• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K HDR gaming is a godsend!

So I just recently picked up my very first 4K HDR set to finally take advantage of my Pro and One S. My One S I mostly just use as a media player for Netflix and watching blu-ray movies. My Pro is where I game though and last night I finally checked out some of my backlog with HDR enabled... and holy crap is it a game-changer.

Origins, Ratchet, Horizon, Deus Ex, and Hitman were freaking glorious in HDR. The lighting is just on another level completely. I even noticed it on just the main menu of Horizon with the way the sun looks and the intense colors. Ratchet looked even better with intense neon lighting way more noticeable and an almost 3D effect. Deus Ex and Hitman were amazing as well and I really started to take notice of the dynamic lighting these games have.

HDR just gives these games more character imo and makes playing them without HDR feel a little quaint. Contrast and brightness levels are cranked up on normal games and movies while HDR is able to light different parts of the screen much more true to life. Things that are meant to pop and be vibrant do, but there's no oversaturation in the image quality. It just makes for a much more "realistic" look while still giving you all the little details.

So anyway, loving HDR. It's made me fall in love with movies and games all over again. If you got the money and motivation I would highly recommend upgrading. If you're on a budget like me, the 55" TCL P607 is the best 4K HDR set for the cheapest price around at $600. I highly recommend it. For those playing in HDR, what do you guys think? Am I hyping it up too much or am I right?

Kinematic9

Neo Member
HDR was the bigger draw for me - makes a bigger difference on a gaming console than resolution bump from 1080 -> 4k in my opinion. Congrats on your new set up, enjoy!

HDR was the bigger draw for me - makes a bigger difference on a gaming console than resolution bump from 1080 -> 4k in my opinion. Congrats on your new set up, enjoy!

Couldn't agree more. Resolution bump is great but HDR is a freaking game-changer. Thanks!

JaxBriggs

Yeah I agree HDR adds a much more noticeable increase to visual quality than a resolution boost. When implemented well and used on a good TV it makes the image really pop. Looks awesome.

i-Lo

HDR is a true game changer. Playing through UC4 and a bit of Horizon felt transcendent with HDR on. Shame screenshots can't capture its essence.

Agreed 100%. I'm excited to replace my projector with 4K one day because Im sure at my 110" screen size it will be noticeable, but ya honestly at 50" give or take, HDR is by far the more noticeable difference. If it were only 4K and no HDR, it would take a hell of a deal to bother replacing any TV around 50" size.

kunonabi

Hdr was much more noticable on my new 4k set than the 4k resolution and my tv apparently sucks at hdr.

I dont know how often ill use it for games though since im not buying any of the upgrade consoles and most of the stuff i play arent really visual showpieces anyway. I think spider-man might be the only game ill get to use it for.

Porkepik

Agreed 100%. I'm excited to replace my projector with 4K one day because Im sure at my 110" screen size it will be noticeable, but ya honestly at 50" give or take, HDR is by far the more noticeable difference. If it were only 4K and no HDR, it would take a hell of a deal to bother replacing any TV around 50" size.
Yep I hope to do the same 4k should be great on my 100´´ screen , can t justify the current cost for a 4k projector replacement. In the meantime I bought a tcl605p for the living room and I enjoy it a lot, I used to play on the projector most of the time but the appeal of the hdr picture has made me play quite a bit on the tv recently. Come on epson for a sub 2000$cdn 4k projector....

Hell yeah...picked up the LG C7 last Saturday, thought HDR was automatically enabled, I was thinking to myself, I don't really see a difference but I had to adjust that deep color setting on my tv. Holy shit, I fired up Netflix and watched the Punisher in HDR, insane. Made me go out and buy Gran Turismo sport since it was praised for it's HDR. Before this I had not touched my PS4 in months. Now I find myself playing NBA 2k17 and other games.

Yep I hope to do the same 4k should be great on my 100´´ screen , can t justify the current cost for a 4k projector replacement. In the meantime I bought a tcl605p for the living room and I enjoy it a lot, I used to play on the projector most of the time but the appeal of the hdr picture has made me play quite a bit on the tv recently. Come on epson for a sub 2000$cdn 4k projector....

Im hoping next year really helps bring the prices down and they introduce more true 4K projectors with HDR. A lot of whats available now for 4K projectors sound like they fake their way there and aren't native 4K. Wish I had 25K for that new Sony SXRD rig :(

Hell yeah...picked up the LG C7 last Saturday, thought HDR was automatically enabled, I was thinking to myself, I don't really see a difference but I had to adjust that deep color setting on my tv. Holy shit, I fired up Netflix and watched the Punisher in HDR, insane. Made me go out and buy Gran Turismo sport since it was praised for it's HDR. Before this I had not touched my PS4 in months. Now I find myself playing NBA 2k17 and other games.

Best thing about my TCL is that it lets you know when you're watching HDR content. It would be really annoying if I had to check my settings every time to see if it's enabled or not.

Im hoping next year really helps bring the prices down and they introduce more true 4K projectors with HDR. A lot of whats available now for 4K projectors sound like they fake their way there and aren't native 4K. Wish I had 25K for that new Sony SXRD rig :(

That's how HDR was with a lot of sets last year, they said HDR but weren't really. I'm glad I waited until this year.

Yep, I have tried 4K HDR games on the Xbox One X with two different displays, the Samsung KU6300 and the Acer ET322QK. Both look phenomenal despite not being full spec HDR.

That's how HDR was with a lot of sets last year, they said HDR but weren't really. I'm glad I waited until this year.

Right I remember hearing that quite a bit. Its tough, you really need to pay attention as an early adopter and find the right time to buy because they always have ways around marketing things as if they do something they really don't.

Soriku

Tbh I have the LG UH5500 (and I replaced with a B7) and the faux HDR in the UH5500 isn't bad at all, still adds to the visuals. Colors were just better. Hell with FF XV turning on HDR added more detail to the trees.

T Ghost

For me it was the opposite. When I got the KS8000 right after the PRO was launched, I first got amazed with the jump from 1080p to 4k and thought HDR to be marketing bullshit. With time I got so used with the boost HDR gives to HQ, that now I think any game without HDR looks meh. But 4K in a 55" and above is absolutely impressive when compared to 1080p on a set of the same size. I imagine that in monitors and smaller sets HDR should be more impressive though.

Boss Man

Weird, I’ve yet to be impressed by HDR in games but 4K has been fantastic.

Which is weird because I have the exact opposite impression from other content. HDR bluray and streaming can be mind blowing.

Best thing about my TCL is that it lets you know when you're watching HDR content. It would be really annoying if I had to check my settings every time to see if it's enabled or not.

I don't have to check my settings all the time, I just never changed my settings to enable deep color output initially. It literally pops up in the right corner of my tv when I'm watching HDR content.

Hostile_18

Banned
Must admit I hardly notice a difference with HDR. Uncharted 4 I was flicking it on and off and all I'm really got was a bit more detail in the Sand. Final Fantasy was the exception as that game looked totally different... not sure if necessarily better just very saturated.

Much more impressed with the 4k resolution boost. You don't notice it at the time so much but when you go back to 1080p games they do look blurry by comparison.

MilkyJoe

Weird, I’ve yet to be impressed by HDR in games but 4K has been fantastic.

Which is weird because I have the exact opposite impression from other content. HDR bluray and streaming can be mind blowing.

You most likely have not set it up right or have low quality hdr on your TV.

llien

Watch out for a horde of faux HDR TVs, which "support it" as in "can underestand the signal", but can not output it.
TV needs to be "Ultra HD Premium".

I second that, although, not in gaming context (have yet to finish my PS3 backlog).
HDR is stunning (at least on OLED), 1080p > 2160p, while watching 65" screen from 5 meter distance, I don't see much of a difference.

Yama

Definitely a game changer.

Destiny 2 at 4K (PC) with HDR seriously brings the beautiful art style to life. Forza 7, UC4 and Horizon are also some stellar examples.

Definitely a game changer.

Destiny 2 at 4K (PC) with HDR seriously brings the beautiful art style to life. Forza 7, UC4 and Horizon are also some stellar examples.

Check out Ratchet if you get the chance. Imo, the best example of HDR in a game by far.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Yeah I agree HDR adds a much more noticeable increase to visual quality than a resolution boost. When implemented well and used on a good TV it makes the image really pop. Looks awesome.

If HDR makes the image pop it is not set up correctly. What it actually does is give you more detail in dark and bright parts while retaining peak brightness and peak darkness. If it pops then you are using dynamic contrast or something like that, which works against HDR.

If HDR makes the image pop it is not set up correctly. What it actually does is give you more detail in dark and bright parts while retaining peak brightness and peak darkness. If it pops then you are using dynamic contrast or something like that, which works against HDR.

Nope, it can be both depending on what you're watching. You watch a 4K HDR movie like Guardians 2 or Atomic Blonde and trust me, it pop, pop, POPS! Of course than you watch something like Westworld in 4K HDR and yes, it's more subtle and subdued.

But if you watch a movie like Guardians 2 and stuff like the red arrow trail or any kind of fireworks or explosions don't pop, it's you're set that isn't calibrated correctly. Of course, pop isn't a great descriptor imo but I get what he means.

Daffy Duck

Nope, it can be both depending on what you're watching. You watch a 4K HDR movie like Guardians 2 or Atomic Blonde and trust me, it pop, pop, POPS! Of course than you watch something like Westworld in 4K HDR and yes, it's more subtle and subdued.

But if you watch a movie like Guardians 2 and stuff like the red arrow trail or any kind of fireworks or explosions don't pop, it's you're set that isn't calibrated correctly. Of course, pop isn't a great descriptor imo but I get what he means.

What TV do you have?

i-Lo

un55mu6300 Samsung

Ah, that's why. If you look at rtings.com's review you'll see its HDR capabilities are rather limited because of average peak brightness required for displaying bright HDR content and lack of local dimming which is used for emphasize blacks or darker areas in an scene.

Down the line I'd recommend OLED once they're sufficiently affordable.

Marvel

could never
HDR is glorious, higher res of my 4K TV is great but damn HDR is way more impressive in games.

TNH853

i dont see a big difference. i have a LG 55UH6159 and my roommate has a Sony KD-55XE8096 we also both have a pro. when hdr is turned off i can see the difference in brightness but otherwise it´s nothing special. am i missing something? what am i doing wrong?

ps: the pro is detecting the hdr tv and as soon a hdr game starts the tv changes to hdr mode

carsar

ks8000's HDR doesn't impress me so much. Yes,HDR looks better, thanks to 1000 nit, 75% 2020 and 10 bit.
However native clear 4k picture(can be reached only on pc with TAA/ aberration/other shit off) is much better for me. And native 4k+ black frame insertion is even better. I really love 4K@60hz BFI.

Fbh

Yep.

Right now if you hypothetically had a console that runs games at Native 4K but with no HDR and one that runs them at 1080p but with HDR id take the HDR one (assuming it becomes standard)

JP

I absolutely love it.

Fortunately I don't have to choose but if I did have to choose between a 1080/HDR panel and a 2160/SDR panel I'd actually go for the 1080p set. I'd miss the 4K side of things but not as much as I'd miss HDR.

I've only ever had HDR issues once and that's with Final Fantasy XV which looks really over exposed so I adjust the slider on a single setting. It's not quite perfect like that but I don't want and really shouldn't be having to adjust anything when moving from one game to another.

Everything else has been wonderful though, I love what Housemarque do with HDR.

funcojoe

Yes hdr makes a very immersive experience, as does 4k. 4k though coupled with hdr is amazing, tack on the 60fps and I’ve got a visual boner.

Most games aren’t gonna do that though and l wish developers gave us the option of 1080p 60fos modes vs the higher resolution.

I am a hdr diehard, i have the pro, 1x, and regularly pick up uhd titles. Right now li cannot wait for destiny 2 in 4k hdr next week. Should look beautiful.

fetus8

Two games I don’t see mentioned enough when it comes to HDR;
resident Evil 7 and GT Sport

RE7 looks incredible with HDR, like there’s not a ton of vivid color in the game, but the extra dynamic lighting and contrast really brings that world to life in the creepiest way.

GT Sport, sometime something makes me feel like I’m looking at real videos when playing. It’s a weird sensation but it all comes down to the lighting effects on and HDR compatible TV.

I’m rocking the KS8000 and a PS4 Pro and I couldn’t be happier, but like most here have said, HDR makes a bigger difference than the bump to 4K.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Yeah HDR definitely makes the colors pop more., But I think 4k makes the bigger difference, 4k not only reduces aliasing but the overall image is a lot richer.

Top Bottom