• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound cancelled [Platinum Games and Kamiya have commented]

Status
Not open for further replies.

krang

Something bad is potentially happening. Someone has to be blamed. I think the blame is on the developer. I don't doubt for a second Microsoft provided them with the necessary resources.

I'd say they may be responsible for unrealistic milestones, but given the delays I'd say that's not the case either.

TeamGizzy

Banned
As an Xbox fanboy it upsets me that whenever I see/hear 1st party announcements from MS that I have to worry that they are bad - or even release at all.

While on the other side Sony announces game -- game is developed --game comes out -game is fun and sells

Just jealous :(

CamHostage

give it to Sony, they don't abandon games that ran into a bit of a trouble

I mean, I like Sony WWS's management and approach a lot and feel like they really commit to a designer's process (they let Until Dawn go through a few iterations before it was ready to produce, and look at the insane development history of The Last Guardian), but I think you'd get a lot of negative response to this post if say people from SCE London were on here. The Getaway and Eight Days died in development, as did Stig's game from Santa Monica, everything at Liverpool when that studio closed, a couple SCE Japan projects (what was that one thing with a virtual world that was like a social media adventure or something with a cam?), and lots and lots of stuff we don't know about.

It is extremely rare for a game to get this far along and then get dropped, though. Scalebound has been at several tradeshow viewings, it had sort of a re-introduction with its multiplayer feature, and it's just been cooking forever.

Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Kamiya fans (I'm an expert), but expecting tons of funding for poor selling games is a huge part of it. It's not like it is with other devs where you can become successful by having a marketable concept. If you cancel a Kamiya game you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that Kamiya's dozen fans, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase an Xbox One, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft's games on PC. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated like 12 or or so people with this move.

Microsoft, publicly apologize and uncancel Scalebound for Xbox One or you can kiss your business goodbye.

LOL you ass! I'm dying at the 12 or so people stuff.

Man Microsoft are cancelling or delaying everything this gen it sees like. Phantom Dust cancelled. Crackdown 3 delayed. Fable Legends cancelled. Scalebound possibly cancelled. WTF is going on?

They really to step up their first party efforts, it's so mediocre for me when stacked against Sony's. But yeah this game looked like a mess so I can't really blame them here.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
What input has MS had in this game other than funding? Do we know? Or are we just saying "Fuck Microsoft" with no real rationale?

Without rationale? Microsoft has a giant graveyard of amazing studios they've completely and utterly fucked over throughout the years. There are few companies I trust less and I fully expect that they've shit the bed again.

Remember this is a publisher so toxic that Bungie took all their royalty money from the immensely successful Halo series and *bought themselves* to get the fuck away from Microsoft. When has that ever happened? This is just 1 example of many.

Withnail

Sad news but somehow unsurprising given how risk-averse MS is these days.

Not that I ever had confidence in MS's ability to work well with a Japanese developer.

Given the reaction from both the demo and trade show demos, I highly doubt that game turns out bad. At best it's simply "good".

I'm sure it will be good, but if history is anything to go by gamers will buy the next shallow open world game instead. Platinum has a history of mechanically rich games, the industry would be poorer without them. I hope they can survive.

lol welp closed the thread. they just moved the site.

Maybe the one jumping to conclusions is you.

Oh shit!!
Breaking NEWS!!!

medX6WH.jpg

Time for Sony to buy the rights and fund them and help them wrap it up. Send in Sony Japan to fix this mess.

Sony will take the risk, gladly.

Sonys and MS userbase and games are quite similar. Nintendo is probably the better home for niche games.

It seems the original idea for Scalebound had been quite different from what was last shown, so perhaps Nintendo could find the original game idea.

Wabba

Not seeing the appell for this game at all, it looked rough at all its presentations. It could not have been an easy decision for Microsoft seeing as they already are a little short on games coming out.

That kinda sucks... but I was never going to get to play it, since I can't afford money or time for multiple systems and just gave up on more modern PC gaming as a years long, modest laptop gamer. I was genuinely enjoying everything I saw from it too, even with it's clear westernization. Never got the overwhelming pessimism.

Lol...you're crazy if you think Nintendo is going to fund this shit. What's the announcement going to be? "You know that terrible game that Microsoft canceled and looked terrible every time it was shown off? Well, now it's a Switch exclusive!"

trying to use logic on Nintendo HA

you're right tho

Eurogamer confirms. Cancelled.

Development of Xbox One exclusive Scalebound has ceased after more than four years.

Multiple sources have confirmed to Eurogamer that Microsoft and developer Platinum Games have parted ways on the project, and that work concluded before the end of 2016.

This tallies with a just-published Kotaku report which states the game is currently in trouble, and possibly cancelled.

Scalebound was last seen in public back at Gamescom 2016 in August. Since then, the relationship between Microsoft and Osaka-based developer Platinum Games dramatically soured.

Work on the game took a serious knock last autumn, Eurogamer sources say, when several senior members of the development team were forced to take a month away from the pressure of the project's heavy workload.

These project members then returned, but Scalebound was now behind schedule. With continuing issues surrounding the game's engine and overdue deadlines, the decision was made that the project could no longer continue.

It's unclear whether Scalebound could still be revived by Platinum, but as we understand it, work on the project as we know it has now concluded.

I'm just wondering what they believe an interesting portfolio for the upcoming Scorpio would look like.

I mean, even shinier cars in Forza 7 sure are nice but that can't be it, can it? With Halo and Gears not pulling the numbers they used to... what's left?

They have enough other games in the oven, and I doubt they'll show Scorpio without some new shiny games.

That said, the big picture is that the latest decisions by the heads of the division show that there is no money to be wasted. If you do, you in big troubel.

Dinda

If bad comes to worse and Platinum goes down over this. (please don't!) Squeenix is going to pick up the Nier Automata Team (after the suprising succes) and form Cavia II with them.

What input has MS had in this game other than funding? Do we know? Or are we just saying "Fuck Microsoft" with no real rationale?

This is Gaf. Of course it's the latter, the amount of schadenfreude at MS and the Xbox platform is sickening really. I honestly don't know how someone feel joy or glee because on platform is successful over the other.

The only thing I can liken it is to sports teams. That's the only rationale I can think of. I'd never root for the Phillies or Nats, NY Mets 4 life. I guess for fanboys that's what they feel when it comes to PS,Xbox, Nintendo or PC. It's like a sports team to them.

As for Scalebound this sucks, it was an exclusive that I was looking forward to and although the gameplay looked unimpressive I was hoping that Kamiya and his team would pull through.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Shinobi confirmed this. Development was going badly and Platinum was missing deadlines
Not to play too much defense for Platinum, but milestones are variable.

Look at the predatory Zenimax and how they use milestones to bleed out developers even though they are happy with the game.

Shredderi

The game has looked bad in all showings so far so I'm not shocked by this, but I am a bit surprised since I would have thought that MS would have wanted to bolster up their big game lineup.

There's likely a huge shift happening at MS, and nothing at Xbox is safe. Microsoft Studios needs a complete reworking. Scalebound was probably at the point of no return for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom