• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2017 (May 15 - May 21)

Mory Dunz

PREDICTION LEAGUE JUNE 2017

[PS4] Tekken 7 (25 days) - 130k
[NSW] Seiken Densetsu Collection (25 days) - 50k
[NSW] Arms (10 days) -150k

Passose

Banned
just rewatched the Yokai Watch theme song on Level 5's channel, it's currently at nearly 145 million views, if only Level 5 can do such a miracle like that once again :p

Yagami_Sama

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from May 29 to Jun 25):

[PS4] Tekken 7 (25 days) - 114.976
[NSW] Seiken Densetsu Collection (25 days) - 37.090
[NSW] Arms (10 days) - 218.876

Deku89

[PS4] Tekken 7 (25 days) - 105k
[NSW] Seiken Densetsu Collection (25 days) - 35k
[NSW] Arms (10 days) - 145k

mugwhump

The reasoning I see for holding back stock for game releases is to get more people into the store to buy the newer game, especially for a game like ARMS.

They are more likely to buy the new game with the system when they buy it than if they buy the system a couple weeks earlier.

Hmmm, that's solid reasoning. But does it really outweigh the benefits of getting switches into people's hands earlier? The longer people own a system, the more stuff they ultimately buy for it (hence why attach rates grow over time). It's an interesting question.

And I have to wonder if 40-50k is really the baseline. Maybe 25k is the real production baseline, and they're not stockpiling. What if they were only able to do those 45k weeks because they were drawing on a stockpile they built up before launch? It's difficult to say.

Also, more casual consumers will be in circulation. Unlike scalpers which can scoop up the trickle.
Are scalpers as common in Japan as in the west?

hongcha

DQ 1-3 collection of ROMs on Wii sold very well, let us not forget:

01./00. [WII] Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary: Famicom & Super Famicom Dragon Quest I-II-III <RPG> (Square Enix) {2011.09.15} (¥4.440) - 263.398 / NEW

It went on to sell at least another 100K after that in the following month.

Yeah SD is not such a big franchise in comparison, but if DQ roms can do 375K+, I think SD roms can do at least 50k. Especially considering Switch owners are starved for new games.

casiopao

DQ 1-3 collection of ROMs on Wii sold very well, let us not forget:

01./00. [WII] Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary: Famicom & Super Famicom Dragon Quest I-II-III <RPG> (Square Enix) {2011.09.15} (¥4.440) - 263.398 / NEW

It went on to sell at least another 100K after that in the following month.

Yeah SD is not such a big franchise in comparison, but if DQ roms can do 375K+, I think SD roms can do at least 50k. Especially considering Switch owners are starved for new games.

Well, u said urself there.^^ DQ vs SD series is so far if u ask me in terms of popularity and relevance. And again, starved on content should not be problem for early owner of Switch as they should also own other platform to satisfies their gaming need there.

SalvaPot

[PS4] Tekken 7 (25 days) - 200k
[NSW] Seiken Densetsu Collection (25 days) - 40k
[NSW] Arms (10 days) - 179k

Passose

Banned
Well, u said urself there.^^ DQ vs SD series is so far if u ask me in terms of popularity and relevance. And again, starved on content should not be problem for early owner of Switch as they should also own other platform to satisfies their gaming need there.
tbf if the starvation for games on the switch is real, then titles like I am setsuna and others should have had better sales

casiopao

tbf if the starvation for games on the switch is real, then titles like I am setsuna and others should have had better sales

Yup. The starved for game argument is literally a bad argument when we see so much Wii U game flopped even when they come out during drought session lol.

Mory Dunz

Yup. The starved for game argument is literally a bad argument when we see so much Wii U game flopped even when they come out during drought session lol.

star fox
color splash.

but then again I wonder if those could've done better....if they didn't stink.

hongcha

I am Setsuna was available on PC, PS4 and Vita before the Switch release. It's also not a game with great reviews. Seiken Densetsu 3 has never been ported since its Super Famicom release 20+ years ago and is considered a classic. Seiken Densetsu 2 is also a beloved game.

Mory Dunz

I am Setsuna was available on PC, PS4 and Vita before the Switch release. It's also not a game with great reviews. Seiken Densetsu 3 has never been ported since its Super Famicom release 20+ years ago and is considered a classic. Seiken Densetsu 2 is also a beloved game.

how well did those two do in JP anyway?

ggx2ac

Hmmm, that's solid reasoning. But does it really outweigh the benefits of getting switches into people's hands earlier? The longer people own a system, the more stuff they ultimately buy for it (hence why attach rates grow over time). It's an interesting question.

And I have to wonder if 40-50k is really the baseline. Maybe 25k is the real production baseline, and they're not stockpiling. What if they were only able to do those 45k weeks because they were drawing on a stockpile they built up before launch? It's difficult to say.

Possibly, Kimishima stated in the last Q&A they had none in inventory. They forecasted 2 million for March and ended up shipping 2.72 million where some of those were shipped by air.

They will most likely have inventory now because they are stocking up on Splatoon 2 bundles which won't release until July.

Things will be clear in the next quarter earnings release at the end of July for how much they have shipped to each region.

Passose

Banned
Possibly, Kimishima stated in the last Q&A they had none in inventory. They forecasted 2 million for March and ended up shipping 2.72 million where some of those were shipped by air.

They will most likely have inventory now because they are stocking up on Splatoon 2 bundles which won't release until July.

Things will be clear in the next quarter earnings release at the end of July for how much they have shipped to each region.
so there is gonna be a much bigger restock before Splatoon launch then, I mean a much bigger one than the MK8D launch which was fairly disappointing

Ōkami

Dragon Quest collection was 1500 yen cheaper than the Seiken collection, was released to a 10 million Wii install based and contained the first rerelease of the original versions of Dragon Quest I through III and its Super Famicom remakes, it was the first time the games were rereleased since the Game Boy Color versions of them and, well they were Dragon Quest games.

Seiken Densetsu offers 3 games, the first one got a 3D remake on Vita, and the second a digital rerelease on both Wii and Wii U, so Seiken 3 is probably the reason to get the collection, but they're asking a bit too much for it.

Seiken 2 sold over a million, Seiken 3 about 700k (but it was an insanely expensive 11k yen game)

Passose

Banned
&#332;kami;237992850 said:
Dragon Quest collection was 1500 yen cheaper than the Seiken collection, was released to a 10 million Wii install based and contained the first rerelease of the original versions of Dragon Quest I through III and its Super Famicom remakes, it was the first time the games were rereleased since the Game Boy Color versions of them and, well they were Dragon Quest games.

Seiken Densetsu offers 3 games, the first one got a 3D remake on Vita, and the second a digital rerelease on both Wii and Wii U, so Seiken 3 is probably the reason to get the collection, but they're asking a bit too much for it.

Seiken 2 sold over a million, Seiken 3 about 700k (but it was an insanely expensive 11k yen game)
why didn't they put the remade one into the package? :p

hongcha

&#332;kami;237992850 said:
Dragon Quest collection was 1500 yen cheaper than the Seiken collection,

It's a 400 yen difference, not 1500 yen. MSRP for DQ was 4400 yen (checking my Amazon JP order from 2011, I paid 3602 yen on release), SD is 4800 yen (My preorder was 3918 yen on Amazon JP).

I remember paying $140 USD to import Seiken 3 in late '95. Most I ever spent for a new game, but no regrets. I must have played it for over 250 hours (finished it with all 6 characters). Still one of my all-time faves.

casiopao

star fox
color splash.

but then again I wonder if those could've done better....if they didn't stink.

Lol. U don't even need to use those 2 as example. Xenoblade X and TMS for what quality it brought also don't really sell well in Japan there.^^

jeremy1456

ARMS will debut at around 100k, and crawl to 200k when all is said and done.

Yeah yeah yeah people can point out how much it has been advertised, but that didn't help out titles like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles The Crystal Bearers in previous generations.

There's absolutely no indication ARMs will be a hit. Splatoon was the outlier not the standard.

Some of you guys are lowballing Tekken 7 a bit. Even Tag 2 did close to 100k in its first month.

Tekken 7 did better in the arcades than previous entries, no reason that shouldn't be the same for the console release.

casiopao

heh, even SMT4 sold more than TMS

SMTIV is considered monstrously huge if u compared it to TMS lol.^^

Yeah yeah yeah people can point out how much it has been advertised, but that didn't help out titles like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles The Crystal Bearers in previous generations.

There's absolutely no indication ARMs will be a hit. Splatoon was the outlier not the standard.

Lol. LTD of 200k.O_O It will reach that number in 2 week if u ask me lol.^^

FF Crystal Chronicles is not even on the same level of ARMS being pushed. ARMS had get 2 Direct pushing the title, Testfire coming and it had been played by many Japanese in event.

100k is going to bomba on catastrophic level lol.

Mory Dunz

you tell all those people predicting 1.5 million for ARMS.

you tell 'em

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

Crawl to 200k

Debut at 100k

Someone who understands nothing about sales.

&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles?!?
Your reference is from 14 years ago, from a different developer.
The only thing weirder than that is your prediction.

To bring a more relevant comparison, do you really think this will sell less well than Captain Toads Treasure Trackers?

Vinnk

???

I know before release someone posted a photo that SquareEnix had put a hanging poster on a large building in Tokyo. Beyond that what did they do?

I was living in Japan during that time and I saw:

-No television ads
-No in-store kiosks
-No flyers (though it was contained in the monthly Square-Enix flyer)
-No notable online ads

It was totally sent to die. Unless I am missing something. And that is possible. But I was following that one pretty closely back then and I remember nothing close to what they are doing for ARMS.

samar11

Mate you shouldn't of said that, your fucked now lol

duckroll

I think Crystal Bearers had more marketing when it was originally announced with a bullshot trailer than when the game actually released. Lol.

VLQ

Crystal Bearers was thrown under Final Fantasy XIII in Japan. And there are zero similarities between Crystal Bearers and ARMS as games whatsoever

I don't think Arms will be as big of a hit as Splatoon in Japan, but I don't think many are predicting that. The comparison to Crystal Bearers is a bit silly, and I don't think the game will have to crawl to 200k with how much Nintendo is pushing it. I think reaching 200k is more likely to happen within the first few weeks than for it to be the final LTD.

Vinnk

I think Crystal Bearers had more marketing when it was originally announced with a bullshot trailer than when the game actually released. Lol.

That is true. Felt like a bait and switch. I was so excited for the game from the reveal. But by the time the game finally released I decided to wait for a sale. Got it in the bomba bin for 500yen not too long after.

watershed

Banned

A lot of people have quoted you already, but seriously what relation exists between Crystal Bearers and ARMS? I don't get the comparison at all.

Yeshua

[PS4] Tekken 7 (25 days) - 120000
[NSW] Seiken Densetsu Collection (25 days) - 25000
[NSW] Arms (10 days) - 150000

dno_1966

[PS4] Tekken 7 (25 days) - 96000
[NSW] Seiken Densetsu Collection (25 days) - 23000
[NSW] Arms (10 days) - 185000

Deku89

Are scalpers as common in Japan as in the west?
I actually don't think they are holding much back each week (5k-10k), if they are holding them back at all. I also think it's a publicity thing as well. "We sold this many Switches on the debut of new game." Not everybody follows sales charts to know sales have been lower (maybe that it's been sold out) and it makes a good headline.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
That is true. Felt like a bait and switch. I was so excited for the game from the reveal. But by the time the game finally released I decided to wait for a sale. Got it in the bomba bin for 500yen not too long after.

Bait and Switch is a good summary of SE Wii support. Kingdom Hearts on Wii would have been a no brainer, since the system had the global audience, when securing DQX i think Nintendo/Iwata expected a singleplayer game that could really help them move systems worldwide. Instead they got a MMO on a system like Wii, making it impossible for Nintendo to publish/release outside of Japan. Welp...

Top Bottom