• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Full Map "Leaked" Spoilers Main Location

Tecnniqe

Banned
Actual play area don't seem massive to me, seems to be a lot of mountains. Not that it's a direct negative. Seems varied tho.

Looks like Skyrim map.

I think it's the shape...but to me has definitely a Skyrim vibe.

I instantly thought this. Foresty area is at the same area of falkreath, barren mountain-y stuff to the west with a town that seems to be going into the mountain. The eastern part has some northern snow mountain stuff that kinda creates a wall between the eastern part of the map and the rest of the game, like in Skyrim.

This was all just coincidence but kinda funny.

cilonen

I think the E3 2016 demo takes place here the one I circle with red.
fwWO4bw.jpg

didn't look like the map is that big imo, the entire e3 2016 demo takes around 8 minutes long including travel and combat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Xx3MdqdgM&t=30s

0xlSLfK.jpg

the distance between Aloy and corrupted zone can be reach in around 1 minute with a mount.

Nice analysis!

I think your red zone one the larger map is a little small though - the zoomed in map from the demo has the northern shore of the second water feature at the bottom left which is just to the left and down a bit from he ringed zone on the big map.

I think the demo area is all of that region bounded by mountains on three sides.

Muninn

Banned
I'm glad it's not gigantic big. I don't want that right now. It looks perfect. The game will be amazing.

Also you can see there are some location icon and campfire Icon in the mountains. so yeah you can access them , they are not there just to act as a wall.

I think the map works like red dead, where there is roads, you can get to, which in these mountains areas there are paths for you to get to. I don't think you will be able to get to the top of every mountain though, as they act like natural borders of the world.

I think the map works like red dead, where there is roads, you can get to, which in these mountains areas there are paths for you to get to. I don't think you will be able to get to the top of every mountain though, as they act like natural borders of the world.

the one that is covered with black lines in the game map is probably inaccessible, but there are still quite a few bit of mountain not covered with black lines that you can probably go.

the one that is covered with black lines in the game map is probably inaccessible, but there are still quite a few bit of mountain not covered with black lines that you can probably go.

But there are icons and roads under the black lines, unless I'm not reading your reply correctly.

FiraB

Banned
Its a good size. I only like GTAV map size because its really well made compared to most games. Just Cause 3 for example felt way to big just for the sake of being big.

M.D

Worth noting there are cauldrons (dungeons) which are big areas with puzzles, platforming and combat that are found underground

I think the E3 2016 demo takes place here the one I circle with red.
fwWO4bw.jpg

didn't look like the map is that big imo, the entire e3 2016 demo takes around 8 minutes long including travel and combat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Xx3MdqdgM&t=30s

0xlSLfK.jpg

the distance between Aloy and corrupted zone can be reach in around 1 minute with a mount.

Tried adjusting and matching zoomed in and out parts of the map and this is a pretty gigantic map, right? Unless I did something wrong.

Aloy is the lil red spot on the image.

CrayToes

Looks good to me. Hopefully it's tightly focused and filled with great content. Nothing worse than games with too much open, empty space.

vivekTO

Tried adjusting and matching zoomed in and out parts of the map and this is a pretty gigantic map, right? Unless I did something wrong.

Yup you are right, its a big map , its just because there is only a single island or land mass , and no ocean at sides or in between , it is looking somewhat compact.

KooopaKid

Banned

Good job.
I wonder how they'll manage the world boundaries. I love testing the limits.

Rafiki

Neo Member
3SN6UPn.png

This is my best attempt at calculating the map size. There is a TON of human error in here so take it with a grain of salt. I would say the actual area is somewhere from 10km^2 to 15km^2. The red border is my best guess at where the world ends based on gameplay videos. I'll refine it further once I find that one gif of the in game map (the one with the fog of war and black border).

Aloy rides a mount at around 8m/s meaning the total travel time from one end to the other is about 11.5 minutes in a straight line.

Tyaren

Meridian Village looks like it is this:
n6bYd45.jpg

I'm really excited to visit Meridian Village. Towns/cities are in general my favorite places in RPGs. I hope it's fairly big (even though its referred to as a village), life-like and fully explorable.

Blobbers

It doesn't look as natural as something like Velen in Witcher 3

YkLBZaS.jpg

Here's a huge forest area on the left and almost nothing else, then a rocky area in the middle and almost nothing else, and a snowy area on the right and some forest.
Like they took 3 different ecosystems and plopped them next to one another. At least the contrast of colors make the map look cool.

It should've been a bunch of forests, meadows, lakes, dilapidated buildings sprinkled all over the map, and maybe a huge-ass mountain in a corner. Done.
But maybe a more video gamey map will be more fun to explore. I know I grew tired of the Witcher 3 world at points.

m051293

3SN6UPn.png

This is my best attempt at calculating the map size. There is a TON of human error in here so take it with a grain of salt. I would say the actual area is somewhere from 10km^2 to 15km^2. The red border is my best guess at where the world ends based on gameplay videos. I'll refine it further once I find that one gif of the in game map (the one with the fog of war and black border).

Aloy rides a mount at around 8m/s meaning the total travel time from one end to the other is about 11.5 minutes in a straight line.

How did you get those distances though? Were we given a scale somewhere?

m051293

It doesn't look as natural as something like Velen in Witcher 3.

Here's a huge forest area on the left and almost nothing else, then a rocky area in the middle and almost nothing else, and a snowy area on the right and some forest.
Like they took 3 different ecosystems and plopped them next to one another. At least the contrast of colors make the map look cool.

It should've been a bunch of forests, meadows, lakes, dilapidated buildings sprinkled all over the map, and maybe a huge-ass mountain in a corner. Done.
But maybe a more video gamey map will be more fun to explore. I know I grew tired of the Witcher 3 world at points.

I think that works well with this game's themes though, doesn't it?

There's a subtle uneasiness in the inorganic nature of this world; that the biomes feel sort of artificially structured plays into this feeling.

vivekTO

It doesn't look as natural as something like Velen in Witcher 3

Making it look natural means they have to pad out some transition area , which will only have some traversal aspect. I think making it somewhat artificial but visually distinctive is the right call here.

I think its some marker distance and guestimate of walking speed to calculate the size, its really very tricky and a lot of assumptions.

Rafiki

Neo Member

I looked at one of the gameplay videos that had a clear distance marker, and then saw where the marker and he was on the map and then found that spot on this map. It's obviously not exact, but it is enough to give us an idea of the size.

m051293

I looked at one of the gameplay videos that had a clear distance marker, and then saw where the marker and he was on the map and then found that spot on this map. It's obviously not exact, but it is enough to give us an idea of the size.

Ah, got it! Good, that means we should be able to accurately guage this once its playable.

Gudji

No point in comparing these maps. They've changed it since E3, I guess it was an older build to begin with. Mother's rise (that village where Aloy found the corruptor) used to be left of Mother's Crown, not the case anymore.

The map used to be huge according to the previews and they scaled it back (still big, but not as big).

m051293

m051293

Also Witcher 3 (with all DLC), for reference, is 54.3 km^2 before we subtract the invisible borders.

Also, on Witcher 3's 136km^2 misinformation:

The incorrect 136 km^2 figure comes from the slide linked in this post. The slide (pg. 46) refers to the rendered area in two of the game's sub-regions, Novigrad/Velen (8.5kmx8.5km) and Skellige (8kmx8km), *for the purposes of the project being described in the presentation*. NOT the playable area of the game. If you do play the game, it would be evident that those figures are completely irrelevant to anything in-game. Especially given that in-game, the larger sub-region is the one that had the smaller rendered area in the above model.

In the actual game, those same two sub-regions have an actual area (as given by the in-game distances) of 28.9 km^2 (Skellige) and 15.2 km^2 (Novigrad/Velen/HOSDLC). And those figures *include* out-of-bounds areas that are past the invisible walls (which would be difficult to measure as they are not uniform).

Witcher 3 is massive; I've spent now ~1000 hours across 3.5 files and the expansions. They've struck a remarkable balance in reconciling scale and content for immersion relative to other fantasy ARPGs (not packed with cities like Skyrim, reasonable distances between villages, etc.). I'd recommend this video discussing the brilliance of the world design. But it's not >136 km^2 (there are three other smaller sub-regions and then another huge one added with the B&W DLC/Expansion).

RefigeKru

Banned
Oh wow, the map is 3D. Nice touch.

And this does not seem as big or open as W3, but still very large. Significantly so considering what we've seen so far is quite dense rather than making it big for bigness sakes.

I'm replaying W3 at the moment and as great as this map is, I don't think I could do it again. It verges on too big and with how dense and lush Horizon looks to be I feel it's a decent tradeoff.

Lakitu

st5fu
I don't care about the map size but I'd love to explore some ruins of skyscrapers. I can't see anything like that but granted it's hard to tell.

Top Bottom