• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart DS topic!

borghe said:
how is it connected right now? is it a vonage capable router (i.e. a router with network ports AND a phone port on it)?

Yeah, the Vonage router has the network ports and the phone ports on it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
in theory you should be able to get the d-link, turn off the dhcp server and assign it a different IP address than default (so as not to conflict with your vonage router), then one of the d-link lan ports into one of the vonage router lan ports and just use the d-link as an access point.

in theory (I haven't personally ttested it).

Calidor

btw, i just readed on your article that the only way to quit a race is turning the system off, wich lend me to think how much i'll hate the people who starts running backwards or just sitting, because if you turn the system off, most likely you'll lose the stats aswell. :(

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I have experienced one guy racing backwards, and one guy drop a race. The guy that dropped was the guy running around as R.O.B. and I was beating his ass in the 1st of four races, so apparently his ranking was too important so he dropped.

But yeah. Online you play a series of four races, and the only chance to exit is at the end of the four. You'd think they'd at least give people the OPTION to drop without turning their system off, along with a warning about losing the stats and it generally being an impolite thing to do, etc etc.

Edit: for the record the mo article wasn't mine. No biggie, but don't wanna seem like I'm taking credit.

+Aliken+

:Motorbass said:
You unlock the first eight by switching on your DS with a copy of Mario Kart DS in the slot, but psssh!

ahahah
but I'm speaking about the 8 hidden charaters, too many.

GDJustin said:
GD Justin ;)

I guess we are in very different time zones though :(
I'm in Europe.

(anyway I'll be on as Aliken)

Mofo

Hey - just to clear things up - if someone drops they do get the loss - the winner just doesnt get the win.

Kon Tiki

Banned
I hope they fix the stats before year end, or before more games come out. It is rather pointless to list top players when people can use the same name.

mutsu

On the bottom of this page:

http://wifi.nintendo.co.jp/information/qa/01.html

It says if you bought your DS and game (Mario Kart or Animal Crossing) in Japan, then you cannot take it outside of Japan and connect it through Nintendo WFC. Would this be the case? If so, why? I assume every country has a different place like www.nintendowifi.com to register their account?

Can anyone share their wisdom on this? Because I am thinking of importing the Japanese version of Mario Kart DS... wouldn't be much use if I can't play it outside of Japan...

If you guys may have heard of my situation earler with my VOnage phone adapter, I did a situation that may be somewhat good news. I used an old wired adapter and used that as my "main" router. I then connected the Vonage adapter to the wired router and connected everything to that...I was still able to ge everything working...

Here's hoping that, if I have to get a D-Link 524 or similar, I can get similar results.

Nester

Good lord, even the NOAs are confused about the game.

battleproof5du.png

(this is not my image, don't knock me for the filename of "battleproof") :lol

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
SpeedRazor said:
Good lord, even the NOAs are confused about the game.

battleproof5du.png

(this is not my image, don't knock me for the filename of "battleproof") :lol
god. :lol

GDJustin

I can confirm today that beating all GPs one 150cc unlocks
150cc mirror mode

GaimeGuy

Rlan said:
Can you do that class online?
nope.

I believe this has already been posted, but here are the tracks that are online (they have a * next to their name)

Thanks to TYP from PGC

Figure-8 Circuit (*)
Yoshi Falls (*)
Cheep Cheep Beach (*)
Luigi's Mansion (*)
Desert Hills (*)
Delfino Square (*)
Waluigi Pinball
Shroom Ridge
DK Pass (*)
Tick-Tock Clock
Mario Circuit (*)
Airship Fortress
Wario Stadium (*)
Peach Gardens
Bowser Castle
Rainbow Road (*)
SNES Mario Circuit 1 (*)
N64 Moo Moo Farm (*)
GBA Peach Circuit (*)
GCN Luigi Circuit (*)
SNES Donut Plains 1
N64 Frappe Snowland (*)
GBA Bowser Castle 2
GCN Baby Park (*)
SNES Koopa Beach 2
N64 Choco Mountain (*)
GBA Luigi Circuit
GCN Mushroom Bridge
SNES Choco Island 2 (*)
N64 Banshee Boardwalk
GBA Sky Garden (*)
GCN Yoshi Circuit (*)

Also note that there is a mirror mode (offline only).

GaimeGuy

Rlan said:
Yeah, posted :p

And still no idea why those SNES and GBA tracks couldn't be played online.
Because EAD is inexperienced with online games. :)

i have the DL-524 d link router. it says the 514 isnt compatable at all and then jumps to saying the 624 is recommended. anyone know anything about compatability with this

edit...i didnt look down far enough sorry

Teddman

The 524 is rated as five stars on Nintendo's site.

I believe the 514 is also fully compatible, there's really no reason it shouldn't be as a b standard router. It says that Nintendo only ranked these routers as they functioned "out of the box," and with a firmware upgrade the 514 probably works. We'll see...

Morts

The more I read the more I think I'm going to need to buy a router. And as a really poor college student, that makes me very sad.

GaimeGuy

Morts said:
The more I read the more I think I'm going to need to buy a router. And as a really poor college student, that makes me very sad.
Maybe you should wait until mario kart comes out and check for any open, unsecured networks with the game before you resort to buying your own router.

Heck, I bet your college has its own wireless network.

GDJustin

I can confirm that the final playable character
R.O.B.
is unlocked by beating
All four retro GPs on mirror mode.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'll buy a router since I really doubt there'll be hotspots in my area and I'm getting a PSP anyway. I can wait for the dongle.

neptunes

Are we able to create buddylists for the time being, or do we have to wait until the game comes out?

They should allow us to make lists now, for those that will be the using web validation method anyway.

GDJustin

GDJustin said:
I can confirm that the final playable character
R.O.B.
is unlocked by beating
All four retro GPs on mirror mode.

And now no one will play online with me when I race as him! I'll start out with 3 other racers (if I'm lucky), and when I win by like a half lap they slowly drop one by one until its just 1v1, then he drops too :(

I literally don't think I've completed an online GP since I started racing as
R.O.B.
. It looks like he's the only char. anyone will use online once they get him unlocked... at least he's the endgame reward.

Rlan

What are his stats like? Shouldn't he be a Super Heavyweight, like Bowser?

Do you unlock anything via Time Trials other than Super-Trial-Ghosts? I'm not one for going through Time Trial mode, so I hope you don't unlock vehicles via it ;)

Any other interesting carts pop up?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
GDJustin said:
And now no one will play online with me when I race as him! I'll start out with 3 other racers (if I'm lucky), and when I win by like a half lap they slowly drop one by one until its just 1v1, then he drops too :(

I literally don't think I've completed an online GP since I started racing as
R.O.B.
. It looks like he's the only char. anyone will use online once they get him unlocked... at least he's the endgame reward.
so he is a monster, that sucks. I'll hate seeing myself racing against three
ROB
where is the balance here?

Mihail

Banned
Hey, awesome news:

http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_ds_lobby/b7594/102591744/

craig-ign said:
It looks like the Wi-Fi Settings entered into Mario Kart DS are actually written directly to the DS system hardware.

I popped in Tony Hawk's American Sk8land, and went into the Wi-Fi Settings function. My settings on Tony Hawk are identical to what I set up in Mario Kart DS without me doing any configuring whatsoever.

I was originally under the impression that each game needed to be configured individually, and that the settings were only resident on the card's SRAM. I was apparently wrong...looks like Nintendo's updating internal hardware memory with the Wi-Fi stuff.

-- Craig

GDJustin

Rlan said:
What are his stats like? Shouldn't he be a Super Heavyweight, like Bowser?

Do you unlock anything via Time Trials other than Super-Trial-Ghosts? I'm not one for going through Time Trial mode, so I hope you don't unlock vehicles via it ;)

Any other interesting carts pop up?

His speed stat is maxed out, with everything else pretty full besides drift, I think. (posting from memory).

As for karts, you eventually unlock 3 for each character, and beating the four non-retro
mirror mode
GPs w/ golds unlocks the ability to use any kart with any racer, so a total of 36 karts.

You also get a new title screen after completely clearing all of GP

As for time trials, I haven't done many yet, but I did beat a staff ghost and didn't get anything, so I'm guessing not. Ditto mission mode. I beat the first set of ten with all triple stars and didn't get anything, so unless you get something for getting ALL triple stars or beating ALL staff ghosts, all unlockables come from the GP

Rlan

It's been announced in another thread that the Dongle will be avaliable via Nintendo Australias website for $49.95. That is an excellent price, I believe. Just looking through http://www.itwarehouse.com.au, I can't find any routers mentioned at a decent price.

I have a wired ADSL Modem/Router, so I'll just need the Dongle and that's in then?

Xrenity

Was this already posted?
"One problem that we've encountered a lot, which is somewhat surprising given that we're presumably racing against Nintendo employees and other people in the games industry at this point, is that our opponents have been disconnecting as soon as they realize that it's impossible for them to win. It's conceivable, of course, that network problems are to blame for all of our disconnected opponents, but given the predictable timing of said disconnections (after we win the third consecutive race of four, for example), it seems that poor sportsmanship is more likely the cause. Part of the problem is undoubtedly that Mario Kart DS isn't set up to punish players who disconnect regularly in any way, so when you check out your opponents' stats, you can see how many wins and losses he or she's notched up--but not how many times the person has quit out of a session he or she was losing."

neptunes

Welcome to online gaming!

but yeah, you'll always have your poor sports, annoying brats (and somtimes) cheaters that sometimes ruin the entire experience.

There's always droppers in most (Sports-Oriented) online games, but playing them on a portable could amplify the problem even moreso. So easy to hit the power switch :p

I guess playing with a group of people you know that wont screw around is the only way to go.

That can probably be said for most online games anways.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Rlan said:
It's been announced in another thread that the Dongle will be avaliable via Nintendo Australias website for $49.95. That is an excellent price, I believe. Just looking through http://www.itwarehouse.com.au, I can't find any routers mentioned at a decent price.

I have a wired ADSL Modem/Router, so I'll just need the Dongle and that's in then?

Your'll have to ring Nintendo AU on the 17th you cant order one before hand so forget about playing MK from Day 1.

So just buy the Dongle and your'll be set.

teepo said:
if i'm far behind in an online race in any game, i quit the game and look for a opponent that can provide me with a good race.
Stupid. Watch and learn. You won't get better by playing people at or below your skill. (unless that hidden Character is a real balancing problem)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'd like Nintendo to update it so instead of getting 1 loss for dropping out of a race you got 5. Lets see how many people would drop out if that happened.

+Aliken+

Fuzzy said:
I'd like Nintendo to update it so instead of getting 1 loss for dropping out of a race you got 5. Lets see how many people would drop out if that happened.

I wouldn't drop out because i hate having to switch the DS off and then on and re-boot the game and re connect to the net.

It's much better just to loose but practice the track ;)

The system should simply not rank you if you have more than 10% disconnects.

OK, that might not be a full solution. But it could be part of the solution.

Top Bottom