• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 GI information (Spartan OPs, multi, etc) [Update: Campaign/More Details]

Missed the part about weapon customization. Is this confirmed? If so fuck this game. Fuck this game.

Not sure are they cosmetically or stats upgrades and if they are stats how strong are they.
And what do you guys think of the new Elite designs i like them looks a bit more mature.
I would be pissed if grunts dont return.

Max

I am not Max
Sounds like a bunch of stuff that is meant as a default setting, with 'Classic' settings included

I don't see any problem with competitiveness, if that's the case

Raide

Sounds like a bunch of stuff that is meant as a default setting, with 'Classic' settings included

I don't see any problem with competitiveness, if that's the case

I am sure that is the case. There are a few people in this thread that are a bit rage-filled, without knowing all the details. Of course, if this turns out to be true, feel free to rage at 343 and MS and not buy the game but classically Bungie/343 add a good few options to appeal to different gamers.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I personally don't think it will be ruined, it just won't be the classic Halo that fans want. I am sure there will be plenty of options in there that have more classic choices. Unless 343 really do want to piss of their fans, then god help them. :D

I hope they go back to the 1-50 Ranking for Halo 4. How all of the choices pan out, we will find out but since there is no Beta, it will be a long wait.

It doesn't matter what the changes actually are, even if I thought the instant spawns and random weapon drops were cool, I'd still say that less features ruins it.

Halo has been moving steadily towards complete customization, first with the gametypes in 2 and then forge in 3 and an almost perfect harmony between the two in reach. If they do these things but don't offer alternatives then it's a huge step backwards, whether you like the changes or not.

Tzeentch

-- Taking bets now that they have a Last Stand perk :) It will be called Lone Spartan and the backstory behind it will be that "Spartans never die alone."

Nice, another multiplayer game is losing its personnality to shoehorn some CoD feature into it. Great, there aren't enough MP games that apes CoD.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I welcome the changes if I have fun when I play the game. In fact, good for you 343i, branching this far from the formula on your first iteration takes a lot of confidence. If Halo 4 kills the franchise, it was still an amazing 10 years. I can't complain.

Kahoona

The Spartan Points sound a whole lot like Microsoft Points. I wouldn't be surprised to see $$$ -> Microsoft Points -> Spartan Points.

Raide

I welcome the changes if I have fun when I play the game. In fact, good for you 343i, branching this far from the formula on your first iteration takes a lot of confidence. If Halo 4 kills the franchise, it was still an amazing 10 years. I can't complain.

A million times this. It might end up being damn fun!

My main downer is the fact Forge is not mentioned. lol

monome

why don t we wait befire we say rome is burning.
Halo needs a bigger community and fetching CoD playerd is the only way to get there

Instant respawns is crazg but who knows. It s all about execution.

Customfest is bard to balance. Yet there are maths geniuses at 343.

Only concrete info is it played well.

Sprint and instaPawns are great to mane the game fast and furious.
I hate campers so a solutiob to get them into troubles appreciated

The weekly CG unlocks is boner worthy.
Get excite bitches the Chief is back

Emitan

Halo needs a bigger community and fetching CoD playerd is the only way to get there

marketingggggggggggg

Those cod player will jump ship when next cod release or the next AAA title and return to their cod. Better to make the game around your core fans that will play and buy dlc or season pass.

Sojgat

The Spartan Points sound a whole lot like Microsoft Points. I wouldn't be surprised to see $$$ -> Microsoft Points -> Spartan Points.

They sound more like CoD points. This sounds so awful I can see why some people think it's fake.

monome

marketingggggggggggg

does me analy pinning you sound markety?

Come on, we re all excite.
It s good times when i browse google to fetch GI scans.

Some gaffers need to show love, it s not all doom and gloom.
my biggest grioe witv reach was the browny mood abd the deserted playlusts.

I ynderTand why a big Halo needs to be sophisticated rather than Halo2+

sp3000

One thing I respected about Bungie was that they never catered to the whole casual and COD money crap. It's pretty funny that Halo Reach was the only major FPS in 2010 that didn't have idiotic ADS thrown in just because it would make things easier for COD players

I guess 343 is trying desperately to lure in new players instead of trying to satisfy their existing fanbase. Nothing wrong with chasing sales, but I don't have any interest in buying a game that has the features listed in this article.

monome

Those cod player will jump ship when next cod release or the next AAA title and return to their cod. Better to make the game around your core fans that will play and buy dlc or season pass.

let s be clear.
I m ready to pay 200€ bucks a year for pure Halo.
Are you?
How many more.

Blue shells killed mario kart.
Abilities suck.
Custolisation makes you ponder ridiculous stuff instrad of playing.

But whrn new things work, you get a stronger game.
So i m optimist.
If game sucks i ll simoly play it less and go see whzt bungie does.

Halo going dramatic worries me, yet it could be awesome.
I love when money is thrown to a game so I hooe SP is great.
MP i only need one mide with good and regulat players to enjoy, so i m reserving jydgement

Whether halo goes premium or it fetches ideas from other games.
You can t go back or for it to hapoen halo needs to die and be saved.

Game design is much like cloth, furniture or car design :
The simpler and stronger, the more expensive.

343i can t under MS founding make Halo become elitist, I made my peace with that long ago.

Nobody gets crazy about regular new cg for spartanops?! Geeez

Most important to me is the Didact and if playable forerunner mode.
Uncool didact or no forerunner mode will make me weep

jono51

Banned
Lol'd hard at it all. I mean, who the fuck thought: "wow, there really aren't many console fps games with unlock trees and customisable loadouts. Lets add those in!"? And then adding random power weapons instead of map control & timing being important? And instant respawns? Lol. Console fps.

Dreaver

I am sure a lot of people - especially in the competitive scene - are not going to be happy with a lot of changes.
Stuff like "Random weapon drops" and "Instant respawning" are going to ruin the competitive scene sadly.

Map control is a skill. It's been made much less important to chase the CoD crowd.

So being the first to the power weapons is now a skill? Bullshit, it's a strategy, a very cheap one at that.

Randomized power weapon drops demand more skills as it pushes you out of your comfort zone, and people hate that.

I see this reaction all the time: Game rules are changed making one rethink it's strategy: NO FAIR! GAME RUINED! and in current gen speak: GAME CODified!

I really don't see how randomized power weapon drops would need less map awareness. If anything it would require a lot more. It would also help against the obnoxious camping that some people call skillfull playing when it's nothing more than learning the ins and outs of a single part of a map and then stay there.

Sure now a new player can get lucky and get the rocket launcher, but by all accounts, a power weapon in the hand of a noob is useless in Halo. Take the Sniper or Rockets for example. Ok, a noob might get 2 kills with it, but then he runs out of ammo.

I will say this: Skilled players will adapt, will form new strategies and challenge themselves, while those that delude themselves into having skills will whine and refuse to adapt.

Walshicus

I am sure a lot of people - especially in the competitive scene - are not going to be happy with a lot of changes.
Stuff like "Random weapon drops" and "Instant respawning" are going to ruin the competitive scene sadly.

To be fair the 'competitive scene' has been the shittiest part of the Halo community since it started. I for one am quite excited to see random power weapon drops, should keep maps fresher.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Who cares? Seriously, who cares about shit like MLG outside a few 16 year olds?

This is about growing the Halo player base going forward, not building an entire game around a few hundred nerds.

• Story starts 4.5 years after the events of Halo 3
  • Will address issues of rampancy
  • Inside of helmet visible at screen corners.
  • 720p + FXAA
  • Entirely new antagonist (hmmmm)
  • Spartan OPs represents away missions from the Infinity
  • Spartan OPs NOT PAYED, all episodes come with the game
  • 5 (!?) mission per cinematic/week
  • Several months of content

The article does contain some small first-mission/intro spoilers as well as a few others, so be warned.

HYPE GET!

Raide

You're right, this is a much more interesting way for Halo to die.

This late in the generation, even die hard Halo fans are getting tired and want something a bit new. Will that be Halo 4? Not sure but it might be the first new Halo for 720. Even if it fails, they can then proclaim the resurrection when the Halo 5 720 hype-train starts rolling. :D

monome

• 720p + FXAA

The article does contain some small first-mission/intro spoilers as well as a few others, so be warned.

HYPE GET!

nice.
I like you junior

Dreaver

Edit: Oops, I quoted my own post.

The singleplayer stuff sounds pretty good I have to say. I am certainly hyped for the singleplayer and also looking forward to the multiplayer though some things sound quite bad on paper.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Who cares? Seriously, who cares about shit like MLG outside a few 16 year olds?

This is about growing the Halo player base going forward, not building an entire game around a few hundred nerds.
To be fair the 'competitive scene' has been the shittiest part of the Halo community since it started. I for one am quite excited to see random power weapon drops, should keep maps fresher.

The longevity makes the money, not the initial push. Starcraft 2 has amazing longevity and look how competitive it is.

And that's why Team Slayer and competitive playlists are always more populated than the silly ones, right? Because no one wants to play anything competitive.

Sojgat

So being the first to the power weapons is now a skill? Bullshit, it's a strategy, a very cheap one at that.

Randomized power weapon drops demand more skills as it pushes you out of your comfort zone, and people hate that.

I see this reaction all the time: Game rules are changed making one rethink it's strategy: NO FAIR! GAME RUINED! and in current gen speak: GAME CODified!

I really don't see how randomized power weapon drops would need less map awareness. If anything it would require a lot more. It would also help against the obnoxious camping that some people call skillfull playing when it's nothing more than learning the ins and outs of a single part of a map and then stay there.

Sure now a new player can get lucky and get the rocket launcher, but by all accounts, a power weapon in the hand of a noob is useless in Halo. Take the Sniper or Rockets for example. Ok, a noob might get 2 kills with it, but then he runs out of ammo.

I will say this: Skilled players will adapt, will form new strategies and challenge themselves, while those that delude themselves into having skills will whine and refuse to adapt.

Whether you think it's a skill or not it is a fundamental part of Halo mulitplayer design. It always has been, Bungie themselves always said as much. People don't like change and people really don't like change that sounds stupid as soon as you hear about it. The power weapons sound essentially like strike packages now.

You better be able to turn off instant respawns. That could really ruin capture the flag.

Also, random weapon spawns might suck. I like that halo is about weapon control.

monome

• 720p + FXAA

HYPE GET!

nice.
I like you junior

Could be the infinity is not the crashed ship or the mission will recall previous to halo 4 eventd

• 720p + FXAA

HYPE GET!

Aah the helmet is in principle a vignette could be the reason they got 720p

The enemies are also referred to as being "more intelligent and menacing" than the Covenant. They can apparently work together/combine to provide different challenges. Sounds a bit like the Sentinels from Ghosts of Onyx.

Oh, and first mission spoilers:
The Forward Unto Dawn is being boarded by rogue Covenant. Their armor looks weird, like the Halo 2 Heretics but more hi-tech. Looks interesting. I wonder if the Arbiter will make a return somewhere through the game.

Top Bottom