• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 in game images [Up: Third New Screenshot In OP]

Zeal

Banned
This is a lie, and you are aware of it. The 360 is not outputting at 1600x900 with who knows what kind of supersampling applied.

Seriously, it really doesn't reflect well on the franchise when every pre release screenshot of a Halo game has involved massive supersampling and increased resolution when compared to what we actually see in game.
That is the practical definition of a bullshot. This ridiculous marketing has been going on since the original shots of Halo 2.

I remember the Halo 3 screenshots that looks so much better than the actual game which was aliased garbage.

I'm aware, but he's lying by stating that they aren't bullshots - because they are. Who knows, maybe Halo 4 is getting some kind of PC release as well, and these are actually indicative of how it the game will actually look - but I doubt it.

Wow, talk about a backlash.

You're clearly angry because you continue to argue something that I don't think is quite contentious. I'm sorry I don't have a keen eye for these things I suppose, I'm sorry it's probably been about a year since I dropped a Halo game in my Xbox, like most people who aren't Halo maniacs (which, if you think really hard about it, might be one of the reasons why I have difficulty with this). I came to the defense of someone who made a valid point and you just kept it going. Maybe after this post though you'll have a magical epiphany and realize that not every one can tell all those games apart. Or maybe not and you can keep posting your hilarious over reaction gifs and Halo stills and I can keep saying the same thing over and over again.

Basically whats happening here is Non-halo fans are not paying enough attention because they simply dont care and cant spot what .. and lets be honest about this are pretty large differences between the games both in tone and actual graphic fidelity, but instead of coming out and saying ... Look i dont play much and i cant really tell you which image is different they are saying "duh looks the same hurp"

And halo fans who do take the time and are well versed in the graphical difference are getting pretty angry about it because they people who objectively dont have the necessary knowledge to make a statement such as "duh looks the same hurp" are talking shit about things that neither concern them or they know about.

You're clearly angry because you continue to argue something that I don't think is quite contentious. I'm sorry I don't have a keen eye for these things I suppose, I'm sorry it's probably been about a year since I dropped a Halo game in my Xbox, like most people who aren't Halo maniacs (which, if you think really hard about it, might be one of the reasons why I have difficulty with this). I came to the defense of someone who made a valid point and you just kept it going. Maybe after this post though you'll have a magical epiphany and realize that not every one can tell all those games apart. Or maybe not and you can keep posting your hilarious over reaction gifs and Halo stills and I can keep saying the same thing over and over again.

Fan of series defends series in topic about said series. News at 11.

Also, didn't I specifically say that it shouldn't be hard to tell the difference between the games for most Halo fans? And that if you can't tell the difference, it's an issue with you rather than the games? Pretty sure I did.

So like you said, you're a fan of the series, haven't played in a while, don't have an eye for detail...and the guy you're defending doesn't seem like he's a fan of the series at all.

Sooooo, what's the issue here?

Zeal

Banned
LOL, the next time people post screenshots of PS3 games that are above 1080p I expect him to call them bullshit too.

C'mon, we are all aware that every single company does the exact same thing here. All we need is some footage of the game running and all of this will become irrelevant.

I was strictly talking about the suit design. Color choice, material, etc. I didn't care for that much for the teaser. Super bumpy, ugly brown-ish color, immensely shiny. But like I just said in the above reply, the Mark VI is my favorite armor set.

I have to say I'm intrigued by the things on the new Chief's forearms, do we have any idea what they are at the moment?

Margalis

Banned
I don't really get why anyone would go out of their way to say these are not bullshots when they obviously are.

Then again, I remember Bungie denying that Halo 3 was sub-HD, then finally copping to it by calling the people who did the pixel counting nerds and claiming that because it used a variety of intermediate buffers it was in some way higher than HD res...

pakkit

Banned
If you're defining higher-rez as "bullshots," then EVERY SINGLE SCREENSHOT EVER GIVEN TO PRINT is a bullshot.

CCF23

Also, didn't I specifically say that it shouldn't be hard to tell the difference between the games for most Halo fans? And that if you can't tell the difference, it's an issue with you rather than the games? Pretty sure I did.

So like you said, you're a fan of the series, haven't played in a while, don't have an eye for detail...and the guy you're defending doesn't seem like he's a fan of the series at all.

Pretty sure this is where the problem lies. The original statement was that to someone who enjoys Halo, but isn't in love with it, it's hard to tell the difference visually between the games. There have been small improvements along the way, sure, but it certianly isn't wrong to suggest that the series over the current generation of consoles hasn't exactly re-invented the wheel graphically. Is it really that hard to understand that the small improvements that Halo fanatics will easily spot can also be easily overlooked by the vast majority of people that will enjoy a Halo game, play some multiplayer, but eventually tire of it and move on and not sink hours upon hours into it?

I usually assume most people have given up trying to come up with some kind of argument when they start highlighting words and repeating what I say, so I guess there isn't any issue other than you just can't help but hit that cute little reply button. So let me just sum up, once more, as simply as I can, what I'm trying to say: The average duder who buys his Halos and puts it in his Xbox and plays it through once or twice and perhaps dabbles in the multiplayer for a bit before dropping it has difficulty telling the games apart from just screenshots. That's all he was trying to say, that's all I'm trying to say and that's all that I really think needs to be said. I also say it with extreme confidence because I happen to be an average Halo duder. But please, hit the reply button again. I've already copied and pasted some words around so it looks like I'll be saying something else, but I'll once again be saying the same exact fucking thing I've been repeating for 5 posts now.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

It's a pretty common troll to say that (new Halo) looks like (last Halo), which if were true these shots would look like they're from 2001 and Halo 1.

the game very obviously progresses in both style and quality.

Gattsu25

Banned
If you're defining higher-rez as "bullshots," then EVERY SINGLE SCREENSHOT EVER GIVEN TO PRINT is a bullshot.

I agree. Only an idiot would argue that.

However, when someone claims that an image is "100% untouched" that changes things, a bit. That indicates that not even the usual PR image quality improvements are present

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Ya and I think it was assumed so that's why he said, "100% untouched" Unless it runs at that res but judging from the thread that seems unlikely.

I can't wait until we get some gameplay. Graphics talk is the worst.

Not too far away now!

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Probably been asked, but how far away is that? I got a big day ahead of me tomorrow, but I don't mind running on little sleep if I get to see Halo 4 in motion.

It's just over 4 hours from now so you can make some room for a nice 3-4 hour nap before waking up to see :)

Fracas

#fuckonami
I think the first Halo 4 screens are important; I'm just wondering why they chose the least impressive.

What? The 1st (the darker) picture, I can maybe understand, but you have to admit the 2nd one looks pretty good.
And with that post, I am off to bed for the longest 4 1/2 hour nap of my life

szaromir

Banned
I usually assume most people have given up trying to come up with some kind of argument when they start highlighting words and repeating what I say, so I guess there isn't any issue other than you just can't help but hit that cute little reply button. So let me just sum up, once more, as simply as I can, what I'm trying to say: The average duder who buys his Halos and puts it in his Xbox and plays it through once or twice and perhaps dabbles in the multiplayer for a bit before dropping it has difficulty telling the games apart from just screenshots. That's all he was trying to say, that's all I'm trying to say and that's all that I really think needs to be said. I also say it with extreme confidence because I happen to be an average Halo duder. But please, hit the reply button again. I've already copied and pasted some words around so it looks like I'll be saying something else, but I'll once again be saying the same exact fucking thing I've been repeating for 5 posts now.
Killzone 3 looks like Killzone 2.
Uncharted 3 looks like Uncharted 2.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 looks like Super Mario Galaxy 1.
FIFA 12 looks like FIFA 11.

Now that we established sequels resemble their predecessors, could you please find some other thread to troll?

Gattsu25

Banned
I think the first Halo 4 screens are important; I'm just wondering why they chose the least impressive.

They chose these because they show the improvements to the Master Chief(?) player model and... not much else. Reduces chances that discerning fans can deduce too many spoilers because it doesnt give any away.

It's a pretty common troll to say that (new Halo) looks like (last Halo), which if were true these shots would look like they're from 2001 and Halo 1.

the game very obviously progresses in both style and quality.

I would consider it a troll if it's followed by a "DURP DURP DURP". I am, however, genuinely anticipating this game, but am pointing out certain facts that some people are unwilling to accept.

And not only that, it's a fucking screen shot, not gameplay video. You show me fucking video of any two Halo games and I'll tell you which one is which. I'll also get wet in my pants if it happens to be footage of 4 since I kind of would like to play that game soon.

This whole "argument" is stupid and some people are just very protective of their favourite series.

I'm also personally in disbelief that I've somehow started backwards trolling a thread for a series I actually enjoy. So I'll just stop now. My points still stand. They're absolutely stupid points that weren't worth an argument, but some people just can't let some things go. Myself included.

Izayoi

Banned
The guy claimed they were "100% untouched" which implies that's what the game will look like while we're playing it, which is obviously a lie. Why are people defending him?

derFeef

I like the fact that the chief now looks more heavy than in the other games. They nailed the metal shader/rendering really well.

def sim

The average duder who buys his Halos and puts it in his Xbox and plays it through once or twice and perhaps dabbles in the multiplayer for a bit before dropping it has difficulty telling the games apart from just screenshots. That's all he was trying to say, that's all I'm trying to say and that's all that I really think needs to be said.[/I]

Once again, context is what's important here. The original complaint was towards the poster who claimed Halo 4 looks just like all the others, judging by the two shots featuring only Master Chief. That could very well be true, but we don't know that simply from the shots provided. Of course Master Chief looks like Master Chief. He made a bold statement without essentially seeing the entire game yet.

You guys are arguing about something else and I'm guessing one or both of you strawman'd each other into it.

In the argument you two are having, you're right. As for the original issue, no, that poster is wrong.

TheOddOne

The guy claimed they were "100% untouched" which implies that's what the game will look like while we're playing it, which is obviously a lie. Why are people defending him?
I'll take the guy working for 343 before some anonymous poster on the interwebs.

wwm0nkey

Much crow will be eaten when they come out and say its native 1600x900.

lol
Honestly if they somehow managed that I will be impressed. Still I do not care if its 720p like Reach because Reach looked just fine and the 360 does a pretty damn good job at upscale.

Raide

I like the fact that the chief now looks more heavy than in the other games. They nailed the metal shader/rendering really well.

Did they mention recently that they wanted to Chief to look and feel like he is several tonnes of killer metal? Will be fun to see how that works out. The chance to launch off a building and crater some Grunt might be too much for me to handle. :D

Anteater

Well he did say they were taken at a higher resolution in another post, so he probably didn't take resolution into consideration when he responded, as they're taken for print purposes.

Killzone 3 looks like Killzone 2.
Uncharted 3 looks like Uncharted 2.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 looks like Super Mario Galaxy 1.
FIFA 12 looks like FIFA 11.

Now that we established sequels resemble their predecessors, could you please find some other thread to troll?

That wasn't really the argument here. I said earlier saying "It looks like Halo" is fine. It does look like a Halo game. The issue I had is that the original guy TemplaerDude was defending came in here, said that all the Halo games this gen look the same and that he can't tell them apart, and basically left the thread shortly after that. No attempt to even back up what he was saying.

It would be like going into a Gears 3 thread, looking at screenshots of that, and saying "This looks just like Gears 1. Wtf are you guys on about?" To people that have actually invested time in the series, that statement is clearly not true.

Izayoi

Banned
Well he did say they were taken at a higher resolution in another post, so he probably didn't take resolution into consideration when he responded, as they're taken for print purposes.
Ah, I must've missed that post then. I think he should probably edit his original if that's the case.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

I feel like the 343 employee assumed everyone knew it wasn't running at that resolution and so the 100% untouched probably referred to effects, touch ups and things of that nature. But whatever, doesn't even matter. My eyes say that these screen shots look awesome.

Reminds me of this early (or was it one of the first?) Halo 3 pictures:

360-halo3-021010-07.jpg

Looks ok.

EvB

PR shot not in game resolution horror!

People are just blowing it way out of proportion AGAIN. Didn't we go through this whole hullabaloo in 2007 when the Halo 3 screenshots that were also "100% untouched"?

100% untouched but came out of the in game screenshot rendering fandango.

The next horror to be outraged at is that the game runs at sub HD resolutions!

OH NOES!

Top Bottom