• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA News, Information, & Beta Thread

Izayoi

Banned
tera2012-02-2619-57-39djps.png

Arachnea is down too, I think they shut down the PvP servers early. This was probably on purpose. The whole day the only "PvP" that was going on was people training the spiders to try and MPK the people hanging around the Manor entrance area. OWPvP just doesn't work in this game, it wasn't designed for it and all the zones are full of choke-points which makes it impossible for normal people who just want to level to escape gankers.
That's what PvE servers are for though.

Rinoa

Hah I haven't read much of the story saving that for a real playthrough. Btw, fun questing with you last night....work sucked today I just took a nap. Ive had some killer fun with this warrior.

Good times, priest is too strong. I still prefer Sorceror, but soloing on either job is so tedious.

That's what PvE servers are for though.

There are plenty of PvP games where you both have to flag for PvP, or restricts the levels at which people can fight each other. Either option entirely ends lowbie ganking but allows anybody to fight anybody else. Hell, I wouldn't even really mind being ganked by people my level, at least I could actually try to fight them off or run away. Getting one-shotted by a level 60 guy when I'm leveling my level 15 alt is completely fucking retarded. There is essentially no good argument for unrestricted FFA OWPvP other than people want to be douchebags to each other, and games like that always die. If you really want Tera to live and have a healthy PvP server population, you should be in favor of restrictions for high levels ganking lowbies. It serves no useful purpose whatsoever, drives people away, and you get a dead server with no population. Even games which are PvP-only like Aion had this problem, so much so that NA Aion actually removed rifts from the game. Aion still died though for many other reasons, such as it sucked.

People are already exploiting the current system as well, really EME should simply remove all safe zones for people who flag outlaw. If you flag outlaw, you can't even be safe in town, you can still be killed by anybody. Once you are killed, your outlaw flag wears off and you can flag again if you want. It's stupid that outlaws can dance on the town safe line or even position their healers inside the line to heal party members ganking outside the line. It would also reduce the douchiness of people who like to train BAMs into the safe zones to MPK people who are just waiting for an instance party. They wouldn't try that shit if everyone standing around could suddenly rip their faces off for trying stupid shit like that.

Izayoi

Banned
There are plenty of PvP games where you both have to flag for PvP, or restricts the levels at which people can fight each other. Either option entirely ends lowbie ganking but allows anybody to fight anybody else. Hell, I wouldn't even really mind being ganked by people my level, at least I could actually try to fight them off or run away. Getting one-shotted by a level 60 guy when I'm leveling my level 15 alt is completely fucking retarded. There is essentially no good argument for unrestricted FFA OWPvP other than people want to be douchebags to each other, and games like that always die. If you really want Tera to live and have a healthy PvP server population, you should be in favor of restrictions for high levels ganking lowbies. It serves no useful purpose whatsoever, drives people away, and you get a dead server with no population. Even games which are PvP-only like Aion had this problem, so much so that NA Aion actually removed rifts from the game. Aion still died though for many other reasons, such as it sucked.

People are already exploiting the current system as well, really EME should simply remove all safe zones for people who flag outlaw. If you flag outlaw, you can't even be safe in town, you can still be killed by anybody. Once you are killed, your outlaw flag wears off and you can flag again if you want. It's stupid that outlaws can dance on the town safe line or even position their healers inside the line to heal party members ganking outside the line. It would also reduce the douchiness of people who like to train BAMs into the safe zones to MPK people who are just waiting for an instance party. They wouldn't try that shit if everyone standing around could suddenly rip their faces off for trying stupid shit like that.
I'm not opposed to level banding or anything like that, but I think you're getting too worked up over this. If you don't want to PvP, there are PvE servers right there waiting. And really, if it's consensual, how is it any different from duels? There would be no point. If you want consensual PvP, that's available on PvE servers in the form of GvG, duels, battlegrounds, and deathmatches. I don't really care about the populations, the game is not going to do well anyway - the west is far too prejudiced against eastern games (especially with Aion fresh in the memories of many). As long as it has a small but dedicated population, that will be enough.

Safe zones need one-shotters for Outlaws, but that's an easy fix. Mob training happens on both PvE and PvP servers, not sure what it has to do with PvP.

Really, it's a closed beta. There will be time for things to change, but it honestly sounds like you just don't want to PvP - and that's fine, but that's why you play on PvE server instead.

Ultimadrago

I'm still not sure how I feel about the FFA OWPVP system yet. I'm having fun but I really dislike the idea of having to be in a large guild just to "survive". I'm also concerned about what state the server could end up in as the player base dwindles. It seems like the large "zerg" guilds would just take over.

The PK activity seems to be picking up a lot, the closer you get to 27. Just hit 27 tonight and saw quite a bit from 24-27.

If you decide to roll PvE for launch let me know, as I harbor similar concerns.
(or if you are going to bounce to and fro, either is fine)

Here are my thoughts about what should be changed with regard to pvp -

1. Killing someone 7 levels or more below you should be possible, but there should be heavy penalties for doing so. Something similar to the k-tera system for players in this category.

e.g. Killing a lower level (7+ below) player should give you a status debuff called "Blood of Innocents". Players with this status should not have access to town facilities, depending on the degree of the infraction. Culminating in being KoS to town guards.
2. Killing another player around your own level (within 3-5 levels of you) should not incur a penalty, or at least build up "infamy" far more slowly than someone who kills people a lot lower than they are.

That should keep lowbies reasonably safe from gankers, allow people to take matters into their own hands if someone steals their mob or mining node or causes trouble in other ways or if someone just wants to start a fight with someone close to their own level, they can do so without penalty.

I'm not opposed to level banding or anything like that, but I think you're getting too worked up over this. If you don't want to PvP, there are PvE servers right there waiting. And really, if it's consensual, how is it any different from duels? There would be no point. If you want consensual PvP, that's available on PvE servers in the form of GvG, duels, battlegrounds, and deathmatches. I don't really care about the populations, the game is not going to do well anyway - the west is far too prejudiced against eastern games (especially with Aion fresh in the memories of many). As long as it has a small but dedicated population, that will be enough.

Safe zones need one-shotters for Outlaws, but that's an easy fix. Mob training happens on both PvE and PvP servers, not sure what it has to do with PvP.

Really, it's a closed beta. There will be time for things to change, but it honestly sounds like you just don't want to PvP - and that's fine, but that's why you play on PvE server instead.

I have similar feelings but it's not because I don't want to PVP or because I want everything to be consensual. This is the same "go to a pve server" attitude I see constantly spewed all over the official forums. I enjoy competition and like PVP and I'm even fine with it not being consensual (this aspect is what makes it exciting) -- my major complaint is that it needs balancing and goals. PVP in TERA right now is heavily influenced by level and gear and doesn't feel very balanced. That coupled with the lack of any kind of risk or reward system and things will just devolve into constant ganking and griefing or get to the point where it isn't even worth the effort to PVP in the first place.

Either way, I don't really care how it turns out. I can still have fun with PVP on the PVE side and if I don't like TERA's implementation of PVP on their PVP servers, I'll certainly be happy on the PVE side as I really just want to play and enjoy the game. I just hope their implementation doesn't taint the game's image if things turn out badly.

Also, I have to say that I disagree about the game not doing well. It's not going to put up WoW or SWTOR numbers obviously, but I think it will be pretty successful.

Here's a shot I took today doing some exploring..

This is the level 35-37 area in the desert..

near a place called the Dark Cathedral

I killed a few level 37 mobs inside, but as I was already at 100% of the way to 28, I didn't get any exp for them.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ROFL we tried to speed-run the Manor with like 26 minutes left before the end. We got the spider down to 11.1% and then the servers shut down!

You're right, I don't really want to PvP. I'm very bad at it, and I don't derive any particular satisfaction from killing other players. But I'm going where GAF is going, assuming all of GAF goes to the same place. I doubt we have the numbers to sustain a GAF guild if we are split between a PvE server and a PvP server.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yo Izayoi I'm confused, why the fuck are warriors getting a buff to their aoe taunt... when they don't really have any agro issues in the first place o_O

This game is pretty godlike for an mmo. People have talked about how grindy the game is quest wise and then talk about grind in a negative way. Tera is definitely not grind heavy as most Asian MMOs, I would say Tera is like Vanilla/TBC/Wrath Questing.

IMO grind can be either be a pro or a con pending on how the gameplay is. Most games are technically "grinds" but the gameplay is so good that you usually don't notice it (fighting games, racing games, fps, rpgs) and I would have to say Tera's gameplay is pretty damn fun.

Izayoi

Banned
tera2012-02-2623-27-33cb0p.png

tera2012-02-2623-35-2vdztb.png

tera2012-02-2623-52-2iclbg.png

Yo Izayoi I'm confused, why the fuck are warriors getting a buff to their aoe taunt... when they don't really have any agro issues in the first place o_O
Because people are inept. They're buffing a class that doesn't really need buffing in order to accommodate players who are incompetent and unable to play it properly. It's a shame, but that's kind of how MMOs go.

I hope the Elin army defeated many non-Elins.

Berserker is super-fun. I don't think I would have tried one until I saw you playing yours in your streams. But it sure is fun when every button you have is the Hulksmash button.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Because people are inept. They're buffing a class that doesn't really need buffing in order to accommodate players who are incompetent and unable to play it properly. It's a shame, but that's kind of how MMOs go.

Yeah honestly from all that I've played with on K-Tera, and now more on NA-Tera warriors feel fine... I never even had issues on trash... and I pulled a room or two at a time... I'm really scared at what might happen. Then again I have a feeling no matter what they do, due to the way warriors work, shitty wars will always be shit. I mean wtf can they do? Make it so warriors attack skills all reduce damage they take by 90%? Maybe shit warriors can play then.

Izayoi

Banned
ABRAXIS THE CRAB LORD, round 2.

tera2012-02-2622-50-1iry2r.jpg

Berserker is super-fun. I don't think I would have tried one until I saw you playing yours in your streams. But it sure is fun when every button you have is the Hulksmash button.
We got crushed, unfortunately. Look at the radar.

Reikon

Those screenshots remind me. How do people get that Lolicon title? I understand other ones are from achievements, but lolicon?

Napophis

Had alot of fun playing WAR, hopefully they make enough changes to it make it more appealing so groups actually invite them...

Wondering if we know whether or not Warrior's resource system is moving away from mana, sounds like the new "stacking" system is basically like combo points for rogues. I read they were thinking of adding parry to Warriors.

zugzug

So many of the things you say are so obvious yet games are still released like trash. These are the times when I say I can do better than this with my own fucking ideas to fix the planet!

You know I'd even be fine if they had such open gank anylevel pvp but just label it one server so people know if you go on that server your opening to it.

Game Devs are so dumb with pve or pvp only servers. So lazy. I just don't buy the rule of different code bases to keep updating.

Ricker

I had fun with my Slayer,only reached level 12 but had time to get my mount,use the Pegasus and see Lumbertown,which looked awesome...the atmosphere because of the graphics is great in the game,especially when there is moody music,like some part of the Tainted Gorge...I wasn't planning on getting this but I think I will pre-order after the next CBT...I will try another Race/Class,probably a Magic/Mage type class next time and see how it goes.

I love playing with a controller and keyboard set-up,works great.

_dazed

Game Devs are so dumb with pve or pvp only servers. So lazy. I just don't buy the rule of different code bases to keep updating.

eh they both use the same code, pve servers just have flag in the code that disables the pvp. I don't see why more options is a bad thing.

Effect

Damn this game is beautiful. Great shots.

I don't really care about MMO stories. They're just categorically problematic. The line "if everyone is a hero then no one is" fits perfectly here for the game's story. It'd be nice to play an MMORPG where you aren't a hero, where you are just a lowly grunt and the boring slay X tasks are just what's assigned to you because you're a grunt. And maybe you move up the grunt chain, becoming a "higher grunt" in the chain of command, but you're still a grunt, and you're expected to do what grunts are good at.

I guess my issue with this situation is that I still, maybe wrongly, think the RPG in MMORPG is important and should be judgedr. I just expect the story to at least be entertaining and have some effort behind it in regards to making me care. Or at least the lore and world need to be interesting enough for me to want to learn more about it. Sometimes the initial setting helps this along more then others. Dark Age of Camelot is a good example of this for me. I've always been curious about the Arthurian legends. Though in the end I sided with Hibernia do to how unique it looked compared to the Alb and Mid areas. Everquest is another. The EQ lore in EQ1 and EQ2 has always been one of the stronger aspects for me in that game. As I became less and less patient with the quest/task system aspects like this became more important and helped keep me in games. Then again I'm a person that bought the Dungeons and Dragons Eberron Setting book with no intention on playing the game but just to read up on the world since I enjoyed the novels so much.

If I wanted just multiplayer, and nothing wrong with that, I'd keep playing FPS or RTS. There are options out there I know. Perhaps it really is just the level grind in the end. If I could just hop into a MMO, explore the lore and world, and when I felt like it get a group and go fight a giant or some other large creature without having to waste weeks or months getting to the right level or set of equipment I'd be extremely happy.

Muddimar

Just a quick question. Is there a way to climb back down from a "climb" area? I swear to god I tried every button on the keyboard and nothing would engage me to the ladder/bushes I was trying to climb. So far the only thing that I've seen work is jumping to your death. Is this a known bug? Or am I missing some magical key I'm suppose to press?

Just a quick question. Is there a way to climb back down from a "climb" area? I swear to god I tried every button on the keyboard and nothing would engage me to the ladder/bushes I was trying to climb. So far the only thing that I've seen work is jumping to your death. Is this a known bug? Or am I missing some magical key I'm suppose to press?

I'm castanic so I lept off like a baus and survived :).

Muddimar

I'm castanic so I lept off like a baus and survived :).

Boo! Your athletics doesn't help my fat Baraka! The ladder in SM is fine because there is a ledge about half way down you can land on. But the "climb the vines" quests freaking kill my fat ass everytime :( ... I submitted it as a bug on their forums hopefully they fix it!

Boo! Your athletics doesn't help my fat Baraka! The ladder in SM is fine because there is a ledge about half way down you can land on. But the "climb the vines" quests freaking kill my fat ass everytime :( ... I submitted it as a bug on their forums hopefully they fix it!

Really? I did that with three different characters at full health and it left me with 1 HP every time.

Ultimadrago

HEIL Elin Master Race!

I've also fallen in love with the class. At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to sacrifice mobility for power, but when I first executed that Level 3 Cyclone.

My eyes were opened.

I've also fallen in love with the class. At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to sacrifice mobility for power, but when I first executed that Level 3 Cyclone.

My eyes were opened.

Yeah, for the short while I got to play one I enjoyed it a lot. Ironically as slow as people claim the Berserker is coming from a Lancer I found it faster. o_O

You're right, I don't really want to PvP. I'm very bad at it, and I don't derive any particular satisfaction from killing other players. But I'm going where GAF is going, assuming all of GAF goes to the same place. I doubt we have the numbers to sustain a GAF guild if we are split between a PvE server and a PvP server.

I think a GAF guild on the PVP side is a bit of a pipe dream due to the importance of guild membership numbers but if at least half of the people playing now continue into launch we definitely have a good start for a strong PVE guild. We should all get together during one of the CBTs and discuss. I think starting with GAF as a base and then recruiting out would be our best option since MMO GAF groups have a tendency to drift.

Storming the beaches of Arborea! That looks epic.

Custom guild title. Would be hilarious if it was attainable in-game though.

Kind of unrelated, but there is an Elin NPC named Loholi in Tuwangi. I was like... what??

Well, technically if you read the quest text for the Island of Dawn quest they expect you to use a teleport scroll once you reach the top. I agree that you should be able to climb down from there though.

Rinoa

If I could just hope into a MMO, explore the lore and world, and when I felt like it get a group and go fight a giant or some other large creature without having to waste weeks or months getting to the right level or set of equipment I'd be extremely happy.

This is what TERA is for me, I don't have to grind forever just to look like a badass or to simply join a party and fight BAMs. I'm level 20something and already farming BAMs and it's fun. Mind you level 20 = 2 days of light playing.

edit: just saw the post about fat characters dying when they jump /dead

You can't die from falling in Tera. You can at worst be reduced to 1 HP.

Muddimar

Really? I did that with three different characters at full health and it left me with 1 HP every time.

Now that I think about it, I guess you don't die now when you fall. But they should still enable you to climb DOWN something that you are able to climb UP lol. I dunno how often climbing comes into the game later on, but in SM there is a ladder that you aren't able to climb down. I was thinking this probably reoccurs later in other instances as well.

Rinoa

How many people are signing this?

At my office we do christmas card signings pretty often and it takes a few days for it to circulate across an area of 25~ people lol.

esserius

Banned
Damn this game is beautiful. Great shots.

I guess my issue with this situation is that I still, maybe wrongly, think the RPG in MMORPG is important and should be judgedr. I just expect the story to at least be entertaining and have some effort behind it in regards to making me care. Or at least the lore and world need to be interesting enough for me to want to learn more about it. Sometimes the initial setting helps this along more then others. Dark Age of Camelot is a good example of this for me. I've always been curious about the Arthurian legends. Though in the end I sided with Hibernia do to how unique it looked compared to the Alb and Mid areas. Everquest is another. The EQ lore in EQ1 and EQ2 has always been one of the stronger aspects for me in that game. As I became less and less patient with the quest/task system aspects like this became more important and helped keep me in games. Then again I'm a person that bought the Dungeons and Dragons Eberron Setting book with no intention on playing the game but just to read up on the world since I enjoyed the novels so much.

If I wanted just multiplayer, and nothing wrong with that, I'd keep playing FPS or RTS. There are options out there I know. Perhaps it really is just the level grind in the end. If I could just hop into a MMO, explore the lore and world, and when I felt like it get a group and go fight a giant or some other large creature without having to waste weeks or months getting to the right level or set of equipment I'd be extremely happy.
I would too, but they gotta make sure they get their $8.95 ($15)... E-SPORTS.

Also, as much as I love the adorable Elins, I dunno if I want to play one. I'm really liking the Amani right now. Still unsure if I want to play Slayer or Berserker (maybe Warrior?). Guess I'll have some time to think about it. Still, the Slayer's attacks just feel meaty as all hell and that's why I really love them. I wish there was force feedback for controllers, for some reason that really helps me get a feel for the weight of attacks and being attacked.

Well, I finally gave Berserker a fair shake and I'm enjoying it a lot more than Slayer...and I really liked Slayer in KTERA. Might be my main moving forward.

So the bug report I filed got just about the most Engrishy response I've ever seen. o_O

I kind of wonder how they're handling the Korean/English language barrier.

So.. anyone else who played K-Tera thinking about re-upping for a bit?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a fix before next weekend..

I heard that they went and cleaned out a bunch of idle accounts which might be played from outside of Korea, so if you try to log back in don't be surprised to be facing a mandatory Account Verification before you can play again. The Chinese RMTs who sold us our accounts back in the day can do this for us but they'll charge us a fee. So you'd be buying another time card and probably paying the Account Verification fee.

With the game launching stateside in 2 months, it seems hardly worth the effort to level another character in K-Tera only to abandon it in a matter of months.

I think a GAF guild on the PVP side is a bit of a pipe dream due to the importance of guild membership numbers but if at least half of the people playing now continue into launch we definitely have a good start for a strong PVE guild. We should all get together during one of the CBTs and discuss. I think starting with GAF as a base and then recruiting out would be our best option since MMO GAF groups have a tendency to drift.

Let's just be brutally honest here and admit that GAF MMOG guilds tend to just die after the first month, especially in more niche titles. Hell, outside of WoW I can't think of a GAF guild which has survived in any real capacity, even the Rift and SWTOR GAF guilds died horribly after the first month. I'm not going to make the same mistake I made in FFXIV, I will trust nobody to stay with me after the first month or two. Then I won't be sad when people I liked vanish and never return. I'm hoping the few of us who played together in K-Tera will stick around more than a month at the very least.

You should also be aware that if GAF rolls on a PvE server we will most certainly lose Izayoi and Arveene, they are going to a PvP server regardless of what anyone else does. I still remember that it was Izayoi in the very beginning who made that original thread that got a few of us into playing a game entirely in a language none of us could understand on servers on the other side of the Pacific Ocean. I know that I wouldn't have even known about this game much less have been willing to try it if it weren't for him and Arveene more than a year ago now. I will be sad if and when we lose them.

Top Bottom