• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

What's the entry cost and overall cost of playing x wing?

It can vary greatly. If you can build a force for play of your choice only buying what you need to make a specific list, it can cost anywhere from 60-125$, but more options and builds you attempt, different factions, etc, it's just gonna grow.

Brakke

Banned
What's the painting challenge this month? Finally got back in the saddle and got some painting time in over the last week. Want another project to roll into next.

Woorloog

Banned
What's the entry cost and overall cost of playing x wing?

$40 entry (Core set).
Do note the core set doesn't offer much variety and most certainly not enough ships and upgrades for 100 point squadron.

Then it depends.

If you focus on one faction (ie find others to play with who have a fleet), the cost will depend on how big collection you want and how carefully you plan ahead. Double it if you want two factions and/or provide ships and upgrades for your opponent.
Getting another core set seems like a useful start if you're not sure what you're doing.

Additional ships cost $15 each usually, though some are $20 and larger ships are $30 or more. Ship packs included upgrades that are also useful to other factions.

A typical squadron is 100 points worth of ships and upgrades. High quality low numbers squadron costs little in terms of ships but you may need upgrades from other sets. A swarm squadron (eg 8x TIE fighers) needs a lot of ships but upgrades are less essential.
It seems that unit count for a squadron (with that 100 point limit) ranges from 1 to 8 (or more?), with somewhere between being more common.

EDIT To me, BattleMonkey's suggested range is likely low-end range. Nothing compared to my BattleTech collection though... and it is not extensive.

Leunam

What's the painting challenge this month? Finally got back in the saddle and got some painting time in over the last week. Want another project to roll into next.

Duel at Dusk. Two model duel diorama. I might be able to put an entry together myself, just a matter of whether I can make a nice base for them.

GW has labelled the upcoming Warhammer Underworlds a core product line game, buckets of support planned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIN81rrpC3g

1k8iBQF.jpg

KWIl8Pc.jpg

17359471_1279107182168109_214284874663534583_o.jpg.059945d24166c4ccf9bf822326216b30.jpg

Warhammer Underworlds is a new tactical arena combat game on its way later this year. This is a system designed for balanced, small-scale tactical games, that can be played quickly and easily by anyone, but which even experienced players will find challenging to master. The game rules are designed with competitive play in mind; matches can be played in under 45 minutes, on a smaller surface than our larger-scale games, and will be ideal for club or tournament play. And not only that, we'll be fully supporting an organised play system for this game, right from day one.

While the format of the game is a big departure from the game of Warhammer Age of Sigmar, Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire is still firmly set in the Mortal Realms. The game is set in the Shadespire – an ancient and damned city, cursed by the Lord of Undeath to eternally sit in limbo between the realms of Light and Shadow – a haunted metropolis of mirrors, unquiet spirits and ever-shifting chambers.

The forces you can use in this game will be drawn from races across the Mortal Realms, including some for factions that have not received any new miniatures since we first ventured into the Age of Sigmar. Each of these sets will be composed of a small band of easy-to-assemble, push-fit miniatures in the style of our single-pose heroes to represent a specific band of warriors from that faction. These are provided in coloured plastic, and clip together, so you can quite literally be playing with them within minutes of opening the box with no glue or paint needed! (Though they do look great painted, and your dice will roll better – probably.)

The first two factions showcased in detail are iconic adversaries: organised Eternals Liberators and Khorne Bloodreavers. You can see from the poses of these models already that these are really dynamic and impressive miniatures. And yes, that is a lady Liberator in the video, organised, with a classic hammer and shield combo – for those of you who might have doubted whether Sigmar was an equal opportunities employer.

The game is played using unique dice and card decks, and these will, to an extent, be unique to each faction. Both decks of cards used in the game are fully customisable – meaning you can choose to create all manner of combinations of overlapping abilities to use and objectives to achieve. This can be a really rewarding part of the game – and means that even the same faction can be played in wildly different ways. We're expecting to see all sorts of combinations tried out at game stores, clubs and in tournaments.

So, in summary, a new game set in the Mortal Realms with easy to learn, difficult to master rules, combined with deck-building mechanics and multiple factions makes this a game that will be simple to start, but offers near limitless tactical challenge and replayability.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/23/shadespire-unveiled/

The initial set includes the first female Stormcast mini:
imageproxy.phpcru1f.jpg

The Underworlds minis will have Warscrolls for AoS too.

Speaking of Warscrolls, the community-created Warscroll Builder (AoS army builder) is being made official and moved to a GW website, while staying free to use:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/23/warscroll-builder-coming-soon/

They're also launching an interactive FAQ platform for rules questions and community voting on rulings :D

Games Workshop with all the announcements!

Looks like they are further becoming less assholes, and are lifting their restriction on online stores from selling their products as well as discounts. A maximum discount of 15% off is being allowed, but GW products will finally be able to be purchased from your favorite online retailers once again.

Female stormcasts <3 I'd buy kits of female variants of existing units!

Such exciting stuff coming from GW right now. 8th edition 40k is sounding really great right now, very AoS-like in many ways.

Mikeside

Warhammer Underworlds and 40k 8th Edition both sounding good from the limited info we've got so far.

Really hoping that new 40k either fixes Orks for me or introduces a new race I'm interested in playing, though. I've sort of got buyer's regret with these Skitarii because there's not much I can do with them.

Also really hoping to bust out some Skaven or Seraphon in the fantasy skirmish game. First launch is just going to be Stormcast and Bloodreavers, though, right?

In other news, the scenery I've ordered for Walking Dead: All Out War minis game has started arriving. Looking very nice - I'll post some pics once I've got my board together! Anyone else playing any contemporary-setting minis games? Got any cool scenery recommendations?

Palmer_v1

Warhammer Underworlds and 40k 8th Edition both sounding good from the limited info we've got so far.

Really hoping that new 40k either fixes Orks for me or introduces a new race I'm interested in playing, though. I've sort of got buyer's regret with these Skitarii because there's not much I can do with them.

Also really hoping to bust out some Skaven or Seraphon in the fantasy skirmish game. First launch is just going to be Stormcast and Bloodreavers, though, right?

In other news, the scenery I've ordered for Walking Dead: All Out War minis game has started arriving. Looking very nice - I'll post some pics once I've got my board together! Anyone else playing any contemporary-setting minis games? Got any cool scenery recommendations?

I've been getting into Batman Miniature Game lately, which is sort of contemporary. For the scale of this game, we've been ordering MDF stuff from http://www.multiversegamingterrain.com/ and https://ttcombat.com/

It works well and makes for some cool looking tables. I also ordered a walking dead terrain set that included 4 vehicles and some barricades cause it's about the right size, and is far cheaper than some other options.

Mikeside

I've been getting into Batman Miniature Game lately, which is sort of contemporary. For the scale of this game, we've been ordering MDF stuff from http://www.multiversegamingterrain.com/ and https://ttcombat.com/

It works well and makes for some cool looking tables. I also ordered a walking dead terrain set that included 4 vehicles and some barricades cause it's about the right size, and is far cheaper than some other options.

excellent :) I just got the TTCombat mini mart, playpark set and gas station along with some 4ground buildings (second hand and a great deal from a guy I know on facebook) - just need to get some more natural scenery now I guess.

Would love to hear your thoughts on Batman, because it looks really interesting and I have a buddy who really loved Necromunda, but fell out of the group before we started playing 40k etc, so Batman is probably the best bet on getting him involved again

Leunam

Would love to hear your thoughts on Batman, because it looks really interesting and I have a buddy who really loved Necromunda, but fell out of the group before we started playing 40k etc, so Batman is probably the best bet on getting him involved again

I second this. Batman has held my interest for a long time now and I'd love to know more about how it plays. If it can capture the feel of what I expect from skirmish level Batman like Arkham Asylum did then I might be on board.

Currently in the middle of getting back into X-Wing (won my first game last week!), still have some Stormcast and Bloodbound waiting to be painted, deciding on a team for Guild Ball, deciding on a faction for Infinity, piecing together a 30k army, and eagerly awaiting news on the new 40k skirmish game so I can use my Skitarii models. Maybe I have a problem...

Mikeside

I second this. Batman has held my interest for a long time now and I'd love to know more about how it plays. If it can capture the feel of what I expect from skirmish level Batman like Arkham Asylum did then I might be on board.

Currently in the middle of getting back into X-Wing (won my first game last week!), still have some Stormcast and Bloodbound waiting to be painted, deciding on a team for Guild Ball, deciding on a faction for Infinity, piecing together a 30k army, and eagerly awaiting news on the new 40k skirmish game so I can use my Skitarii models. Maybe I have a problem...

Tell me about it!

Right now I've got:

Massive heap of 40k Orks I've fallen out of love with (waiting on skirmish rules and 8e)
Little bit of 40k Skitarii (waiting on 8e I guess)

A few Khone Bloodbound to play the Storm of Sigmar mini game thing with my grandad

Walking Dead All Out War half painted (plus a load of scenery which will need paint)

Zombicide Black Plague to paint
Guild Ball - got Masons half painted, then Morticians, Engineers and Brewers all sat waiting to paint
Endure the Stars, Zombicide Black Plague, Space Cadets Away Missions, Scythe, Shadows of Brimstone, Imperial Assault, Dreadfleet and War of the Ring all sat waiting to be painted and played with more

Then I've got too much that hasn't even arrived yet:
Deep Madness - pledged for everything. That's like 250 miniatures
Village Attacks - everything (though that'll be less than 100. Still too many!)
Dwarves of Iron Peak - luckily this is only about 10 minis!

Even then, I'm having to force myself to stop eyeing up Malifaux because I know there's nobody who wants to play it in my group (and...well, all the above.)

somebody take my bank account away from me :(

Fou-Lu

Even then, I'm having to force myself to stop eyeing up Malifaux because I know there's nobody who wants to play it in my group (and...well, all the above.)

It makes me sad to realize how many people are out there that don't have a Malifaux group just like me who would be happy to play it with me.

Woorloog

Banned
My friend liked X-wing quite a lot. May get a copy of his own.

Unfortunately we didn't have time to finish a complete match (after a couple of starter-mode rules rounds). Picking 80 point game while still unclear about some rules is not ideal way to start, though we managed to cover quite lot of the rules as it is.
But it was fun all the same and highlighted importance of several things (actions, especially focus or evade if not doing anything else), taking asteroids into account, bombs might be unexpected, using missiles is tricky though they're good, etc. etc.
Squads: 2xT-70 X-wings and a K-Wing, vs trio of TIE/fos and a TIE Advanced v1. It is really tricky to fit Rebels to 80 point list without owning cheap ships.

I had intended to buy a TIE/sf but the gaming store had all of them still in warehouse rather than the store proper by mistake, hence the TIE Advanced v1.
Wonder what to get next... The TIE/sf for sure for Empire but what else? And for Rebels... the choice is even harder. So many ships i like for both sides. Probably going to want the old Core Set either way, one extra standard X-wing.

As a side note, one and a half BattleTech BattleSpace space hex maps work out to about 86cmx86cm play area with nice star-field, which is close enough to 3 foot x 3 foot area... for smaller games. Not that i can actually fit a proper map on my table, which is just under 3 foot wide after measuring it.

Leunam

My friend liked X-wing quite a lot. May get a copy of his own.

Unfortunately we didn't have time to finish a complete match (after a couple of starter-mode rules rounds). Picking 80 point game while still unclear about some rules is not ideal way to start, though we managed to cover quite lot of the rules as it is.
But it was fun all the same and highlighted importance of several things (actions, especially focus or evade if not doing anything else), taking asteroids into account, bombs might be unexpected, using missiles is tricky though they're good, etc. etc.
Squads: 2xT-70 X-wings and a K-Wing, vs trio of TIE/fos and a TIE Advanced v1. It is really tricky to fit Rebels to 80 point list without owning cheap ships.

I had intended to buy a TIE/sf but the gaming store had all of them still in warehouse rather than the store proper by mistake, hence the TIE Advanced v1.
Wonder what to get next... The TIE/sf for sure for Empire but what else? And for Rebels... the choice is even harder. So many ships i like for both sides. Probably going to want the old Core Set either way, one extra standard X-wing.

As a side note, one and a half BattleTech BattleSpace space hex maps work out to about 86cmx86cm play area with nice star-field, which is close enough to 3 foot x 3 foot area... for smaller games. Not that i can actually fit a proper map on my table, which is just under 3 foot wide after measuring it.

The old core set has R2-D2, which is a staple in my current Rebel list.

T-70 X-Wing
Poe Dameron
R5-P9
Autothrusters

T-70 X-Wing
Red Ace
Comm Relay
R2-D2
Integrated Astromech

X-Wing
Garven Dreis
R2-D6
Veteran Instincts
Integrated Astromech

It comes in at exactly 100 points but there's stuff in there from other sets. That R5 comes from the Rebel transport I think, Integrated Astromechs are in the T-70, and Comm Relay I believe comes from the Tie/fo.

There is a bit of fiddling around with the tokens here. Poe can be a lot more maneuverable because if he can't Focus action due to performing a much needed surprise red maneuver, Garven can hand it over to Poe after he's used it, which is why he has Veteran Instincts so they both activate together. Poe doesn't spend that token thanks to his card ability, so at the end of combat he instead spends it to regain a shield. There is also some shield regeneration to keep them alive a good deal longer. It's been a fun list.

For rebels the Falcon is a great big base ship. The Heroes of the Rebellion box which comes with Rey and Finn sees a lot of play.

Imperials are apparently in a bad place competitively right now, but as for what to buy, the Tie Strikers, especially Pure Sabacc are pretty cool. Tie Defenders are great too, I plan on flying one this weekend. The Upsilon shuttle is my own next purchase.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm not a competitive player so i don't care what's good per se. (Even if i were, i'd be playing my own thing, regardless whether it makes sense or not.)

Huge ships i'll be ignoring completely. Unfortunately this will mean no x1 title for the TIE Advanced (while i don't care about good and bad, i'm aware of them still).

Of large ships, i'll get the Heroes of the Resistance and Upsilon-class Shuttle eventually but they can wait.

The problem with small ships is that i like nearly all of them. And i'd like to have multiple ones usually. Basically it boils down "what do i prioritize?" which is annoying. Especially if i don't focus on one faction...

If you are playing with friends, don't' think anyone cares if you simply print out copies of the upgrade cards or similar print out of the card rule on paper.

Woorloog

Banned
Don't have a printer. They always break after the warranty runs out.

Next time i'll get a printer, it will be black and white laser. Color is not worth it...

Faiz

The only problem I ended up having with X-wing was that I had no interest in the non-iconic ships.

Which is fine! I'm not into the competitive scene. And the first 4-5 waves gave me tons of the iconic ships I can play with friends and family with in my basement. In a lot of ways that's best for me, heh.

Leunam

That's kind of the problem I have with the Scum releases. For that faction I only really want to play bounty hunters, so Boba, Bossk, and Dengar. I have a few lists that are a combination of those three and double Firespray-31s. But I do like the Scum Y-Wing and Z-95 Headhunter.

Woorloog

Banned
I wish Scum had various pirate ships from X-wing games. SWG ships and bounty hunter ships are meh.

Headhunters and Y-wings and HWK-290s are a good start but other than that... eh. StarViper and Firespray are OK though not my favorites.

I want T-wings, R-41 Starchasers, Pursuer Enforcer Ship, Preybird, Toscan fighter, things like these.

Also, the Empire needs Assault Gunboat and Missile Boat.
And Skipray Blastboat as shared between the Empire and Scum.

Oh, and YT-1300s and YT-2400s probably should be shared between Rebels and Scum, so common ships.

Also, the game needs YT-2000.

(Yes, i'm X-wing Alliance player and fan, in case someone wonders.)

EDIT Speaking of Scum, can they field reasonable squads with just HWKs, Y-wings and Headhunters?

I wish Scum had various pirate ships from X-wing games. SWG ships and bounty hunter ships are meh.

Headhunters and Y-wings and HWK-290s are a good start but other than that... eh. StarViper and Firespray are OK though not my favorites.

I want T-wings, R-41 Starchasers, Pursuer Enforcer Ship, Preybird, Toscan fighter, things like these.

Also, the Empire needs Assault Gunboat and Missile Boat.
And Skipray Blastboat as shared between the Empire and Scum.

Oh, and YT-1300s and YT-2400s probably should be shared between Rebels and Scum, so common ships.

Also, the game needs YT-2000.

(Yes, i'm X-wing Alliance player and fan, in case someone wonders.)

EDIT Speaking of Scum, can they field reasonable squads with just HWKs, Y-wings and Headhunters?

I thought the scum and villainy upgrade pack came with scum and villain cards for the YT-1300 and such

Lot of the EU ships have a chance of happening, they have scrapped the bottom of the barrel with stuff like the Tie Punisher, Aggressors, K-Wings, and the one large empire ship from SWG. So the only limit so far they have shown is that they don't want to do the Clone Wars era. The ARC-170 was a surprise really. I do hope they eventually get off their "no prequel" crap and release those ships too. They are allowing the new trilogy content to play along with the CT stuff, so why not just stick in Clone Wars too, there was a shorter timeline gap between the TCW and CT, than there was compared to the new trilogy.

Woorloog

Banned
Most Wanted seems to come with HWK-290 and Firespray cards (something i like is that it comes with Andrasta title from X-wing Alliance) in addition to Headhunter and Y-wing cards. No YTs at all.

The SWG ships are bottom of the barrel compared to the K-wing which has been in EU for quite long, though it was never popular unlike the E-wing. Or, well, there are even more obscure ships but still. Ships from X-wing are far cooler than the crap from SWG, TIE Aggressor and Oppressor (that isn't fortunately in the game) are overdesigned as TIEs go, the pirate ships are generic, and the TIE Punisher is just silly. SW Battlegrounds was a fun game but the variant ships (and vehicles) were terrible, and i never understood why old EU had to include them to canon.

Prequels would really need their own factions IMO, something i'm not sure i'd call compatible with existing factions. Would the Republic be a sub-faction for the Empire or the Rebels? The Empire is direct continuation in hardware but the Rebels embody the ideals. At the same time, the Separatists don't quite feel like a suitable sub-faction for the Rebels, even though some certainly joined them later.
But if they were new factions, adding them could be slightly complicated for game balance, and producing them would be even bigger problem.
(Prequel setting would be ideal for Armada though, fleet battles were a real thing during the Clone Wars unlike during the Rebellion.)

There's also that there seems to be some kind of "No touching prequels" stance at Lucasfilm. Books, comics, everything we get is currently focused on the Rebellion-era and later. This could be something extended to even X-wing.
(Battlefront 2 is supposed to have battles during multiple eras but for all we know, that might be limited to OT+sequels rather than PT, OT and ST. Though i reckon i'm wrong and we'll get some prequel stuff.)
EDIT Aand i forgot there's a comic about Anakin and Obi-Wan pre-EP2. Maybe most people at Lucasfilm are simply more interested in OT-era than prequels at the moment.

PittaGAF

Hi guys!!!

Long time no see :( but I always lurk.

I finally almost completed painting Silver Tower (my first painting anything ever).
A year later I'm still in love with the game and playing with the painted minis is really awesome, way better than I thought even with newbie skills.

Also, my 8 year son likes painting with me, which is awesome as well.
He just did his Warchanter 1 hour ago, it's still drying and he took many poetic licenses....but I'm so proud, he did all alone by himself.

Ohnonono

lhpdHQ8m.jpg

mpfiB2vm.jpg

couple of quick picks of a work in progress. Have not painted in a loooong time. Going for more of a weird vibe with this stuff. little bit of Blanchitsu if I can pull it off. mostly the armor is done, everything else is just a coat of something. also cloak is not painted at all.

Leunam

I used to skip every Blanchitsu section in White Dwarf but I've recently come to appreciate his style and conversions they feature. I think you're pretty spot on with your version.

Ohnonono

I used to skip every Blanchitsu section in White Dwarf but I've recently come to appreciate his style and conversions they feature. I think you're pretty spot on with your version.

I think it is a really cool way to paint, and a weird intellectual challenge. It is much closer to how I make art outside of miniature painting. Worrying less about how the guide says to do it and just kind of following intuition. I am going to do my whole stormcast army this way. it will take a while but I am excited to see the results when I am done. That said I still love painting more traditional stuff and I have some orks and Tzeentch stuff that will probably get more love like that.

I think it is a really cool way to paint, and a weird intellectual challenge. It is much closer to how I make art outside of miniature painting. Worrying less about how the guide says to do it and just kind of following intuition. I am going to do my whole stormcast army this way. it will take a while but I am excited to see the results when I am done. That said I still love painting more traditional stuff and I have some orks and Tzeentch stuff that will probably get more love like that.

I've said it before in this thread, but style trumps technical painting every time IMO. Your take on the Stormcast is refreshing, unique, and superior to just trying to copy the GW style.

Ohnonono

I've said it before in this thread, but style trumps technical painting every time IMO. Your take on the Stormcast is refreshing, unique, and superior to just trying to copy the GW style.

Thank you zombie lord. Your quest to paint an absurd amount of stuff may have had a bit to do with me picking up my brush again so I appreciate it.

lhpdHQ8m.jpg

mpfiB2vm.jpg

couple of quick picks of a work in progress. Have not painted in a loooong time. Going for more of a weird vibe with this stuff. little bit of Blanchitsu if I can pull it off. mostly the armor is done, everything else is just a coat of something. also cloak is not painted at all.

That there is my favourite Stormcast eternal and it's not even done! Great style!

Palmer_v1

excellent :) I just got the TTCombat mini mart, playpark set and gas station along with some 4ground buildings (second hand and a great deal from a guy I know on facebook) - just need to get some more natural scenery now I guess.

I can post more in depth later on, but overall I'm a fan of the Batman Miniature Game. For reference, I've only played Warmachine and Guildball previously, though I'm aware of 40K, 30K, WHF to some degree. I'm actually going to try and sell all of my Warmachine stuff soon(PM me if you want a bunch of stuff for pretty cheap!) cause at this rate, it's just taking up shelf space for no reason. Guildball, I will play in conjunction with BMG.

Things I like most:

The license is obviously a big deal. Batman is easily recognizable and super hero stuff is pretty popular.

Hard cap of 12 models per side, so it's relatively small scale. Played on a 90x90cm board.

Game seems pretty balanced.

Things I don't like:

It's a Spanish company, and I think a lot of our rules questions come up due to poor translations to English. On the other hand, they're fairly responsive to questions.

Speaking of rules, you currently need a MINIMUM of 2 books, to have access to all rules and keywords, and there are no free rules available, nor any e-books. This game is FULL of keywords.

I'll try to post more in depth later to explain how it actually PLAYS.

There's also a crew builder available at http://hero-builder.net/batman.html which includes character cards.

Shadow Wars and Underworlds are essentially relaunches of Necromunda and Mordheim respectively. The rules aren't exactly the same, but there's a lot of inspiration taken from both games.

Locally, there's been some grumbling about the fact they aren't exact replicas of the older games, but it seems to be heavily outweighed by the realization that these are main-line products (no Forge World tax!) and cross-pollinate with a lot of existing 40K and AoS miniatures.

I'm pretty excited for what happens when you use Underworlds characters in Warhammer Quest or AoS. The Hero minis from Silver Tower are actually really good in AoS (Knight-Questor is super-tanky, Skaven Deathrunner is always fun to play, etc.).

Ohnonono

Shadow Wars and Underworlds are essentially relaunches of Necromunda and Mordheim respectively. The rules aren't exactly the same, but there's a lot of inspiration taken from both games.

Locally, there's been some grumbling about the fact they aren't exact replicas of the older games, but it seems to be heavily outweighed by the realization that these are main-line products (no Forge World tax!) and cross-pollinate with a lot of existing 40K and AoS miniatures.

I'm pretty excited for what happens when you use Underworlds characters in Warhammer Quest or AoS. The Hero minis from Silver Tower are actually really good in AoS (Knight-Questor is super-tanky, Skaven Deathrunner is always fun to play, etc.).

Yup, they are really integrating this stuff together in a way that makes it so that by painting my army now, I can just pick up and play some of this stuff. I will wait for rules but I may be down for the new AoS themed game. Shadow Wars is very likely as I want to paint some 40k stuff, but don't really want to get into a full tabletop army.

Edit: Also additionally I am looking for some ideas about what color/style of base for that stormcast I painted. I have some tiny autumn color leaves, but could go with lots of other options.

Faiz

Er...? Underworlds is a hexgrid arena combat boardgame. I'm not seeing the Mordheim connection.

Er...? Underworlds is a hexgrid arena combat boardgame. I'm not seeing the Mordheim connection.

It borrows most of its rules from Gorechosen, but thematically it's very similar (Warbands, single city, individual items, relics of power, etc.). Though I'd say it's more like a spiritual successor than a by-the-rules relaunch.

Couple this with GW telling us they'll be relaunching their old specialty games in new forms (specifically calling out Necromunda and Mordheim) and then putting these out. I have to assume this is what they were talking about. It'd be kind of strange for them to have yet another AoS-themed skirmish game with warbands. Warhammer Quest, AoS, and Underworlds are all really different in ruleset and playstyle. I'm pretty confident this is what we're getting as a Mordheim replacement, for better or worse.

Shadowwars they specifically say is based off the Necromunda rules, obviously some changes are happening. Underworld is gonna be very different beast, it's only Mordheim in concept, but it looks like it's going for a much much simpler and casual friendly design to try and get in on the X-Wing like market.

It's smart of them to be making these games more cross over friendly, helps promote each game as they all became gateway games into other products. Necromunda was gonna be a hard sell, but making it with focus on actual 40k units, it now is an entry into that game as well as Killteam which also works in similar fashion.

Mikeside

Here's a bunch of my Batman stuff, including some TTCombat buildings. I need to get actual street tiles instead of using an Xwing one. https://imgur.com/a/8lQX8

What's a game of Batman like? What's it most similar to? How long does a match last? Is it fun playing as the villains too?

Sorry for the question bomb, I might be getting some as a gift to my best man if it's as good as it seems. (weird gift I know but fuck it, I'm leaning into being a huge dork)

Faiz

It borrows most of its rules from Gorechosen, but thematically it's very similar (Warbands, single city, individual items, relics of power, etc.). Though I'd say it's more like a spiritual successor than a by-the-rules relaunch.

Couple this with GW telling us they'll be relaunching their old specialty games in new forms (specifically calling out Necromunda and Mordheim) and then putting these out. I have to assume this is what they were talking about. It'd be kind of strange for them to have yet another AoS-themed skirmish game with warbands. Warhammer Quest, AoS, and Underworlds are all really different in ruleset and playstyle. I'm pretty confident this is what we're getting as a Mordheim replacement, for better or worse.

Ok. I just think it's a real stretch to compare Mordheim to Underworlds in any way. A couple similar elements, maybe, but a drastically different base concept.

Palmer_v1

What's a game of Batman like? What's it most similar to? How long does a match last? Is it fun playing as the villains too?

Sorry for the question bomb, I might be getting some as a gift to my best man if it's as good as it seems. (weird gift I know but fuck it, I'm leaning into being a huge dork)

It's sort of a hybrid of a few games. This is how you make your crew pre-game.

You'll start by choosing your Crew and Leader, which feels a bit like Malifaux, Warmachine, Guildball. Then you'll fill out your crew based on reputation points and funding cost. Typical game is 350 rep and 1500 funding. Rep is generally a mark of how good their base stats/traits are, while funding is more about the equipment they bring. Leftover rep is wasted, but leftover funding can be uses to purchase equipment for your henchment. Each crew has specific equipment available to them, though there is a lot of crossover.

Speaking of Henchmen, your crew can have 1 Leader, 1 Sidekick, up to 2 Free Agents, and a variable number of henchmen, though you can only have 12 models total on the table. An average crew will have 7-8 models, but some lists(Joker and Penguin for example) are specifically good at just running a bunch of henchmen. Some lists prefer to focus on 5-6 elite models, like Green Arrow, Batman, or Suicide Squad teams. Anything below 5 seems to be a bad idea due to how scenarios work, i.e. Batman/Nightwing/Swamp Thing might be super good, but theycan only project force so far.

You'll also pick 3 objectives when you make your team, which is what you actually need to score to win. Games are played over 6 rounds, with most VPs winning. Objectives include Titan Dispensers, Loot, Safes, Joker Canisters, Riddler Puzzles, Ammo Crates Bat Signal. You can also score points for knocking out or killing enemies, but it's not always the best way. Each scenario may also have special ways to score points.

You allocate tokens to your people at the start of the round(Attack, Defense, Movement, and Special), then alternate activations with your opponent. Objectives score at the end of each round. To attack someone, I'd assign my attack dice to eligible targets, than roll them all. Have to match or exceed target's defense to hit. You use d6 for everything. Then target can spend defense counters to try and block by rolling against MY attack stat. Any hits remaining then have to be rolled for damage with a collateral die. For damage, you roll against your own strength. So a random joker clown might only have two attack, which makes him easy to block, and need 5s to damage, and only do one stun per damage, while someone like Deathstroke is 5 attack, 3s for damage, can reroll misses, and does 2 blood per damage.

You can allocate a number of tokens equal to your Willpower stat. Most henchment are going to be 4-5 range. Most Leaders and the elite free agents will be 7-8. You also have an endurance stat, which is how much damage you can take. Again, henchmen can usually only take 4-5 damage, while most leaders and free agents will be closer to 8, with a few brawlers as high as 10-11. Think Swamp Thing, Clayface, Bane.

Most henchment are also only going to cost you 15-25 rep, while Deathstroke is like 135. Most of the Batman variants are around 100-120 as well. Free Agents range from 40-135, though it's kind of a bell curve with most being in the 70ish range.

Terrain matters a lot in this game, which is the biggest change from the Warmachine and Guildball tables I'm used to. There are a lot of acrobatic characters, and people with batclaws, who need some buildings/terrain to function. Firearms are also extremely deadly, so you need a fair amount of scatter terrain to affect Line of Sight. This is where some have compared it to necromunda. Most objectives do have to start on the street level, but there's nothing stopping Catwoman from grabbing some loot and then hiding on a roof to score it uncontested.

First round is typically running and trying to get position for round 2, though ranged characters and people who deploy differently may start shooting/scoring turn 1. After that, it's a brawl.

Our games have been lasting about 3 hours, but we're still learning everything. I know tournaments are 2 hour games, so that's the standard we're working towards.

As for villains, I certainly find them fun. There's far more of them than there are "good" teams. That's basically just Batman Crew, Law Forces Crew(which has a lot of crossover with Batman), and Green Arrow/Flash(same). I guess Teen Titans and Suicide Squad too.

I think long term, you have to be willing to play some of the generic NPC-style characters to really have fun with this. Like Batman and Nightwing are going to cost you close to 200 rep, which means you have 150 left to spend on another 4-6 models. You could take two free agents and have a 4 person crew but you'll probably lose most of the time like that. Instead, you take Alfred, Gotham Swat cop 1, Quick Response Team 2, and Female Cop 1.

Also, some crews just flat out don't have as many options, for those that have to play a perfectly themed list. There are like 20 damn Joker/Harley henchman, but Mr. Freeze only has 5, and Poison Ivy only has 4.

The team I played with last night was Poison Ivy, Victor Zasz, Slipknot, 3 Arkham Asylum inmates(they're Zasz's buddies), and 4 Blackgate Prisoners vs Riddler, Quelle, Catman, Catwoman, and 4-5 riddler bots. The arkham and blackgate prisoners are generics that will work for most villain gangs, so with those alone, I'm a purchase away from playing a few villain crews if I wanted.

I mentioned Batman variants as well, so I should mention that a lot of the famous characters actually have multiple sculpts, and each sculpt has it's own rules. Ben Affleck Batman, for example, is far tankier than TAS Batman, but less mobile. You typically can only take one of a particular named character, i.e. Bruce Wayne, but you could have multiple Robins on one team, i.e. Damien Wayne, Jason Todd, and Tim Drake, but I don't think you could have Nightwing(Dick Grayson) and Robin(Dick Grayson) on the same team.

Overall, I know this game has been somewhat popular in Spain/Europe for a few years, but it's starting to grow now in NA as well. Between the amazing terrain and iconic characters, it's been pretty easy to get new players, including a few people who never played a minis game before. It's also relatively cheap. Like 30 bucks for a 150ish point starter for most crews. Most single named models are 20 bucks, with henchmen packs costing 30ish for the 4-packs, and 20ish for 2-packs.

Alright, that was a long post, so I'll leave it there. If you have more questions, let me know.

Did they fix the Batman game so that Batman wasn't apparently OP? All I heard that it was unfun to play as anything other than Batman cause of how powerful he was, but believe the game has had several revisions since then.

Top Bottom