• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Croll

Neo Member
Power up for the Master of Jungle.

How are the new toa in hand? I saw them on display at NYCC and thought they looked pretty good. Packed away somewhere in storage I have ever major toa team except for the second set of gladiatorans (I think that's what they were called) - the last ones to be released. I also have all the baddies that came in the canisters with the exception of the vizorak (again, not sure if that was the name). Really glad that they brought back the line. So many memories of bringing my bohrok and toa mata to school and battling them.

How are the new toa in hand? I saw them on display at NYCC and thought they looked pretty good. Packed away somewhere in storage I have ever major toa team except for the second set of gladiatorans (I think that's what they were called) - the last ones to be released. I also have all the baddies that came in the canisters with the exception of the vizorak (again, not sure if that was the name). Really glad that they brought back the line. So many memories of bringing my bohrok and toa mata to school and battling them.

They're fun sets, but I think we should be talking about Bionicle in the LEGO thread.

Wanderer5

Overall I like the new toas and protector, through I not that big of a fan of how the chestpiece and mask are attached. They snap on but can have a bit of a loose feeling, and the head can be a hassle to move around, not only due to the mask but also that transparent piece in the head that moves upward easily.:/

And Bionicles are action figures, so really I think they should count here too.*shrugs*

Ryuuroden

They're fun sets, but I think we should be talking about Bionicle in the LEGO thread.

I would like to see more talk about Bionicle there. I have seen some really amazing customs and I know there are people on Gaf who do some cool stuff. Maybe they just don't know there is a LEGO community thread. Personally I don't do bionicle on its own but I use parts from the sets in my LEGO builds

NateDog

It's entirely possible that they're legit, but they did get their own name wrong at the top of the site:

isiOjAZWcOyxU.jpg

lol

Hm... They're in Hong Kong.

Deary me, perhaps I should hope for elsewhere, but it's the only place I can find with it for an affordable price. Can't find reviews either for them. I shall continue a search.

Wanderer5

I would like to see more talk about Bionicle there. I have seen some really amazing customs and I know there are people on Gaf who do some cool stuff. Maybe they just don't know there is a LEGO community thread. Personally I don't do bionicle on its own but I use parts from the sets in my LEGO builds

Eh I rather post here and the figure OT than there, cause I not really into lego much anymore outside of Bionicle lol, which again are very articulated. Through I thought a Bionicle OT was in the works.

Flintty

Might want to quote your pictures so they don't take up so much space.

Also I'm considering purchasing this. Weird, since it's not a Hot Toys, it's a Sideshow Collectible, but it's articulated which is more of a Hot Toys thing.

Fair comment - they were huge! I've done a 75% resize.

That SS Deadpool! I have him on order, he's gonna be awesome :)

Below are some photos of my Legends and Hot Toys collection :)

Marvel Legends - These are rather Deadpool/X-Force focused - DP is my favourite :)
u5QNTn0.jpg

FmxKmAa.jpg

GaFKBGV.jpg

Edit - Resize.

Ugh, I regret passing on that Skull...

I do have a question, where can I get a Vespa like that for my Deadpool? I've been meaning to ask someone every time I see their DPs on it.

As a collector, I'm over the thrill of the hunt in stores. I did that for years and now love getting toys in the mail. The best mail though arrives on Sundays. Thanks Amazon/USPS.

I got SH Figuarts Injustice Joker today. Such a sick figure making what I think is a crappy design look amazing.

Since we're posting collections, I'll post mine:

Marvel Legends:
Winter Soldier

Black Cat

Electro

Superior Spider-Man

Amazing Spider-Man

Beetle

Carnage

Ultimate Green Goblin

MCU Iron Patriot

Iron Man Mark XLII

Bleeding Edge Iron Man

Iron Patriot

Ultron

Classic Iron Man

Iron Monger

Now the ones that aren't Marvel Legends:
Bandai ThunderCats 2011 Lion-O

SOTA Street Fighter III Ibuki and Don

My one Figma (so far):
Samus Aran

Hot Toys Iron Man Mark XLII

I've also got Hot Toys Scar Predator, and some Doctor Who figures, but I don't have pictures of them, and I don't want to tonight.

I do have a question, where can I get a Vespa like that for my Deadpool? I've been meaning to ask someone every time I see their DPs on it.
Yeah, I need a Vespa for my Hasbro Deadpool. Thing can barely stand.
Are Marvel Select and Marvel Legends the same size? Any difference in quality? Do they look OK together?
Marvel Select are lime an inch taller, I think. Much better than Legends if you want a large character like Hulk or Juggernaut, if you want them to tower over your ML.

Sobriquet

Marvel Select are lime an inch taller, I think. Much better than Legends if you want a large character like Hulk or Juggernaut, if you want them to tower over your ML.

Cool, thanks. I'm mainly interested in Legends but I want a yellow/brown Wolverine which seems to be Select-only. I'm afraid he'll tower over Legends, which would just be wrong.

Rootbeer

Banned
Marvel Select is good for larger-than-human characters a lot of times. But you have to judge on a per-figure basis.

I wish they'd went with a true 1/12 scale though, I'm not a fan of 7" scale or other weird scales (like Play Arts)

As a collector, I'm over the thrill of the hunt in stores. I did that for years and now love getting toys in the mail. The best mail though arrives on Sundays. Thanks Amazon/USPS.

I got SH Figuarts Injustice Joker today. Such a sick figure making what I think is a crappy design look amazing.

Can't wait for the Harley Quinn

taoofjord

Yeah, that looks awesome! Nice!

How are the Walking Dead TV series figures? I wanna build up a collection of regular people wearing regular ass clothes with GUNS. Something I'm kinda fond for lately in the sea of super fantastical stuff you usually get with action figures.

It's great to see this thread, hope the community thrives!

Flintty

I got my vespa off ebay. I just searched for 1:12 red vespa and it came up, £8 ish :)

Are Marvel Select and Marvel Legends the same size? Any difference in quality? Do they look OK together?

My Select is about 8" tall, he looks much larger than my Legends. He's a great looking figure but the articulation is poor in comparison to Legends.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well guys... I recently received a boost in my Credit so... it's really tempting to put a bunch of hot toys on order. I think I should just say "screw it" and pre-order Vader, Chewie and Han... I'm tempted to go with some Avengers and/or GotG stuff too but I just know it's beyond my means (and space) to collect everything. It's just hard to decide since I love so many things. :)

For Marvel stuff I'll always have Marvel Legends which are going really strong right now, so whatever happens I'll still be getting a nice selection of stuff that's hitting the market.

How are the Walking Dead TV series figures? I wanna build up a collection of regular people wearing regular ass clothes with GUNS. Something I'm kinda fond for lately in the sea of super fantastical stuff you usually get with action figures.

It's great to see this thread, hope the community thrives!

like any figure like what i'd suggest is spending some time looking at youtube reviews because that will give you a much better idea than a wall of text. But IMO I'll say that I like them, sometimes the likenesses are really good, and they do a nice job on the sculpting and paint for the size that they are at.

You will hear some complaints about joint problems, specifically breakage at times, but I wouldn't hold that against this line -- unfortunately it is a problem across a LOT of action figure lines and McFarlane isn't a whole lot worse than any other line. But that's just my experience!

I plan on picking up the upcoming comic book Carl and a few more of the TV show figures. I mainly only buy the characters that I like, which means I'll automatically get every Rick, Carl and Michonne with a spotty selection of the other characters.

Not really. There are some collectors that try to display them together and use different poses to obscure their difference but they don't really work in one display.

Marvel Legends is 1:12 scale and Marvel Select is 1:10 scale. Some figures are "screwed up" in each series and thus compatible size wise with the other, but even than proportions look all wrong.

I'll try to get a pic of a few figures up tomorrow that feature the same character in the same outfig in both series if you are interest.

Marvel Legends is great to build teams and get a nice looking team of X-Men or Avengers on your shelves.

In most cases the Marvel Select figures are built and painted way better. But you can't hope to finish a team with them (especially if you want them in matching uniforms).

Sobriquet

Not really. There are some collectors that try to display them together and use different poses to obscure their difference but they don't really work in one display.

Marvel Legends is 1:12 scale and Marvel Select is 1:10 scale. Some figures are "screwed up" in each series and thus compatible size wise with the other, but even than proportions look all wrong.

I'll try to get a pic of a few figures up tomorrow that feature the same character in the same outfig in both series if you are interest.

Marvel Legends is great to build teams and get a nice looking team of X-Men or Avengers on your shelves.

In most cases the Marvel Select figures are built and painted way better. But you can't hope to finish a team with them (especially if you want them in matching uniforms).

Thanks for the detailed response; I appreciate it

curb

Banned
Had some time to take a few pics of my meager desk collection.

Today's Captain Marvel plus the Amazing Spider-Man I already had from the Marvel Legends line
img_20150201_182958.jpg

My Mass Effect 3 Tali
img_20150201_183924.jpg

This is a Kingdom Hearts 2 Play Arts (I think) that my wife got me years ago
img_20150201_183804.jpg

Some cheap Optimus Prime I got off ebay.
img_20150201_183959.jpg

Finally, the only thing that really belongs here is the Legends Superior Spider-Man but I'll take any chance I can get to show off the potted Groot my sister made me for Christmas
img_20150201_183555.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Nice stuff curb!

See you got yourself a Captain Marvel ahead of me, drat! I'm pretty excited about opening up that wave. I hope it ships out soon.

Thanks for all the continued pics all!

curb

Banned
Nice stuff curb!

See you got yourself a Captain Marvel ahead of me, drat! I'm pretty excited about opening up that wave. I hope it ships out soon.

Thanks for all the continued pics all!

It's a start. You people are damned enablers.

Rootbeer

Banned
Really dig this Avengers setup. Wish I had that Hulk. Hoping the AoU Hulk is a passable alternative. And I don't understand why Hasbro doesn't re-release that Cap mold... it's probably the best comic cap figure they've done yet they keep releasing the other molds :( WHY!

10954208_10105697759855450_8289702571800734430_o.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
interesting...

I already own 3 versions of Guts in figma form though, do I really need another T__T

guess we'll find out

On the figma though, this one being my fav. I remember people thinking they would reissue it without the manga... I don't think that ever happened. Really glad I bought it while it was for pre-order

a1f676969f454daa0aea2ac75a1b0832.jpg

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
interesting...

I already own 3 versions of Guts in figma form though, do I really need another T__T

guess we'll find out

On the figma though, this one being my fav. I remember people thinking they would reissue it without the manga... I don't think that ever happened. Really glad I bought it while it was for pre-order

I own the 5 Berserk Figma's (with my eye on all the god hand ones that are next to come out), and the Medicom Band of the Hawk Guts.

I've got the upcoming Medicom Blackswordsman Guts on pre-order, and I was planning on trying to get the 2 GSC statues if I don't get priced out of them, but now that threezero is throwing their hat into the ring, the statues might be out of the question, I don't need a shrine... (though if I was going to have one Berserk would be it)

I can imagine threezero doing Berserker Armor Guts. Femto and the Skull Knight more then anything else. I can also see it being another 3 years before they release a figure though.

LosDaddie

Banned
Couple pics of the office swag:

Diamond Select mini-bust

With my G1 Optimus Prime

I try to keep the office swag as minimal as possible. So for now, it's just those 2 figures and pics of the family.

Not happy to see people are already breaking in with asshole attitudes of "I am better than they are" People who don't collect action figures look at that hobby as weird too so nerds being judgmental about other nerds is asinine. This thread wasn't formed for you to talk shit about other peoples interest. It was for you to have a place for your own interests that you felt did not get enough attention even though they were totally welcome. From what I've seen so far, there are far less judgmental people in the original thread. Those of you who are being all judgmental need to shape up or shut up. We don't need holier than thou attitudes in any hobby, its destructive and alienating. You will just chase away people who have multiple interests which is the majority of hobbyists. Just my two cents if you want this thread to have the potential it can have.

vMDbjjR.jpg

interesting...

guess we'll find out

You are a man full of surprises I'd never imagine you were a Berserk fan, I have all the Berserk related figures from Figma and they are indeed amazing, Berserker armour Guts is the holy grail and indeed the most difficult to get, I paid a lot for it since I missed out on the pre-orders, and yes we DO need more Berserk figures, God Hand Figmas have been in prototype form since forever they need to be released pronto. I am paying for an Articulated Skull Knight Figma too with horse et all.

Rootbeer

Banned
You are a man full of surprises I'd never imagine you were a Berserk fan
That's amusing to hear, you just never know what lurks inside someone's darkest heart do you? :p

I'm a fairly recent fan actually... only since about 2012.

But yes I own 5 Berserk figma as well
band of the hawk guts
berserk armor guts
black soldier guts
Griffith
Casca

Griffith was actually my first figma!

I have a lot of Attack on Titan figma and all of the Nintendo figma. I plan on buying any nintendo figma they product so I'm hoping there's a lot more in the future.

For nendoroid i'm a bit more selective, but Wind Waker Link is excellent.

Which brand is good for metal gear solid figures? I've seen playarts kai and revoltech and they all seems off in some way, figmas solid snake from mgs2 is the first one I felt look really good, but they didn't seem to hace other characters.

Cyborg ninja revoltech also looks great, but I don't like the face of other revoltech mgs figure.

Also, what's a good metal gear rex figures that is not super expensive?

Rootbeer

Banned
meh looks like something I'll be able to pass on

LOL!

Sorry I should have been a bit more informative... i'm still tired. And a lot of these blogs don't allow image hotlinking so i'd have to rehost the images to link them... damn them to hell, i shouldn't even give clicks to sites like that

Yeah it's a weird super deformed look. I think they are trying to get in on the Funko action, only at a higher tier of quality

LOL!

Sorry I should have been a bit more informative... i'm still tired. And a lot of these blogs don't allow image hotlinking so i'd have to rehost the images to link them... damn them to hell, i shouldn't even give clicks to sites like that

Yeah it's a weird super deformed look. I think they are trying to get in on the Funko action, only at a higher tier of quality
Here, from Hot Toys Facebook.
1801294_10152594258102344_4092534539098218823_o.jpg

Anybody have any experience with Bandai's Code Geass stuff? I'm only halfway through the first season but I'm already hooked. I've been eyeing up the Figuarts Lelouch and the Robot Damashii Lancelot

hHrohWI.jpg

ctjAi5g.jpg

Enron

Banned
I remember the bigass WWII planes you could buy at TrU about 10-15 years ago that would fit a 6" or so action figure (Heroes of Valor or some shit, can't remember). I am kicking myself over not buying them when i had the chance, those things were super cool.

Before, you could get THIS

Now you can only get this

98c5b9e7be9f734eee431e662db2397b.jpg

Fantomex

Hi guys! Good job to those of you that contributed to the OT.

Wanted to ask, does anyone have a Giant Man BAF for sale? Ebay is outrageous right now.

I am kicking myself over not buying them when i had the chance, those things were super cool.
Im kicking myself over having all those 6" and 12" vehicles but not keeping them away from my little brother.

Specifically the 12 inch scale Little Bird which my little brother got and tossed it off our 2nd floor balcony.(which also had the old 12" MGS1 Solid Snake on it and broke his arms off)
My 12" M5 tank he did the old Axe/lighter flamethrower thing to.

Rootbeer

Banned
Hi guys! Good job to those of you that contributed to the OT.

Wanted to ask, does anyone have a Giant Man BAF for sale? Ebay is outrageous right now.

I wouldn't sell it if I had it!!! :p So cool.

But there is rumored to be a giant man in one of these 2015 ML waves... maybe it's even a BAF? We'll see at toy fair, maybe.

Top Bottom