• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turn 10 Confirms That Forza Motorsport 7 Intentionally Runs Mostly on One Core

Adry9

The new "it's not a bug it's a feature".

Of the whole thing, that's your problem? That I used one word wrong (use instead of max)?

Here:

mV9bFz7.gif

lmao

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
There's no way the console versions are only running on one core, so this reeks of complete bullshit.

Yudoken

Beaten

That's one of the dumbest excuses I've ever heard.

Multicore optimization dropped for lower input latency?

Get out of here.

Especially on console with their 8 jaguar cores.

MaLDo

I see, that's the decission that allow them the lighting fast and responsive controls in the Porsche. Well played Turn10.

diehard

Fleer
Just a bit of insight, there is actually some advantage to eliminating as much context switching as possible from a programming perspective, and it can reduce latencies in certain scenarios. Node.js is the new hotness and is entirely single-threaded.

That said, i don't know if it this excuse has any legitimacy. The xbox version being 60fps would have me learn towards no..

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There's no way this game is running at 60fps in a single jaguar core on Xbox One. It has to have multithreading in the engine. Why it's not on PC is a mystery.

Just a bit of insight, there is actually some advantage to eliminating as much context switching as possible from a programming perspective, and it can reduce latencies in certain scenarios. Node.js is the new hotness and is entirely single-threaded.

That said, i don't know if it this excuse has any legitimacy. The xbox version being 60fps would have me learn towards no..

Interesting, still not sure why there isn't an option for multi-threaded. In any event, hopefully they fix it for people who will be playing this on PC.

Paragon

As long as I get constant 60 FPS I don't see the problem.
Note to that those with stutter : how can you be sure this is the issue ?
Well that's a great attitude to have.
How can I be sure this is the cause of the performance issues?Check out the awful frametime graph, low GPU usage, and constant stuttering in the first clip.
Then see how much smoother the frametime and GPU usage graphs are, and how much smoother the game is running in the second clip.

The game still seems to stutter at specific points on the track regardless of how smoothly it's running otherwise, which the second clip captures - once in the clip, and there is also evidence of another stutter in the GPU usage graph history, since it's polled at a slower rate than frametime.
Videos recorded directly on a PC often seem to have stutters not present during actual gameplay, so trust the graphs more than the clip.

It's weird, since Turn 10 would have had to multithread the snot out of Forzatech to get it running as well as it is on the Xbone. Them continuing to think that you should them undo all that work for a PC version is completely baffling, especially after Horizon 3 PC's less-than-warm reception on launch for this exact same issue.
It's absurd. Seems more like an excuse than an actual reason to do this to the port. Got to make the Xbox One X's 2.3GHz Jaguar look good.

Technically there may be latency benefits to what they're doing.
Most games don't seem to have an issue with it, and if this did improve things, it should be an option rather than the default behavior for the port.
They never mentioned anything about latency with the Forza Horizon 3 port when they patched in an option to enable better multithreading - though it is strange that it was an option at all.

This is just absolute bullshit from Turn 10. Forza Horizon 3 and even Forza 6 suffered from lack of multi threading making it almost impossible to play on any CPU but the best on the market to hit 60 fps especially Horizon 3. They released a patch to enable multi threading and now those games run like a dream. Nobody complained from input lack. They are just too lazy to implement multithreading, or there are other ulterior motives to practically sabotage the port. Fuck you turn 10.

Duxxy3

So is this a case of MS intentionally screwing up a port to push people towards the X? Then why even have a PC version?

Profanity

As long as I get constant 60 FPS I don't see the problem.

I wonder what it is that becomes very important in achieving and maintaining framerates in excess of 60? Oh that's right, it's multiple cores.

Turn 10 professing the inclusion of high framerates in all their pre-release spiel, and then locking the game down to a single core is just mind-bendingly stupid.

Running the code mostly single-threaded can indeed provide latency benefits, but any gains on a competently developed multi-thread flow would be pretty minimal.

It's baffling that this is even a thing. If anything, threaded rendering should be default and this an option for those with higher-end CPUs.

Effect

It doesn't suck, but theres random stutters especially in the menus

It could definitely run better, but in game it ran perfect for me tbf

This was my experience as well. Actually racing was fine but the menus was another matter. I was actually surprised how better things were when the race start because of this. I only did the first and third car twice though. So I have no clue how my PC would have held up under a longer play session.

The guy said that it's normal for one core to run at near 100%. Not that the game only uses a single core. And yes, his latency excuse could be valid. Thread interference is a real thing when trying to access shared resources between multiple threads etc.

I've only seen the stuttering on the menus. Do people have it happening during gameplay? Just saying I've ran the demo on slightly older hardware that I didn't think would make the cut, but it ran perfect. So, uh yeah.

tuna_love

Banned
The guy said that it's normal for one core to run at near 100%. Not that the game only uses a single core. And yes, his latency excuse could be valid. Thread interference is a real thing when trying to access shared resources between multiple threads etc.

I've only seen the stuttering on the menus. Do people have it happening during gameplay? Just saying I've ran the demo on slightly older hardware that I didn't think would make the cut, but it ran perfect. So, uh yeah.
it freezes for some people for a few seconds

Menus are awful. I booted it up and didn't press anything and it was windowed and running butter smooth on the menu with the camera going around the 911. Then I pressed a button and it went full screen and bam stutter. Game loads ok and then going around the track I get a hard pause for a bit and then maybe it starts back up. Sometimes crashes. My main pc is down needing a new water cooler but I am playing on a 1070 i5 2400 and it is rough.

tuna_love

Banned
when people are getting a freeze is it randomly or every 60 seconds?
menus are fucked like how tuning menus were fucked in fh3

Top Bottom