• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Game is on clearance at Best Buy for $6.99 and still shows available.

Thanks. Got it for $5.59 with GCU. I added in Toad Tracker for store picked to get free shipping. I don't plan to return the game but I wonder if I did would they charge the $3 for shipping.

As for the game I'm kind of interested in homebrew. I'm a guy who never touches emulators and buys Virtual Console games.

I got some homebrew for the DS for my cousins in India so they could use the DS for more stuff and was very impressed with the apps. There was of course Moon Shell the media player and Colors!. There also was a complete bible and offline Wikipedia viewer.

Just in case I want a copy to see what people do with 3DS and 3D.

I do really hope there's no piracy. Retail are already struggling as is.

cpooi

It doesn't matter, you don't need a real address to do that. You only need your Nintendo ID and birthday and old system ID (write it down people! Or keep your box) and password. I have done it(without system ID even, but takes longer), so I am 100% positive. And Nintendo CS is one of best I've experienced. I still prefer a Ms/Sony's system but Nintendo is improving.

My 3DS is US region, but is a local set by the local (I'm Singaporean) official distributor, so the system ID is something that is specific to my region. Would Nintendo CS still help me? Also, I'm afraid that they will cancel my CN account.

Got a copy for 13€ on ebay.de about an hour ago. At this time there were still about 10 copies left plus several other offers.
Now there's only one offer at 40€. It's ridiculous :D

Rich!

My order was cancelled and the price then raised to £50.

fuck this shit. Seriously. This is why it should have been announced months ago.

My 3DS is US region, but is a local set by the local (I'm Singaporean) official distributor, so the system ID is something that is specific to my region. Would Nintendo CS still help me? Also, I'm afraid that they will cancel my CN account.

We are actually not supposed to use non local eshop I think. It's BS and I do fear for my digital purchases.

My order was cancelled and the price then raised to £50.

fuck this shit. Seriously. This is why it should have been announced months ago.

To be fair this would of gone the same way had the game been announced months ago. People have been waiting quite a while for Smealum to release his work

Wait. Does this mean the homebrew/regionfree/piracy is bottlenecked by the amount of games in circulation? I don't think a reprint will be made of these games, as Nintendo will probably block it or force a patched version to be printed.

I could not be 100% certain but if there is a official distributor they should be help because it's legit. Unlink the CN account before you call would be good thing to do also.

I actually need to call Nintendo CS, I can ask them about your situation and post back if you want, I will call when the working hour start at 6AM PST(2AM PST now).

Rich!

Wait. Does this mean the homebrew/regionfree/piracy is bottlenecked by the amount of games in circulation? I don't think a reprint will be made of these games, as Nintendo will probably block it or force a patched version to be printed.

Yep.

Essentially, this homebrew channel is pretty much useless because of that - unless another exploit is found.

Right now yes, I'd imagine people will be looking at getting Homebrew running without the cart though once the exploit is released

For now yes. But it won't really matter in the long run, gates are open.

For me the most important homebrew program will be a pokemon save editor, for all the event exclusive stuff.

There is also that flashcard that will be released after the N3DS's launch.

ec0ec0

There was 0% change of finding it near me but i found it with my first call anyway hahaha

In some hours it will be mine for 12-13eur (PAL version) (they only had one copy, sorry :p)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I suggest you don't talk about other people's intelligence or accuse them of being trolls when you clearly didn't read the discussion about the topic in the last few posts.
Pretty sure he's calling you out on the part about losing your games when upgrading to a N3DS, which isn't true at all.

cpooi

I could not be 100% certain but if there is a official distributor they should be help because it's legit. Unlink the CN account before you call would be good thing to do also.

I actually need to call Nintendo CS, I can ask them about your situation and post back if you want, I will call when the working hour start at 6AM PST(2AM PST now).

Though the set itself is legit, all the digital games come from the the US (after NNID) and Brazil (before NNID) as my country has no eshop. Which obviously is against T&C.

Thus, I am rather hesitant to buy anything digitally that can be bought by retail. It would be great if you can ask CN about it.

Rich!

Pretty sure he's calling you out on the part about losing your games when upgrading to a N3DS, which isn't true at all.

yeah, how could anyone think that? lol

I wouldn't be importing an australian N3DS this week if I couldn't transfer my digital games over!

Kolma

Sad to say that the development team is no more.

Good for exploits (no-one to patch, Nintendo would have to do it) - but it'll definitely be pulled from JPN eshop.

A firmware update will eventually fix it.
Here's hoping we can manually update via homebrew to keep this for rest of 3DS life

Vuze

Hm I should have a look at the japanese eShop then. I don't think Nintendo can force updates for games you already downloaded so that should work out eventually.

Knowing ubisoft, I won't be surprised if they put the exploit in their game on purpose, in order to boost sales.
The developer has been dead since 2011. That would be crazy planning from Ubisoft...

This still can be patched, right? We know updates can be forced if you want to go online.
Can the method of attack be patched? smea thinks not but I'm guessing it is a QR code so one option open to Nintendo is to disable the camera when the game is running.

The game itself is pointless to patch as you can just delete the patch. The other option Nintendo can do is completely blacklist the game but Ubisoft and customers could complain. That is a very extreme option though.

I wonder if they could look for exploit files on the SD card and delete them upon detection (twilight hack block does this). From what I recall the 3DS gets very grumpy if you remove or insert SD cards while the system is on.

And here I was hoping for a Bravely Default 2 localiztion announcement...
What has this got to do with homebrew? Can we at least hold off on this until we see a romz loader.

Man, it was £7.99 on GAME's website, put it in my basket, went to checkout and then payment and it brought me to a page saying I had nothing in my basket. Went back to the listing and they'd sold out.

Damn.
When GAME get really low on stock the site starts behaving strange and/or their site doesn't update stock very quickly. This usually results in it coming in and out of stock a few times (this may be due to payment failing). However I've had orders canceled in such circumstances before (as in order while in stock but it gets canceled when someone after me gets theirs).

I wonder how this will end up

Will Cubic Ninja remain at a moderate-high price since you need the game every time? Or will the hype die down and will the game go back down to $3 again lol
Depends who was mainly buying it. If it is people wanting to use homebrew they will hold onto it. If it is scalpers they will get fed up of looking at the copies and lower the price somewhat until you hit that threshold of people prepared to buy.

Cyd0nia

Banned
Thread needs "/piracy" in the title, because we all know it's true. I can't pretend I'm in favour of this news because I think it will damage the platform. Hopefully the likes of Majoras Mask and other releases can kill it somehow.

Thread needs "/piracy" in the title, because we all know it's true. I can't pretend I'm in favour of this news because I think it will damage the platform. Hopefully the likes of Majoras Mask and other releases can kill it somehow.

Homebrew threads generally don't allow derailments about piracy to start.

The creator said the exploit can't be used for piracy

vareon

Excuse my ignorance but how exactly is this exploit can't be used for piracy? Wouldn't homebrew leave the door open for anyone to try?

Because "This can be used for homebrew, but not piracy" seems like a magic solution. Which is good if we have one!

Excuse my ignorance but how exactly is this exploit can't be used for piracy? Wouldn't homebrew leave the door open for anyone to try?

Because "This can be used for homebrew, but not piracy" seems like a magic solution. Which is good if we have one!

There tends to be different levels of access on consoles nowadays (User Mode, Kernel Mode etc). Kernel Mode would give complete access to the system and allow Piracy but User Mode wouldn't.

Bear in mind I don't know if this is the case here

wrowa

I wonder how long it'll take before the game is completely unavailable. It's quite a low-key release, so I don't expect that Ubisoft ever shipped a lot of copies to begin with. It wouldn't surprise me if the game will be sold for insane prices in just a few days.

I've seen it at lots of targets the past few years but I bet they are gone now

There is one near a GameStop so I'll try to scoop it up in the AM

Top Bottom