• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunoku

I posted it in the OT section, but just had to share it here as well:

xksfu.jpg

____

Cool, bro. Welcome.

Also, listen to Big L, stat.

Haha, will do. Never been opposed, just probably needed a place to start. Any reco's?

Dope as fuck

:daps:

Yessurrr.

Goddammit it's deleted. What was it?

HiResDes

There's also new Y Society, Tuxedo, Daye Jack, Raekwon, and other stuff out. The new Goldlink is a return to form, might be better than God Complex! Straight up BBQ/Summertime Bliss

Koozek

There's also new Y Society, Tuxedo, Daye Jack, Raekwon, and other stuff out. The new Goldlink is a return to form, might be better than God Complex! Straight up BBQ/Summertime Bliss
Oh, sheeei. Gonna check it out tomorrow. I'm still having Palm Trees from his last album stuck in my head to this day.

riotous

Banned
Kanye literally makes me angry on Glow. (on the new Drake album)

I like the singing; but that first verse ruins the entire song. (sah-ah-ahng)

Haha, will do. Never been opposed, just probably needed a place to start. Any reco's?

Whoops, missed this. He only released one album during his lifetime, and I recommend that one, so Lifestylez Ov Da Poor and Dangerous. I haven't heard his posthumous material though, but you can't go wrong with Dangerous. Top 20 rap album for me.

Gambit61

New Gorillaz album coming end of April, with Danny Brown, Kelela, Vince Staples, DRAM, and more!

yoooo Kelela is gonna be on it too? I already love the Vince Staples and DRAM tracks.

Damn this is crazy. I loved Travel at Your Own Pace. Gotta check out Rae too.

Whoops, missed this. He only released one album during his lifetime, and I recommend that one, so Lifestylez Ov Da Poor and Dangerous. I haven't heard his posthumous material though, but you can't go wrong with Dangerous. Top 20 rap album for me.
My favorite song of his is probably the intro to The Big Picture.
It's the only track of his that hits of marks of what I look for in a rapper/songs.

My favorite song of his is probably the intro to The Big Picture.
It's the only track of his that hits of marks of what I look for in a rapper/songs.

What do you look for in regards to hitting the marks, anyway?

Because judging from what you tend to really admire, you seem to really like Entendres for one, and Big L was never known for that. Jay-Z and Lupe Fiasco have some of rap's best.

j-wood

I just heard Vince Staples for the first time on the new Gorillaz track.

Holy shit what have I been doing with my life. Listening to summertime 06 immediately.

Most frustrating part of IYRTITL, Views, and More Life is that if you trim the typical "high pitch sample underneath subdued R(ap)&B instrumental with monotone Drake performance" fat off the album playlist, I'd be down with a 10-12 track version of these albums with just the hype/pop/dancehall tracks. Still wouldn't be great projects, but they'd be easy listens. More Life is so long and full of nothing that you end up forgetting the good tracks by the time it's over, or at least until "Ice Melts" snaps you out of your comatose state.

Keepers: Free Smoke, No Long Talk (despite Drake), Passionfruit, Get It Together, Madiba Riddem, Blem, Gyalchester, Can't Have Everything (so dope, the 6 Man of this album), Ice Melts

9 for me. Seems ok until you double take and realize there's 22 tracks on this beast.

Most frustrating part of IYRTITL, Views, and More Life is that if you trim the typical "high pitch sample underneath subdued R(ap)&B instrumental with monotone Drake performance" fat off the album playlist, I'd be down with a 10-12 track version of these albums with just the hype/pop/dancehall tracks. Still wouldn't be great projects, but they'd be easy listens. More Life is so long and full of nothing that you end up forgetting the good tracks by the time it's over, or at least until "Ice Melts" snaps you out of your comatose state.

Keepers: Free Smoke, No Long Talk (despite Drake), Passionfruit, Get It Together, Madiba Riddem, Blem, Gyalchester, Can't Have Everything (so dope, the 6 Man of this album), Ice Melts

9 for me. Seems ok until you double take and realize there's 22 tracks on this beast.

We won't see a concise Drake album, ever. His projects are designed to be the best possible product to push numbers, and he does it extremely well. Album sales in the traditional sense don't mean much anymore so why not throw a whole bunch of tracks together and get those equivalent units.

I dream of a 14 track Drake album that's sole purpose is to produce his and his teams best cohesive product, because I do think he's actually got it in him. But that's never happening.

Yesssssssssss, Goldlink took that KAYTRANADA beat from the intro of his last album. I always thought that should've been made into a full track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom