• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer: Dreamland - Now Archer's Really a Dick - Season 8 |OT| Wednesdays on FXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. Noticed Wyatt Cenac in the credits too.

At this point, Archer reminds me of Sealab after Harry Goz died. It's still trying but the humor just isn't there.

It's weird, it seems like a conscious decision to include fewer jokes and lean on general callback quips for all the humor.

vypek

Better than previous episodes but still not wonderful like many other seasons.

I actually did like the bit of Lana's bad comedy set.

ZZzzz... This season has been a snoozer so far. I've hardly had a chuckle in the first 3 episodes. I really can't see this one picking up and being another Archer Vice.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one bored by this.

Season 7 wasn't perfect, but at least it was somewhat entertaining to watch. This is just boring trash. I get it, they want to try new themes, etc but this wasn't a good decision. The setting should allow for some really fun episodes but it's bogged down by trying to be too serious, which Archer never was.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Holy crap the ratings have plummeted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Archer_episodes

Lots about two-thirds of its audience since Season 4.

That's not that unusual - ratings typically drop over the course of a show's life cycle. It also moved to FXX this year, which means lower ratings by virtue of being on a more niche channel. (you also have to factor in increasing on demand viewership, DVR, etc.)

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Krieger whistling for the badass cyborg German Shepherds was pretty awesome.

Not really "funny" anymore, but I am intrigued and enjoying it so far. Just a different vibe.

vypek

That's not that unusual - ratings typically drop over the course of a show's life cycle. It also moved to FXX this year, which means lower ratings by virtue of being on a more niche channel. (you also have to factor in increasing on demand viewership, DVR, etc.)

Yeah I was going to say that decreased viewership seems like a normal thing for an 8 season show and that season 5 and the FXX move probably did big hits to it as well. I didn't even consider the on demand and DVR stuff

EDIT: Feels weird not to see core characters on screen like Lana being completely absent from the episode unless I missed that.

Duxxy3

I really hope that next season goes back to normal archer. These era specific archer seasons have been... honestly they've been kind of shit.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Yeah I was going to say that decreased viewership seems like a normal thing for an 8 season show and that season 5 and the FXX move probably did big hits to it as well. I didn't even consider the on demand and DVR stuff

EDIT: Feels weird not to see core characters on screen like Lana being completely absent from the episode unless I missed that.

You didn't miss anything.

jrush64

Banned
Christ this season is rough. I really hope this dreamland bs doesn't last the whole season. I'm patient but I dont think i'm that patient.

I agree that this season has had less laughs per minute than I can remember it ever having but I'm so more invested the in the actual story arc more than any in recent memory. Would rather have both of course.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Liked the Krieger flashbacks. And that cat, doing what most cats do all day long, possibly simply because they can.

Zubz

Banned
I really liked the unfunny Lana stand-up last week; its ironically the funniest part so far.

Also, I appreciate it, but also find it odd, that they're bringing back old characters out of the blue for this coma dream when they haven't even been relevant in the series proper for awhile. Doubly so since they seem to be picking characters w/ celebrity VA's (Jeffrey Tambor for Len, & Eugene Mirman for Cecil Tunt).

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I really liked the unfunny Lana stand-up last week; its ironically the funniest part so far.

Also, I appreciate it, but also find it odd, that they're bringing back old characters out of the blue for this coma dream when they haven't even been relevant in the series proper for awhile. Doubly so since they seem to be picking characters w/ celebrity VA's (Jeffrey Tambor for Len, & Eugene Mirman for Cecil Tunt).

the brain works in funny ways. i wonder if bunk and wyatt cenacs characters are based on anyone in the real world?

Wasting a season spinning wheels on a coma dream after a move to a niche network seems like a really strange decision. Good thing it got a multi-season renewal, I guess. Or bad thing if 9 and 10 are this unfunny.

vypek

Wasting a season spinning wheels on a coma dream after a move to a niche network seems like a really strange decision. Good thing it got a multi-season renewal, I guess. Or bad thing if 9 and 10 are this unfunny.
I expect things will pick up with a return to form for final 2 seasons. I think they will know these overarching story seasons don't work well for them. I hope we return to real world and set up for season 9 in the final episode

Sheroking

For better or worse, Adam Reed has liked to shake things up and take very different approaches season-to-season as we've gone on and he seems to lose some people along the way. Won't be surprised if people like Season 9 better than Dreamland just like they preferred Season 6 to VICE.

SoulUnison

Banned
The show's appeal to me is mostly the banter and character interactions which have generally stayed pretty amusing, but I really, really miss the "workplace comedy" aspect that being a spy agency provided. I don't understand why they had to ditch the entire concept of the show when the "ISIS" name started being problematic. Now it's more of some weird blend of "situation comedy" and "extremely light drama," but the "situations" aren't particularly appealing or interesting, and the cast is constantly being split of and sequestered from each other by the plots so nobody gets anyone entertaining to bounce riffs off of.

It's like, yeah, I'm watching this, and I'm laughing semi-regularly, but I wish we could get back to the show's original DNA, as it were.

Some of the most entertaining and interesting parts of the show were when it went sort of "Metal Gear Solid" and infused actual military and spy-craft trivia and techniques into such ridiculous world.

The stuff with Kreiger was great. My favorite gag this season so far though has been Ray's "Stop it!" after the drummer's rimshot. Actually, I liked the stuff with him and his band in general.

Maybe it just needs more of Ray and the band?

OmegaFax

I don't like this season at all so far. I was going to brimg up Sherlock and it's 19th century set episode but it sort of falls under the same trap as Archer Dreamland. Everything is in the protagonists head. The story is framed so everything is technically not real. There is no consequence. Unless things from the modern Archer world do eventually seep in and the greater story is waking up, then I don't see the point or care about the characters.

The characters themselves just aren't funny. sure, the personalities are similar but with a lot less of the punch any other series had with the comedy.

I remember reading an Adam Reed interview from way back saying the draw of Archer's character stemmed from his own shyness and suaveness that a James Bond-esque character would not. Part of me feels like this series, Archer's lack of confidence around Lana, defeats the purpose of Archer and the embodiment of the character he was to some extent.

Maybe the season would have more legs, literally and figuratively if they rebooted the show sans the comma induced dream.

Agents of Shield is doing a similar dream thing but draws on the Matrix. What you do in the dream world is life or death doe the real people jacked in.

There is none of that here. Archer feels like it's run its course and is literally driving on its rims.

Meier

I wouldn't say that I've disliked any of it, but it's weird and I think less enjoyable than Archer generally is. It was nice to hear Bob and Gene interacting though.

For better or worse, Adam Reed has liked to shake things up and take very different approaches season-to-season as we've gone on and he seems to lose some people along the way. Won't be surprised if people like Season 9 better than Dreamland just like they preferred Season 6 to VICE.
I get that, I think he's awesome and I love that he takes these chances. It's his show, it's his prerogative. But every time he's done it, the show has been worse for it. Vice was bad. Dreamland, so far, is bad. Sealab after Goz was bad (not his fault, but still). These shows just run too long and they end up wearing out their welcome.

My point? Frisky Dingo king forever.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I get that, I think he's awesome and I love that he takes these chances. It's his show, it's his prerogative. But every time he's done it, the show has been worse for it. Vice was bad. Dreamland, so far, is bad. Sealab after Goz was bad (not his fault, but still). These shows just run too long and they end up wearing out their welcome.

My point? Frisky Dingo king forever.

Frisky dingo needed another season. Not the xtacles series, but something with actual closure as to what happened with Xander and killface in space. And definitely some wrap up with Wendell Val.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, we're finally giving Lana something to do. Sort of.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
This feels like a lazy season, but their weaker past seasons have ususally paid off in the last few episodes so I still have some hope for this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom