• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackflag

My back is no better today. This being 3 full days after it happened. I'm beginning to wonder if it is serious. Don't wanna have to be a curl brah. I need squats and deadlifts in my life.

balddemon

Banned
wb shogun, long time no see

--

my workout today went pretty well.

squatted 260 3x5 - hard as fuck
deadlifted 305 1x5 - also hard as fuck
benched
175 1x4
165 1x5
135 1x5 - time to deload lmao

I knew bench would be the first lift to stall. it might be because of the accessory work i did saturday, but i doubt it.

I was at the gym today and on my last rep of bench i felt sort of a grind in my left shoulder. I left right away and its sore right now but I still have full range of motion. Should I wait a few days to see if it gets better or go to a doctor right away?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Welcome back. Hope everything is okay.

I'm starting my 3rd cycle of 5/3/1. I have already noticed improvement in my deadlift and squat. Bench and press - not so much but not stalling just yet so we'll see.

Everything is fine with me personally, thanks though.

I too am on my 3rd cycle. I also just ordered 5/3/1 for powerlifting, which apparently was the last copy in existence.

Good to see you back, man, though I've been neglecting this thread too. Hope all is well.

Going to be on a business trip next week, so will see how well a hotel fitness center substitutes. At least they are supposed to have a pool.

Sweet, take some pics. ;)

Veezy

que?
Good to see you back, man, though I've been neglecting this thread too. Hope all is well.

Going to be on a business trip next week, so will see how well a hotel fitness center substitutes. At least they are supposed to have a pool.

First, WB alien.

Second, PB, you want a few bedroom high intensity conditioning stuff you can do? I can't promise it'll be fun, and i'll make you vomit if you have anything in your stomach, but you'll feel like you did a work out when you're done. Plus, it should take less than 10-15 minutes per work out.

First, WB alien.

Second, PB, you want a few bedroom high intensity conditioning stuff you can do? I can't promise it'll be fun, and i'll make you vomit if you have anything in your stomach, but you'll feel like you did a work out when you're done. Plus, it should take less than 10-15 minutes per work out.
Haha, sure....It's been a long time since i had to work out in a hotel room so could use some inspiration.

JB1981

My back is no better today. This being 3 full days after it happened. I'm beginning to wonder if it is serious. Don't wanna have to be a curl brah. I need squats and deadlifts in my life.

what have you been doing to heal it? it's pretty hard for 135lbs to hurt any healthy person. do you have any injury history?

Veezy

que?
Haha, sure....It's been a long time since i had to work out in a hotel room so could use some inspiration.

Here are are few terrible ones, don't do them on a full stomach.

5 dive bomb pushups/10 mountain climbers/5 burpees; seven rounds

150 jump squats

5 mountain climbers/ 1 burpee; 25 rounds

5 burpees/10 pushups; ten rounds

15 tuck jumps/15 sit ups; ten rounds

Your goal is less than ten minutes. If you can do it in less than ten, track how many rounds/partial rounds you get and then try to beat it next time.

Enjoy!

Alright....
My weight gain has leveled off with GOMAD (about 148 started at 120-125ish). It's been 1.5 months. It is nooooowheeree where it should be and I am doing everything right. (whole milk, everyday, eating as much as my body can take on top of it, etc, etc.)

This is getting really expensive for my income and it seems like I am getting nowhere... I am eating about 3500 to 4500 calories a day. (depends on what my parents make for dinner) and I get a little more than my body weight in protein. What am I doing wrong?

This article helped me figure out what to do when I hurt my back.

Turns out it was a slipped SI joint. I was able to fix it myself using the links in the article. Good luck.

grumble

Alright....
My weight gain has leveled off with GOMAD (about 148 started at 120-125ish). It's been 1.5 months. It is nooooowheeree where it should be and I am doing everything right. (whole milk, everyday, eating as much as my body can take on top of it, etc, etc.)

This is getting really expensive for my income and it seems like I am getting nowhere... I am eating about 3500 to 4500 calories a day. (depends on what my parents make for dinner) and I get a little more than my body weight in protein. What am I doing wrong?

You have gained 23-28 pounds in 1.5 months and are complaining about progress? You've skyrocketed in weight, anywhere from 18-23% of your body weight. It's gotten to the point where you might actually want to slow down slightly to let your body figure out its composition.

Continue with your diet, exercise really fucking hard and don't worry about one week or another. If you really find that you're having trouble with weight gain, eat more; you may want to consider rice, protein shakes, pasta, discount meats/organ meat etc to supplement GOMAD.

blackflag

This article helped me figure out what to do when I hurt my back.

Turns out it was a slipped SI joint. I was able to fix it myself using the links in the article. Good luck.

Awesome. Just read it. Not sure which I have. Sounds more like a herniated disk which would be worst case I guess. I think I'll make an appt. if I don't feel much better tomorrow.

Petrie

Banned
Alright....

Bro, you are well beyond where you should be, to the point where it sounds like you mustve put on a lot of fat.

Mr.City

Alright....

So what else are you eating besides diet and how are your lifts doing?

Monday- legs (calf, hammy, quads)

Tuesday- Chest/shoulders

Wednesday- Off

Thursday- Back (upper and lower)

Friday- arms

(Okay, so about a three weeks ago or so, I put shoulders on leg day, and I did triceps on chest day, and biceps on back day, as that was the advice given by here.)

I do 3 exercises per muscle, 4 sets for the first exercise (per muscle) and 3 sets with the other two, usually with 1 or two warm-up sets just to get the blood pumping. 8 reps per set for each of those.

I've been looking into this 5/3/1 system, I haven't managed to read it yet though, is it a good system for gaining mass?

Are you training to be a competitive bodybuilder?

Bro, you are well beyond where you should be, to the point where it sounds like you mustve put on a lot of fat.

I don't really see it in the mirror. I still see a skinny fuck.
Keep in mind I was 6 ft and 125 lbs. And I have large joints/ shoulders which made me look much skinnier. Still trying to fill my arms out ( I have that weird elbow joint thing going where my forearm is big but my upper arm is skinny -_-)

So what else are you eating besides diet and how are your lifts doing?

Lifts are doing ok. I reset a few weeks ago since my form was awful and everything was hurting.

squat-110
deadlift- 170 (didn't reset these)
OHP- 70
bench- 80
row- 80
laying tricep extension (just an accessory) -50

Only thing I can think of is sleep. I get maybe 6 a day. That is naturally waking up though not just forgetting to sleep (though today might be one of those nights).

Ashhong

What do you guys do when your gym buddy is incredibly useless? I imagine the answer "find a new one" will be popular.

My friend and I share a membership to LA Fitness because the account lets us bring 3 people at once. We started StrongLifts together but man he refuses to follow the information and rules provided. If he feels a bit tired, he'll drop the weights to what "he thinks he can do" that day. If he can't do 5x5, he'll lower the weight so he can, instead of just doing the sets as much as he can.

Today we were doing Pendlay rows, and he already lowered it from about 100lbs to 75. He's not bringing it to his chest so I tell him to watch that and try to do it, and he says "nah, I feel like I don't need to". What the fuck? On top of that, he's doing like 8 reps of it, and I suggest he simply go up in weight instead so he can do 5x5, but nope.

I think his main problem is he doesn't believe in compound exercises. It was hard for me to really trust at first too, because obviously it makes more sense that doing bicep curls all day will give me nice big biceps. Just so frustrating! Not really an option to find a new partner because 1. he's a friend and 2. he's paying for half this membership lol. Just suck it up and ignore his shit?

What do you guys do when your gym buddy is incredibly useless? I imagine the answer "find a new one" will be popular.

My friend and I share a membership to LA Fitness because the account lets us bring 3 people at once. We started StrongLifts together but man he refuses to follow the information and rules provided. If he feels a bit tired, he'll drop the weights to what "he thinks he can do" that day. If he can't do 5x5, he'll lower the weight so he can, instead of just doing the sets as much as he can.

Today we were doing Pendlay rows, and he already lowered it from about 100lbs to 75. He's not bringing it to his chest so I tell him to watch that and try to do it, and he says "nah, I feel like I don't need to". What the fuck? On top of that, he's doing like 8 reps of it, and I suggest he simply go up in weight instead so he can do 5x5, but nope.

I think his main problem is he doesn't believe in compound exercises. It was hard for me to really trust at first too, because obviously it makes more sense that doing bicep curls all day will give me nice big biceps. Just so frustrating! Not really an option to find a new partner because 1. he's a friend and 2. he's paying for half this membership lol. Just suck it up and ignore his shit?

Do you really need a gym partner? Focus on your own training. Training partners are a distraction.

If you need somebody to give you a spot, you can ask any schmuck at the gym.

If you need somebody to motivate you, I suggest you work on self-motivation techniques instead (or looking at the gym chicks works equally well).

If you need somebody to bounce ideas off, post here. :p

Ashhong

Do you really need a gym partner? Focus on your own training. Training partners are a distraction.

If you need somebody to give you a spot, you can ask any schmuck at the gym.

If you need somebody to motivate you, I suggest you work on self-motivation techniques instead (or looking at the gym chicks works equally well).

If you need somebody to bounce ideas off, post here. :p

I need him to pay half of my gym bill
lol.gif
He doesn't distract my workout, so no worries there. Just annoying lol

lenovox1

I was at the gym today and on my last rep of bench i felt sort of a grind in my left shoulder. I left right away and its sore right now but I still have full range of motion. Should I wait a few days to see if it gets better or go to a doctor right away?

Awesome. Just read it. Not sure which I have. Sounds more like a herniated disk which would be worst case I guess. I think I'll make an appt. if I don't feel much better tomorrow.

Y'all should visit a physical or sports therapist (if you have insurance, ofc). In fact, it's wise for anyone who uses their body frequently to visit a PT regularly for optimum health. It's like how many of the world's best singers continue to go to voice classes during their entire professional careers.

JB1981

Let's hope not. I have a herniated disc and they are a fucker to heal and deal with. It's unlikely that a 135lb back squat would cause a herniated disc. It might be a facet joint injury.

If its a herniation I will tell you that early chiropractic intervention was my best treatment and really helped speed up my recovery

Are you training to be a competitive bodybuilder?

SMH, let's not start that shit again...

Monday- legs (calf, hammy, quads)

Tuesday- Chest/shoulders

Wednesday- Off

Thursday- Back (upper and lower)

Friday- arms

(Okay, so about a three weeks ago or so, I put shoulders on leg day, and I did triceps on chest day, and biceps on back day, as that was the advice given by here.)

I do 3 exercises per muscle, 4 sets for the first exercise (per muscle) and 3 sets with the other two, usually with 1 or two warm-up sets just to get the blood pumping. 8 reps per set for each of those.

I've been looking into this 5/3/1 system, I haven't managed to read it yet though, is it a good system for gaining mass?

Mine looks like:

Monday: Legs & Core
Tuesday: Chest and Biceps
Thursday: Back
Friday: Shoulders and Triceps

Now on a gaining routing I was hitting 1 exercise per large body part, and the smaller lagging parts twice, for example shoulders =

1 front delts (they are huge and over dominate my shoulders)
1 side delt
2 rear delts

So 4 exercises and I'm out. But on my 4th set I drop set, either 2 or 3 sets...I normally play around with things like pyramids or reverse pyramids, even now again I train my 50%, 60%, 70%, 80% of my 1 rep max strength till I get my solid rep out

For mass you should always look at mid to high range reps, my set/rep range now is 4s 8-12 reps

Edit* 5/3/1 is probably OK for strength, but reps and sets for mass

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
SMH, let's not start that shit again...

Mine looks like:

Monday: Legs & Core
Tuesday: Chest and Biceps
Thursday: Back
Friday: Shoulders and Triceps

Now on a gaining routing I was hitting 1 exercise per large body part, and the smaller lagging parts twice, for example shoulders =

1 front delts (they are huge and over dominate my shoulders)
1 side delt
2 rear delts

So 4 exercises and I'm out. But on my 4th set I drop set, either 2 or 3 sets...I normally play around with things like pyramids or reverse pyramids, even now again I train my 50%, 60%, 70%, 80% of my 1 rep max strength till I get my solid rep out

For mass you should always look at mid to high range reps, my set/rep range now is 4s 8-12 reps

Edit* 5/3/1 is probably OK for strength, but reps and sets for mass

Yeah 5/3/1 is a strength program Izik, however, you can mix some hypertrophy in with the big but boring assistance program. Ultimately though, if you're doing a body building focused program, you need to do just that; Pick the most efficient way to train, look into established body building programs, and listen to this man, he knows his stuff when it comes to body building.

Edit: I think Wendler may have made a body building variation of a BB routine too, not sure. He's made one for everything else. I think he's even contemplating working on an MMA variation.

Yeah 5/3/1 is a strength program Izik, however, you can mix some hypertrophy in with the big but boring assistance program. Ultimately though, if you're doing a body building focused program, you need to do just that; Pick the most efficient way to train, look into established body building programs, and listen to this man, he knows his stuff when it comes to body building.

Edit: I think Wendler may have made a body building variation of a BB routine too, not sure. He's made one for everything else. I think he's even contemplating working on an MMA variation.

Where have you been man??

rififi

I don't really see it in the mirror. I still see a skinny fuck.
Keep in mind I was 6 ft and 125 lbs. And I have large joints/ shoulders which made me look much skinnier. Still trying to fill my arms out ( I have that weird elbow joint thing going where my forearm is big but my upper arm is skinny -_-)

25 lbs in only 6 weeks with little fat gain seems like you are doing something right.

Some of that weight will definitely be water weight, but you might not notice a large visible difference in only 6 weeks at 6'. Come back in 5 to 6 months.

Don't get discouraged by what you see in the mirror. Measure your progress by whether or not you are increasing your lifts and gaining weight each week.
Your bench seems a little low for your height and current weight. So don't be afraid to go big, 100 pounds isn't that much to roll off your body if you fail to lift it (assuming you don't have a spotter). Squats are a little more intimidating to go big without a rack or a spotter - do you work out at home or at a gym?

25 lbs in only 6 weeks with little fat gain seems like you are doing something right.

Some of that weight will definitely be water weight, but you might not notice a large visible difference in only 6 weeks at 6'. Come back in 5 to 6 months.

Don't get discouraged by what you see in the mirror. Measure your progress by whether or not you are increasing your lifts and gaining weight each week.
Your bench seems a little low for your height and current weight. So don't be afraid to go big, 100 pounds isn't that much to roll off your body if you fail to lift it (assuming you don't have a spotter). Squats are a little more intimidating to go big without a rack or a spotter - do you work out at home or at a gym?

Considering I lose weight by not being on gomad for 1 weekend I would say it is all water weight.

At a gym, no spotter. I didn't want to go too big and then be stuck there. Made that mistake when I started.

blackflag

what have you been doing to heal it? it's pretty hard for 135lbs to hurt any healthy person. do you have any injury history?

Nah, no problems before. My working weight for squats is 300 and my deadlifts are 400. It is weird that 135lb warmup broke me.

I haven't done anything to heal it except I haven't worked out since Friday.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Finally found a hill to run, only managed 5 times before I had to stop. Holy fuck I'm out of (cardio) shape. I've stayed the same weight (stopped dropping and went back to and leveled off at 240-242) but am definitely still losing fat. I did start taking creatine again though. Hopefully this hill training will work its magic. Did these right after my work out.

deadbeef

Finally found a hill to run, only managed 5 times before I had to stop. Holy fuck I'm out of (cardio) shape. I've stayed the same weight (stopped dropping and went back to and leveled off at 240-242) but am definitely still losing fat. I did start taking creatine again though. Hopefully this hill training will work its magic. Did these right after my work out.

How steep?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
How steep?

It varied, gradual at first then probably about 20% closer to the top, maybe more? It was probably at least 200-300m of a run though.

I'm kind of fucked since I live in cornfield U.S.A Everything is flat, and the steepest hills are next to highways.

I'll take a picture of it from the bottom next time.

Edit: Yeah, just google earthed it and it's about 150-200m Hard to take into account since it's a hill, and the image is flat.

OG Kush

Alright....

have you seen this?
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/timothyf.htm
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blo...eak-how-i-gained-34-lbs-of-muscle-in-4-weeks/
http://wiki.dandascalescu.com/summa...hour_body/from_geek_to_freak_-_gaining_muscle

For anyone here who has gotten a good massage, how much did you pay (plus tip)?
Guaranteed good deep tissue massage, I will pay $50 for an hour plus $10 tip. Usually I get student massages though and that is $25 for 55 minutes. I tip ranging from $5-15 depending on how good they were, including asking questions, finding my tight spots and pressure points, etc. Half the time I ask for hard pressure and get a soft gentle rub that puts me right to sleep. I want to feel sore the next day. If I do get a great massage from a student, I tip well cuz I know they probably don't make much.

From what people have told me and what I've seen on groupon, etc, the more expensive places tend to come with weird new age shit like aura readings. I stick with 3 places I know are just straight up massage.

cbox

Ok fellas, i'm back into my cycling training regiment. I'm wondering how I can maximize my workouts and help lose the 5-10ish lbs of fat I still have left from my previous weight loss. I'm training for a 200km ride, of which I have done twice already (last year and hte year before ). Right now I'm riding around 10-15k @20-30kmph a night, I'll increase it once the days get longer.

Right now I'm 170, looking to get back to 160/150 but toned. Fat is still around my waist, and it seems to be the hardest to get rid of, my legs are nicely toned and arms are getting there. I lift two 15lb dumbells every other night before going to bed. I do as many until I can't life anymore, wait a few minutes and then try again.

Tips/ suggestions!? I eat a nice mix of everything, no soda or junk food - only veggies, lean meat, whole grains, etc...

thanks!

Mr.City

Yeah, this seems pretty bad for someone just starting out. It's oddly specific and likes to whore out those supplements.

Ok fellas, i'm back into my cycling training regiment. I'm wondering how I can maximize my workouts and help lose the 5-10ish lbs of fat I still have left from my previous weight loss. I'm training for a 200km ride, of which I have done twice already (last year and hte year before ). Right now I'm riding around 10-15k @20-30kmph a night, I'll increase it once the days get longer.

Right now I'm 170, looking to get back to 160/150 but toned. Fat is still around my waist, and it seems to be the hardest to get rid of, my legs are nicely toned and arms are getting there. I lift two 15lb dumbells every other night before going to bed. I do as many until I can't life anymore, wait a few minutes and then try again.

Tips/ suggestions!? I eat a nice mix of everything, no soda or junk food - only veggies, lean meat, whole grains, etc...

thanks!

Get a gym membership and track your calories. Eat on a deficit and slowly lose weight until those fine lines come in. That thing you do is the 15 lb DBs is silly. If you don't want to pay for a gym membership, at least spring for a chin up bar.

cbox

Yeah, this seems pretty bad for someone just starting out. It's oddly specific and likes to whore out those supplements.

Get a gym membership and track your calories. Eat on a deficit and slowly lose weight until those fine lines come in. That thing you do is the 15 lb DBs is silly. If you don't want to pay for a gym membership, at least spring for a chin up bar.

I've been meaning to get one bit I don't really have a place to stick it, must look around some more. I ignited the db thing was something rather than nothing - I'm seeing results in my arms at least, chin up bar will only take me further :)

steveovig

I'm trying to get certified in the next few months with the ACSM. Does anyone here know if I need to become a member of the ACSM first or if I need a degree before I can get certified through them?

EDIT:Nevermind, someone already answered me on bb.com. I don't need either.

I fucked my neck doing pull ups at the gym last night.

Pretty sure it's spasmodic.

Why did this happen and should I take a muscle relaxant?
Was your neck in neutral position while doing pullups or were you looking up. I'd just rest, probably just a tweak. I would not take relaxants because it will not help you stay in a good position.

I started to do about 40 minutes of cardio a day(well been doing it for two months now) but one of my friends thinks it stops muscle growth. Haven't really saw that my muscle growth has become slower but have lost about 14 pounds of fat and I am starting to see my top abs so I think everything is fine. He is full of shit right?

Mr.City

I started to do about 40 minutes of cardio a day(well been doing it for two months now) but one of my friends thinks it stops muscle growth. Haven't really saw that my muscle growth has become slower but have lost about 14 pounds of fat and I am starting to see my top abs so I think everything is fine. He is full of shit right?

Depends. Lots of low, slow cardio can be catabolic, and those tops abs you're seeing are from the fat loss of the calorie deficit created by the cardio.

Depends. Lots of low, slow cardio can be catabolic, and those tops abs you're seeing are from the fat loss of the calorie deficit created by the cardio.

Yeah main reason why I added cardio, for me gaining muscle is lots easier then losing weight so I am trying to push cardio hard by doing it everyday

rififi

Alright....

I'm looking at your diet again, with whole milk a gallon a day would be about 2300 calories and about 130 g of protein. You say you are getting only a little more than bw in protein, so I will assume below 160 g of protein. If you are eating between 3500 and 4500 calories a day, I don't know how you aren't getting more protein. Do most of your meals mainly consist of carbs and fats? any vegetables? What other foods are you eating (you may be underestimating your intake)?
If you don't want to buy protein powder to replace some of the milk, other possible foods you could buy are Fage Greek Yoghurt (23 g of protein per cup), Kashi Go lean Cereal (13 g per cup), Barilla Plus Pasta, and of course tuna and chicken breasts (I don't pay attention to the price of these products, so I don't know if they fit in your budget).

About the water intake, milk is about 85-90% water, so you're probably getting enough water. 6 hours of sleep may be a little low though.
Based on the lift stats you gave, I am assuming you are following the beginner routine in the OP. You can always try to add some more lifts - pullups and parallel bar dips for instance. And again, you need to be patient - as long as you are gaining some weight and increasing your lifts consistently.

Given that muscle gain is about diminishing returns and fat loss isn't, you may wish to reevaluate that statement.
I mean I have a very easy time putting on weight, I never have had problems gaining muscle, I have had problems losing weight, gaining muscle is very natural for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom