• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Fincher nears deal to direct 'World War Z 2'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give me an R rated Fincher Zombie movie and this frown turns upside down.

They should ditch all characterisation of Pitt's character from the first film and just have Pitt star as somebody interesting instead.

Finally!

20640187.jpg

I can get a shot of that delicious Pepsi again!

Chumley

Banned
God forbid he might actually be genuinely interested in the material.

I love the people who peg someone as being above something like they know them personally. Maybe he's a huge zombie nerd? Who knows.

The first movie was garbage and Fincher disowned the only other sequel he's ever made, going by his track record this is a very surprising move.

Hard to compare this to alien 3 when it was the first movie he ever made. Fresh off of music videos and ads and he had to deal with all that behind the scenes studio fuckery.

Dude came back with se7en a few years later too

I actually thought the first was suprisingly great! Even had an entire extended doctor who refference segment with capaldi because im assuming the director was a fan

Gone Girl is almost 3 years old already? And this is his next thing?
I miss the time when we had a Fincher film almost every year. pls neglect your family/life and go back to work mr finch.

Sounds like a bad idea on paper but this is Fincher, I'm pretty sure even if he phones it in and this is just a favor for Brad it'll be better than whatever we would have gotten if he didn't sign on.

Also it seems like he's been trying to do something on this scale for a minute after all the trouble he went through trying to get that 20,000 Leagues movie off the ground.

Myriadis

For some reason I always think about David Lynch when I read his name. Now that would make for an interesting movie.

But the first one was enjoyable enough, I wonder how they would continue the story tho.

Fincher come on man, is money really that tight?
Well a Fincher/Pitt combination never goes bad, so this might be interesting plus I'd love to see Fincher's take on the zombie genre.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I wanna ask why the fuck Fincher is wasting his time with this, but then I wonder what the fuck could be so appealing about the project to Fincher for him to consider it.

Im wagering there wont be a "2" in the movie's title :p

Because he loves working with Brad?

I mean they've made three films together. Brad clearly likes working with the guy, and they're a great team.

jeemer

honestly hope this doesn't happen. i'd probably still give it a shot after cinema if it does cause i love fincher, but world war z was drawn out and boring.

pontypool was probably the last good zombie movie i remember seeing and that was what, 2008?

Khoryos

Are you talking about the scenes with the cans of soda rolling? I don't even remember them being brands, I thought they were fake generic brands.

EDIT:
Well, there it is. They didn't even have him take a Pepsi lol

You may have watched the British version, our rules on product placement are different and I'm fairly sure we *did* have generic cans.

tomtom94

I feel like Fincher has the same approach as Anthony Hopkins in that he'll do pretty much anything if the money is right, but he won't half-ass it - you're going to get a proper film (or TV pilot) out of it.

...That said, ehhhhhhhh. World War Z was a huge pile of ehhhhhhhh. I always expected this to be the kind of sequel that gets announced in advance to show confidence in the franchise then gets cancelled, and I assumed when its date lapsed that was what was happening. I can't get excited.

He's been doing that for a long time now, and Zodiac was probably the last project he had that was his initiative and not a studio pick.
No that was sent to him as a courtesy, the writer and producers expected him to pass on it.

I don't see how this will be any different than his last two films. He makes excellent genre movies.

Folk forget that Spider-Man was between him and Rami and he was at one point Cruise's choice for MI3.

It'll be fine

Umm, he did Curious Benjamin Button, Social Network, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Gone Girl since Zodiac.

Button isn't that good but the others while maybe not everyones cup of tea aren't bad.

Both Tattoo and Gone Girl are two vapid pieces of literature (and one of them already had a movie adaptation). That, since 2011, Fincher filmography is those two things and this possible sequel is disheartening.

Chumley

Banned
Both Tattoo and Gone Girl are two vapid pieces of literature (and one of them already had a movie adaptation). That, since 2011, Fincher filmography is those two things and this possible sequel is disheartening.

Vapid? You have no idea what you're talking about dude.

Just recently rewatched World War Z on Netflix. I think it was my first time seeing it since the theatre.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I think a sequel with Fincher directing would be really fucking good.

Vapid? You have no idea what you're talking about dude.

He's right about dragon tattoo tho. It's shit. I never read the books but I saw the awful Swedish movies and the only thing Fincher could get out of his version was some dope actors and photography (soundtrack too)

I'm glad he dropped the idea of making the sequel. Gone Girl was dope, however.

But it is feeling like he peaked with social network (which was an excellent movie to be fair). Stuff like this is disheartening, if he does sign onto it I hope he brings a lot to the table.

EGM1966

Pitt calling in a favour? Hard to imagine why Fincher would want to do this otherwise. The first film was pretty generic with a few good scenes and high production values but continuing from that seems below Fincher's talent level.

Or maybe he's discussing having more creative freedom and taking the film somewhere other than a straight sequel would imply.

Kadayi

Banned
Fuck no. Also, fuck the book. I don't think I've read anything so full of cliche-riddled cultural stereotypes as that POS. The only book I consider a bigger waste of time is ready player one.

neoism

I wanna ask why the fuck Fincher is wasting his time with this, but then I wonder what the fuck could be so appealing about the project to Fincher for him to consider it.

Im wagering there wont be a "2" in the movie's title :p

brad and him are really good frenids. and brad wanted a bomb ass director for it..

i wish they would make a movie together every year....

personally im glad his back on movies, Fincher wasted his time on House of Cards.

goona be awesome to watch a amazing good zombie movie for once...

hiredhand

I really hope this doesn't go through. Seems like a huge waste of talent and honestly kind of a sell-out move from Fincher.

It's like if Spielberg would decide to direct The Huntsman 3 as his next project.

near

Gold Member
I really hope this doesn't go through. Seems like a huge waste of talent and honestly kind of a sell-out move from Fincher.

It's like if Spielberg would decide to direct The Huntsman 3 as his next project.

That's not really a valid reason for Fincher to not get involved in this, by no means is Fincher selling out if this was to move forward. Let's not forget that Fincher launched he's career with a sequel, that at the time didn't really warrant one. The question should be is there really a story worth telling in WWZ2?

p2535748

Spielberg's doing Ready Player One, which is possibly more disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom