• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII announced for 2013 [Up3: Famitsu Details]

PowderedToast

XIII-2 was originally going to take place 100's of years in the future, so maybe they've returned to that concept for this.

but why not XIII-3...how bizarre and totally square of them.

Noi

Now that I think about it, the previous poster was right; it does kind of remind me of Dragon Quarter or VP.

Well, we just need to see battle footage, then. I'm not enthralled still. And they just started development in August? Heh.

When is kayos going to change his avatar?

That's my spot right now. I like the ideas, but I can't muster much excitement without seeing actual footage. I would have settled for "FFXIII-2 but better". :X

iammeiam

Ever since this game was announced, I've felt this is what is happening to Versus. If true, that's real sad for me. The real life-esque world was one of the only interesting parts of Versus. Setting it in the XIII universe will likely ruin that part.

As for the time mechanic, I'll wait and see now it's handled. If punishment for it running out is minor, its countdown really slow or there's a way to refill it, it's not a huge deal.

Nah, this is just going to steal Versus setting, then Versus will come out in three years as a sequel to this sans Lightning.

Beth Cyra

Ever since this game was announced, I've felt this is what is happening to Versus. If true, that's real sad for me. The real life-esque world was one of the only interesting parts of Versus. Setting it in the XIII universe will likely ruin that part.

As for the time mechanic, I'll wait and see now it's handled. If punishment for it running out is minor, its countdown really slow or there's a way to refill it, it's not a huge deal.

This isn't Versus.

Damn people, they even mentioned VS XIII earlier when they unveiled the Collection earlier.

They aren't going to shuttle what is probably their biggest names brand new game for a series that is already in serious like XIII/2/3.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I could understand if this new game played essentially the same as XIII-2 and development started in August. That's a dev cycle of approximately 1 year with every assets being virtually the same. They are doing NEW STUFF with this game and are planning to have it out in 2013? Sorry. This reeks of disaster.

Derrick01

Banned
now hold on guys shenmue and majora's mask revolved around countdowns and time travel (well, MM did), so maybe this game will use that aspect to its advantage by having a focus on strong memorable side characters, well realized quests, and believable locaahahahhahahahahahhahahaha

Link could also reset time so there wasn't quite as much pressure. Sure side quests would reset too if you didn't finish them in time but at least there was no threat of the game ending.

So wait...this is a direct sequel to XIII-2 but it takes place hundreds of years after? They better tell us what happened after XIII-2 ended.
That's what confuses me a little, aside from having Lightning there, none of the concept for this game links in to XIII-2 at all, surely they can't just leave it how they did? lol

rataven

Lightning Returns allows you to freely roam and explore, yet counts down to doomsday during everything you do?

I don't know if I love or hate the idea of this.

ED Cantu

I'm more or less interested, I liked some of the images they showed and the countdown mechanic is interesting, but I'm not sure about just controlling Lightning.

So this is the final game for lightning but there could be more FF XIII games? please stop, and move to something new.
By the way since this game is coming out in 2013, then Versus for 2014? or even later if they do another XIII game.

I am going to purchase this game full price just to spite everyone here.

Loved FF13, didn't hate 13-2, and I feel the need to see how it all ends. They're definitely pushing Lightning too hard, but I was under the impression that she was actually well received.

Kaizer

Banned
That's what confuses me a little, aside from having Lightning there, none of the concept for this game links in to XIII-2 at all, surely they can't just leave it how they did? lol

Wouldn't it be extra lame if this ended up just being a sidegame for Lightning and XIII-3 gets announced at next year's Square event?

this is spin off into a more action rpg genre, final fantasy 13-3 will comes out later. :p

(I haven't beat 13-2, so I don't know what I'm talking about)

rataven

It feels like this game is a side-story divergence, and XIII-3 is still an inevitability. We'll never be rid of Lightning and friends.

At this point Versus13 has to be a next gen title. If this game just started development and is coming out in 2013, then no way will Square even bother to show Versus anytime soon....Versus now looks like a late 2014 next gen title, will probably be released under a new name.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm guessing this game is using Versus XIII's engine now since it sounds like an open-world action game and all.

Not sure if the jokes been made yet, but..

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

even she doesn't like it!

lol

Oemenia

Banned
So sad we wont be getting XIII-3, it couldve really been their chance to have the best bits from both XIII and XIII-2.

I could understand if this new game played essentially the same as XIII-2 and development started in August. That's a dev cycle of approximately 1 year with every assets being virtually the same. They are doing NEW STUFF with this game and are planning to have it out in 2013? Sorry. This reeks of disaster.

'Development' could mean like full development, all previous concept and writing and stuff could already be finished

So they're not ruling out more FFXIII? It's time to update that SquareEnix "Do You Want This Game" Chart to reflect -> No -> It's now a seven part chronicle.

Zomba13

Hells to the yeah! Can't wait for more SE time and money being spent on this shitty entry and world and characters. Who wants a brand new FF or new IPs or sequels/remakes/FF Vs XIII when we can get more lightening and possibly more FFXIII universe if this sells well.

totowhoa

Banned
Versus isn't ready. They need games to release in the interim. It's really a very simple concept in terms of business.

Yeah, it's definitely more a problem of Square opening it's mouth regarding Versus XIII well before they should have, and I hope they've learned a lesson in this regard.

BECAUSE YOU DEMANDED IT

Because the invisible fans demanded it, while the tangible ones are still clamoring for new ip and a remake of Final Fantasies IV through VIII.

How many 13 spinoffs before Versus show up?

As long as there are people asking for more Lightning apparently.

But they aren't!

AIUSFBAISUHF:OIAHSF{H?AS:FHSA{HF{OHA F

The goddess farron is back!!! Im the happiest person ever right now. So fitting for her to be pushed as the main reason for people to buy the game, such an awesome character. And they are actually making her more badass than she already is.

God Bless Square Enix!

I don't mean to sound rude but I think this was the only post that expressed hype for the game here. :p

And whats the problem? Should I not enjoy a game announcement because the other people in here are hating left and right? Doesn't sounds like something a reasonable person would do. I wouldn't do that for sure.

image.php

This seemingly leaning closer to an action game probably means I'll enjoy it more than the majority of the series so far, but that of course depends on how it actually plays. The counter sounds pretty interesting. Also, I will buy 32 copies of this game if there is a bikini for Lightning.

Top Bottom