• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

Wagram

My C.E. arrived today!

Iv38cBo.jpg

I really wanted this on PC tomorrow... fuck.

The PS4 version and PC are the same right? I will maybe just buy the PS4 version then. I tried the demo and it ran very smoothly.

They're the same and on PS4 PRO it's even 4k/60. So not that painful going PS4 over PC, for me at least.

Ventara

I am so hyped for this! PS4 copy shipped today, so I'll probably get it tomorrow, but my PS Vita copy still hasn't shipped. Was planning to do my first playthrough on the Vita, but I'm not sure I can wait once the PS4 copy is in my hands, lol.

Marche90

Definitely not paying £45 for it now then.

In my case it's on the contrary. I wanted the game but I can't afford it on PS4, since my financial situation is somewhat dire for the rest of the year. The PC version is being sold at $509 MXN (or around $29 USD) so by necessity I'll be grabbing it there. I just hope that they don't fuck it up even further than what they already have done.

AniHawk

I don't know. lol

it was made to be used against all kinds of handhelds/consoles. it was originally developed with rodea the sky soldier in mind where the confusion originated because there's no other indicator what was actually shipped.

NIN90

You know, the one time I actually take time off work to play a game they delay the PC version 24 hours before release.

PS4 version it is then.

I've put a couple hours in but had to stop due to Irma passing through and the lights have been flickering. Game is pretty interesting so far with a (naturally) fantastic soundtrack. I didn't think much of it when I played the demo but the inclusion of jumping made me realize how much I missed it in Seven and Celceta.

NISA with a weak localization and fucking up with the PC release. GG. So good of them to get this over xseed...
The localization so far isn't terrible but it is just... there. After playing Trails in the Sky I would have loved to have seen what XSeed could have produced here.

At least the LEs packaging is top-notch. Of all the Ys LEs I own (which is basically all of them save Origin) this is by far the nicest.

Blue-kun

Omg fuck that. His design is awesome, I don't want to be stuck with that fat fuck who takes shits :( Dogi should always be playable if he's around

There's decent reason as to why he's a NPC, and besides, Sahad is a pretty cool character... even if he has no sense of decorum whatsoever. I ended up warming up a lot to him, he works very well with a couple other party members too.

Tizoc

There's decent reason as to why he's a NPC, and besides, Sahad is a pretty cool character... even if he has no sense of decorum whatsoever. I ended up warming up a lot to him, he works very well with a couple other party members too.

He's the 'cool grandpa who works as the middle ground and mediator between the two main cast who would otherwise quarrel constantly between themselves' trope.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
He's the 'cool grandpa who works as the middle ground and mediator between the two main cast who would otherwise quarrel constantly between themselves' trope.

Nah. He doesn't care. And neither does Adol.

Laxia gets over her trope-ness pretty quickly, too.

Aeana

It's good that they've delayed the PC port. I hope they can get everything fixed. If they do, I'll double dip.

Kvik

At least with the delay I can take my time finishing Ys Seven this weekend. Maybe I'll get Divinity OS 2 to tide me over once I'm finished with it.

Christian

Mine was waiting for me when I got home, along with The Silver Case and Operation Babel! I ordered them at the same time, so I had to wait for them to ship together. :/ I was like 100% positive that I got the Vita version, but they sent me the PS4 game! Okay! I can still play it, so no big deal, I guess. Gonna be hard to finish it with a 5-month old, though! You

Blue-kun

I'm glad I didn't get to do this OT by myself after all, as I think I'd have gone with 'Tears of joy' for the OT or something (although I saw a couple days ago the Destructoid review went for that too -- but I've been joking like that ever since the Vita JP ver. came out, so w/e!!).

Would have needed to change it to 'tears of disappointment' after this delay. It stingssssss.

Wagram

I'm going to second this collector's edition being high quality. It's very nice.

The cloth is really cool and I like the acrylic print bookends a lot.

ZMEA8hs.jpg

Would prefer him playable in the party based games but eh, thats fine too.

As long as he's there! :)

Actually had a fan ask Falcom's president Kondo-san the question of "Why no playable Dogi?" at AX this year. His response is that Dogi is way too powerful and would have ended the adventure before it began. :)

Teggy

I posted this in the Steam thread, but I realized it would be good to post it here.

OK, I finally finished Ys Celceta. I was pretty meh on the game, but everyone is raving about Ys VIII. So, if these were my primary issues with Celceta, are they addressed in VIII?

- mindless hack and slash with little reward
The enemies were very easy to cut down. There were a lot of special abilities to unlock, but there really wasn't much strategy to using them other than mashing buttons and making chaos. And no loot drops, which are generally the benefit of this kind of gameplay, but I hear that's not in VIII either.

- little exploration
The map was pretty boring. I uncovered near 98% of the map just going to the obvious places. I think I found one hidden area. I hear there is jumping in VIII? Is it used to make getting around the world more interesting?

- normal was too easy
I know I could just bump up to hard, but that's not really my thing. You start on hard and things are fine, and then later on you wind up hitting a brick wall. But normal in this game was really easy except for a few bosses, and those could be dealt with by spamming potions.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I mean if you are going to complain it's too easy and mindless while playing on a easy setting while spamming healing items that's completely on you and no 8 doesn't adress that. The boss fights in ys games are pretty much the series shining star.

Like Ernst in 6 on nightmare is a freaking struggle but if you use healing items you can literally just mash attack and heal when needed.

World exploring in 8 is better than celceta

Top Bottom