• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else playing Botw and wish for trophies???

What? It's relevant in that if Nintendo did have trophies and a feature to turn off the notifications, it would satisfy both sides of the argument going on in this thread.

But that's a big if given how slow Nintendo are to embrace the trends of their competition. For instance, the WiiU launched years after the 360/PS3 yet lacked a similar account system like those consoles had.

If the Switch had a full trophy/achievement system, there's no way to know for sure if those notifications could be turned off or not but judging from Nintendo's past, an educated guess would say no.

what's wrong with you.

I'm serious.

I agree with this sentiment. BotW is a game that resists standard conventions. Beat the game with no Divine Beasts, all of them, with or without the Master Sword, etc.

Achievements, no matter how you choose to play, demand that you play a certain way, and if you don't then you have not really played the game. It is incomplete.

So yeah, I'm glad it is the way it is. For everyone. Nobody can brag about their platinum trophy or whatever.
Unless you count the golden swirly poop, which, ironically,
is how Nintendo likely feels about achievements.

mindsale

Or it's their awful way of defending their favorite platform for not having them.

"bu bu less content and options are great! trophies would ruin the game!" lol

So weird how people rush to the aid of a multi-billion dollar corporation that routinely enacts anti-consumer policies.

I love Nintendo, but I have not drunk the Kool-Aid.

I don't get the resistance to trophies/achievements. They're there for those that want them, and can also be ignored (notifications turned off) for those that don't. They don't make the game worse for those that dislike them, but increase enjoyment in games for those that want them. And it's not like they affect game design.
this. I do think it's something Nintendo fans hate because it's not in their eco-system. But they do like to compare and want to know playtime and how many stamps or seeds etc they gathered.

I love the way Nintendo records playtime but I would love it more if they add trophies.

Col.Asher

I was playing Resident Evil 7 on my friends xbox, and I used an herb( a wrong solution) on a shadow puppet puzzle. I got an achievement for that. Achievements are pointless.

Protome

Nope, never really got the appeal of trophies/achievements. If a game isn't good enough to make me want to 100% it why would unlocking a thing that tells me I 100%'d it change that?

mindsale

I was playing Resident Evil 7 on my friends xbox, and I used an herb( a wrong solution) on a shadow puppet puzzle. I got an achievement for that. Achievements are pointless.

One achievement =/= all achievements.

Not every achievement is "Use an herb."

Some can be tastefully done, like Last of Us' and Journey's, which pop after cutscenes to not impede game flow.

EdgeXL

I can't say that I wish for trophies in BotW. Then again, I don't give a shit about trophies and achievements. In my opinion, they are merely the digital equivalent of doggie biscuits.

And don't stereotype me with some sort of label or say I am angry that trophies are not on my preferred ecosystem. I play on Xbox and PlayStation too and I could go to those platforms if I ever felt like earning trophies/achievements just for the sake of having them.

Qwark

I wish Nintendo had an achievement system. I rarely go for platinums, but it's just extra little things to shoot for. It's (ideally) easy to ignore if you don't like it, and it adds to the experience if you do like it.

andy_fresh

Neo Member
I don't think the OP is suggesting that trophies would make the game BETTER, it would just have been a nice addition. Even if it did have trophies it's not like you HAVE TO follow the trophies or even get them. I would have LOVED to say I platinum'd BoTW.

WHat I mean is I now look up if a game has any "missable" ones and if difficulty makes a difference. Instead of just enjoying the game, like I am Zelda now, I waste time on not enjoying a game and worrying about the achievements or trophies.

Dude, play the game to enjoy it first and foremost and then IF you want, play it for the trophies...

Shil Pencer said:
I love Achievements and Trophies. They get me to play games id never play and they get me to replay games i never would. I think the fact Nintendo doesnt have them in place is a bummer

Yes.

SummitAve

Banned

Some can be tastefully done, like Last of Us' and Journey's, which pop after cutscenes to not impede game flow.

Popping after a cutscene seems even more pointless than an accidental random one.

Col.Asher

They are all pointless, most achievements do absolutely nothing in game. Very few games themselves actually give you something in game for getting them.

Edit: I would be fine with achievements if they were automatically disabled.

Person 1: man I wish that we had a feature that's featured on other systems

Persona 2: Hell no! Because of reasons! I don't care if it's optional and doesn't take away from the experience!

Rediculous. I'm pretty sure that atleast on the PS4 you can disable something like trophies if you don't want to see it.

I also don't think they would name their achievements system Trophies. I think it should be Stamps or Stickers.

Edit: I'm not much of a achievement type but if I come across a game I love and want to do every single thing in I would like it to show on my profile that I got said achievement.

mindsale

They are all pointless, most achievements do absolutely nothing in game. Very few games themselves actually give you something in game for getting them.

They incentivize the completion of challenges that aren't necessary during the normal course of play. They provide a meta-game completion checklist. They promote play after having completed the main campaign. They're marker of progress. They're something to share with friends and compete over who's bested a game more thoroughly.

I truly don't understand how you were at a friend's playing Resident Evil 7 on an XBOX and that's when you saw achievements and decided they were pointless and all the same.

Literally every gaming platform - PC, Mac, two generations of XBOX, two generations of PlayStations and Vita - all have achievements. They've been ubiquitous since like 2005.

How do people who use NeoGAF, a pretty hardcore gaming minority, not have regular exposure to such a commonplace mechanic?

hivycox

Trophies are just psychological tricks to elevate your mind in a state of satisfactory!

They don't give you a reward or something useful within a game.

I don't get the begging for these things. IMO trophies are just an excuse for some devs to be lazy about implementing a proper reward system!

Neiteio

Trophies just feel like a waste of time, IMO. They'd kind of ruin the magic of Zelda by making it apparent how much "stuff" there is to find, too. Feels more like a genuine discovery and less like checking off a list when you just come across stuff and it's 1/??? rather than 1/30 for Area A of Region B.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I think trophies would seripusly kill the sense of open adventure and exploration the game gives the player with a to do list.

The idea of trophy/achievement list goes against the principal of the game imo. Without a list there is no in the box mindset. Instead you are free to discover things on your own without a list to check off. The amount of stuff found in this game on its own without a list is seems astronomical and would go against the the devs "go anywhere, do anything" mindset I think.

For the record, I'm not a trophy/achievement person ( I don't mind them, just don't care to check off boxes like that when I play a game)

While there are certainly some titles that have implemented optional objectives arguably for the benefit of trophies(AC1 flag collectibles), there hasn't been a real case where one can show demonstrable proof that trophies have sullied the original design intent of the game's objective or mission statement.

So many lump their arguments into this somewhat baseless claim, presuming that gaming enjoyment is somehow lessened on platforms where they exist? Has there ever been a debate during GotY deliberations where the existence of trophies had somehow played a role in keeping certain titles from nomination or discussion?

Do trophies ever factually mislead anyone from a potential difference of opinion on a game? Can anyone show clinical proof of this?

Are people so incapable of understanding the other merits that trophies offer beyond mere edge-case goals to accomplish? The unique data points and information they provide for both developers and inquisitive players? The "Activity Log" appeal(which Nintendo fans gleefully and hypocritically adore).

It's not really a to do list. I would of still explored the whole map and even best the whole game before even looking at the trophy list.

Doesn't matter, in a game as good and immersive as this, there is no point. There are in game achievements, just not on a system level. There is even a "trophy" for going out of your way to get 900 korok seeds. Google what the trophy looks like and you'll understand Nintendo's viewpoint on them.

Dsyndrome

Trophies just feel like a waste of time, IMO. They'd kind of ruin the magic of Zelda by making it apparent how much "stuff" there is to find, too. Feels more like a genuine discovery and less like checking off a list when you just come across stuff and it's 1/??? rather than 1/30 for Area A of Region B.

Turn off notifications, don't look at the trophy list. Problem solved, everyone wins. How is that ruining anything? Because of the achievements' existence the game is ruined?

Col.Asher

They incentivize the completion of challenges that aren't necessary during the normal course of play. They provide a meta-game completion checklist. They promote play after having completed the main campaign. They're marker of progress. They're something to share with friends and compete over who's bested a game more thoroughly.

I truly don't understand how you were at a friend's playing Resident Evil 7 on an XBOX and that's when you saw achievements and decided they were pointless and all the same.

Literally every gaming platform - PC, Mac, two generations of XBOX, two generations of PlayStations and Vita - all have achievements. They've been ubiquitous since like 2005.

How do people who use NeoGAF, a pretty hardcore gaming minority, not have regular exposure to such a commonplace mechanic?

I've had a ps3, 360, and I have a steam account. I decided achievements were pointless long ago. I used an example of why I think they are pointless. Don't go assuming things

Neiteio

Doesn't matter, in a game as good and immersive as this, there is no point. There are in game achievements, just not on a system level. There is even a "trophy" for going out of your way to get 900 korok seeds. Google what the trophy looks like and you'll understand Nintendo's viewpoint on them.
I love this. Hilarious gesture by Nintendo on the absurdity of trophies.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
One of the biggest QoL improvements I ever made on my 360 was when I disabled achievement notifications. I did it so that they didn't pop up when I was recording game footage, but I really found that it made my experience better in general.

I totally get why so many people are into them, but for me unless they are designed in tandem with the rest of a game and are super clever, they just seem like window dressing and not really in line with the creator's intent for the rest of the game.

Velikost

Doesn't bother me that they aren't in, but it's nuts that Nintendo still hasn't caught up to anyone else when it comes to their unified, system level stuff, be it parties, friends lists, system wide achievements, a decent account system that tracks purchases, cloud saves, etc.

A lot of that stuff contributes to why I haven't really bought in to one of their consoles since the GameCube.

Alienous

You know, it probably would motivate me to get through all of these shrines.

Halfway through I stopped bothering because of the 'Tests of Strength'. You take all the effort to find one and the developer makes no effort in return.

Trophies tend to be a good way to direct my attention to in-game goals, and extend playtime.

yurinka

Maybe. But it's Nintendo, they are always like 5 years or more behind the others. But once they implement them in their next console fans will come to say Nintendo invented them.

Neiteio

You know, it probably would motivate me to get through all of these shrines.

Halfway through I stopped bothering because of the 'Tests of Strength'. You take all the effort to find one and the developer makes no effort in return.
You get the
green tunic
when you go through all 120 shrines, which is infinitely better than a little notice saying "Good job!"

Alienous

You get the
green tunic
when you go through all 120 shrines, which is infinitely better than a little notice saying "Good job!"

Well shit, I didn't know that.

koSsOft.png

Peltz

I used to love Trophies. Something about getting the Platinum Trophy was super satisfying.

They became annoying after a while. It's actually kind of liberating that the Switch doesn't have a Trophy/Achievement system. I can play games for however long I want and not give a shit about the little things I missed.

That's how it should always be, trophies or not. Personally, I think they cheapen games.

mindsale

You get the
green tunic

Why are they mutually exclusive?

You can have both achievements and in-game rewards, you know.

Metroid Prime Trilogy offers an in-game achievement system that provides in-game rewards.

It's just a shame Nintendo still doesn't have achievements console / UI-wide, even as an option. It's just dated at this point.

FSLink

Banned
Pretty much. This is less Nintendo not being with the times (though it is in some cases with the Switch) and more of an intentional game design decision. They don't want people to play via a checklist.
Maybe. But it's Nintendo, they are always like 5 years or more behind the others. But once they implement them in their next console fans will come to say Nintendo invented them.
The hell? Maybe on something like GameFAQs.

oSoLucky

So many people hate trophies because they can't control their own impulses, then love to tell everyone how much they hate them. As for the OP, my Switch will be delivered on the 5th so I'll let you know then.

First thing I do when I get a new console is turn that shit off.

Talk about breaking the fucking immersion.

However to add value to a classic game (eg. Crash Bandicoot Remaster) I don't mind. But only after I 100% the pure game.

Neiteio

Why are they mutually exclusive?

You can have both achievements and in-game rewards, you know.

Metroid Prime Trilogy offers an in-game achievement system that provides in-game rewards.

It's just a shame Nintendo still doesn't have achievements console / UI-wide, even as an option. It's just dated at this point.
I think the question you should be asking is, why is a trophy notice necessary when the in-game item you unlock says the same thing, and has an actual gameplay purpose to reward you for your trouble?

I was thinking the same thing throughout my playthrough OP. I just kept imagining all of the potential trophies one can get by doing something creative or finding a secret of some sort.

Not sure why people bitch about the concept of Trophies/Achievments.

test_account

XP-39C²
Because they want to show their e-penis to everyone.
Speak for yourself :p Personally, i go after trophies for my own enjoyment. I dont have my PSN account linked to any of those trophy sites, nor do i compare my trophies to others. Maybe i drop a comment here on NeoGAF if i've platinumed a game, but i primarily do it for my own enjoyment.

Achievements, no matter how you choose to play, demand that you play a certain way, and if you don't then you have not really played the game. It is incomplete.

So yeah, I'm glad it is the way it is. For everyone. Nobody can brag about their platinum trophy or whatever.
Unless you count the golden swirly poop, which, ironically,
is how Nintendo likely feels about achievements.
Thats not true. Its up to you what you want to make of it and if you want to go after the extra optional challenges that the developers have put in the game. And you can brag about getting 100% in Zelda as well. BotW is not the first Nintendo game with such a system (100%). Does that mean that you really havnt played the Zelda games if you dont get 100%? Personally, i would say no. You decide for yourself how much you want to play a game.

Are people so incapable of understanding the other merits that trophies offer beyond mere edge-case goals to accomplish? The unique data points and information they provide for both developers and inquisitive players? The "Activity Log" appeal(which Nintendo fans gleefully and hypocritically adore).
I agree with this.Although it could be that the same people who dislike trophies/achievements also dislikes the activity log though.

I think the question you should be asking is, why is a trophy notice necessary when the in-game item you unlock says the same thing, and has an actual gameplay purpose to reward you for your trouble?

It's not about the UI notice at all. I don't understand how people still think this other than wanting to be right.

It's about having an easily shareable online profile that shows your progress in your games, which you and your friends can easily look at.

Neiteio

I do think the idea suggested earlier of opening the game with a prompt saying "Do you want to enable trophy notices" might be the best way to please both camps. At the same time, I think people enabling trophies might miss some of the wonder of the game if they have an "X out of Y" list of numbers to check off, but that's on them.

Top Bottom