• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the big deal over Animal Crossing?

Peléo

Oh man, you're missing out. New Leaf makes the rest of the series look downright primitive by comparison. If you've got a friend or family member that can loan you a 2DS or 3DS I'd say check it out; it's only $20 at retail these days.

Uh, pretty tempting. I can ask for my brother's 3DS...

Zakkath

Straight off the bat, I will fully concede to GAF that I have never played any Animal Crossing game. Not a single one. The most I have seen of it at all was the Game Grumps playthrough in 2012 that lasted about 6 episodes. I think I got the general gist of it, that you join this little town where you buy your own house and start living amongst its population of unique and charming characters. It came across as a sort of Sims-lite, but I'm happy to be corrected on that point.

Is that really all it is? Because just going on off hand experience, that feels like it could get boring pretty quickly. What is the one element that keeps people glued to the game? Is there ever any special objective or task that you can or have to do?

I don't get it either. It looks super boring, but hey, it's made by Nintendo. It has to good, right ? Not my cup of tea.

pringles

My activity log for New Leaf explains the game pretty well:

488 hours played
458 times played
1,04 hours per average session

It's a game about nothing that becomes insanely addictive once you start making it be about 'something'. And there is a lot of something to be done.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I don't get it either. It looks super boring, but hey, it's made by Nintendo. It has to good, right ? Not my cup of tea.

...no? A Nintendo developed or published game isn't some automatic seal of quality. They're just as likely to release garbage as anyone else.

mantidor

It's not a game meant to played for hours. A well made animal crossing mobile game would do wonders for this very reason.

Ironically enough most people drop dozen of hours into it, I'm easily around 400 hours and I'm far from being a top player.

It's hard to describe, there was this comic that explained it in a way. I would say as I always say in these threads is that the writing is just fantastic, it puts it above being just a Sims-lite, it oozes personality in every little detail and piece of dialog from npcs and there are a lot of them, I don't know how they pull it off.

I was in the same boat too OP but then I was gifted New Leaf for my 3DS and then I became semi-addicted to the point that first and last things I did during my day was check my town, talk to my animal neighbors, visit their houses, do some project for it and collecting random junk to decorate my house or sell it to expand said house or buy some cool clothes.

I don't know, its like escapism in its more pure distilled form.

http://i.imgur.com/1PA8D.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]Oh

Oh

;_;

Because it's fun.

Set your own goals and then make them happen. You can focus on any number of things and find a fulfilling gameplay experience.

Dreavus

has anyone been the party ender and mentioned that the moms character was auto sending form letters and random junk gifts because thats how the game works yet

of course, there is meaning in believing what you want

I've always maintained it was a combination. Villagers don't mention your in game mother character so she likely did play the game, but it is also true that the mother character sends you presents from time to time. However I don't think the presents "stacked up" like that unless they were from another player.

I should really play new leaf.

I've seen this story many times before but was always confused about the ending. Were the letters and gifts from the person's mom, or the mom charcater in the game?

Auuuuugghghh. I was really hoping someone would have a definitive answer in this thread because I've wondered this for years

I'm scared to go back to my New Leaf village. Haven't played since late december...

Edit: I feel like I should contribute more to the topic at hand. Animal Crossing continues to surprise with impressive depth and detail for what first seems a shallow experience.

Top Bottom