• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 GI information (Spartan OPs, multi, etc) [Update: Campaign/More Details]

Just awful. So many awful things.

Sprint shouldn't be base, get your CoD out of my Halo.

Seeing through walls? Way to take any element of skill out of the game.

The power weapon random spawn is absurd.

I don't want to know why MP is happening, that takes a lot out of it.

I am thoroughly disappointed.

Just curious, what do you mean by this?

Why is sprinting "CoD?" Almost every modern shooter has some form of running or sprinting. Going back to Halo games after playing other shooters just made you feel slow as hell. The base movement speed coupled with the animations make it look like you are casually walking around maps in the heat of battle, Spartans should be able to run.

They should make the base speed faster then.

H3xum

Why is sprinting "CoD?" Almost every modern shooter has some form of running or sprinting. Going back to Halo games after playing other shooters just made you feel slow as hell. The base movement speed coupled with the animations make it look like you are casually walking around maps in the heat of battle, Spartans should be able to run.

You just answered your own question. Halo has always been paced a bit slower, not just the run speed. The time it takes to kill, the time it takes to get from A to B, etc. That's the speed Halo has always been and now they're changing it. It isn't slow because other games are fast, it's it's speed and other games aren't, so adjusting it makes it CoD-esque

Homeboyd said:
He's talking about 343's explanation of why Reds fight Blues and the backstory they've created for it.

Yep

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

You just answered your own question. Halo has always been paced a bit slower, not just the run speed. The time it takes to kill, the time it takes to get from A to B, etc. That's the speed Halo has always been and now they're changing it. It isn't slow because other games are fast, it's it's speed and other games aren't, so adjusting it makes it CoD-esque

See that's the thing, I think if the base speed was faster and the animations dependent on what position the analog stick was in were changed to show an increase in movement speed and animation from walking to jogging/running you would see far less "we need sprint" talk.

Halo being "slower" naturally doesn't mean it cannot evolve to encompass some modern shooter techniques that have helped the genre overall though. I don't think the addition of sprint makes Halo any less of a Halo game, it just begins to add new concepts to the mix.

Personally I think sprint is the best thing to add to the game. I could care less about the other abilities, but being able to actually avoid sniper fire and go cover to cover without seemingly "walking" around the map feeling like it takes 10 minutes to get back into battle would be great.

Just my opinion of course, but Halo 4 can afford to add in some of the best things modern shooters have offered without losing the Halo feel. If the series just kept the exact same things as the game had in 2001 or 2004 then the series is doing little to evolve with modern gameplay design.

Maybe I'm just crazy though. :p

Falagard

Yeah, I'm worried that the base speed will be slower than necessary *because* they want to add in sprinting.

Personally, I'd prefer to have Halo 2 style movement speed than a slow base speed plus sprinting.

Hopefully we'll see a good base movement speed, and sprinting only add a little boost to that speed.

ruxtpin

Banned
hmm... I'm just happy for more Halo. All the games have been a little bit different, but I've enjoyed them all. Perhaps I'm not invested enough in multiplayer to care about the changes that have been made to Halo with each new iteration.

When it comes down to it Halo is one of those game series that just makes me happy being there. It reminds me of a more carefree time in my life (high-school and uni days), so when a new Halo launches I get to re-live that period in a way... Take a day or two off, run through the campaign, yell at my friends online, etc.

Just awful. So many awful things.

Sprint shouldn't be base, get your CoD out of my Halo.

Seeing through walls? Way to take any element of skill out of the game.

The power weapon random spawn is absurd.

I don't want to know why MP is happening, that takes a lot out of it.

I am thoroughly disappointed.

Just because sprint is in Call of Duty, doesn't make it a call of duty trademark. If I was a Spartan, I'd probably be running sometimes, like if I was chasing someone or if I was getting shot at.

Funny thing is that as much as people are complaining this will be a much more accessible game (and probably more fun) than H3 and Reach.

People act like H3 is a good game which I think is funny. The H1/H2 pros hated it, noobs hated it and it was the beginning of a spiral downward that the series will hopefully recover from in H4. Everything from map design to weapon design was just awful in H3 and the campaign was mediocre.

Being able to jump right into a game in progress with a weapon like a DMR or BR right off the bat is going empower a lot more players. I think this might be the best one since H2 which is funny because my first post in this thread completely dismissed this game...

Yager

Banned
Haters gonna hate. i love how people complaints about the changes that 343 is introducing to the game, when the people that complaints has no clue on how's going to be. I know, welcome to the internet bla bla bla, but sometimes I just find it ridiculous. I didn't know that so many people in GAF were able to put their hands in an alpha-beta version of the game to argue if one change or another is going to ruin the whole game.

grkazan12

I have to agree with DC as well. Don't get me wrong I loved halo 1-3, but the formula for me at least got kind of stale by the time reach came out. A faster halo with the addition of sprint and instant spawns will only make it feel more rapid than drawn out.

One final thing that I hope they implement in 4 is that your armor parts and or weapon mods can have an actual effect gameplay. I like the customization in reach, the armors looked so cool, but the fact that they were just cosmetic was a real letdown.

Will get it day one for the story alone, but I hope 343 can do some exciting things with multiplayer.

Yager

Banned
This whole need to use fiction to justify gameplay changes is really starting to irk me.

Well, you know, that's for making a more cohesive universe, bla bla bla. But I agree with you: there's no need for that. For example, I never cared why red and blue are fighting, basically because it's a game and the only thing I wanna see when I play the multi is people flying and nades exploding. Anyway, if it's done right, well good.

TheOddOne

Haters gonna hate. i love how people complaints about the changes that 343 is introducing to the game, when the people that complaints has no clue on how's going to be. I know, welcome to the internet bla bla bla, but sometimes I just find it ridiculous. I didn't know that so many people in GAF were able to put their hands in an alpha-beta version of the game to argue if one change or another is going to ruin the whole game.
Ok, I’ve been seeing this sentiment for a while now and I agree to some extent; however I do feel that people who have played the series before have every right to be critical of the changes. Usually they offer a different perspective on modes they have played for a long time, such as downsides and balancing issues. Just to lump everybody into the group that doesn’t want to change is kind of irritating.

The thing about is that people think the “hardcore” have already set this game, on the contrary most are looking at it more critical than ever and have not written it off (even the most sarcastic people are looking forward to it). Most agree that on paper these changes sounds horrible (I am also in that group), but we have yet to see the execution. It might be for the best, but like 343 even noted they knew that the more loyal community would get riled up.

Yager

Banned
Ok, I’ve been seeing this sentiment for a while now and I agree to some extent; however I do feel that people who have played the series before have every right to be critical of the changes. Usually they offer a different perspective on modes they have played for a long time, such as downsides and balancing issues. Just to lump everybody into the group that doesn’t want to change is kind of irritating.

The thing about is that people think the “hardcore” have already set this game, on the contrary most are looking at it more critical than ever and have not written it off (even the most sarcastic people are looking forward to it). Most agree that on paper these changes sounds horrible (I am also in that group), but we have yet to see the execution. It might be for the best, but like 343 even noted they knew that the more loyal community would get riled up.

Well, I've played every one of Halo game and spent hundred of hours in the MP, and of course that people has the right to be critical to the changes that they're introducing. But one thing is that and the other starting to hate without reason and saying things like "this is COD, not Halo"; of course they can think whatever they want, but I think that most of them are haters that couldn't care less about the game. I don't like some of the changes that they anounced, but I also now that the game is under development and that most of the things they said hadn't been explained properly and in detail.

TheOddOne

Well, I've played every one of Halo game and spent hundred of hours in the MP, and of course that people has the right to be critical to the changes that they're introducing. But one thing is that and the other starting to hate without reason and saying things like "this is COD, not Halo"; of course they can think whatever they want, but I think that most of them are haters that couldn't care less about the game. I don't like some of the changes that they anounced, but I also now that the game is under development and that most of the things they said hadn't been explained properly and in detail.
Even the most hardcore players have called some of the features COD ripoffs, even some of the names are straight out of COD.

People will react ofcource how they will, but don't go all "Haters Gonna Hate" for nothing, to some extent it is very valid. It feels nobody has really written the game off, just a little concerned that is all.

It blows my mind that people still don't want things like sprint added. If you "loyal" fans were the only type of people making games, we'd still be stuck with side scrolling shooters. The future of halo is the future of all shooters, more immersive experiences . This means you'll be able to run, because thats what Spartans should be able to do. If you're worried about the balancing of it all, understandable. But have some imagination...not what halo has been, but what halo could be.

Yager

Banned
Even the most hardcore players have called some of the features COD ripoffs, even some of the names are straight out of COD.

People will react ofcource how they will, but don't go all "Haters Gonna Hate" for nothing, to some extent it is very valid. It feels nobody has really written the game off, just a little concerned that is all.

I'm not saying that everyone that's complaining is a hater, but some seem to be.

KageMaru

Basically this. I don't care for Halo but making it a near instagib arena fps 24/7 takes out a lot of strategy. It's painfully obvious that Halo 4 is trying to take the popular elements of Call of Duty in the campaign and multiplayer.

I can understand how CoD applies to the MP changes, but what CoD elements are they putting in the campaign?

H3xum

I like how "loyal" fans are adverse to any and all changes no matter what.

I don't understand this.

Yes, you become a loyal fan of a game because you like the way it plays better than the way other games play, so when you see your game adding elements of other games, why WOULDN'T you be upset?

I suppose the sooner I come to terms with the fact that everything is just a cash grab now-a-days the sooner I'll be able to stop caring, that's what they want, anyway.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I am a very loyal fan of the franchise and am a self-proclaimed "fanboy" even though I hate the term, but I realize that Halo needs to evolve to keep up with the ever-changing landscape of the modern FPS genre.

I'm not saying you need to completely change the series and shoehorn it into a CoD mold by any means, but it seems like Halo is the one series that didn't want to change anything to match modern shooters.

It gets me that people think by adding a few things here and there to modernize multiplayer that Halo wont be Halo anymore. I understand the qualms a lot of you have, but it's the one-off "keep CoD out of my Halo" or "wow Halo is now CoD" comments that get to me. In order for a franchise to remain fresh beyond even 2 games, let alone 4 (main) over a 11 year span you need to keep updating and modernizing gameplay mechanics.

tl;dr In my opinion Halo is not going to stop being Halo because some modern components are being added to help create a fresh and new gameplay experience for Halo fans.

Yager

Banned
I don't understand this.

Yes, you become a loyal fan of a game because you like the way it plays better than the way other games play, so when you see your game adding elements of other games, why WOULDN'T you be upset?

I suppose the sooner I come to terms with the fact that everything is just a cash grab now-a-days the sooner I'll be able to stop caring, that's what they want, anyway.

So, what you're saying is that every new game in a franchise should be exactly the same as the first one to keep the "loyal" fans happy? So what would be the point of introducing new elements and mechanics, or even making more games of that franchise? Evolution is part of gaming.

It blows my mind that people still don't want things like sprint added. If you "loyal" fans were the only type of people making games, we'd still be stuck with side scrolling shooters. The future of halo is the future of all shooters, more immersive experiences . This means you'll be able to run, because thats what Spartans should be able to do. If you're worried about the balancing of it all, understandable. But have some imagination...not what halo has been, but what halo could be.
What spartans should be able to do is different than what makes multiplayer fun or what's necessary for Halo. Halo 1, 2, and 3's success was defined without sprint. And armor abilities in Reach were met with a ton of controversy, the one game that had sprint in it. I'm not even arguing for one way or the other. I'm just saying that having sprint in Halo isn't going to suddenly vault it into some amazing level of awesomeness that you seem to associate with the future of shooters. Games have been there done that. Sprint is old hat and Halo would have been fine without it had 343 chosen not to include it.

There's a big difference between loyalty to a game and loyalty to a franchise. A lot of fans are loyal to 1 or a few of the games, but are doing nothing to support the progression of the franchise.

GhaleonEB

This 'loyal fan' just wants the core of the game nailed, big time. Movement, firing cadence, the golden tripod. Just a rock solid foundation upon which the rest of the game is built. It's that core that defines what Halo is, and that was Reach's biggest failing.

What I've seen and heard have me feeling good about that core in Halo 4; it looks like Halo game, and the new features layered upon it sound like a natural evolution for the series.

H3xum

So, what you're saying is that every new game in a franchise should be exactly the same as the first one to keep the "loyal" fans happy? So what would be the point of introducing new elements and mechanics, or even making more games of that franchise? Evolution is part of gaming.

Evolution is great.

Adding sprint like every other FPS (there, happy, I didn't say CoD) is not evolution

What made Halo great in the first place wasn't a mish-mash of existing gameplay elements, and adding them in now is hardly evolving the game, it's editing it to be more like the others.

What spartans should be able to do is different than what makes multiplayer fun or what's necessary for Halo. Halo 1, 2, and 3's success was defined without sprint. And armor abilities in Reach were met with a ton of controversy, the one game that had sprint in it. I'm not even arguing for one way or the other. I'm just saying that having sprint in Halo isn't going to suddenly vault it into some amazing level of awesomeness that you seem to associate with the future of shooters. Games have been there done that. Sprint is old hat and Halo would have been fine without it had 343 chosen not to include it.

Which is why I said if you're concerned about balance, then that's understandable. But I'm saying what I believe should be in a future Halo game. I've seen sprint work in games, I think it can work in Halo. I liked it in Halo Reach; I have faith that they can make it even better and more balanced in 4.

There's a big difference between loyalty to a game and loyalty to a franchise. A lot of fans are loyal to 1 or a few of the games, but are doing nothing but harm in supporting the progression of the franchise.
Change is great as long as it adds to the experience and doesn't subtract. There are some ideas being presented by 343 that hurt the game and go against what Halo has traditionally been. Sprint, in its current form, adds more problems than it does benefits. Another example: Loadouts and AAs. No one is starting on equal footing anymore and thus introduces a "rock-paper-scissors" element where Halo has traditionally relied upon a mastery of the basic sandbox. Solution: Make AAs pick-ups, something to fight over – following Halo's formula of map control – with a progression system to be able to use them. Clarifying: You may have fought over the jetpack and won, but because you're not a level five or higher, you can't use it.

Falagard

This 'loyal fan' just wants the core of the game nailed, big time. Movement, firing cadence, the golden tripod. Just a rock solid foundation upon which the rest of the game is built. It's that core that defines what Halo is, and that was Reach's biggest failing.

What I've seen and heard have me feeling good about that core in Halo 4; it looks like Halo game, and the new features layered upon it sound like a natural evolution for the series.

QFT, THIS. As long as they nail the core gameplay I'll be happy. Reach did not.

Evolution is great.

Adding sprint like every other FPS (there, happy, I didn't say CoD) is not evolution

What made Halo great in the first place wasn't a mish-mash of existing gameplay elements, and adding them in now is hardly evolving the game, it's editing it to be more like the others.

Hell spartans dont even need sprint just faster normal movement.

Yager

Banned
Evolution is great.

That depends. After playing tons of hours in Reach, I find difficult to go back to Halo 3 and playing without the possibility of sprinting. It just feels old. I mean, it's still being a great game, but it's not the same. It just feels...old?

I don't believe that introducing elements from another games is bad if it's done correctly, but of course they also need to introduce some "truly new" stuff. Or are games that use the "cover-to-cover" mechanic of Gears bad just because of not having something of their own? The key is to merge succesfully things from other games without loosing your own "personality" and adding stuff of your own, and I believe that's what they're trying to do. And that's evolving.

Change is great as long as it adds to the experience and doesn't subtract. There are some ideas being presented by 343 that hurt the game and go against what Halo has traditionally been. Sprint, in its current form, adds more problems than it does benefits. Another example: Loadouts and AAs. No one is starting on equal footing anymore and thus introduces a "rock-paper-scissors" element where Halo has traditionally relied upon a mastery of the basic sandbox. Solution: Make AAs pick-ups, something to fight over – following Halo's formula of map control – with a progression system to be able to use them. Clarifying: You may have fought over the jetpack and won, but because you're not a level five or higher, you can't use it.

I might agree with you on aa pickups and not having weapon loadouts, but sprinting, man, I just think its tried and true with shooters at this point. It may not have been perfect in Reach, but maybe thats because it was only an option. Mistakes will be made; but sometimes you need mistakes to see the light and move forward, rather than playing it safe.

Ladies and Gentlemen WE HAVE A WINNER

I might agree with you on aa pickups and not having weapon loadouts, but sprinting, man, I just think its tried and true with shooters at this point. It may not have been perfect in Reach, but maybe thats because it was only an option. Mistakes will be made; but sometimes you need mistakes to see the light and move forward, rather than playing it safe.
Sprinting in Reach has not convinced me that it works in a Halo game. In fact, it has made me more adverse to it. Additionally, you (maybe not you, but others) seem to be equating "advancing the franchise" to "do whatever every other franchise has" when they're not the same thing and lead to different outcomes.

I keep going back to that gif of the hitscan Halo 4 BR shooting with the fast base movement and the lack of health packs to worry about, and then I don't get so upset about anything. As long as Armor Lock is out and the AAs are changed from how they work in Reach, I can live with whatever, I think.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but is there any talk in the article of the base movement speed? I know sprint is in, but will the base speed be as slow as Reach or faster?

Not directly mentioned, but it was reported to be faster than Reach when they showed it off at the Spring Showcase.

Summary of the comments made by Frank and David:
  • Not much can be said for now about the multiplayer for now in detail, because Gameinformer has a exclusivity period. (Source)
  • There will be a podcast clarifying some of the multiplayer changes, however the podcast will not release this week and there is no ETA on it. (I will update this thread when it’s available) (Source)
  • Some of the conclusions reached with the GI article are not entirely accurate, some of the MP items mentioned have been changed since the media visit. This will be clarified in the near future. (Source)
  • 343 knows that some of the changes in multiplayer are going to be controversial in some circles, but they have not made these changes lightly. They have been clearly thought out and will be continued to be tweaked on based on player feedback. (Source)
  • Multiplayer changes that "invested, emotional" players are "raising eyebrows slightly at" are being very misinterpreted ("random" weapon spawns for example). This will be clarified in the future.(Source)
  • Some of the features and abilities (in the article) are being discussed without context. Again, this will be clarified in the future. (Source)
  • 343 promises that it feels like Halo and does not feel or act like other games it’s being compared to. They do understand that people jumped the conclusion fast, but when players play it they will know.(Source)
  • There is no romance forming between Cortana and Master Chief. (Source)
  • Forerunner Vision isn’t really like UAV in COD, this will be clarified in the future. (Source)
  • Weapon drops are not “Random”, they are telegraphed and in some ways, predictable. There is a variation though. (Source)
  • Map control will still be important, but it has changed to some degree. (Source)
  • Custom games will be heavily customizable, and initial playlist will be clean and focused. Players will not be presented with a stack of lists, but there will be a variety of different tastes. (Source 1, Source 2)
  • Halo 4’s Infinity section will feature every aspect of multiplayer, except co-op campaign. (Source)
  • There will be new and traditional modes under Infinity and it will have zero effect on the scale, size, content or appearance of MP spaces. (Source)
  • You cannot use Forerunner Vision to see players anywhere on the map. (Source)
  • Instant respawns will not be enabled in objective based modes. (Source)
  • Visuals for Forerunner Vision are still being worked on. (Source)
  • Nothing will be said about ranking or progression in detail for a while. (Source)
  • Halo 4’s Multiplayer is not using True Skill in the same way Reach did. (Source)
  • Armor Lock is not coming back. (Source)
  • With Firefight not coming back, Spartan ops will scratch that and other itches. (Source)
  • Battle Rifle will be recoil. (Source)
  • Dual Wielding will not be coming back. (Source)
Note: Be sure to check out the source, some things might make more sense in the context of how they where answered.

My guess is that Frank and David are going to keep mum for a while, do not expect more crumbs coming out the community thread. The upcoming podcast seem to be where the next explosion of information is going to come from. For those who don’t know, 343 podcast is named “Sparkast” and can be found via Itunes (I have no idea where they put it on Halo Waypoint).

Also, Gameinformer will be updating their Halo 4 hub all month with all kinds of info; including a interview with 343’s audio director Sotaro Tojima, reveal of the mystery composer of Halo 4 and more (hopefully).

Wow, awesome summary!

Yup, totally agree. Most, if not all of the new features sound perfect. Now its time to get excited and wait to see how these features are executed.

Sprinting in Reach has not convinced me that it works in a Halo game. In fact, it has made me more adverse to it. Additionally, you (maybe not you, but others) seem to be equating "advancing the franchise" to "do whatever every other franchise has" when they're not the same thing and lead to different outcomes.

No, I equate advancing the franchise with doing things that are technically and conceptually feasible, as well as tried and true. I believe sprinting is all of those. Has a Halo game had a sprint enabled for everyone yet? And I'm not saying 343 should build the game like any other halo game then just throw sprint in, maybe thats the reason it didn't work well in Reach. And its sorta obvious they did that (to some degree) in Reach multiplayer because they remade previous halo maps that didn't work with AA at all.

question did some of you not see the reveal trailer. On that alone you could tell the base speed is much faster. Heck you didn't see any of the AA in action and the base movement was fast.

Nothing wrong with sprint helps you from being a sitting duck on big maps against snipers.

daedalius

Oh Glal.

You so dreamy

Needs to be on every page:
gif3bqadk.gif

Sprint is fine; necessary on big team maps almost. Some smaller maps are ok without it, but that's what we have all that customization for.

Also being able to run doesn't mean its CoD.

And just to be clear, I wasn't trying to point fingers when I said "loyal" fans a few posts back. I know a lot of you over on halogaf really do want whats best for the game and not just a halo 2 remake...right?

Werhil

How about camping with Camo, let someone walk past you, sprint and then melee from behind.

What's the problem? People who make themselves invisible and sit in one spot waiting for someone to walk by are simply really good and skilled players! You have to be good at the game to not push any buttons, stare at the screen, then push a button when you see some lesser-skilled person pass in front of you!

Top Bottom