• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Red Faction: Guerilla Thread of Rhinopackin' through Space

pr0cs

Preordered a few weeks ago.

I'm a Volition fanboy, so me buying it was a given.

I have a hardon for sandbox games and this one is going to be a great interpretation on that, Volition do know how to make sandbox games fun.

Gowans

I really hope I can get a good crew running in the mutli.

being able to team work with the powerups and repair and block out environment could lead to some awesome tactics.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
pr0cs said:
Preordered a few weeks ago.

I'm a Volition fanboy, so me buying it was a given.

I have a hardon for sandbox games and this one is going to be a great interpretation on that, Volition do know how to make sandbox games fun.

Off the heels of Saint's Row 2, I have been looking for a sandbox game. This looks like this will be it.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Gowans007 said:
I really hope I can get a good crew running in the mutli.

being able to team work with the powerups and repair and block out environment could lead to some awesome tactics.

PS3 or 360?

Gowans

dskillzhtown said:
PS3 or 360?

I'm going 360, few of my mates are in but would love getting together with a vocal GAF crew communicating well for this, seems like there will be lots to work out.

Like I said in the MP demo thread this games multi has just the right amount of unique elements for me to play it along side the other shooters.

The environment destruction/rebuilding + the crazy (& fun) power ups hopefully will lead to some interesting things going on.

Phthisis

Gowans007 said:
I'm going 360, few of my mates are in but would love getting together with a vocal GAF crew communicating well for this, seems like there will be lots to work out.

Like I said in the MP demo thread this games multi has just the right amount of unique elements for me to play it along side the other shooters.

The environment destruction/rebuilding + the crazy (& fun) power ups hopefully will lead to some interesting things going on.

360 here. I'm in.

Drek

Musashi Wins! said:
Those were not so awesome, imo.

But this demo sure was. I like how many little paths I took in the demo. All that groovy emergent gameplay. Ok, maybe, but it does seem like fun.
You didn't think the first Red Faction was an impressive game for its time?

The GeoMod capabilities in RF1 beat out anything seen on consoles even up to now and the game itself was pretty damn good too. I'd say its one of the best console FPS of last generation, and probably the best to grace the PS2.

OneLetter said:
Also, the pre-order Walker Figurine can be found:

In the US @ Best Buy

Looks like I need to pre-order here instead. The golden sledgehammer is cool... but this will look cooler next to a half smashed lego building.

TheKingsCrown said:
Yeah they are giving me a free game and some other stuff for the Ostrich hammer thing, so I am excited too! I will post pics of the stuff when I get it! Go Volition!
Hell yeah.

I must admit, I expected an Official Red Faction: Guerilla Thread of Ostrich Hammers.

Amir0x

Banned
Gowans007 said:

I'm game for some GAF 360 Red Faction strategizin'.

I love this game so much. Just the content we have in the multiplayer demo causes so much mayhem and craziness and emergent strategies.

This one motherfucker was camping the one townhall(?), shooting from a window at everyone passing by. I threw a bunch of those sticky bomb things underneath his floor and BLEW IT UP, and he fell through and was killed instantly. So much satisfying shit in this game.

I have to say, after playing through half the game for a preview and now through the whole game for a review, and having put some solid hours in multiplayer, I'm very satisfied with the end product. Can't say much more than this game just remains fun to play after hours and hours of playtime.

It's like it taps in this prime feeling in you that wants to destroy stuff. Addicting.

After playing the demo I will most likely be picking this up on 360 instead of Prototype.

Send me a message on Live for some multiplayer games.

Amir0x

Banned
Also, and this is just an observation but... the next time someone asks what gameplay possibilities next-gen power has delivered, kindly punch them in the face. Then give them this game.

pr0cs

In my limited multiplayer experience I found that if you aren't on a team that communicates you're at a serious disadvantage. Sure the same holds true in any multiplayer game I guess but in a lot of them I was able to hold my own. In Guerilla playing with the denizens of XBL my 'team' got stomped pretty much every time if people didn't talk.

Hopefully more encouragement for GAF to play along.

Maybe someone can make a GAF clan on XBL and people can join that way (friends list share thingy).

Amir0x said:
I'm game for some GAF 360 Red Faction strategizin'.

I love this game so much. Just the content we have in the multiplayer demo causes so much mayhem and craziness and emergent strategies.

This one motherfucker was camping the one townhall(?), shooting from a window at everyone passing by. I threw a bunch of those sticky bomb things underneath his floor and BLEW IT UP, and he fell through and was killed instantly. So much satisfying shit in this game.

here's one defense strategy, seal yourself into a crate using the reconstructor, then rhino out when the point you're defending is being threatened; get a few teammates to do it with adjacent crates, enjoy hilarity

Amir0x

Banned
MrCompletely said:
here's one defense strategy, seal yourself into a crate using the reconstructor, then rhino out when the point you're defending is being threatened; get a few teammates to do it with adjacent crates, enjoy hilarity

lol that's ridiculous

but awesome

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
MrCompletely said:

:lol :lol

Something about that reminds me of Sideways Guy in 24.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
MrCompletely said:

I actually did that when someone called me while I was playing, just hid in a crate and rebuilt it really fast then was able to talk for a little bit in safety. :lol

This game wasn't anywhere on my radar until the demo, now it's a day one, can't wait. Also, about the preorder bonuses, are the 4 wrecking crew maps only with gamestop(i.e., a part of the handbook)?

Klocker

Kuroyume said:
I put bombs on our point and when I see it being attacked I just blow the person up. :lol

don't they also blow if they hammer on them? :D

yea, remote charges make this game. no wait the backpacks, no wait, the hammer, no wait, the destructibility, no wait, the uber fast connection matchmaking, no wait, the 21 maps, no wait, the game variations offered up by volition. :lol

my favorite game (based off of demos) so far this Gen

Gowans

Maybe we should set up a GAF Red Faction Group Gamertag for some on this, gona grab it from a 24 hour Supermarket at Midnight and might take the Friday off to just enjoy the game.

Really can't wait for some chatty games to come up with some crazy stuff (I wish it had halos video recording).

Amir0x

Banned
I don't care for early reviews, but if this game was just the multiplayer alone I would rate it 9.0/10.

But again, THIS is the truth:

The technology behind this ability is far beyond anything you’ve seen in a game before; it’s one of this generation’s most significant technological breakthroughs. None of the chaos is scripted. When a building falls, a cloud of smoke doesn’t mask its collapse. A rocket blast to a wall doesn’t create the same hole each time.

Geomod 2.0 is fucking amazing. At first I thought "hey why can't I dig up the ground!? REGRESSION!" And then I thought "FUCK ME IN THE ASS DID THE BUILDING REALLY FALL APART LIKE THAT!?"

The game is all raining destruction piece by piece, with your cold, bloodied hands.

Plus I didn't know about this:

As you tear down buildings, EDF’s standing in the world is reduced, meaning fewer troops to deal with in future missions. The feeling that you are overthrowing an empire is strongly conveyed, giving the player that extra push to crush every EDF possession, even their trashcans.

THIS GAME CANNOT COME SOON ENOUGH

Sasquatch

Really enjoying the demo, and just preordered on Amazon. I really didn't expect to have this much fun with this.

Does anyone know if the concussion backpack will repel rockets? That could be pretty fun.

HaL64

Sasquatch said:
I really didn't expect to have this much fun with this.

Why do people keep saying this? Is it just the lack of decent marketing/hype? (there is seriously little coverage of this game so close to launch)
Or is it just one of those games that has to be played to "get it" ?

Sasquatch

HaL64 said:
Why do people keep saying this? Is it just the lack of decent marketing/hype? (there is seriously little coverage of this game so close to launch)
Or is it just one of those games that has to be played to "get it" ?

Well I went in to it pretty blind; it just looked like another shooter to me. I figured I'd try it out when it was cheap. I now know the error of my ways. I'll be playing it when it comes out.

Soooooo I had tried the SP demo a while back and after getting killed immediately before I even got close to the Mech, like several times, I just gave the hell up and deleted it. But after seeing Amirox's vibrant enthusiasm for it, I redownloaded it today. I don't know how I managed to survive long enough to get to the truck, but I did, and that got to me to survive long enough to get to the Mech, which got me to survive long enough to get to the truck. Which got me to survive long enough to the bad assest thing ever.

Picking off those tanks from the back of the truck was such a staggering display of physics I could hardly believe it. The way they flew off in the perfect direction, crumpling when they landed. I must've nailed a dozen of them and it never got old.

I went from really having little interest in this game after the initial frustration to being completely in love with it once I properly finished the demo.

Well done.

The Stealth Fox

I want to buy this, but my main fear is that the mission design may contain the mindnumbing repetitiveness of Far Cry 2/Assassin's Creed, and I certainly don't want that.

I'll wait for some more impressions and comparisons to the mission design of those games, and then I'll see.

I found the demo awesome though. My friend said it best: "It's like playing with bubble wrap." I played the demo like 15 times.

But still, I don't want Ubi-like repetitive mission design, and that's my main fear. I have a hard time driving myself to complete Far Cry 2, and I got it for cheap.

Edit: After more thoughts, and RF:G could probably be less repetitive than FC2 because probably most of the missions are "smash shit", but man, smashing shit is so fun (which is why I loved the demo so much). FC2 didn't really boast much other than a beautiful environment, but you could barely interact with it (there were like two zebras the whole game and the only interesting tech there is the way fire spreads).

I have a PS3, so I'm still waiting to see the MP demo. It sounds very robust though, so that's also leaning me towards a purchase.

Phthisis

BenjaminBirdie said:
Picking off those tanks from the back of the truck was such a staggering display of physics I could hardly believe it. The way they flew off in the perfect direction, crumpling when they landed. I must've nailed a dozen of them and it never got old..

Making them fly up in the air and then bullseyeing them before they hit the ground is a thing of beauty.

El-Suave

German magazine "M! Games" has a review - a whopping 87% - highest score of this issue and there were some other great games released.

It will be cut in Germany - no violence towards civilians, explosive devices can't be attached to humans.

glaurung

I don't understand how the game mechanics would work without violence toward civilians - in the demos so far accidentally killing civilians meant lowering the morale of the resistance movement.

Does the German version have civilians that get up after being hit, scoff at you and walk away?

As far as I see, this is a well conceived mechanic that should not be broken.

tyagi

I had no expectations of this before trying the single-player demo. First play of the demo didn't impress because I felt that the environment destruction was just a gimmick that would wear thin very quickly.

However, after reading a bit about the game and trying the demo again, it clicked and was excellent fun. Played it through a few times. The key was being creative in my approach to the mission. Then after watching one of the recent YouTube videos with a mission walkthrough... SOLD.

After playing the demo of both this and Infamous, Red Faction looks like the pick of the "open world mission" titles for me.

Shawsie64

Banned
tyagi said:
I had no expectations of this before trying the single-player demo. First play of the demo didn't impress because I felt that the environment destruction was just a gimmick that would wear thin very quickly.

However, after reading a bit about the game and trying the demo again, it clicked and was excellent fun. Played it through a few times. The key was being creative in my approach to the mission. Then after watching one of the recent YouTube videos with a mission walkthrough... SOLD.

After playing the demo of both this and Infamous, Red Faction looks like the pick of the "open world mission" titles for me.

Do you have a link for that walkthrough?

That Volition video is fantastic. As if I needed another reason to really want this game I want to support devs that have a sense of humor. And they mentioned Gaf in that video.. every Gaf member should buy this game!

Bi50N

Shawsie64 said:
Do you have a link for that walkthrough?

There are a few walk-through vids I'd recommend:

This late game mission run-through as part of the Dev Diary series - about 4 minutes long

http://www.thq-games.com/uk/thqtv/index?movieId=2941

This mission run-through for G4TV - about 14 minutes, lots of additional info

http://g4tv.com/thepile/videos/37734/Red-Faction-Guerrilla-Developer-Walkthrough.html

This SP demo run through - 14 minutes worth, more general info about the differences between the demo and the game

http://www.thq-games.com/uk/thqtv/index?movieId=3086

Top Bottom