• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo wants to expand into health, learning, and other quality of life products

Marche90

Now we finally understand why Nintendo launched a game called Doctor Mario. It was an strategy to enter the Health field twenty-something years later!

ramuh

dr_mario2y5uvn.jpg

Lol! They should call their new gyms "The Mushroom Kingdom".

monlo

Maybe they will make an Android app to record my food, and have a console game that syncs to it, and e-binges out my lunch when I get home to lose weight.

One could hope.

Shengar

Wait EmCeeGramr
Is this a hint that they will bring back a favorite series of your? It must be it!
Is this just a ploy to discover immortality? Iwata will be CEO forever.
They already doing that with Yamauchi, deep in their new Kyoto HQ underground.

Can we get a title change to:

"Nintendo to release health related products in April 2015"

I think this goes beyond a "want" because they have a release schedule attached to it. Unbelievably it is a real product.

Wait so I don't really quite understand.

People have said Nintendo needed to diversify for years, Nintendo wants to diversify into health stuff, which has driven the Blue Ocean of Wii Fit and Wii Sports for some time, and using that experience they are going to create a "3rd pillar" that focuses on delivering specifically to that Blue Ocean audience.

How is this a bad thing. Now they are catering to 2 different audiences separately instead of ending up with the abomination like the WiiU which tried to forcefully appeal to both and the mixed messaging and the differing needs of both audiences were only partially met, leading to a flop.

Hell this may mean that we see less gimmick focused hardware anymore for their main consoles because they can gimmick up the other pillars as much as they want.

Am I just not reading this right or something?

Yeah, I guess Nintendo finally understood that there is no way for them to ever become successful in the home console market again. And the handheld market is shrinking.

So they need to find new markets, I just expected something else :D

MogCakes

Wait, so this is actually real, and that image above is an actual image used by Nintendo and not a joke picture.

Oh my god

JDeluis

I have trouble understanding what this is supposed to mean. Wii Fit U seemingly bombed, the only fitness thing left that's selling is Just Dance by Ubisoft on Wii, but it's starting to decline as well.

Is there a link to this info? It was just released retail in NA on January 10. No one believes that it was going to sell gangbusters. But I doubt we know if it bombed.

orioto

Good Art™
Wait so I don't really quite understand.

People have said Nintendo needed to diversify for years, Nintendo wants to diversify into health stuff, which has driven the Blue Ocean of Wii Fit and Wii Sports for some time, and using that experience they are going to create a "3rd pillar" that focuses on delivering specifically to that Blue Ocean audience.

How is this a bad thing. Now they are catering to 2 different audiences separately instead of ending up with the abomination like the WiiU which tried to forcefully appeal to both and the mixed messaging and the differing needs of both audiences were only partially met, leading to a flop.

Hell this may mean that we see less gimmick focused hardware anymore for their main consoles because they can gimmick up the other pillars as much as they want.

Am I just not reading this right or something?

If this is is it, that's good indeed. i've always been saying they should have made wii fit into a stand alone thing, and specialize in stand alone product like that separately from their consoles..

But the OP reads a little like 'ho videogames ? yeah that fad is over for us!"

Sandfox

Is this is saying stuff like taking the Wii fit and brain age away from console platforms to whatever else???...doesnt sound so bad.

Basically Nintendo is going to take those type of health related casual games they had in the previous gen and add them onto some innovative health related platform. Also, if you look at the question marks its going to have some sort of connectivity with their gaming devices.

If this is is it, that's good indeed. i've always been saying they should have made wii fit into a stand alone thing, and specialize in stand alone product like that separately from their consoles..

But the OP reads a little like 'ho videogames ? yeah that fad is over for us!"

The image that was posted above shows that they are going to co-exist.

ramuh

If that is the direction they think they should take, then more power to them. I would caution them to then keep it completely separated as any contamination with a Nintendo platform will probably only breed confusion. Should probably start a new company owned by Nintendo but separate. IMO the whole fitbit, nike fuel etc. train is already leaving.

Planet Fitness and Nintendo are delighted to announce Lunk Alarm U™!

Lunk Alarm U™ is a new non-wearable health device that plugs into your Wii U™ video game system. Whenever you grunt or curse or use the Wii Balance Board™ improperly during exercise, Lunk Alarm U™ will scold you with licensed Nintendo characters (voices provided by Charles Martinet, Charles Martinet, and Charles Martinet).

Lunk Alarm U™ works when you're relaxing, too! Does your eldest child refuse to give their younger sibling the GamePad™ in family bouts of Nintendoland™? Lunk Alarm U™ will let them know that it's nice to share! In keeping with that spirit, Lunk Alarm U™ is available on a sliding price scale. Recommend it to your friends and family and it'll be cheaper for you! In fact, Nintendo will even let you in on the action. Starting this June, Nintendo is happy to announce Super Mario Linear Marketing U™, an account-based program that pays you and your friends to play!

Nothing wrong with them expanding the businesses. Is something they need in order to have funds to release competitive consoles. But maybe they should expand first into media, (anime studios, SMARTPHONES) than into healthness.

Oersted

Why not...

I have to see the idea and the pricing before I can condemn or praise it, but I'm personally not interested.

Its clearly not for gamers.

You know, just because 2 out of 3 console manufacturers have markets outside the gaming one, doesn't mean that Nintendo can get away with it.

Basically Nintendo is going to take those type of health related casual games they had in the previous gen and add them onto some innovative health related platform. Also, if you look at the question marks its going to have some sort of connectivity with their gaming devices.

The image that was posted above shows that they are going to co-exist.
Yea doesnt sound bad as the other thread was explaining. Cant blame it though it was the heat of the moment.

Top Bottom