• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails in the Sky the 3rd |OT| Time's the Charm

MOON DOOR 1 ( Part 2)
So when she was young , erika
wanted to be a sister but got rejected due to her attitude ?

Damn the world avoided a castastrophe

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Such a great game. I'm very satisfied with how Kevin's written, and some of those doors are still on my mind. I'll admit I'm more interested in the Cold Steel arc than Zero/Ao right now thanks to
Star Door 8

3rd > SC = FC.

So explain this to me from a design choice about the various doors

the first door in the game forces you to fight a battle as solo tita before the reward scene... 15 hours later no other door has forced a fight before giving me a scene... why have the tutorial door have a fight and none after for an extended period of time?

Psxphile

the first door in the game forces you to fight a battle as solo tita before the reward scene... 15 hours later no other door has forced a fight before giving me a scene... why have the tutorial door have a fight and none after for an extended period of time?

It is rather strange, but there's at least one door I know that goes back to that concept with stronger enemies but you're not tied to any particular party member and can use your full team.

Maybe because that
Tita door is just a long sequence of cutscenes. Other doors generally have fights/roaming/mini-games in them.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I know it's been mentioned that there isn't another known continent, but lagrange world map in Star Door 12 seems to show at least two distinct continents. Possibly more. Hard to say if that's worth going off of, because it is extremely low resolution and the projection looks really weird and probably very inaccurate.

Star Door 2:

It's good to know that after all of that growing up, that the more Estelle touts her maturity and femininity, she'll still get neck-deep in silliness at a swanky party no probs.

The only thing that could make that funnier is if a special portrait was done with her wearing the victory spoils goggles. lol

Am looking to see where the Josh thing is going in further doors...them old wounds, they don't heal quickly.

FLD

Welp, that's the game done. Really enjoyed it but I can't say I understand why some of you consider it their favorite. Some of the doors were really great but the structure was less interesting to me than the regular formula and I thought the main plot didn't really compare to the scale of the narrative of FC+SC.

Also, what the hell was up with the very last door and
Campanella acknowledging and directly addressing, well, I guess the player? Am I reading too much into it or was that actually a 4th wall break? Does anything weird like that ever come up again in the series?

Ascheroth

Welp, that's the game done. Really enjoyed it but I can't say I understand why some of you consider it their favorite. Some of the doors were really great but the structure was less interesting to me than the regular formula and I thought the main plot didn't really compare to the scale of the narrative of FC+SC.

Also, what the hell was up with the very last door and
Campanella acknowledging and directly addressing, well, I guess the player? Am I reading too much into it or was that actually a 4th wall break? Does anything weird like that ever come up again in the series?
I haven't done the final chapter yet, so I can't speak for what happens there.
But I would say the doors are actually the main part of the game, with the actual main story just being an excuse for the doors mostly.
I personally really liked the structure, because it allows for tight standalone stories that don't require set-up and explanation fluff.
But it's a structure that can only work because FC and SC exist.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the scale of FC more than SC, so that's part of the reason I like 3rd's so much- the stakes get pretty high at the end but even through that the main plot is laser focused on a few characters much like FC was.

I also thing 3rd has the best battle system of the 5 games I played- the magic delay minor nerf does a lot to balance out the two damage types, the boss battles on the higher difficulties do a lot to make you rethink standard Trails tactics; there's still the inevitable point near the end where you're too damn strong for anything to touch you but it comes a lot later. Hoping whenever I get to play Zero/Ao that it has Sky's approach to 'party power level' for lack of a better word (CP is relatively scarce, normal craft aoes do not cover half the bloody screen as a general rule, no stacking of multiple stat quartz, no domination quartz jesus christ who thought that was a good idea) but with the improvements found in CS (seeing buff timers, buffs not inexplicably tied to some global tickrate, status effect quartz per line, magic damage scaling harder with spell 'level').

Drpunch

Neo Member
So did anyone else get to the (Last Chapter)
bottom floor of The Abyss and find no fourth boss? I've never fought it before and really would like that last Zemurian Ore...

Taruranto

O50PSsM.jpg

She's like the Master of Faces.

DPB

bottom floor of The Abyss and find no fourth boss? I've never fought it before and really would like that last Zemurian Ore...

It seems to appear at random, you might have to warp back and forth to the door nearby a couple of times.

Beat the previous three bosses in a row, without leaving The Abyss, and the final boss should appear right at the end.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
I think someone mentioned a few pages back that you have to
do it all at once and that the 4th boss won't appear if you fast travel back to take a break/switch party members.

edit: ninja'd.

Kurt wasn't on the aureole.

You mean the ark? But neither was Richard, unless I'm completely forgetting him.

Edit: I don't remember Anelace being there either.

Mhm, and it's not like they just forgot they clearly chose to not make him playable since *door spoiler*
he clearly should have been playable during moon 2 and I'm sure someone af falcom must have asked

It makes me wonder why they bothered making Kurt playable at all in sc.

Finished the game. The last dungeon wound up being pretty short, which I wasn't expecting, and the final bosses weren't really too much difficulty, but the overall game was fantastic.

The ending bits with everyone saying goodbye was really nice. Renne's scene was especially good of course, but I think everyone had some really nice moments. I really loved the whole cast and the way they got closer in this game in some interesting ways (like Kloe and Josette, for example).

It took six years, but we got the whole trilogy in English. There was a long time where I doubted that would ever happen, so this is just so cool. Overall, the 3rd is a fantastic game. I love how they change everything up while still getting at the core of what makes the series work. The doors do a great job of giving you all the variety of a typical Trails game in small chunks, and the main game is just really well paced and has some great variety in terms of the locations. The story is top notch, too (and easily the darkest of the series, holy shit).

So I think I have to name this as my favorite game in the series right now. If I was to rank them, I'd put it like this:
1. 3rd
2. Cold Steel II
3. SC
4. FC
5. Cold Steel

All of them are really enjoyable in their own ways, though.

I hope that we get Zero and Ao translated eventually.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Finished up all the doors, except the last(?) arena.

I'd already seen 13 and 14 from the translation Tuesdays, but those are neat. 6 was a little more difficult than I expected but not too bad. Oddly, for Sun Door 5 I found Maniac easier than Brutal.

I already had a very vague idea of what 15 was going to be before I went into it, and that didn't make any difference at all. The events in that entire door are just completely horrible.

Ascheroth

If the last dungeon is actually pretty short I guess I might actually finish the game today or tomorrow.
Only have to do the
Nightmare Arena first and then I'll probably farm some more Quartzes in the Abyss from the spiders. It's kind of ridiculous how they die in 10 seconds and drop one of the 1000 Sepith Quartz, lol.

Arthea

I'm like 99% sure a game cheats in fishing minigame, suddenly none of my clicks in time register (after 15 no misses? yeah right), and I'm not doing too good anymore... I also was so close to winning, so close, like I was sure I'll win.
So what is a catch? how do I win if a game won't let me.

Knurek

I'm like 99% sure a game cheats in fishing minigame, suddenly none of my clicks in time register (after 15 no misses? yeah right), and I'm not doing too good anymore... I also was so close to winning, so close, like I was sure I'll win.

Pray to RNG Jesus.
Took me about two hours to win the bloody thing

Knurek

oh boy... and I thought this one will be easy for me

TFW you get 30-40 lbs fish each round of the match while the computer whiffs continuously, and then the final round comes, you get another 40 lbs catch and then the computer lands a natural D20 and catches a 500 lbs monstrosity, beating you by 2 lbs.
I was *this* close to uninstalling the bloody thing

If the last dungeon is actually pretty short I guess I might actually finish the game today or tomorrow.
Only have to do the
Nightmare Arena first and then I'll probably farm some more Quartzes in the Abyss from the spiders. It's kind of ridiculous how they die in 10 seconds and drop one of the 1000 Sepith Quartz, lol.

the last dungeon is actually quite long, count maybe two hours to finish it

Manatox

TFW you get 30-40 lbs fish each round of the match while the computer whiffs continuously, and then the final round comes, you get another 40 lbs catch and then the computer lands a natural D20 and catches a 500 lbs monstrosity, beating you by 2 lbs.
I was *this* close to uninstalling the bloody thing

I beat that event the first try, but the opposite happened to me.

I was leading the last round with ~60 pts, but the computer landed a big one. Just when i was thinking i'm gonna lose with just a few points, the fish run away and i won...

Ascheroth

I was leading the last round with ~60 pts, but the computer landed a big one. Just when i was thinking i'm gonna lose with just a few points, the fish run away and i won...
Lol, that must have been tense.

I won the last round on my first try with 1300 vs 800. He did fail one big catch though, but I guess not even succeeding would have been enough to turn the tables.

Arthea

it was much worse for me, I had no problems with first two rounds whatsoever, then in third I was leading like by ~300 points in the middle, and suddenly none of my clicks registered (yeah, they all were in time, I'm sure, most of them anyway), and he caught monstrosity worth 600 points at the end, I was so mad...

Loptous

In my experience, since there's no penalty for clicking too early, you can mash the button every half seconds. Never missed a catch doing that and beat everyone in the first try.
Spamming the button too fast will just freeze the timer though, so make sure not to do that.

Arthea

In my experience, since there's no penalty for clicking too early, you can mash the button every half seconds. Never missed a catch doing that and beat everyone in the first try.
Spamming the button too fast will just freeze the timer though, so make sure not to do that.

but that's they point, I click in time, and there is no catch, like I didn't click at all, it's beyond frustrating.

I have read that the using a controller might cause some delays on fishing event. I purely used mouse for this and only did single cliks, and i haven't missed any either. Though luck still plays a big role.

I use a mouse, though

so apparently nobody has this problem but me? odd

Manatox

I have read that the using a controller might cause some delays on fishing event. I purely used mouse for this and only did single cliks, and i haven't missed any either. Though luck still plays a big role.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The castle basement/store room on the second plane is a good place for time/space/mirage sepith. The uncommon encounter with 3 slime lumps gives nearly 300 of each of those. I never found myself all that short of anything other than time though.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
There seems to be some kind of bug with Nightmare; didn't get the achievement for it, and someone elsewhere said they tried it and didn't get it or the achievement for the lower difficulties. Not exactly a big deal but just so people know.

There are? I'm at the end of 5th chapter and never met one...

The only place I know for sure is Chapter 4;
the first wolf fight in the forest can spawn them, and a few of the rat-people fights can have one tagging along as well in the same dungeon.

Top Bottom