• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

But I do need mark I materials to upgrade an item, don't I?
The materials count for some of my new weapons is red, indicating I need more of them.
Like Splinter said, you can skip the upgrade but it does cost more scrap.

If you can find a reclamation buddy you can earn more scrap.

Snagret

What do you guys feel about Single-rigged vs Heavy Duty?
Heavy Duty all the way. Interrupts for days.

That said I prefer the faster weapons generally, namely twin rigged and staff. I like that I can switch between different weapon types without gimping my progression or having to grind too much for upgrade mats, so I end up using all three in relatively even variation.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm in the second area and those sword wielding guys are murderising me, is there a decent place to grind a few levels around here?

pa22word

I'm in the second area and those sword wielding guys are murderising me, is there a decent place to grind a few levels around here?

Grinding isn't going to help. Unlike souls, this game doesn't tie any base statistics to leveling up. Leveling up in this game just gives you more Core Power to allocate for heavier (not *better*) armor or more implants.

If you want it to be easier on you then you either need to reevaluate your implant set up (more health and endurance boosts over fancy stuff), level up/change your armor, or level up/change your weapon.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Grinding isn't going to help. Unlike souls, this game doesn't tie any base statistics to leveling up. Leveling up in this game just gives you more Core Power to allocate for heavier (not *better*) armor or more implants.

If you want it to be easier on you then you either need to reevaluate your implant set up (more health and endurance boosts over fancy stuff), level up/change your armor, or level up/change your weapon.

I was actually looking to grind for upgrade materials to bring everything up to level 2. Does increasing core power not give any health/stamina benefits at all?

pa22word

I was actually looking to grind for upgrade materials to bring everything up to level 2.

Well, in Central Production there's 4 security guards chilling around that you can kill by chopping off their right arm that should nail you enough mk3 material to level up a weapon.

As far as mk2 though...pretty sure the zombies in the back half of your first trek through Central Production in the Toxic Waste area all drop mk2. Should be pretty easy to sit back and kill 3-4 of them and get some mk2 stuff.

Does increasing core power not give any health/stamina benefits at all?

Nope. It's all tied to implants. Some implants scale with core power, but alone leveling up doesn't actually do anything to your build.

pa22word

Do enemies ever stop respawning (like in Dark Souls 2?) when visiting a Med Ops?

na

You can even game the spawn system by going to the crafting machine and dumping your scrap to keep your multiplier going while respawning all enemies.

The way the multiplier and implant restoration system works in conjunction with it makes grinding out scrap super duper easy. I imagine this is why the pulled stats from core power otherwise it'd be too easy to just level yourself into a God even by the end of the first level.

Markitron

Well, in Central Production there's 4 security guards chilling around that you can kill by chopping off their right arm that should nail you enough mk3 material to level up a weapon.

Nope. It's all tied to implants. Some implants scale with core power, but alone leveling up doesn't actually do anything to your build.

Ah right, thanks.

bati

The way the multiplier and implant restoration system works in conjunction with it makes grinding out scrap super duper easy. I imagine this is why the pulled stats from core power otherwise it'd be too easy to just level yourself into a God even by the end of the first level.

Nah, in LOTF you could finish the entire game without using estus or resting if you played with cleric magic. In the end you're still dealing with diminishing returns on stats and more importantly, time investment for heavy grinds. It's just not worth it, much like in Souls games.

derFeef

Wow Area 2 is kicking my ass. I upgraded to full Rhino and the PAX weapon to MKII now. Gona need to upgrade my Armor as well, whew...

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
They're essentially the same. I prefer heavy duty though, the spin combo is devastating.

The H,H,V combo? That looks nuts.

I just found the Bloodhound, so I'm trying to decide now.

I die so much, my single-rig is level 16 in area 2, I guess I'll give heavy duty some run, see if I like it.

derFeef

I am confused about upgrading right now. How do I know what MKlevel of scrap I will get? Because I tried for at least an hour now to get MKII materials in Area 2 for the Rhino armor but nothing is dropping. I have some materials but not enough so I sure did get some before.

Block and counter.

Tried that a bit, works,... if it works ;)

I'm still playing lol I said I would stop after NG+ but I can't, too good. Lynx plus Volatile Spectre is godlike. Firebug Throttle v2 is also really good, maybe not as good as Claws of the Gestalt but close, plus looks way better :)

What is the max implant slots you can have?

Also it would be nice if Deck 13 could add more colors for rigs and outfits.

K.Jack

I am confused about upgrading right now. How do I know what MKlevel of scrap I will get? Because I tried for at least an hour now to get MKII materials in Area 2 for the Rhino armor but nothing is dropping. I have some materials but not enough so I sure did get some before.
You can farm that hallway, with the 4 guys in Scarab armor.

The room with the 2 berzerkers and the Injection refill, they are wearing Scarab also.

derFeef

You can farm that hallway, with the 4 guys in Scarab armor.

The room with the 2 berzerkers and the Injection refill, they are wearing Scarab also.

I tried, but nothing drops. Honestly it feels like a bug?
At least I got a lot of scrap, heh... but yeah, kinda sucks.

It has to drop, if you cut off the piece with the armor on it, it will recycle to the material. Otherwise you need to progress and find other enemies with better materials.

pa22word

I'm still playing lol I said I would stop after NG+ but I can't, too good. Lynx plus Volatile Spectre is godlike. Firebug Throttle v2 is also really good, maybe not as good as Claws of the Gestalt but close, plus looks way better :)

What is the max implant slots you can have?

Also it would be nice if Deck 13 could add more colors for rigs and outfits.

I haven't played since ng++, but you got new implant slots through the end of that.

DrSlek

You can skip a stage with the right analogue stick.

It's quite costly in scrap though

This is very good to know. Given that the enemies in R&D have metric boatloads of scrap, I don't think that should be an issue.

Edit, The hoverbots in the service tunnels were quite annoying until I figured out the wombocombo that kills them quickly. Pax Imperator 2.0 equipped. 2x Slide attack>vertical attack. They chain together very quickly, and make short work of the bots. They don't even have a chance to strike back most of the time.

K.Jack

Man Heavy Duty is great, though I really miss the Single-rigged's godlike slide attack.
That shit is almost too good.

Even when you legitimately chop off armor, you're never getting broken parts?

Man Heavy Duty is great, though I really miss the Single-rigged's godlike slide attack.
That shit is almost too good.

I don't believe it. Every piece I chopped off always has material. Unless he is thinking the actual material should drop. Pieces get recycled to materials.

Just throwing it out there. I have an interview with the devs during E3. If there's any questions or something you want me to bounce off em, let me know.

Wow, I didn't even know this game was a thing until today. It completely flew under my radar. Definitely interested in picking this up, now. I had a blast with Lords of the Fallen.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just throwing it out there. I have an interview with the devs during E3. If there's any questions or something you want me to bounce off em, let me know.

I'd love to hear more about the level design in general. We don't get a lot of action games with level design this dense and labyrinthian much in this day and age and I love to hear about the thought process behind designing it, the clever short cuts and what not.

Impossible, you can attack only one part at the time, if you switch them during fight and the new selected part won't get enough damage before you cut it off you won't get anything.

Before you start a fight select one yellow part, only damage that one part till you can cut it off. Let's say it was an arm, once you cut it off it will drop actuall arm piece, not material. It will be converted to materials at the upgrade station.

If you highlight a part of enemy and it's blue then you won't get anything as that part doesn't have an armor on it, weapons are the exception here as blue weapon arm will drop the actual materials. Only yellow parts can drop pieces of equipment.

renzolama

Its really just those fucking cybercat things. Once you get good at dodging their lunges and learn that they'll punish the shit outta you if you show even an ounce of greed, they're pretty manageable.

Also pretty sure they are weak to thrust, fwiw

These things are infuriating. The aggro range + open level design in the area they're introduced in + nature of their giant gap-closing lunge attacks + incredibly high damage is making progress through that area a nightmare. I'm really not a fan of the way the game design enforces difficulty in some scenarios by simply making enemies fully "armored" and requiring 5x as many attacks to chip them down. It's not even that they're that difficult to defeat, it's that the combat with them is tedious as hell to do repeatedly and far more punishing in multiple enemy encounters.

Edit: I'll try swapping to some less committing weapons, it seems like the PAX might not be a great choice due to the long animations when you need to hit and run

Edit: I'll try swapping to some less committing weapons, it seems like the PAX might not be a great choice due to the long animations when you need to hit and run

That might work. I got down their pattern (there really isn't a whole lot of variance to what they actually do) and had very little problem with them using a twin-rig setup.

pa22word

On the leaping scorpion bots just target their tail and do a counter when they try and sting you. You'll immediately knock their tail off if you've got an aptly leveled weapon, after that just waylay them a bit while watching out for the leap.

That might work. I got down their pattern (there really isn't a whole lot of variance to what they actually do) and had very little problem with them using a twin-rig setup.

I used PAX for everything except BC and RP, they're a bit fast. I used block, then once hit, immediately pressed R1 attack. It worked 99% of the time and did a lot of damage. PAX was how I dealt with the security jumping frog robots. But I earned enough slots, I was all health boost, health injectors, endurance boost, energy decay slow and less stamina when dodging.

These things are infuriating. The aggro range + open level design in the area they're introduced in + nature of their giant gap-closing lunge attacks + incredibly high damage is making progress through that area a nightmare. I'm really not a fan of the way the game design enforces difficulty in some scenarios by simply making enemies fully "armored" and requiring 5x as many attacks to chip them down. It's not even that they're that difficult to defeat, it's that the combat with them is tedious as hell to do repeatedly and far more punishing in multiple enemy encounters.

Single-rigged weapons are not hit and run weapons. Those weapon have high enough impact to make every enemy bounce around when you hit them preventing them from hitting you back and that includes human bosses as well.

I skipped the beginning of the fight as I didn't want to spoil how to prevent Black Cerberus from calling the PAX Mechs.

https://youtu.be/d5PU-MephOs

With extra speed from Lynx and high impact from Volatile you should never get hit during combo. You're not only fast, you burn very little stamina but also hit like a truck.

K.Jack

Despite the load screen teasing it, has anyone found any real bonuses to running around with a mountain of scrap? I've been running around with like 45k on me, just to experiment, and I'm not seeing any difference.

Single-rigged weapons are not hit and run weapons. Those weapon have high enough impact to make every enemy bounce around when you hit them preventing them from hitting you back and that includes human bosses as well.

I skipped the beginning of the fight as I didn't want to spoil how to prevent Black Cerberus from calling the PAX Mechs.

https://youtu.be/d5PU-MephOs

With extra speed from Lynx and high impact from Volatile you should never get hit back, as you're not only fast, you burn very little stamina but also hit like a truck.

The full Gorgon set gives you near instant stamina regeneration. I also agree that he is using single rigged wrong. You can punch at least five times staggering a dude before jumping away.

The full Gorgon set gives you near instant stamina regeneration. I also agree that he is using single rigged wrong. You can punch at least five times staggering a dude before jumping away.

Yeah I know but Lynx is the only set in the game that gives you extra attack speed, that's why I like it so much. I also use Firebug Throttle and Spitfire Rod and extra speed helps with those weapons.

pa22word

Despite the load screen teasing it, has anyone found any real bonuses to running around with a mountain of scrap? I've been running around with like 45k on me, just to experiment, and I'm not seeing any difference.
Not that I could ever see. I was constantly running around with 2+ million scrap in ng+(+), and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Yeah I know but Lynx is the only set in the game that gives you extra attack speed, that's why I like it so much. I also use Firebug Throttle and Spitfire Rod and extra speed helps with those weapons.
Very true, he is still using single rigged wrong. I ultimately played my second playthrough with the MG Cerberus and Iron Maus, my stability was crazy high.

Very true, he is still using single rigged wrong. I ultimately played my second playthrough with the MG Cerberus and Iron Maus, my stability was crazy high.

A lot of people do really. I've seen quite a few streams where people with single-rigged weapons were using only a slide move to hit an enemy and run and then again slide in - hit and run, like wtf? It's a power weapon, you're breaking those rigs with every single hit, every single hit throws enemy of balance, why the hell would you run? lol

bati

Maybe it's a reference to the multiplier that keeps going up if you don't bank your scrap or die.

pa22word

Maybe it's a reference to the multiplier that keeps going up if you don't bank your scrap or die.
The multiplier goes up if you bank your scrap in the crafting machine though. You only lose it via visiting a medbay or refill station out in the wild.

derFeef

It has to drop, if you cut off the piece with the armor on it, it will recycle to the material. Otherwise you need to progress and find other enemies with better materials.

Yup. Tired of trying now honestly, I farmed body armor for at least an hour yesterday. I have like 4 of 9 required materials for the body armor so I did something right somehow somewhere when I came into the area, but it just is not giving me the materials anymore.

Impossible, you can attack only one part at the time, if you switch them during fight and the new selected part won't get enough damage before you cut it off you won't get anything.

Before you start a fight select one yellow part, only damage that one part till you can cut it off. Let's say it was an arm, once you cut it off it will drop actuall arm piece, not material. It will be converted to materials at the upgrade station.

If you highlight a part of enemy and it's blue then you won't get anything as that part doesn't have an armor on it, weapons are the exception here as blue weapon arm will drop the actual materials. Only yellow parts can drop pieces of equipment.

Believe me, I did that for almost an hour, just selected body armor when available, but nothing.

JayDub

No reviews in the OT, no OP "quick guide" on what kind of game this takes inspiration from (Souls), no link to review thread or a summary of a few reviews.

I learned little about the game. Trash OT.

Yup. Tired of trying now honestly, I farmed body armor for at least an hour yesterday. I have like 4 of 9 required materials for the body armor so I did something right somehow somewhere when I came into the area, but it just is not giving me the materials anymore.

Believe me, I did that for almost an hour, just selected body armor when available, but nothing.

Use the right analog stick (left and right) when you select to what MK you want to level up, you might be getting higher or lower MK materials. You can skip MK if you have required materials. And just to make sure, every time you select the body part you do actually cut it off with prompt square button right? If it's not it or wrong MK mats then I have no idea.

Also tell me what zone are you in and what Mk upgrade are you trying to make.

Edit: I've seen it at the top of the page. There are only few enemies in Zone two that have MKIII gear on them and you have to make sure that the ones you are killing are the ones wearing MKIII gear. You can find a few Scarab and Liquidator enemies in zone 2 but as I said there are only few of them. It doesn't make sense to farm MKIII gear in zone 2 as you can get ton of MKIII gear in Zone 3.

Darkone

I am in the second are and explored most of it i think and i am using the one handed saw weapon, the two handed ones are slower on attack speed.

cant seem to block and counter, when i block the health just goes down.

derFeef

Use the right analog stick (left and right) when you select to what MK you want to level up, you might be getting higher or lower MK materials. You can skip MK if you have required materials. And just to make sure, every time you select the body part you do actually cut it off with prompt square button right? If it's not it or wrong MK mats then I have no idea.

Also tell me what zone are you in and what Mk upgrade are you trying to make.

Edit: I've seen it at the top of the page. There are only few enemies in Zone two that have MKIII gear on them and you have to make sure that the ones you are killing are the ones wearing MKIII gear. You can find a few Scarab and Liquidator enemies in zone 2 but as I said there are only few of them. It doesn't make sense to farm MKIII gear in zone 2 as you can get ton of MKIII gear in Zone 3.

Trying to get MKII in Area 2 :)
The regular (hammer and those blade enemies) should drop MKII materials, no? There are a few that do not have body armor but most of them do. I did not make it very far in and have not met other enemies yet - so like I said above, I got some MKII materials so I did something right I think.

I am in the second are and explored most of it i think and i am using the one handed saw weapon, the two handed ones are slower on attack speed.

Block, when an attack hits your block, do an attack. It depends on the weapon with which attack you will perform an counter.

DrSlek

Taking damage while blocking depends on the type of attack being used. The running leap attack some enemies do will just break your block. Might be able to be parried though...can you parry in this game?

Anyway, I've just begun running into Proteus enemies in R&D. Blocking their attacks has been incredibly useful. Prior to now I've barely bothered blocking attacks. Dodging has always been more practical.

Darkone

Taking damage while blocking depends on the type of attack being used. The running leap attack some enemies do will just break your block. Might be able to be parried though...can you parry in this game?

Anyway, I've just begun running into Proteus enemies in R&D. Blocking their attacks has been incredibly useful. Prior to now I've barely bothered blocking attacks. Dodging has always been more practical.

I am always dodging as well but those fucks with the staff are all over the place with their attacks, it have a far reach that is the problem.

Just got an update on PS4 300something MB.
Version 1.03

Nooo, looks like I fucked up the Irina side quests.
She wanted that gorgon set, but i had not enough materials to craft everything.
So I just went ahead and defeated
Black Cerberus

I had all materials now, crafted the gorgon stuff, but now she is gone.

Aytumious

Banned
Trying to get MKII in Area 2 :)
The regular (hammer and those blade enemies) should drop MKII materials, no? There are a few that do not have body armor but most of them do. I did not make it very far in and have not met other enemies yet - so like I said above, I got some MKII materials so I did something right I think.

No. Those enemies drop the MKI materials. There are only a handful of enemies that drop MKII in area two. The enemies you are looking for wear the scarab armor. For the MKII you already have, IIRC you find some as loot in the early game so you probably didn't get them from any of the enemies you have killed.

derFeef

No. Those enemies drop the MKI materials. There are only a handful of enemies that drop MKII in area two. The enemies you are looking for wear the scarab armor. For the MKII you already have, IIRC you find some as loot in the early game so you probably didn't get them from any of the enemies you have killed.

That solves the whole mystery, thank you very much.

Top Bottom