• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS U.S. commercial: We've downgraded from rooftop parties to garage parties

Neiteio

New thread for new news. Here's the link to the ad, titled "Answer the Call to ARMS:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8DSI623kxI

A decent ad that shows a variety of characters and demonstrates the motion controls, although I wonder how often these ads run the full 30 seconds.

Pretty much how I expected Nintendo to go about advertising this game.

Dystify

Don't like the song choice of the ad, makes the game seem less dynamic, imo. Otherwise a decent commercial. Maybe could have put a little more focus on the game though.

Neiteio

I personally think it would've been better served by more clearly showing the way you can curve a punch before and after it's been thrown. More emphasis on the dashing, jumping, and air-dashing would've been great to differentiate this, as well.

moeman

I personally think it would've been better served by more clearly showing the way you can curve a punch before and after it's been thrown. More emphasis on the dashing, jumping, and air-dashing would've been great to differentiate this, as well.

Agreed. As it stands if a casual person saw the commercial they would automatically assume the game was waggle-based. Should have shown off some of the nuances in controls to help it stand out.

For smash will we get Switch Basement parties?

395026.jpg

wapplew

Maybe the ad aim at Wii crowd.

Neiteio

Yeah, the song was a weird choice. And no Twintelle.
There'll probably be a separate ad campaign focused just on Twintelle, with Sir Mixalot's "Baby Got Back" playing in the background.

Sales will skyrocket, and analysts will tell investors "BUY BUY BUY!"

I feel like that would of been a bit to complicated especially since they are trying to appeal to a wider audience with this.

A commercial like this needs to be simple and get the points across quickly which this ad did.

Neoxon

Weird how we don't see much of Spring Man in the commercial beyond the box art & his icon while they're playing in Tabletop Mode, considering he's the mascot of the game & all.

Neiteio

Weird how we don't see much of Spring Man in the commercial beyond the box art & his icon while they're playing in Tabletop Mode, considering he's the mascot of the game & all.
Looks like they focused on more outlandish characters like Master Mummy and B&B, perhaps to convey this game is whaaaaaaaaacky

ARMS is a hard game to sell in short doses, most people were only convinced after sitting down with a long Direct dedicated to it or actually getting a arms hands on with the game.

Good ad but not as great as other Switch commercials.

wedca

I hope this is the first in a series of commercials for ARMS.

The next one can be people playing in the break room at work and even the boss gets in on the action!

Neiteio

This game is going to flop.
It's already one of the most preordered games on Amazon.com. The Switch itself is selling extremely well, and Nintendo has the ability to push this right on the front page of the Switch every time you boot it up. There's also a second batch of Testpunch rounds this weekend, the invitational tournament hyping it at E3, and then it releases at the end of E3 to capitalize on the hype. Should do fine.

Mory Dunz

Why exactly do you feel that way?

Should I start working on the Wall of Shame?

A wall of shame is better than people getting so defensive.

If someone has a right to come in and say, this game will sell gangbusters, then someone can come in and say it's going to flop. It really doesn't matter at the end of the day.

don't see the point in getting up in arms about it. Just start taking names if you'd rather.

...your friends list of Switch owners played a free demo?

Lol

I'm sure the same could be said for Splatoon and Overwatch and just look what happened to them. The Arms Test Punch was incredibly popular and it's the best way for people to get an opinion on the game. So yes my friends list of Switch owners playing a free demo is a pretty big deal.

A wall of shame is better than people getting so defensive.

If someone has a right to come in and say, this game will sell gangbusters, then someone can come in and say it's going to flop. It really doesn't matter at the end of the day.

don't see the point in getting up in arms about it. Just start taking names if you'd rather.
Pun not intended? Lol

I'm sure the same could be said for Splatoon and Overwatch and just look what happened to them. The Arms Test Punch was incredibly popular and it's the best way for people to get an opinion on the game. So yes my friends list of Switch owners playing a free demo is a pretty big deal.
I don't agree, sorry. It is a time limited demo with very specific slots which would encourage everyone to be on at once.

Top Bottom