• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online |OT| Come on in, the sand's fine [Mediah Update]

mkenyon

Banned
I mean I don't want a "dress up game", whatever that is, but the amount of customization it offers compared to other games is sort of laughable to me. Especially in a sandbox game where I want to be immersed in the world and able to stand out from others. Gotta give them props for the actual character customization though.
Most of that is a combination of the aforementioned costume stuff as well as the extremely extensive dye system. Every little bit of armor/costumes can be dyed.

Ashodin

I mean I don't want a "dress up game", whatever that is, but the amount of customization it offers compared to other games is sort of laughable to me. Especially in a sandbox game where I want to be immersed in the world and able to stand out from others. Gotta give them props for the actual character customization though.
Have you read the earlier post on gear? There's several ways you can customize.

Fucking hate working on days that games come out. Now im gonna be like........

8QkXSNO.gif

....all day tomorrow while at work.

Dead

well not really...yet
Feel like there is an infinite amount of trade quests. It never ends and I never get bored of doing anything in this game.

Also got my first Donkey, meet Gorgonozola:

pCvbpfz.jpg

False, unless your idea of content is FFXIV/WoW style dungeons and raids. This game is a sandbox MMORPG, and puts a big emphasis on world/social aspects. Fighting world bosses, taking on tough enemies, exploring, doing quests, PvP, the various crafting, simulation, housing, etc systems, nodes, guild activities. Think of it more like Minecraft or an Elder Scrolls game and less like World of Warcraft.

Go watch this video that was linked earlier:
Will do! Are there hidden collectibles in the world such as chests and stuff when exploring?

Also, does the game have achievement system?

Some games have open world pvp but even around rare resource grinding spots you won't find anyone up for a fight, do people actually do a good amount of fighting?

Kalentan

Feel like there is an infinite amount of trade quests. It never ends and I never get bored of doing anything in this game.

Also got my first Donkey, meet Gorgonozola:

pCvbpfz.jpg

Your character looks like she isn't sure what to think... Like she got a gift she wants to return but isn't sure. XD

So is this game worth it if you can maybe play it an hour a day? No subscription is nice, but would it even be worthwhile to pursue trading with that little time or can the players who have more time claim all Trade-routes and shops and you have nothing to show for?

Ashodin

so its officially out? Dont know if I want to start another MMO, i put like 80 hours into GW2 in a week and a half lol.

Not until Thursday, these few days before are Early Access Pre-order gates.

So is this game worth it if you can maybe play it an hour a day? No subscription is nice, but would it even be worthwhile to pursue trading with that little time or can the players who have more time claim all Trade-routes and shops and you have nothing to show for?

YES. No one can "claim trade routes", they can claim nodes, but it only helps them better. You still get the same rates.

Veldin

Can everything in the game be obtained with in game currency

The short answer is no, but whether or not that's problem depends on what's important to you. The majority of the appearance related items(consumable dyes, costumes/armor sets, accessories, underwear) are restricted to the cash shop. There's some exclusive furniture. As far as I know you can't get pets without spending real money either, and they're useful for automatically looting drops.

Astery

The short answer is no, but whether or not that's problem depends on what's important to you. The majority of the appearance related items(consumable dyes, costumes/armor sets, accessories, underwear) are restricted to the cash shop. There's some exclusive furniture. As far as I know you can't get pets without spending real money either, and they're useful for automatically looting drops.

huh I wonder what's the point for the players on the game being buy to play in this version. Last I played on Jp version, most items from the item malls can be auctioned off using in game currency. And it's free to play.

Dead

well not really...yet
question

Does Conqueror's package unlock an exclusive costume for all classes or do you have to choose one?

Teknoman

Too bad they dont just let you download the client before adding an account. I'm off Wednesday and Thursday, so it would be great if I could've had everything downloaded and ready to go, even with a guest pass.

drotahorror

Does anyone know how much pets are in the ingame cash shop? Tryin to figure out if the $50 package is worth. Having a pet that can auto loot is pretty huge.

And thanks for the info @ Loginius. I guess I understand that there are expansions coming to keep people around. Hope they're free.

Teknoman

Speaking of, how does party combat work exp / loot wise? Or are there some enemies in the wild (not bosses) that are simply too strong to fight unless you have multiple people?

With the boat system, i'm sure there should be uncharted islands with stuff on them?

Ashodin

Does anyone know how much pets are in the ingame cash shop? Tryin to figure out if the $50 package is worth. Having a pet that can auto loot is pretty huge.

And thanks for the info @ Loginius. I guess I understand that there are expansions coming to keep people around. Hope they're free.

Looks like $15~ on release, I think.

Speaking of, how does party combat work exp / loot wise? Or are there some enemies in the wild (not bosses) that are simply too strong to fight unless you have multiple people?

With the boat system, i'm sure there should be uncharted islands with stuff on them?

1. Party EXP is lessened, but not by much. Secondly, most enemies can be solo'd (however there are some tough ones) so bringing a friend doesn't hurt.

2. Yes to islands, but they're "charted" as in they're on the map. You could potentially live on one of them if you wish.

So they're not the greatest PVP class or they're top tier? Or are you saying the greatsword turns them into a top tier PVP class?

Does every class get a weapon that changes their playstyle or something later on?

Hmm, this greatsword you mentioned is for something that won't be available in the west for who knows how long. The Awakening or some shit. Every class gets a new weapon.

This game seems pretty neutered in the west not gonna lie.

Content is going to come in through updates at the same rate that the KR version got them. So we're not getting less content than anyone else

Sectus

Will do! Are there hidden collectibles in the world such as chests and stuff when exploring?

Also, does the game have achievement system?

There's rare minerals tucked away in all kinds of places, and there's also big hidden caves scattered around the world which has a bunch of stuff in it.

There's a lot of titles to learn based on doing a ton of different stuff (the game doesn't tell you how to get them though). There's also a challenge system (reach level 10, reach level 20, reach apprentice gatherer, reach apprentice crafter, and goals like that) which gives you specific rewards. Those two systems are the closest you'll get to achievements.

Top Bottom