• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm noticing a lot of celebrities are advertising the Switch now

If they were being paid to do this, they'd be legally required to disclose that, right?

In the US yes, but apparently the penalty for not doing that seems to be incredibly minor according to some posts in this thread. So minor that it might not even be worth enforcing it? It would be interesting to hear from someone who deals with this type of marketing in the US.

This is one celebrity. Who are the others.

Scroll down from the OP, there's at least two more on that page.

If you have evidence that they were bought on ebay please provide it.
see how easy that is?

Fact is celebrities get free shit all the time. Because, again, it's free marketing.

Apparently according to a post several above yours he got his around launch, when they were actually not that hard to get. He could easily have paid an assistant to wait in line at launch if he didn't secure a preorder.

But as usual the burden of proof is on the person making a claim (in this case, you).

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
.. hmmmmm pretty sure I already said this basic idea in the very post you quoted.... You either read half my post and decided to chime in or you just didn't care after reading the whole thing. I think my point still stands that it is still a bit of a gimmick (how it goes into tv mode) and is a big part of their marketing and why people bought in to it early. I have always been on the closer to wii sales than not also

Already said it once but I'll say it again... it helps that it's their main console (console games) that goes portable easily, just wish the tv mode was done differently since the stand does nothing. Would be nice to just take a cord with me and plug it into any tv in a hotel eh?

Everythings a gimmick. The size, shape, color, features, product packaging. They're all gimmicks, literally every single feature of every single product you ever bought is a gimmick.

Its about how meaningful the gimmick is and how much value it adds. In the case of the Switch's hybrid nature and modularity, the answer is a fuckton of value.

spekkeh

Banned
Did you guys know Robin Williams was paid by Nintendo to name his daughter Zelda? He's a celeb so everything he did came at a cost. She's still living off the royalties that get handed to her in unmarked envelopes by Nintendo ninjas, to this day.

True story. Much more likely than the alternative. Lol pathetic people who believe otherwise.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Did you guys know Robin Williams was paid by Nintendo to name his daughter Zelda? He's a celeb so everything he did came at a cost. She's still living off the royalties that get handed to her in unmarked envelopes by Nintendo ninjas, to this day.

True story. Much more likely than the alternative. Lol pathetic people who believe otherwise.

Zelda Commercial

Blobbers

This thread is fascinating in that everyone is really sticking to their side yet everyone also realizes that it's a 50-50 shot these posts could be either legit or paid promotion. "I want to believe"

Personally, I'm #teamreal because I believe Andres Iniesta does not take this kinda undisclosed, under the table money

Budi

I wonder if the people here being certain all of these celeb tweets being paid ads. Also understand that their favorite Twitch/Youtuber isn't actually enjoying the game they are playing. They got it for free in promotional purposes. They aren't really having fun.

atr0cious

If you have evidence that they were bought on ebay please provide it.
see how easy that is?

Fact is celebrities get free shit all the time. Because, again, it's free marketing.
eBay isn't the only way to get a console. Especially for millionaires. Did you know you could get prime shipping while buying scalped consoles? And again, you're suggesting Nintendo is dumping money on folks who don't even mention Nintendo when they post. Why is it harder to believe the manager they call didn't just drop an extra hundred to get the system ASAP instead of signing a contract?

Daedardus

So he bought it off ebay? The Weeknd? One of the biggest current artists bought a scalped version on ebay?
giphy-downsized-large.gif

One call from his manager and he got one in the mail the next day. It's free marketing.

Or do you think half the Barcelona team also cleaned up ebay?

If I was super rich and I really wanted to test out curious thing #2865 that has been on the news lately, I wouldn't mind overpaying by $200 just to see what's new.

I feel like people are also forgetting there's some sort of reporting bias on a video game forum. Celebrities buy and show off lots of stuff all the time, but on this forum it feels like they are only showing of the Switch because guess what, that's what the people here focus on.

entremet

It is just a great console period for how people live in 2017.

Once you get that freedom to just pick up the console and take it with you it feels very limiting to go back to anything stuck to the tv.
Yep. I barely touch my PS4 anymore and it's a beast in terms of catalog.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Tons of celebrities are gamers. Doesn't mean they aren't getting paid or deals sharing gaming related things on their social media. Its literally a job or multiple jobs to run a popular social media accounts.

The Switch is barely in stock anywhere so where are all these celebrities getting their Switches? Are they giving in to scalpers or camping on forums like everyone else waiting for it to go back on stock? lol

Those celebrities are rich af. They can easily pay the scalpers if they want 😎

koss424

It's cutre seeing people deny these are paid promotions/PR campaign lol

You really believe that Nintendo is put together enough or modern enough to do that? I just have to pop on to any other Switch thread to see how they havent joined the modern gaming world yet.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I remember when a man once came up to me and offered me the chance to become a celebrity. I told him flat out, "No". He was puzzled that I turned down such a great opportunity and pondered why. I told him "and be forced to live a life where I can only like things based on whether a company pays me to like them and not on my own terms. That is not the life for me".

I pity these celebs who are being forced to like the Switch because of the Nintendo dollar when they'd clearly rather play Project Scorpio.

essenn

The Weeknd is a huge Nintendo fan

He was playing Smash Bros (N64), and Yoshi's Wooly World while recording his last album. He was playing Breath Of The Wild on tour too.

Seen a post on his instagram of a prototype Dualshock 4 (before it was officially revealed).

He's just a gamer, not everyone is being paid by Nintendo.

He was playing Smash Bros (N64), and Yoshi's Wooly World while recording his last album. He was playing Breath Of The Wild on tour too.

Seen a post on his instagram of a prototype Dualshock 4 (before it was officially revealed).

You are obviously paid by Nintendo to post this.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

He's paid by Nintendo to be a fan, and Nintendo stole a prototype Dualshock 4 shipped him that too

every celebrities , politicians, influencers, sports athletics are probably paid for and controlled by Nintendo.

Nanashrew

Banned
If I could choose to be either rich or famous, I'd choose to be rich and unknown so my life wouldn't constantly be seen as a walking ad space by some of ya'll.

atr0cious

This is a confusing sentiment.

I'm not going to play dumb, but what is to be gained by thwarting Nintendo's success?

A win for Nintendo on the big scale is a win for us all.
Console warriors defy logic. Also, Nintendo doing well means they don't go 3rd party and make great games for these warriors console of choice.

Aaron D.

Console warriors defy logic. Also, Nintendo doing well means they don't go 3rd party and make great games for these warriors console of choice.

That's a selfish take.

I'd hope that we all wish the success of all platforms with the ultimate goal of expanding the entire user base.

I get cheering for your team, but there comes a point where you're more interested in seeing the whole medium expand and mature.

That transcends whoever is in the lead.

That's a selfish take.

I'd hope that we all wish the success of all platforms with the ultimate goal of expanding the entire user base.

I get cheering for your team, but there comes a point where you're more interested in seeing the whole medium expand and mature.

That transcends whoever is in the lead.
Thats not how it work tho.

notaskwid

I believe this people love my console as much as I do and just want to share the love.
Because if I had 300000 followers I would do just the same.

jts

...hate me...
This is a confusing sentiment.

I'm not going to play dumb, but what is to be gained by thwarting Nintendo's success?

A win for Nintendo on the big scale is a win for us all.
You are aware of the Nintendo going 3rd party movement right?

Some because they still can't get over Sega, some because they feel entitled to Nintendo games on their PC, console, or smartphone of choice.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I could believe this is just paid (maybe some are) if I wouldn't have seen this Sony executive posting a picture of his Switch party last week

qko

Jon Cena was paid as all his posts had something like #ad.

Pretty sure I've heard that the FCC could fine a celebrity if they don't disclose paid posts.

To know who is sponsored and who isn't is still a difficult thing to know though.

Top Bottom