• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Horizon Zero Dawn get any better?

If the narrative doesn’t hook you early then you might as well bail imho. The gameplay is pretty standard open world Ubisoft design. The machine combat seems incredible at first but they’re so dumb and easy to take down. The side quests and NPCs are extremely forgettable. The narrative kept me intrigued until 80-90% completion or so on the hardest setting but once that fell through I stopped playing.

The hunter trials were pretty fun, and are basically the only combat situations where you need to put any thought into a strategy or take terrain into account. They should have put more of those in imho.

Toni

One thing's for sure, lots of folks like HZD. Hell, lots love it. But those who dislike it aren't just apathetic - they really fucking hate it and will rage at anything about it. That's certainly interesting.

Its funny to observe say the least.

Wamb0wneD

One thing's for sure, lots of folks like HZD. Hell, lots love it. But those who dislike it aren't just apathetic - they really fucking hate it and will rage at anything about it. That's certainly interesting.

Its funny to observe say the least.

Or you could stop trying to make every criticism regarding the game look like crazy talk to pretend it's not valid.
You know damn well OP's rant isn't the usual way people voice their problems with the game. Stop acting like it is.

Not nearly as funny as the fanboys who can't stand hearing anything remotely negative about the game. Their salt seasons millions of meals.
The disingenuous BS coming from these people is astonishing.

Mikey Jr.

I would love to see like 15 minutes of gameplay and see where you are having so much frustration.

Because I kinda don't understand.

The fast travel thing, trust me, won't be an issue soon. You can buy those, and rather quickly, you'll get an unlimited one.

Dunno, you call it one of the worst games you've played in years, but didn't really give compelling arguments in my eyes. But you know, I'm not you. So if you aren't having fun, not sure what to tell you.

And for the map screen, just set the waypoints so it'll guide you.

BlindMan94

Neo Member
I can understand the tutorial areas not being the most fun and it all taking a while to get into, but its a great game when it all clicks.

D3SCHA1N

It seems to me OP just does not enjoy the type of game Horizon is. I loved every minute I spent playing that game. I certainly never had all the issues with watchers he describes, seemed a bit exaggerated in his description though.

autoduelist

I hate the use the word overrated. But this game is truly the overrated game of this gen.

A game isn't overrated because you didn't like it. The fact is, almost everyone loves it, and many consider it a masterpiece. It's rated just fine - that's a pretty accurate description, and most people that pick it up will like it. You just don't like it.

Then again, this thread seems to have devolved into all the people who didn't like it [many who barely played it by their own admission]. Complaining about watchers? I mean, heck, they aren't even a nuisance by 1/4 in the game, and about the only time they pose an issue is the very first time you meet them [ie, before you realize how easy they are to avoid and/or kill]. Even if they were difficult [which they aren't], so what? The game has multiple difficulties.

Lokimaru

I can' t even dude, combat and exploration in this game are a blast. My favorite thing to do is to "Let them fight!". I still want to see a Stormbird vs a Thunderjaw though but they never seem to inhabit the same area. Hell once you get the stealth kill, the stealth armor and the whistle wacthers are cakewalk. Games one of my few Platinums.

nowhat

I still want to see a Stormbird vs a Thunderjaw though but they never seem to inhabit the same area.
Thunderjaws seem to be rather stationary, but Stormbirds can spot you from quite far away and also are more than happy to chase you - I suppose it could be possible to lure one to follow you to a Thunderjaw?

Tyaren

Aloy is so damn dull, I blame her voice actor.

Ashly Burch was just nominated for best performance as Aloy at the Game Awards and last night she won best performance at the Golden Joystick Awards.

I get that the game doesn't click with some, but the hyperbole and vitriol is a bit much at times, especially when it is forcefully compared to Zelda BotW all the time.

Freeman76

Ashly Burch was just nominated for best performance as Aloy at the Game Awards and last night she won best performance at the Golden Joystick Awards.

I get that the game doesn't click with some, but the hyperbole and vitriol is a bit much at times, especially when it is forcefully compared to Zelda BotW all the time.

But the opposite hyperbole where the game is lauded as a ground-breaking masterpiece is acceptable?

It is a copy paste of every other open world game before it, albeit in an amazingly detailed and realized open world.

Senua

Dude she has the most monotone and dull delivery ever, how the fuck was she nominated?

Also she won over Melina Juergens? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

DC1

NeoGAF, new and improved.

Good Lord.
Yes.

The familiarity feels nice.
Edit
... wait... There are multiple folk in this thread supporting the OP rant??
I expected:
-Universal condonation from many.
-Some coaching from some of the gray hairs of Troll University
-and, a subthread of positive gif reenforcement that completely ignores the OP's points.

:(

base

Banned
Aloy is so damn dull, I blame her voice actor.
Really? I really liked her. She seems really nice and what I appreciate the most she's not Lara Croft with her breast and ass showing everywhere and from every angle :)

Senua

Really? I really liked her. She seems really nice and what I appreciate the most she's not Lara Croft with her breast and ass showing everywhere and from every angle :)

I liked her as a character and found her story interesting but her voice actor was boring as as all fuck. Shitty monotone delivery throughout the majority of the game.

I enjoyed the game from the start but it really took me a while for things to click. I watched a video on youtube where someone more experienced took down a monster and I saw how he used several weapons as a system. That's when I understood how to play the game, mixing ropes, bombs, power arrows and all that to be this machine butcher. Then it was amazing.

Here's a review in points:
Negative points first:
  • The world is annoying af to move around in, literally everything wants to kill you and having to chase down a mount can be troublesome. Resulting in you abusing fast travel as soon as you can get it after 5-6 hours
  • Climbing is very Assassins Creed 1 level. You can only climb specific spots resulting in you stumbling around mountains and buildings trying to find that white or yellow spot
  • Cities feel very hollow. Typical pitfall of a sandbox game where the world is just a backdrop. Compared to e.g. Witcher 3 where it feels alive.
  • Too many missions require you to follow a trail
  • It has a very weird balance curve, in the middle you are running errands and feel very squishy. It reminds me a bit of the Souls games but skill would take you far in those games while here you are more prone to die because you don't have the right modifications or armor. Then it switches to you almost being overpowered.
  • TERRIBLE UX. Whoever designed the quick item menu really messed up.
Positive Points
  • It's really effing beautiful. There are points where you just stand and look at the grass move while the sun sets. Then a mecha t-rex breaks through the trees and you set everything on fire while rocks and lasers fill the sky. Games really came far.
  • The sound is fantastic too, the monsters make exactly the noise they should be. Which is weird to say.
  • A really strong start and ending to the story, it has a nice plot twist and builds up nicely even though it lost steam in the middle.
  • It takes a while but when you got the right armor and weapon something clicks, fighting these big beasts is a real joy. You are sliding around, roping them down, finding weak points and it really feels good. I can't highlight enough how great the combat feels. First time I saw a t-rex I was scared, but when i figured out how to fight them it was adrenaline pumping. Sliding under their laser, breaking off their mouth, shooting them with their own turret, roping it down, throwing ice bombs at it and finishing it off by shooting it's mechanical heart. You feel like a beast at the top of the food chain.
  • Monster designs are creative and beautiful.
  • Sidequests are challenging and fun for the most part, most requiring slaying of beasts in new situations.
  • I'm in love with Aloy.

It's a solid 8. The good greatly overshadow the bad. If anything I'm pretty sure the sequel will be fantastic.

Greedings

I just thought it was a bit boring. It's basically yet another cookie cutter open world game. Nothing stood out for me, except how gorgeous it looks. Unfortunately that wasn't enough to keep me interested.

nowhat

TERRIBLE UX. Whoever designed the quick item menu really messed up.
The UX/UI in general has been much improved from launch, although arguably things like filtering map icons, selling/buying multiple items from vendors and such should have been there from the start. Also the UI should be set to dynamic by default. The controls "clicked" with me almost immediately (I think the weapon wheel with integrated crafting of ammo works very well), so kudos there.

...except for that quick menu, it sucks balls. I know the player shouldn't be juggling traps in the midst of combat, but having all that stuff in the same menu just doesn't make sense. Also the sorting is very inconsistent - why are the regular health potions so far away from full health/health boost potions? I'm aware there are no more available buttons in the current controller config, but surely the quick menu could be improved somehow. Some creative use of the touchpad perhaps? I don't have a solution, but that is something that certainly needs to be improved in the inevitable sequel.

nowhat

Thats public voting though. And makes me wonder how many people actually played Hellblade.
Hellblade has fantastic sound design. Really great stuff. But considering an award - who it would be given to? The choir of voices in Senua's head? The person who plays Senua isn't exactly the most vocal one (while a terrific performance as far as mocap goes).

Memnoch

I finished the game, but it's definitely not mine of my favorites. I suppose it was satisfactory and I was glad when it was over.

Morbid

Banned
I finished the game, but it's definitely not mine of my favorites. I suppose it was satisfactory and I was glad when it was over.

I didn't even finish the thing, looked up the rest on youtube because I was so bored of the same thing over and over.

Sepultura

Hellblade has fantastic sound design. Really great stuff. But considering an award - who it would be given to? The choir of voices in Senua's head? The person who plays Senua isn't exactly the most vocal one (while a terrific performance as far as mocap goes).
There isn’t much interaction with any other character but there is plenty of narration as well. Together with the excellent mocap it was one of the most powerful performances I’ve ever seen. Aloy has more dialogue due to the nature of the game but her personality and dialogue delivery was quite boring for the most part.

Damerman

Started playing this game this week. Close to finishing it. I think its a classic. Its a very very good game in my eyes.

Damerman

I enjoyed the game from the start but it really took me a while for things to click. I watched a video on youtube where someone more experienced took down a monster and I saw how he used several weapons as a system. That's when I understood how to play the game, mixing ropes, bombs, power arrows and all that to be this machine butcher. Then it was amazing.

Negative points first:
  • The world is annoying af to move around in, literally everything wants to kill you and having to chase down a mount can be troublesome. Resulting in you abusing fast travel as soon as you can get it after 5-6 hours
  • Climbing is very Assassins Creed 1 level. You can only climb specific spots resulting in you stumbling around mountains and buildings trying to find that white or yellow spot
  • Cities feel very hollow. Typical pitfall of a sandbox game where the world is just a backdrop. Compared to e.g. Witcher 3 where it feels alive.
  • It has a very weird balance curve, in the middle you are running errands and feel very squishy. It reminds me a bit of the Souls games but skill would take you far in those games while here you are more prone to die because you don't have the right modifications or armor. Then it switches to you almost being overpowered.
Positive Points
  • It's really effing beautiful. There are points where you just stand and look at the grass move while the sun sets. Then a mecha t-rex breaks through the trees and you set everything on fire while rocks and lasers fill the sky. Games really came far.
  • The sound is fantastic too, the monsters make exactly the noise they should be. Which is weird to say.
  • A really strong start and ending to the story, it has a nice plot twist and builds up nicely even though it lost steam in the middle.
  • It takes a while but when you got the right armor and weapon something clicks, fighting these big beasts is a real joy. You are sliding around, roping them down, finding weak points and it really feels good. I can't highlight enough how great the combat feels. First time I saw a t-rex I was scared, but when i figured out how to fight them it was adrenaline pumping. Sliding under their laser, breaking off their mouth, shooting them with their own turret, roping it down, throwing ice bombs at it and finishing it off by shooting it's mechanical heart. You feel like a beast at the top of the food chain.
  • Sidequests are challenging and fun for the most part, most requiring slaying of beasts in new situations.
  • I'm in love with Aloy.

It's a solid 8. The good greatly overshadow the bad. If anything I'm pretty sure the sequel will be fantastic.
This is spot on. Almost objective and very unbiased.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
Ditch Horizon and start playing Nier Automata.

I hated the demo for Neir when I played it but I may pick it up on Black Friday. The story and combat disinterested me but I like the level design.

Paterson

Banned
But the opposite hyperbole where the game is lauded as a ground-breaking masterpiece is acceptable?

It is a copy paste of every other open world game before it, albeit in an amazingly detailed and realized open world.

Don't forget the puke-inducing FOV.

I has similarly tough experience getting into Horizon when I first started. I tried to run around and get places just to do missions, always end up getting killed and having to restart progress. Then I tried the gung ho approach, and constantly needed to retreat and get resources. So then I started building up my inventory.

The game can kind of be unforgiving, especially at first. I would suggest lowering the difficulty one notch and seeing if you pickup the mechanics better. Try grinding while doing a few side-quests. It really started picking up for me after I enjoyed getting out in the wilderness. Also, the first skill tree I upgraded all the way was the one wear you can call a mount at any time. So worth it instead of running everywhere, plus you can fast travel of it

A game isn't overrated because you didn't like it. The fact is, almost everyone loves it, and many consider it a masterpiece. It's rated just fine - that's a pretty accurate description, and most people that pick it up will like it. You just don't like it.

Uuuh Yeah that is exactly why i think it is overrated af. The game is a typical 7/10 game for me that looks good. It’s above average. I dont dislike it that much it’s just nothing special. Hence it is overrated when there’s people that think it is the best thing since slices bread.

Megatron

Op, I think you will get used to it. I didn't see you say how far in you are, but it can't be very far if watchers are still a problem for you. Just get used to scanning the area around you, if you see hostile machines, go a different way or take them out with stealth. There are tons of places you an go with no enemies, but the game makes it very easy to tell if you have enemies around you.

Discusguy

I’m a few hours in. I’m a seeker. The game is getting repetitive and boring. Easy lure stealth kils is a game breaker. I think I’m done with this game. Not even the amazing graphics are helping to keep me interested.

base

Banned

Negative points first:
Positive Points
  • I'm in love with Aloy.

Not monsters but machines...

Rellik

the trolls really took over

rip neogaf

Yep. And this hardcore warrior here completely embarrassing themselves. Is this what this place is going to be with no mods?

The story is OK but the actually gameplay is a complete bore. The best part of the game is watching Sony fanboys try to claim it's on the same level as Breath of the Wild. lol

Caught one.

Yep, which means most of Sony's upcoming lineup is going to suck since they all use the same lame hiding-in-the-grass mechanic.

Not nearly as funny as the fanboys who can't stand hearing anything remotely negative about the game. Their salt seasons millions of meals.

If this is the future of GAF then this place will dry up even more.

Hey mods, how is it that we literally have some fucking guy with a literal gamergate avatar on these forums?

Mods? Aren't those the things you add to Skyrim to improve the experience?

leehom

Put ten hours into it and didn't really like the game either.

Recently bought TF2 for 10, played a couple of hours and didn't like it at all. Traded it back in and got 7. Losing 3 for basically a rental isn't bad.

Top Bottom