• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop's CEO got to see Battlefield 4 today; EA: "BF4 is coming!", "BE ADVISED"

Naked Lunch

After the massive dissappoinment of Battlefield 3, I find it hard to care about this franchise going forward. Heck, at this point they'd have to pay me to play it.

What multiplayer shooters do you play these day then? Just curious. BF3 takes a dump on 99% of the current competition.

RoKKeR

After the massive dissappoinment of Battlefield 3, I find it hard to care about this franchise going forward. Heck, at this point they'd have to pay me to play it.
Come again? BF3 was far from a massive disappointment. There's a crowd of die-hard BF fans that aren't happy the direction the series is going, but all in all it was a great title that was enjoyed by many. I'd argue it is still the best multiplayer shooter available right now, especially on PC. 17+million copies for what was just a few years ago a PC exclusive shooter is extremely impressive.

Qwell

Really? Not to start a fight here, but what was so disappointing to you? Huge Battlefield fan and I farking loved it, but again everyone has opinions and all :) Really looking forward to BF4, and I hope they do include SP, I was one of the weirdos that actually liked the campaign. Of course multiplayer is my main bread and butter, over 285 hours with almost 22k kills.

Really? Not to start a fight here, but what was so disappointing to you? Huge Battlefield fan and I farking loved it, but again everyone has opinions and all :) Really looking forward to BF4, and I hope they do include SP, I was one of the weirdos that actually liked the campaign. Of course multiplayer is my main bread and butter, over 285 hours with almost 22k kills.

the campaign was disappointing, but BF has always been about the multiplayer and I sure had fun playing it on the PC. If someone just buys BF3 for the SP they're doing it wrong.

MEATfast

Banned
I kinda wish I was excited. I love BF3. I got it day 1 but them excluding voice chat was one of the stupidest things anyone could do to an online game. I don't have any of the DLC for BF3 excluding Karkand and now there's a BF4 coming already that's NOT a sequel to 2142. BF3 could've been so much more.

I'll be skipping the BF series for a while and just stick to Planetside 2. Maybe I'll come back when they make 2143.

Lakitu

st5fu
BF 3 multi-player, on console no less (with gimped player count and tech), has been the most fun I've had in this generation of gaming. And this is coming from someone who was never big in multiplayer shooters or multiplayer games in general. It's pretty much the only game I play right now (along with Skyrim).

I kinda wish I was excited. I love BF3. I got it day 1 but them excluding voice chat was one of the stupidest things anyone could do to an online game. I don't have any of the DLC for BF3 excluding Karkand and now there's a BF4 coming already that's NOT a sequel to 2142. BF3 could've been so much more.

I'll be skipping the BF series for a while and just stick to Planetside 2. Maybe I'll come back when they make 2143.

you're skipping a game that hasn't even been shown yet?

brogan

Neo Member
It will be great once both consoles launch. The Digital Foundry Face offs will have some seriously heated threads I feel.

I hope the PC version has full controller support for BF4. BF3 was just a joke. A really bad one.

Brofist

51M2XB03K4L.jpg

aw94iv1669017.gif

Arucardo

not really. EA and Sony (Battlefield and Medal of Honor) relationship felt like a counter to Microsoft and Activision (Call of Duty).
I was directly referring to the 1 week early dlc thing. I could've sworn it came to be as an "apology" for the 1943 debacle, but I can't be bothered to find links on this right now (on my phone).

But in a general sense when it comes to the relationship between those companies you're probably right.

Coolwhip

Banned
It would be odd if BF4 shows up tomorrow and not COD. What are the odds of COD showing anyway, Sony needs that crown from MS pretty badly.

MEATfast

Banned
you're skipping a game that hasn't even been shown yet?

Yes, because there's an alternative out there for me that will save me money. It's not just the game, but also EA's business model. I'm not going to buy a new BF game every two years especially when previous BF games have lasted much longer. I'll just stick to BF3 if I want to play BF just like those who still play Bad Company 2.

Some of my best gaming moments have come from BF:BC2 and BF. hope they show it. Imagine a copy of Battlefield 4 coming with a beta invite for Respawns game and the next COD with a beta invite for Destiny. :)

shogunduk

If anything I'm only looking forward to it to see how much more they could possibly ruin the series. Oh and their wonderful DLC schemes are always more exciting than the last.

diamount

Banned
Yes, because there's an alternative out there for me that will save me money. It's not just the game, but also EA's business model. I'm not going to buy a new BF game every two years especially when previous BF games have lasted much longer. I'll just stick to BF3 if I want to play BF just like those who still play Bad Company 2.

You sure about that? Let's look at the release schedule for all the major releases for BF (no spin-offs or expansions) games

Battlefield 1942 - 2002
Battlefield Vietnam - 2004
Battlefield 2 - 2005
Battlefield 2142 - 2007
Battlefield: Bad Company - 2008
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - 2010
Battlefield 3 - 2011
Battlefield 4 - 2013/2014

Jburton

Banned
If anything I'm only looking forward to it to see how much more they could possibly ruin the series. Oh and their wonderful DLC schemes are always more exciting than the last.

Premium for Battlefield 3 is fantastic, the amount of content is excellent.

BF3 is an excellent game, online surpasses any other online FPS out there.

Apath

I have to say I would be really interested to see how it is on PS4. I skipped 3 because it was the first to force Origin and I suck at mouse and keyboard (although I put up with it for BC2 on PC) and the console versions were dogshit. Now that the tech has supposedly caught up they should be impressive.
You're missing out. I can't speak for PC, but BF3 has the best multiplayer gameplay of any FPS on consoles ever.
BF3 is probably the worst FPS single player campaign I have ever played. I may have liked Perfect Dark Zero's even more.
You sure about that? Let's look at the release schedule for all the major releases for BF (no spin-offs or expansions) games

Battlefield 1942 - 2002
Battlefield Vietnam - 2004
Battlefield 2 - 2005
Battlefield 2142 - 2007
Battlefield: Bad Company - 2008
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - 2010
Battlefield 3 - 2011
Battlefield 4 - 2013/2014
They better not do a 2 year cycle between BF games. It's a series I really don't want to get burnt out on.

J-Rzez

BF4 is the only 3rd party title I'm OK with being shown off tomorrow, if that's the case. Well, that and another Metal Gear of course, but that's implied.

AlexBasch

Bought the BF3 Premium Edition last Christmas, but damn, I have been enjoying quite a lot even when I jumped into the party way too late. Here's hoping BF4 looks amazing and still plays great.

shogunduk

Premium for Battlefield 3 is fantastic, the amount of content is excellent.

BF3 is an excellent game, online surpasses any other online FPS out there.

I guess if you weren't expecting something similar to BF2, and have no problem with a game's community being fragmented so badly, sure.

Yeah, with EA letting certain people see, and more importantly publicly say they saw, Battlefield 4 you can all but guarantee it will be shown at tomorrow's PS4 event or at the latest within the next two weeks. My prediction: The game will be shown and Sony will boast about how it not only looks better than Battlefield 3 on the PC but has increased levels of destruction. And of course, some level of exclusivity.

Yeah, with EA letting certain people see and, and more importantly publicly say they saw, Battlefield 4 you can all but guarantee it will be shown at tomorrow's PS4 event or at the latest within the next two weeks. My prediction: The game will be shown and Sony will boast about how it not only looks better than Battlefield 3 on the PC but has increased levels of destruction. And of course, some level of exclusivity.
Doesn't bf3 on ps3 have timed exclusive dlc? I wouldn't be surprised if they had it again, it gives another reason for Sony to show it.

RoKKeR

Doesn't bf3 on ps3 have timed exclusive dlc? I wouldn't be surprised if they had it again, it gives another reason for Sony to show it.

Yes. PS3 gets DLC content one week before other platforms. I wouldn't be surprised if that relationship continues for BF4, which makes it all the more likely that we will see the game for the first time on PS4.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Looking forward to it, it will no doubt look fantastic, here is hoping it will be shown tomorrow on some nice modern hardware and we don't end up with a BF3 again and some great looking games toned down to 8 year old tech.

I'm not however looking forward to the amount of "called it" posts coming tomorrow with everyone saying they were the first to come up with something.

DICE please don't even bother trying to do a single player if you're not going to do it right.

Bad Company 1's SP was kinda awesome. It was consistent, no jumping around to random locations around the world after every level and most of all it had big levels and freedom.
But after BCs campaign it just went downhill and they became more and more linear. It needs to be less like CoD and more like Battlefield/Crysis

I agree on no single player. Or if there is any, make it single story campaigns and not an overall story line. It doesn't suit the game and Dice don't excel there.

So basically an imaginary war with battles taking up multiple levels.
Like an old WWII game but modern.

diamount

Banned
They better not do a 2 year cycle between BF games. It's a series I really don't want to get burnt out on.

They've been doing that since forever though hence me posting the release schedule. Yeah I guess the argurement could be made manpower is being diverted to create the single-player portion but if they have allocated staff just for that purpose then it shouldn't make much of a difference.

Battlefield 3.5 confirmed. Seriously with such short time between those two i can't really see how it should look THAT much different.

Console players (on next-gen platforms at least) will see the biggest improvement, I'm sure. Still, I bet a good amount of work can be done to improve the UI and overall experience that will be welcome on PC.

Top Bottom