fantasy team, Kojima's team, Insomniac, or Naughty Dog bitching about the PS3's architecture (although I'm sure it's frustrating to work with initially). Back in the day upsetting PC developers was no big deal because they didn't really have any leverage in the console market. I think that's beginning to change, though. And Sony angering guys like these just isn't scoring them any points, regardless if he's being a pansy or not.
the hardware is one thing, but the support is another. Sony has been just flat out stupid in their support. If you are going to make such complex hardware then provide tools so developer can take advantage of it. Sony pretty much has just given devs a box and said 'go make something because we own the market, and good luck...'
In terms of dev support and tools, they are light years behind Microsoft.

tHoMNZ said:
Valve is in the business of making great games, not filling a blueray disk up with fmv :D

ok that was flame bait, sorry :x

I know you're kidding around, but there is a distinct difference between the 2 cultures. PC devs and console devs are 2 different breeds. Not just from a platform standpoint, but also, traditionally, from a genre standpoint. PC games have mostly been FPS, strategy games, MMORPGs, flight sims, racing sims, etc. Console games traditionally have been much more expansive but have favored action adventure games, platformers, arcade style games (racers, brawlers, fighters, and flight games), story-driven games, (action) RPGs, Sports games, etc.

That being said the real difference is that PC hardware has traditionally been more developer friendly and flexible, while the console environment more trying. Learing the ins and outs of embedded proprietary hardware has its pros (extract most out of closed environment) and cons (frustrating to work with limitations).

Gek54 said:
"Gameinformer:What about the PS3?

Gabe Newell: The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted. I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a "do over". Just say, "This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it". The happy story is the Wii. I'm betting that by Christmas of next year, the Wii has a larger installed base than the 360. Other people think I'm crazy. I really like everthing that Nintendo is doing. "

How about he makes a game that doesn't make me nauscious.

element said:
the hardware is one thing, but the support is another. Sony has been just flat out stupid in their support. If you are going to make such complex hardware then provide tools so developer can take advantage of it. Sony pretty much has just given devs a box and said 'go make something because we own the market, and good luck...'
In terms of dev support and tools, they are light years behind Microsoft.

Agreed. Sony sucks in that department. I have a question, though.

There tools are obviously not as good as Microsofts, but would you say that their is a language/culture barrier in their support department? Or is it that they are neglectful?

I'm calling bullshit. There has yet to be a link and I cannot see a grown man speaking in an interview the way a 12 year old does on a forum.

jman2050

MickeyKnox said:
I'm calling bullshit. There has yet to be a link and I cannot see a grown man speaking in an interview the way a 12 year old does on a forum.

Yeah, I'm starting to lean that way too.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Stop trying to bring the thread back on topic. The discussion has morphed into something... surreal. Let it continue to its inevitably tragic end.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
MickeyKnox said:

Yea, I couldn't find a link to a thing either. Funny though.

element

Agreed. Sony sucks in that department. I have a question, though.

There tools are obviously not as good as Microsofts, but would you say that their is a language/culture barrier in their support department? Or is it that they are neglectful?
Sony doesn't know what Sony is doing. At Microsoft, you go to one building and everything from hardware to software is in one building. Every decision, every tool that is made is developed under one roof.
I think Sony is trying because MS has really put the pressure on them, but Sony isn't a software company, so they in a certain way don't get it. I think language and culture has some minor points to it as well, but nothing that couldn't be taken care of with good direction and planning.

Amir0x said:
That was not 360's first E3. 360's FIRST E3... was horrific. I mean nothing can match $600 DOLLARSUUU!!!11, but it was pretty damn bad. That was right when people's dreams were shattered about what next-gen was really gonna be like.

People's dreams were shattered when they realized next-gen was to be a PC wrapped up in a different box and placed in their entertainment center. I wish console maker's stayed away from PC parts. It would have kept PC-type games where they belong...on the PC. Proprietary FTW!

C- Warrior said:
Sony should reply with equal directness.

Sony: "Dear Gabe, you're fat as ****, lose weight, and try to start over so that you can convince people you'll live past the age of 50."

Are you stupid or what?
I agree with him, and there´s nothing bad about it. People citicised Nintendo for over 10 years, now Sony made many major mistakes and people criticise that.
Offending a person on a personal level because of his opinion is just poor.

BigBoss

Kevtones said:
I'm too drunk to feel feelings but somehow sober enough to realize your post is retarded

I didn't know they let Nintendo fans drink, I mean you guys are raving lunatics sober, I can only imagine how batshit insane you guys must be when you're drunk. It does explain your post history though.

Yes, clearly your rather amateurish trolling left him in tears.

Well my "troll" comment did drive him to drink so it must've hit a nerve.

Zaptruder

Banned
Search string on the first 7 words in Gabe's response turned up nothing.

Not saying it's fake, but it's not been discussed openly on the internet, as you'd expect something so inflammatory to be.

I know you're kidding around, but there is a distinct difference between the 2 cultures. PC devs and console devs are 2 different breeds. Not just from a platform standpoint, but also, traditionally, from a genre standpoint. PC games have mostly been FPS, strategy games, MMORPGs, flight sims, racing sims, etc. Console games traditionally have been much more expansive but have favored action adventure games, platformers, arcade style games (racers, brawlers, fighters, and flight games), story-driven games, (action) RPGs, Sports games, etc.

That being said the real difference is that PC hardware has traditionally been more developer friendly and flexible, while the console environment more trying. Learing the ins and outs of embedded proprietary hardware has its pros (extract most out of closed environment) and cons (frustrating to work with limitations).
I wasn't going to say anything, but I'm being kept awake by how wrong-headed you are in a lot of your posts. Maybe you should go back to lurking for a while or something. Read some articles on arstechnica too please. I'm too tired to point by point, and I don't want to be mean, but wow. Just wow.

Sleep now.

teiresias

Newell's hatred and discontent with multicore programming is well documented, in fact there's been more than one topic on this very forum concerning interview's he's given where he's expressed his dislike of multicore-based systems and platforms.

So, him liking the Wii - essentially a previous generation, single core system - over the PS3 and the 360, is not unexpected.

Enough has been made about his weight, but I just have to say, if you're content giving interviews and having your picture taken for said interviews with food stains all over your XXXL polo you sort of ask for the snide remarks in regard to your weight.

Some of you don't like what he says so you go straight to the personal attacks? That's just sad. I'm curious, how will some of you bash Carmack given that he's of a like mind, I guess since he has stated his frustrations developing for multi-core processors, the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 more kindly, and he isn't overweight the responses won't be as harsh?

I think it's refreshing to hear someone's honest opinions, like the drunken Jaffe interview, in an era of so much spin doctoring, smoke and mirrors. He said what he thought, no need to hit below the belt.

Some of you mentioned VALVe potentially making a game for the Wii, to which I can only point out the hamstrung Xbox port of Half-Life 2 and the fact that the Wii ain't much more powerful than the Xbox...soooo I wouldn't hold my breath for Team Fortress 2 or Portal for the Wii. Or rather I wouldn't hold my breath for quality ports.

Great PC dev, but they've yet to prove themselves in the console arena.

squicken

Normally I trust people who say they've got the latest issue of whatever mag. However, with the recent rash of people creating fake stories to "pwn the intratubes", I'll hold out until more people start confirming this.

And I'm not disparaging gek; merely questioning the original poster on TXB.

good thing you're not gonna make any games for what you think is gonna be the market leader gabe.

you could've (and still can), have the genre all to yourself on Wii.

maybe if i make another thread about it, he'll do it :lol

bmf said:
I wasn't going to say anything, but I'm being kept awake by how wrong-headed you are in a lot of your posts. Maybe you should go back to lurking for a while or something. Read some articles on arstechnica too please. I'm too tired to point by point, and I don't want to be mean, but wow. Just wow.

Sleep now.

Now that's just silly. The only part I would say that worth being contested of what I said is how easy it is for PC devs. I understand its hard working with the lowest common denominator in mind and that your game has to scale for many different configurations of hardware. But the programming environment has traditionally been more robust. What's not obvious about that?

Oh, and I read arstechnica all the time.

Edit: it's also funny that my post count is nearly twice yours. Who's the one that's lurking? ;)

WARCOCK

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Some of you mentioned VALVe potentially making a game for the Wii, to which I can only point out the hamstrung Xbox port of Half-life 2 and the fact that the Wii ain't much more powerful than that...soooo I wouldn't hold my breath for Team Fortress 2 or Portal for the Wii. Or rather I wouldn't hold my breath for quality ports.

Wait. Look at this!~

Half-life 2 runs on source.
TF2 runs on source.
Xbox can run a tweaked version of source for it.
Wii> or = Xbox
Wii can run TF2!

Take hdr out and what not, i really dont see why not. With proper tweaking im pretty sure wii can handle hl2 and mods.

I want a valve Wii game. It wouldn't suck like RS. For the record I think people underestimate PS3. Not that its gonna "win" but its gonna do better than people think IMO.

WARCOCK said:
Wait. Look at this!~

Half-life 2 runs on source.
TF2 runs on source.
Xbox can run a tweaked version of source for it. Poorly.
Wii> or = Xbox
Wii can run TF2!

Take hdr out and what not, i really dont see why not. With proper tweaking im pretty sure wii can handle hl2 and mods.

Fixed.

----

Banned
Half Life 2 is great and all, but it sounds like bitter PC developer tears. They just can't seem to be able to wrap their head around CELL (assymetrical processing). I don't hear the final fantasy team, Kojima's team, Insomniac, or Naughty Dog bitching about the PS3's architecture (although I'm sure it's frustrating to work with initially).
I also don't see any of those companies getting their games out on 3 platforms simultaneously. All of those companies you just listed pour all of their resources into the PS3 version and don't have to worry about being able to get the game running on PC/360. Some developers have accused Sony of intentionally designing the CELL so that developers would not be able to port games easily and would end up spending their whole budget on the PS3 version.

I'll just say this and leave it be...

Being excited about something that may only be on par with the Xbox port of Half-Life 2 is like being hyped about the Playstation 2 version of a Splinter Cell.

Forsete

Oh Gabe.. You really dont like multithreading do you?
I remember him bitching about Xenon and CELL from day one. :lol

MutFox

Banned
jaundicejuice said:

Being excited about something that may only be on par with the Xbox port of Half-Life 2 is like being hyped about the Playstation 2 version of a Splinter Cell.

Next Gen control for FPS over dual analog.
It'll play more like the PC version than all of those ports, just because of the control.

Demigod Mac

jaundicejuice said:

Wiiskulls are impermeable to logic. After all, they're also excited about Maple Story on DS.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Is this confirmed to be true? I find it strange cos I have a yet unpublished interview with him here and he didn't bash the PS3 when given the opportunity.

BigBoss

TTP said:
Is this confirmed to be true? I find it strange cos I have a yet unpublished interview with me here and he didn't bash the PS3 at all when given the opportunity.

Hasn't been confirmed yet.

seat

I find the lack of bannings in this thread to be... disturbing.

Demigod Mac said:
Wiiskulls are impermeable to logic. After all, they're also excited about Maple Story on DS.

Wiiskulls. Is that the best you can come up with?

Demigod Mac

You do realize that Macs are Intel-based and can run Windows and all games (including Source Engine) at full speed?

Whoops.

I just blitzkrieged your posts.

Here, have some laughing emoticons.

:lol :lol :lol

WARCOCK

Banned
Can you pull 250 fps in CSS like my core 2 6700, 7900 gt?

I THINK NOT!
TALK TO THE HAND WHILE I SLIDE PAST YOUR BULLETS MATRIX STYLE!

Borys

Banned
I can't believe he said "PC gamers! Upgrade :)lol) to Macs!", I just ****ing can't.

Either this is fake or Gabe has been on a steady crack diet.

Borys

Banned
imastalker co. said:
sounds like gabe realized that when it comes to computers.... operating system > games

I mean I would believe it more if he said "PC gamers! If you want to enjoy Half-Life 3 the way it's meant to be played buy a 360!" but... Macs?

It's so un... un... unGabe like.

Demigod Mac

WARCOCK said:
Can you pull 250 fps in CSS like my core 2 6700, 7900 gt?

I THINK NOT!
TALK TO THE HAND WHILE I SLIDE PAST YOUR BULLETS MATRIX STYLE!

Oh dear. I've demonstrated that you are utterly wrong, and now you start spinning like a top. Performance? You were doubting that Mac hardware could run Source in the first place.

http://www.cabel.name/2006/04/boot-camp-first-look-half-life-2-video.html

Having fun with source on that mac of yours?

Your words, 'WARCOCK'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom