• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Probably still recuperating post Code Geass: Akito; I doubt he expected to be consumed by that project for so damn long. He's not exactly a spring chicken any more either; I hope we get some more shows from him.

The movie isn't as enjoyable as the TV series but it has its moments - and certainly a great deal of lush animation and gorgeous music. I have often wondered what they could have done with the alternate universe of the film if it had been expanded to OVA size; the spins on various characters could have been interesting with more time, and I would have liked to have seen something made of Sora rather than the rather paltry characterisation she gets.

I actually completely missed Akito, thought that he hasn't done anything as chief director since Birdy. A ~year gap isn't even a break really, will be on the lookout for his next project. Might even check Akito if I don't need Geass proper for that.

Wood Man

Sakura Quest [Finale]

This is a show I appreciated watching 1 or 2 episodes at a time. I liked coming back to it every week or 2. That seemed to be enough. I don't know if I could've binged Sakura Quest. It's an insightful show and I liked just about all the characters. Kadota is the best. Anyone who liked New Game or Shirobako should give this a watch.

The ending was good and ot too many shows pull this off. It gives you closure in a good way but leaves room for possibility. I'll admit I got a little misty-eyed in the end when
Kadota was running with the train.

TrueBlue

How is the boyfriend the fan favorite? I thought people didn't care about him.

No idea, I read it here once. It made me raise an eyebrow to be sure - though going off the premise alone, the nice boyfriend probably has a decent amount of sympathetic suppirt.

EDIT: Though if said character is really dull, I guess that would play into things.

Sterok

Made in Abyss 12

More relaxing stuff. Including a bit of revenge. I suppose no one will complain if the orbed-piercer takes a break for awhile.
Nanachi wanting someone to kill Mitty for her didn't really shock me. It would likely be a mercy kill she herself can't go through.

Don't make me upload my rendition of Aoi Tori on the Kazoo and Vocals.

04b81rk6.jpg

Go ahead, bro!

[Made in Abyss] - 12

Not a particularly noteworthy episode after the events of last week.

One thing which has been bugging me for awhile, but which this episode really emphasized, is how discordant the end credits are for this series. Its kind of okay for certain shows to have credits which are slightly off-tone, but it just doesn't work here, You can't have a character say or do something very dark and then just immediately cut to this lighthearted tune.

The main problem is that you want the audience to sit for a moment at the end of the episode to allow them to process what they've seen and reflect on their emotional state. If the credits were dark and sombre, than at least that would give me some breathing room. Or if it just faded to black and you had a few seconds breather. But that isn't the case.

I'm not even saying I want to sit down and watch the whole end credits. I just don't want to be immediately retched out of whatever I am feeling and thinking by a completely discordant piece of music.

Of course, there are some directors who really understand why this is important https://vimeo.com/69164083

It's worth mentioning on the issue you raise here that directors don't always have control over what songs are used for OP/EDs. Members of the production committee may desire to use the anime to promote particular artists and so mandate that particular songs be used by the show. I've heard animation staff talk about this before. We actually know that this is most likely the case for Made in Abyss, as the composers and lyricists for the OP and ED songs are indicated as belonging to Kadokawa in the credits, and Kadokawa is the top company in the production committee, which means that Kadokawa most likely mandated the use of these particular songs, giving director Kojima little if any say in them.

That said, while I agree that both songs are not ideal for the overall tone of the series, and are certainly far inferior to the music (including the vocal insert songs) that Kevin Perkin provides for the soundtrack proper, on the whole Made in Abyss does a good job of not making the transition into them too discordant. The only time where the transition into the ED was too rough was in episode 6, where the harsh sound effect connected with the reveal of Ozen's white cube transitioned abruptly into the ED, without a fade to black. Most episodes make sure to wind down tension before the ED so the transition goes more smoothly (see how episode 10 made sure to have Nanachi guiding Reg to its hideout as a way to dissipate some of the tension that accompanied the attack on Riko and Reg's despair), and often do include a fade to black. Indeed, episode 12 had a slow fade to black before the ED sequence kicked in, which is why I didn't feel the transition into the ED in the episode was particularly jarring. So given what there is to work with, the directing staff are doing a pretty good job of being aware of what needs to happen to set the appropriate mood.

Of course, overall Made in Abyss' sound and music direction is simply superb. It's at the high levels that shows such as Bungo Stray Dogs and ReLIFE operate on in that department, which as a musician helps immensely in selling me on a show.

JCG

I actually completely missed Akito, thought that he hasn't done anything as chief director since Birdy. A ~year gap isn't even a break really, will be on the lookout for his next project. Might even check Akito if I don't need Geass proper for that.

It's primarily self-contained. I would say you don't necessarily have to watch the original show first, for the most part, outside of a cameo or two. Just don't expect much of an explanation for the powers.

For the record, I enjoyed it. Akito reflects many of Akane's tastes, virtues and flaws as a director/writer. Which can be interesting to analyze. Also, the 3D work is pretty great.

John Blade

Finish watching this show and have to say, if you want an anime show which play safe, doesn't take too serious, and entertain almost all the way, then this show might be something to look at as I have a good time watching it.

The story take place in future mars where the planet is now cover in water but still have ice which cover the top crust of the planet. Human lives in this drifting city ships which is located around this planet. Economy of Mars is bad after the big wars with Earth and they isn't much work for the people in Mars. This doesn't help with government corruption which isn't helping to fix the issue for Mars and kinda a lap dog for the Earth Government. For this, it's a perfect opportunity where Pirates raid the city ships for supplies and sell it in the black market. This become a big issue that the Earth Government dispatched they special force to counterattack this pirate. One of this pirate is a the most renowned and fear, Ship of Aurora. You follow two MC in this show. One, Gram, who is a normal Mars resident who is taking care of his two children in the city ship while trying to find work. For the other, Vess Vestemona , who is transfer from Earth to Mars under Earth Special Force to combat the pirate. Little this two MC know, an event will trigger both of them to the point they will become enemies from different side.

The story of the show wasn't original (in a way it play very safe in the story side when I think about this) but did throw in some interesting ideas to make it a bit different with tons of other animated show at the time. Also, the story manage to have many elements of action, drama, comedy, and romance which mix well (somewhat) and help push the show a bit more better as you continue watching it. If I have to throw in a negative is might be how they try to tell the story. The 1st 10 episodes, it feel a bit of a episodic style story telling and some of this episode, it feel like a filler episode which it isn't. Most of this is trying to develop the secondary characters in the show you will be following in the Ship of Aurora which bring in the character development.

If you want to put a strength of this show, I will put character development as one of the big strength when watching. As you process through the show, you start to be introduce to the crew of Aurora. At first, this development might not interested you a bit at the beginning but it become important as you continue watch the show. In the way, it help me to like most of the secondary characters you will be following during the show whether it's their past or what they're trying to accomplish to their personalities. They even got two character who is actually animals (a cat and a dolphin) who can even talk which make the show even more odd but fun to watch. Hell, by the end of the series, you will even respect the main villain who you fight during the show as he become an important point of the show between the two MC and the conclusion.

Also, like the connection between the two MC and how at the beginning become enemies even though they don't want to but start the change as you continue watching and eventually they work together as a team with a common goal.

As for animation, I can't say much for the most part. Kinda feel okay and a bit generic to tell the truth. Nothing really catch my attention with the animation of the show. The mecha animation look fine for what it's and it did remind me a bit of Zone of Enders but it still not too interesting when they're many other mecha anime at the time the show release. Kinda sad as it's under Bones Studio which tend to bring out great animation work at the time. I guess the only animation which catch my attention might be character animation of the eye. Don't know why but it feel odd to see the eye animation they use for the characters. Just something which I notice every time I watch the show.

Even with this, the show is fun to watch. The story isn't hard to follow (join pirate, fight government in mech, get the booty gold, get girl), and I did get entertain for the most part. It isn't for everyone if you want something more than a safe show which don't try anything crazy but it's something if you want to feel the space when you have nothing to watch of the other anime. Worth the watch.

tumblr_mhtawiGuI81qmpg90o1_500.gif

tumblr_mf0703xwdh1qmpg90o1_500.gif

tumblr_mf1155Ewlc1qmpg90o1_500.gif

tumblr_mf11klw5lK1qmpg90o1_500.gif

DNAbro

Made in Abyss 12

It's a shame they won't get to the best part of this series and the one part I wanted to see animated the most after I started reading it.

My Hero Academia 36

Sorry, show, but there's no way you're going to get me to think of Mineta as heroic or likable in any way.

In general, these battles between students and teachers have been too easy for the students to win. If a teacher deliberately goes easy I can understand it, but otherwise it's pretty lame for these supposed "pro heroes" to not be able to handle a couple of amateur kids. I know the audience is supposed to be rooting for the students and glad to see them succeed, but it almost seems like the students are better than the teachers like this, in which case why are they in school? It doesn't help that a lot of this, with juggling all the class members, feels so perfunctory, like all the filler battles in the earlier tournament.

My Hero Academia has its moments, but it still feels like so much less than what it could be if it had a bit more boldness.

Moaradin

My Hero Academia 36

Sorry, show, but there's no way you're going to get me to think of Mineta as heroic or likable in any way.

In general, these battles between students and teachers have been too easy for the students to win. If a teacher deliberately goes easy I can understand it, but otherwise it's pretty lame for these supposed "pro heroes" to not be able to handle a couple of amateur kids. I know the audience is supposed to be rooting for the students and glad to see them succeed, but it almost seems like the students are better than the teachers like this, in which case why are they in school? It doesn't help that a lot of this, with juggling all the class members, feels so perfunctory, like all the filler battles in the earlier tournament.

My Hero Academia has its moments, but it still feels like so much less than what it could be if it had a bit more boldness.

I mean, the show has pointed out multiple times that the teachers have been going easier on them and purposely leaving openings. Plus they straight up have handicaps with the weights.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Episode 23 of Heybot with the video game parodies was amazing...did anyone here catch them all when it aired?

My favorite was probably seeing the samurai game from Kirby Super Star. There's been a few Kirby references I've noted before this episode, like Whispy Woods in the background once and Nejiru getting into a Super Star-style cannon.

And now I got to the introduction of Chigiru and Peyket. They seem like fun additions. Using the "x" of a screw to represent both multiplication and "wrong answers" is clever. This show's got a lot of good puns, though I don't get all of them with my limited Japanese.

duckroll

Probably still recuperating post Code Geass: Akito; I doubt he expected to be consumed by that project for so damn long. He's not exactly a spring chicken any more either; I hope we get some more shows from him.

I doubt it's entirely that, rather it takes a while to get a new project going from pre-production to announcement. He already storyboarded a BUNCH of Gundam IBO episodes post-Akito so he isn't avoiding Sunrise or anything. (Although curiously enough, anime magazines used his real name in the credits they published, but the actual show uses a pseudonym for some reason... lol)

DNAbro

Food Wars 21-22

Idk what even counts as curry anymore. Kind of dislike setting up all these new characters real quick and finishing them off quickly. At least Megumi gets through.

edit

Food Wars 23-24
And that's the end of the first season i think. The show feels kind of shallow at times but it's a ton of fun.

Kenstar

[Made in Abyss] - 12

One thing which has been bugging me for awhile, but which this episode really emphasized, is how discordant the end credits are for this series. Its kind of okay for certain shows to have credits which are slightly off-tone, but it just doesn't work here, You can't have a character say or do something very dark and then just immediately cut to this lighthearted tune.

The main problem is that you want the audience to sit for a moment at the end of the episode to allow them to process what they've seen and reflect on their emotional state. If the credits were dark and sombre, than at least that would give me some breathing room. Or if it just faded to black and you had a few seconds breather. But that isn't the case.

I'm not even saying I want to sit down and watch the whole end credits. I just don't want to be immediately retched out of whatever I am feeling and thinking by a completely discordant piece of music.

Of course, there are some directors who really understand why this is important https://vimeo.com/69164083

have you seen clannad after story
you wanna talk about dissonant credits

jman2050

Doki Doki Literature Club (English-language VN)

So this was released today. Apparently the guy who did that 20XX mod for Melee was working on a game for the past two years and this is what he came up with. Anime Dating Sim VN is an interesting choice of genre for someone's first original game, to say the least.

Premise is mega-cliche and the characters are pretty flat and typical of the genre, but fully featured English-language VNs with decent art are pretty rare so I found it interesting enough. Also kind of helps that it's free. It's not a bad way to kill a couple of hours honestly.
Also Sayori best girl.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
[Made in Abyss] - 12

I mean...one of the messages the story keeps trying to drill in is that the people around the Abyss keep pushing forward no matter what, and that hope is more important to them than anything. In that sense an ending theme that can be somewhat uplifting matches the tone of the series overall. Even if bad things happen in Made in Abyss I would not inherently say that the series is overwhelmingly dark or dreary. In the instance of this particular episode the ending note is about Nanachi pressing on, and we know what fate holds for her already.

I think there's also merit to having an ending theme that allows people to decompress in the wake of the intensity of an episode instead of just holding the same note. This is how the show parts ways with the viewer after all. For Made In Abyss that downtime helps me process a few things and then I like hearing the little jingle attached to the next episode bumper that comes after. I actually feel like it all works pretty well.

duckroll

Bahamut Virgin Soul - Episode 23

Action was pretty good. Lots of cool effects. The show really knows spectacle on a large scale. Not sure about the end of the episode though. Kinda... eh.... Hopefully we get a solid ending next week. One thing I can say about the sequel without a doubt is that it's very consistent in character, themes, and writing. Having one person write the entire thing really helped.

daveo42

Banned
Bahamut Virgin Soul - Episode 23
City fight was good and Rita showing off why she's probably the best character in the entire series. Al totally deserved more than what he got out of this episode, but at least he got something. As for that end
the kill shot on Kaiser sucks cause he's one of the better characters in the show. I get that they need King Genocide alive to power Deimos, but potentially losing Kaiser is a poor trade off. Ehh...I think he'll still survive it or whatever.

Still coming off the second half of the show as weaker than the first half and Genesis in terms of story progression. I look forward to what budget they had left to visually splurge some neat looking stuff on the screen for the finale

Made in Abyss - 12
Info on the curse was pretty neat, though it makes sense with why it only works one way. The Mitty stuff was quite disturbing yet again and I really want to know who she really is and her connection to Rita. I have my theories on that and hopefully some of those can be resolved in the finale. Based on what's left, it seems like I'll be picking up the manga going forward as I really like the show and want more of it.

ibyea

Banned
Blood Blockade Battlefront: 7
Decent Klaus centered episode, but nothing too memorable. We also get to see more of Black.

What's that relaxing series with the purple haired little girl called again? Never looked particularly appealing to me but I need one of those shows and can't think of anything else right now.

edit: It came to me, Non Non Biyori.

Should I Just watch the 'repeat' version?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Actually this must be been going for ages, my history is completely fucked up. Who the fuck is watching boruto on my fucking account

Exact same thing happened to me. Some sort of boruto, one piece, and dragon maid watcher. I kinda didn't care until they one day decided to change the password and email address on me, and after a quick email to support, change of passwords, and deactivation of any devices, they no longer have access at all. They even changed my entire queue, but it was probably due for a cleaning anyway.

I really don't know what they expected taking it that far.

100% Teacher Pascal Episode 24

The high stakes attempt through a gravity chamber to get the homework handouts was memorable and will probably be the thing that makes me laugh the most today.

Also Kanemori Steeeeeeve kun not being able to crane game, lol I guess money cant get you everything.

DNAbro

My Hero Academia S2 Episode 24

I love seeing Bakugo get this shit beat out of him. I remember this fight being a little more enjoyable in the manga though it has been a while since I read it.

Also they shouldn't have spoiled the main thing that happens in the next episode in the preview. I remember that surprising the hell out of me when it occurred. Can't believe there is only one more episode left.

Miracle Vatican Examiner Episode 12 END

How nice the final episodes ends up as the best episode, everyone always feels much closer than mere friends, but too bad for Roberto's friend :(

Ryoto having all the bad luck, I hope Hiraga wont also die, but at least he had this god given miracle just in time. If only IRL bone cancer could be cured like that.

Dali

How good is Neo Yokio?
The animation itself is terrible. The show is a combination of jadenisms and I suppose stuff uber rich manhattanites would find interesting. I only watched up to episode 3 though. It's not bad... just not very good either.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G Next Episode 44 (Engdub)

Well no one really expected Team Jamie Flowers to face off against Team Diffriders, but Im just glad Enishiwishi got himself a win these season, hes so underrated.

And I hope we are finally getting more on Miguel, so strange to kill someone in like the first few episodes, make him have such an effect on Tokoha and never give him anytype of development.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My Hero Academia Season 2, Episode 24:

An episode where Deku and Bakugo get their asses kicked is certainly fine by me and I am glad we are moving on from the Final Exam arc as it was never as compelling as this show thought it would be. Shockingly this is not the endpoint of the season as we got to build the threat for the net one.

YGO Zexal Episode 96

What?
Ray Shadows is Vector, how did they even plan that so far in advance, I thought he was going to be one of Yuuma's closest new friends at least, but his best friend turning into the antagonist. I hadnt expected this ygo to get that emotional that I would cry because of this and Yuumas look of despair, actually everyone. This is not the ray way anyone wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom