• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoichi Wada: Final Fantasy Versus XIII not cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

Of course, but I just don't think that it would be a big blow to the game if it doesn't release before then. I honestly don't think that it'll release before the 2013 holiday season (which is when the PS4 and next Xbox should hit). That's largely because there are lots of signs that Square is going to do a FFXIII-3, and that would likely end up coming out in the early-mid part of 2013. So, that would only leave the holiday slot open for Versus since they wouldn't want to release the games too close together.
It would be amazing if they manage to churn out 3 FFXIII games before finishing Versus.

Peff

Huh, do people still think it's exclusive after it went from this:

PFjyH.jpg

to this?

IkBsx.jpg

Considering the same exact thing happened with FFXIII...

SgtCobra

Every year.
Every year people speculate about it coming to the 360, wait for the E3, wait for TGS, wait for Gamescom, wait for (insert FF conference). When will this finally happen? :p
Not that I really care (as long as it doesn't affect the initial development of the game) as I could still play it on my 360 if my PS3 dies haha

Ontopic: never doubted Kagari, the article was labeled "Rumor" for a reason.

It would be amazing if they manage to churn out 3 FFXIII games before finishing Versus.

My guess it that it's what Nomura was talking about when he said that there was something unrelated to the game that was preventing him from talking about it. If they're making another XIII, then they're going to want to focus their attention and marketing on it. Showing Versus would be bad for that game because it's highly unlikely that it's going to be as ambitious or look as good as Versus.

Zanasea

These things don't come from nowhere.

I'm afraid they sometimes do. Like that stupid "Versus turned into FFXV" rumour a while ago. Even that FFXV rumour the day before the Versus one. Sometimes it really is people looking for attention and basing their forgery on some truth. Here, the truth is: they announced Versus too early and, 6 years later, we are all waiting to finally hear more, and they are still quiet.

But does it necessarily mean Versus is cancelled?

No.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Hey everyone,

No one is more frustrated by a story being wrong on Kotaku than those of us who work at Kotaku. There's no long-term positive for us if we present a long story cited to anonymous sources that then is refuted by the CEO of the company whose game we wrote about.

I'm frustrated that, after giving Square-Enix three days to comment, they couldn't provide an answer as clear as the one their CEO did on Twitter today. If we thought our sources had burned us and lied to us, we just might out them, but that's not the case here. What is the case is that this situation always was murky and the details of our story explain that. Some questions about the condition and status of this game remain, obviously. For all we know, it still has been transformed into something other than what was initially announced.

At the end of the day, of course, we want you to be able to read a Kotaku story and trust that the reporting is accurate. We want any rumor we run to turn out to be true. In this case we tried for several days to get better details and official confirmation. We didn't start this from nothing. We started this from some talk from sources who have an inside track. We will continue to pursue these kinds of stories.

If you see doubt expressed within one of our rumor stories, then you can assume the story may turn out to be off in some way. It is on us to be clear about how things might be wrong. And, as in some other anonymously-sourced stories (as in most of our next-gen hardware stories), the lack of many or any qualifications should signal to you about how much more confident we are in those.

We won't always get everything right. But we will continue to be clear as can be about what we know and what we don't know.

Thanks for keeping up with our site and taking the work we do seriously.

I'm afraid they sometimes do. Like that stupid "Versus turned into FFXV" rumour a while ago. Even that FFXV rumour the day before the Versus one. Sometimes it really is people looking for attention and basing their forgery on some truth. Here, the truth is: they announced Versus too early and, 6 years later, we are all waiting to finally hear more, and they are still quiet.

But does it necessarily mean Versus is cancelled?

No.

Put it this way; Kotaku posts a lot of weird shit in terms of their gaming culture stuff, but are made up of a fairly large team with some very experienced faces. They got behind that story pretty hard, so they really believed it. That'd lead me to think their source is someone who has to have some sort of inside track, even if they ultimately got it wrong. That's me inferring, but any source I'd trust as much as Kotaku has here is one who has, even when wrong, been partially right for me in the past. That's something we'll never know. Only Kotaku knows who their source is.

EDIT: Hey Stephen. Very big of you to show up here; good man.

You guys need to get over yourselves.
Do people never post rumours on GAF?
Do people not love discussing the rumours that Kotaku posts?
Do people not appreciate that they actually got some fucking news out of Wada on the subject?
Your behaviour is pathetic... ban Kotaku? Ban yourselves for talking about it, then.

I couldn't agree more.

"Can we get Kotaku banned?!?!"
Thread about 'fake gamer girl picture' from Kotaku stays on front page of NeoGAF for half the day.

I think it's fine. The whole point of GAF is for discussion, if you don't like it, DON'T GO IN THE THREAD ... why is that so hard? I mean, it says Kotaku right there ... it's usually the first word! There's a ton of threads on the front page I have absolutely no interest in ... so I don't go to them. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I don't go in a thread on a subject I don't want to read.

I personally think "can we ban _____" and "is this thread newsworthy?" posts should not be acceptable.

My take on the rumor: I'm glad they posted it and I'm glad IGN posted something about it, got SE to actually say ANYTHING about the game at all.

Hex

Banned
Awww you mean all of the drama whores have to find somewhere else to pin their hopes?
I also think some people seriously own Kagari some love.

I think the talk of banning kotaku is dumb though imo.
Do not blame them for being suckers and not looking for more evidence before getting stupid.

sublimit

Banned
There's this odd idea that Kotaku is somehow desperate for hits. Kotaku is ranked 2,248 on Alexa. Think about that. Let it really sink in.

If you don't like them, don't visit; they'll be fine I'm sure. But cut this "Made it up for hits!!" garbage. Kotaku hasn't been at a point where they'd need to do that in years.

Wow.Are you fucking kidding me?have you heard of a thing called greed?
No matter how many hits they have they are never enough.The foundation of their site has been built on fake rumours like these and on trolling articles.They would have been stupid to change now,it's what their "fans" expect from them.

And since it works for them they will continue spreading fake rumours about "hot" topics.

Hey everyone,

No one is more frustrated by a story being wrong on Kotaku than those of us who work at Kotaku. There's no long-term positive for us if we present a long story cited to anonymous sources that then is refuted by the CEO of the company whose game we wrote about.

I'm frustrated that, after giving Square-Enix three days to comment, they couldn't provide an answer as clear as the one their CEO did on Twitter today. If we thought our sources had burned us and lied to us, we just might out them, but that's not the case here. What is the case is that this situation always was murky and the details of our story explain that. Some questions about the condition and status of this game remain, obviously. For all we know, it still has been transformed into something other than what was initially announced.

At the end of the day, of course, we want you to be able to read a Kotaku story and trust that the reporting is accurate. We want any rumor we run to turn out to be true. In this case we tried for several days to get better details and official confirmation. We didn't start this from nothing. We started this from some talk from sources who have an inside track. We will continue to pursue these kinds of stories.

If you see doubt expressed within one of our rumor stories, then you can assume the story may turn out to be off in some way. It is on us to be clear about how things might be wrong. And, as in some other anonymously-sourced stories (as in most of our next-gen hardware stories), the lack of many or any qualifications should signal to you about how much more confident we are in those.

We won't always get everything right. But we will continue to be clear as can be about what we know and what we don't know.

Thanks for keeping up with our site and taking the work we do seriously.

I personally still think there is truth to it. I know many here completely doubt the FFXIII VS turned into XV, but that's where my train of thought is even if that one rumor was proven to be fake.

You labeled it rumor, I didn't see a problem with the story personally.

No matter how many hits they have they are never enough.The foundation of their site has been built on fake rumours like these and on trolling articles.They would have been stupid to change now,it's what their "fans" expect from them.

And since it works for them they will continue spreading fake rumours about "hot" topics.

Fake rumors and trolling? That's pretty ridiculous. It says RUMOR in the title. They heard a rumor, they posted it. I honestly think certain members of GAF are the ones overreacting here.

PFjyH.jpg

to this?

IkBsx.jpg

Not sure what your point is. All of SE's exclusive games end with those same words. Are they also going to be ported? If Versus has been decided for 360, then the trailer should have read "for ps3 and xbox 360", just like the FFXIII-2 trailer.

Famassu

PFjyH.jpg

to this?

IkBsx.jpg

Well, considering FFXII & FFXIII-2 had trouble fitting on a DVD (and XIII had to be on three), a game of the scope of FFXII & freedom (probably even bigger & more free) but with HD assets would probably have a hard time fitting on one DVD and I'm not sure if even having the game on multiple discs could fix that (that'd probably be almost like having Fallout New Vegas on multiple discs). I see Versus XIII being like MGS4. They've said it enough times that it's a PS3 exclusive that they don't have to announce it every time someone whispers of their bitter hopes & dreams that it'd come to other platforms and it's pointless to speculate it ever appearing on Xbox 360. If it does get released as a multiplatform, then it will, but I wouldn't say it's all "of course it's going to be released on Xbox 360, that's a given".

Hex

Banned
SO now that people lost their golden ticket we are going to shit things up and go stretching with the multi platform bit? Really?

SO now that drama whores lost their golden ticket we are going to shit things up and go stretching with the multi platform bit? Really?

Why are people considered drama whores because they want more information on a game that they are anticipating?

I replied to this from you a page ago, but I just think this attitude is downright childish.

Either way, nice to see this thread is now going to devolve into disc-size, multiplatform bullshit. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a debate as to if Versus needs multiplatform to be really properly viable in a sales term after such long development - a very valid question - but it's just the usual mud slinging. Never change, GAF. Can't even take good news well!

SO now that drama whores lost their golden ticket we are going to shit things up and go stretching with the multi platform bit? Really?

Just stop contributing if baiting others by calling them "drama whores" is all you have to offer, seriously.

sublimit

Banned
I read the wrong quote, I changed it up above.

That's one possibility (of that being a genuine rumor).

The other possibility is they made up the rumor themselves.They took a risk but they also generated hundreds of thousands hits.And since this is kotaku it was a risk worth taking for them.They could have easily got both without having any real sources at all.They gambled the hits on the expense of their credibility as a site (if they have any).

Personally i believe it's the second.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
One thing for sure is now that they have a "confirmation" that the game isnt shitcanned, they got "ammunition" to use in the event if its not shown off at TGS to create more hit grabbing stories about how Square Enix didnt step up, etc. You get the picture.

Truthfully I personally wouldnt have cared as much about this, if they didnt try to pull this BS a month and a half before the TGS. Seriously wait and see, its not that long away. Not to mention would have made more sense asking the question AFTER the show not before. I mean seriously did you expect a company to go and announce a potential "surprise" before the show?

The whole timing of this rumor smells and its not of roses.

ryan13ts

Hearing this from Wada really doesn't inspire me with confidence. How many times has a developer come out and said "Our game isn't cancelled!", then turn around a few months later and say "Uh yeah, it's cancelled.". Companies do the whole damage control thing all the time, even if what they're working on is cancelled. I can't even think of a game that was rumored to be canned, and a company just came right out and confmed it. Doing things like that KILLS stock in their company and causes other finanical problems... It's likely the same reason Square-Enix isn't gonna come out and say it's canned right away, even if it is.

With that said, I really hope it isn't canned. I've been looking foward to this game since it was announced, and it would be a complete shame for it to die after all the time and work the staff has put into it. However, I'm not going to be surprised in the least if it ends up being true, given the game's troubled development.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Why are people considered drama whores because they want more information on a game that they are anticipating?

Ignoring the drama whore comment, I would also question why it is "stretching" to say it might go multi-platform, SE did exactly that with FF13 when many said it wouldn't happen, then came the MS E3 conference and it was announced as a multi-platform game.

We are just using SE's history as a reference for what might happen, there is nothing implausible about FFvs13 going multi-platform.
Not even sure why it is a big deal if it went multi-platform at this point, it isn't like we are seemingly going to get to play it soon regardless of what is happening behind the scenes.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Called for it in the last thread as well, but glad the kotaku ban is being called for. Extreme yes, but these no proof rumors from them are awful. Might as well cite myself as a news source and make threads.

Also TGS GET READY.

Ignoring the drama whore comment, I would also question why it is "stretching" to say it might go multi-platform, SE did exactly that with FF13 when many said it wouldn't happen, then came the MS E3 conference and it was announced as a multi-platform game.

We are just using SE's history as a reference for what might happen, there is nothing implausible about FFvs13 going multi-platform.
Not even sure why it is a big deal if it went multi-platform at this point, it isn't like we are seemingly going to get to play it soon regardless of what is happening behind the scenes.

I think Kagari actually banned the multiplatform discussion from previous threads because as of now it is exclusive. Plus the discussion just ends up being the exact same thing every time.

Frankly his confirmation that the game isn't cancelled (and check out those cities!!) means little if no information is released anytime soon. I mean sure, yay it's still being worked on, but in the meantime the game still has no release date after 6 years?

All I can say is that in 2050 when the game finally comes out, It better be the baddest MF'er ever released or people will riot.
not really SE will just look (more) incompetent

Only at Square-Enix could you show someone a presentation and a "city" after 6 years and have it considered smooth sailing

I thought Japan was different from the US in that they announced launch dates closer to launch.

Hasn't it basically been confirmed the unannounced FFXIII-3 is coming before Verses

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I thought Japan was different from the US in that they announced launch dates closer to launch.

Where did you get that idea? Honest question. Since its not the usual case.

This country does not generally play it fast and loose with business practice, which includes general announcements of products and such. So they like to have everything set in place proper before doing announcements of actual release dates.

---

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding the comment about the meeting on a "city". Since the most obvious thought would be that IF now IF the game / something will be shown at the TGS, this is an early showing of what will be put on display to the public to the President of the company. With the whole timing of the situation it would make sense. Now if this was a comment where no game show was on the horizon then yeah sure feel free to run with whatever crazy thoughts your mind might concoct. No idea too if they will be showing anything at Gamescom next month. Or if they are saving it just for the TGS.

Now this is no means meant to be taken as "gospel" but more just how Im looking at the quote mentioned and what it can potentially be seen as. If they actually have anything to show at the August / Sep game shows is anyones guess. But lets try to put a bit more thought into things before freaking out.

Jarmel

Banned
Where did you get that idea? Honest question. Since its not the usual case.

This country does not generally play it fast and loose with business practice, which includes general announcements of products and such. So they like to have everything set in place proper before doing announcements of actual release dates.

Square announced the Dec. release date for 13 at TGS.

Pretty much. I find it funny that discussion about such things is "banworthy" or that even a site is "banworthy" when they clearly label it as a rumor. GAF users have a choice to go into a Kotaku thread. I think it's funny that their willpower is so low that they MUST click the 1 or 2 threads with Kotaku in it and bitch.

I personally sold my PS3 because I don't believe this game is coming out for it, and if it does I will be able to play it on another system. (also partly because it was dying and I might pick another one up after a redesign and price drop). But I have no faith in SE to get this game to the PS3. It's partially because of rumors but also because of some of the things that come directly out their mouths such as the "HD towns" comment.

I hope like most, but I just can't get my hopes up as high as most. I will gladly eat crow when it comes out this/next year and only for the PS3, but I'm not holding my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom